got new 4k screen, UI resolution/size change nowhere

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

aquinox

• Warnings: 1

got new 4k screen, UI resolution/size change nowhere

PostWed Sep 11, 2019 9:11 pm

Hi!
Im looking to get my UI to be the same size as it was on my 1440p screen but with the surface/ amount of pixels of 2160p. 4k. What do I do? windows is not a viable option.
also in program popup windows appear in the edge of the screen... how to fix this??
AMD3700x
32GB DDR4
RTX2060 super
SSD
Win10

Time wasted due to resolve bugs: 38 hours (and counting.. just used for 6 months)
Time wasted due to Premiere bugs: 108 hrs (final)

Jim Simon

Re: got new 4k screen, UI resolution/size change nowhere

PostThu Sep 12, 2019 1:50 am

aquinox wrote:Im looking to get my UI to be the same size as it was on my 1440p screen

Then you need a screen that is sufficiently large, as the point of more resolution is more screen real estate.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

CodeTech

PostThu Sep 12, 2019 5:30 am

Why is Windows not a viable option?
I run my 4K monitor at 200% scaling in order to make most apps fit properly, including Resolve.
Resolve Studio 19b1, Win11, i7-13700K, 64GB DDR5 RAM, 3080Ti (12GB) (551.86 Studio), 5TB M.2 SSDs, 90TB+ HDs, Three 4K monitors: 27", 28", 43", Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Presonus Studio Monitors

Rick van den Berg

PostThu Sep 12, 2019 8:58 am

say what? 200% makes everything superbig while 100% and everything in between makes everything too small. my screen is 32''

most other software adapt much better to the windows scaling. I thought this was still a resolve thing.

aquinox

PostThu Sep 12, 2019 10:34 am

Jim Simon wrote:
aquinox wrote:Im looking to get my UI to be the same size as it was on my 1440p screen

Then you need a screen that is sufficiently large, as the point of more resolution is more screen real estate.

Yes it is, i think we think the same but you read my message differently. I want to have more real estate, as in have more stuff on the same screen, but at the same size as everything was at 1440p. now everything is too big. if I set windows to 125, windows stuff will be too small
AMD3700x
32GB DDR4
RTX2060 super
SSD
Win10

Time wasted due to resolve bugs: 38 hours (and counting.. just used for 6 months)

Rick van den Berg

PostThu Sep 12, 2019 10:40 am

see this topic btw : viewtopic.php?f=21&t=95227
might be a solution at the bottom

aquinox

PostMon Sep 16, 2019 9:04 am

Thx Rick!
I tried changing the scaling and also different settings in compatibility in the .exe properties. No fix. the standard windows scaling was 150. when I change to 140 windows is still reasonably big, but my secondary screen has a way too big UI for windows like this (1440p). and Resolve turns to 100% scaling, which is too small. really hope they fix it quickly, i see people struggling with this since 2012!
AMD3700x
32GB DDR4
RTX2060 super
SSD
Win10

A_Ivanov

PostMon Sep 16, 2019 4:15 pm

God, how tired of suffering with this scale of the UI ...
Monitor 27 "2560x1440.
Scale windows 125%. This is of course a compromise, because I have different software in my work, like the vast majority, I guess.
The scale of DR is 100% too small, blood is coming from my eyes, I'm not a young man already. The scale of 200% is too large, it is HUGE, it completely interferes with the work.
The same story and, for example, ADOBE. But it helps a little that the system fonts that can be customized are used.
And this does not last the first year. It seems to me that there is such a design agency where all software manufacturers order a GUI (except for one manufacturer, more on that below). It is undoubtedly in hell. And the process of working on ordering another GUI looks like this:
- So, what scale will be convenient for work and comfortable for the eyes? - the first Damn.
- Approximately 130% - 170% in 10% increments is suitable for 95% of professional designers, editors, producers and other assholes, - the second Damn.
- So ... I propose to leave 100% and let them suffer further, - the first Damn.
- It will not work, users are pressing on the customer. He already got it with this UI. That's why he turned to us, - the second Damn.
- And what can we offer, so that the work could be done, and that it would be practically useless? - the first Damn.
- Well, you can, for example, make a scale of 200% ... - the second Damn smiles.
- Perfectly! Sumptuously! Another useless scale! - the first Devil, laughs, continues: - Yes! Damn good! Have you bought a new monitor? Try to take advantage of it! .. Ah ha ha ha! .. - the first Devil laughs devilishly. The second Devil laughs devilishly too.
In 20 minutes.
- And what is the ideal system in general? - first Damn, wiping away tears.
- If, apart from the GUI scale, in 1% increments, it would be possible to change the font and its size. It would be a great gift for everyone. We would go broke then. - says the second Devil, and suddenly begins to cry.
- Glory to the Infernal Satan that no one knows this! - the first Damn, pours himself a red liquid. The inscription on the bottle: "Blood From the Eyes."
- Alas! .. They know! Some bastards make a GUI for NUKE, - the second Damn loudly blows his nose in a scarf.
All this would be ridiculous if it did not concern us and our health directly. How is this wonderful story with wishes to Microsoft - to make a not so bright theme of design, my eyes hurt. It was understood, of course, that on a bright white sheet it was painful to look at black text. (You just had to muffle white by 10-15 percent.) Guess who doesn’t know what Microsoft did? That's right, made a hellish black theme with white text. Eyes immediately explode. But formally it’s not as bright as the first, is it? ;)
When I open NUKE, I'm just glad that there is a program in which I can configure everything perfectly for myself - size, color, font; I can arrange the windows as it suits me (I have three monitors). Nothing distracts me, I have everything at hand. And after that I open Fusion ... And I understand that, despite the fact that Fusion is integrated in DR, it’s more convenient, faster to do it in Nuke.
I would like to remind developers that the interface should at least not interfere with work and health. It should not be too contrasty, but also not merge (now it is close to this), all letters and numbers should be well read. For DR-level software, you need an interface scale in 10% increments, since this is not a version 1.0 program that appeared yesterday.
And ideally, you need not be afraid, open Nuke, look and do exactly that.
PS
I like the new CUT module. You are well done. But I catch myself thinking that if the Devil offered me to make the same interface configuration options in DR as in Nuke, but for this I would have to give him CUT, I would probably agree. But it is not exactly :)

GUI samples from my monitor (AE, Premiere, Nuke, Resolve, Fusion).

Resolve:

Fusion:

Nuke:

Premiere:

AE:

Return to DaVinci Resolve