my video being cropped

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

CrashLanding2

my video being cropped

PostWed Sep 11, 2019 6:16 pm

Hi,
I just upgraded to Resolve 16. Now when I import a video clip, the clip is apparently being cropped to a smaller size and 16:9. I can't find how to fix it. The clip is a folder of DNGs. They are 4920 x 3280. But I am seeing only part of the image, possibly only 4K of it, even though I am at a zoom of 1. If I zoom out I do not see any more of the original image. In Media the clip appears normally. This didn't happen with the last version I was using, 15 I think. I found Cropping, Dynamic Zoom and Stabilization turned on. I turned them off. Didn't help. the image is also cropped in Color Correction. Please tell me what I need to change to fix this.
Thank you.

CrashLanding2

Re: my video being cropped

PostFri Sep 13, 2019 7:18 pm

I found where I can fix this one clip on the timeline. I went to File > Project Settings > Image Scaling > Mismatched Resolution Files and changed it from Center Crop with no Resizing to Scale entire image to fit.
this made the new clip appear normally and allows me to scale and move it about. But now all my other clips lost their setups, appearing all over the screen at various sizes. I changed this setting back to the default and now my other clips appear as they should, but the new clip I added with this new version of Resolve is back to being cropped. When I changed the setting only the new clip was selected, I think.

Jim Simon

PostFri Sep 13, 2019 7:55 pm

You can change that setting for a single clip in the Inspector.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

CrashLanding2

PostSat Sep 14, 2019 4:02 pm

Where is the inspector ?

CrashLanding2

PostSat Sep 14, 2019 4:51 pm

In clip attributes Image Sizing Preset is set to None, and everything here is grayed out, not adjustable.

CrashLanding2

PostSat Sep 14, 2019 5:04 pm

OK, sorry, I see the inspector. I see it most of the time in Edit mode. I just found the switches for Cropping, Stabilization, Retime & Scaling and Lens Correction were turned on again even though I had turned them off before. Perhaps I didn't save the settings as I have had some crashes. Turning these switches off didn't change anything I can see. Image still being cropped. Perhaps you mean that I can zoom, and move left and right here. I can. But for this clip only, when I zoom out I find the image is cropped. Not all of it is showing in Edit. So if I zoom out I do not see more of the image. All of the image shows in media. The image shown in Edit is cropped to 16:9.

CrashLanding2

PostMon Sep 30, 2019 5:17 pm

I sure wish I could get technical support on this. I am at an impass. I cannot continue my project without resolving this issue !

Jim Simon

PostMon Sep 30, 2019 9:43 pm

CrashLanding2 wrote:Perhaps you mean that I can zoom

No, I mean you can change the Input Scaling for that clip, independent of the Project settings.
Last edited by Jim Simon on Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Justin Rapp

PostTue Oct 01, 2019 1:16 am

Double click the “Retiming and Scaling” in the clip inspector to open the options. From their you can pick from the drop down menu all the scaling options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrashLanding2

PostSun Oct 06, 2019 4:00 pm

When I select the clip and then double click on Retime and Scaling in the inspector, the four options are grayed out because Retime and Scaling is turned off. If I turn it on the four options are defaulting to "Project Settings". The other options available under scaling are Crop, Fit, Fill and Stretch. Changing these settings seems to have no effect on the selected clip.
I was just reminded that this is a compound clip. It is two sets of raw images compounded to make the color settings apply to both. They are the same time lapse sequence, but the frame numbering started over again and so Resolve sees it out of order. I could just go back and renumber it, since I have a program I wrote to do just that. What I did is select the beginning of the sequence from the end of the shot and put that on the timeline, then I selected the end of the sequence from the beginning of the clip and put that on the timeline. Then I selected both clips to make a single compound clip. Could that be part of the problem ?
I just ran an experiment. I took one of the two clips and put it on the timeline. It is not cropped. So I have a fix. I can remove the one compound clip and put the two clips back onto the timeline. This is really more of a workaround. So I think there are two possible causes. 1. Because it is a compound clip it would not let go of the cropping that probably occurred because of a setting when the clip was put onto the timeline. Or. 2. When I upgraded to a newer version of Resolve, a setting had changed and so during import of the clip a cropping was frozen. The fix in either case is to remove the new clip from the timeline, change the setting, and then put the clip back on the timeline.
I think the setting is Retime and Scaling, which defaulted to on when I installed the newer version of Resolve.

Jean Claude

PostSun Oct 06, 2019 5:51 pm

CrashLanding2 wrote:When I select the clip and then double click on Retime and Scaling in the inspector, the four options are grayed out because Retime and Scaling is turned off. If I turn it on the four options are defaulting to "Project Settings". The other options available under scaling are Crop, Fit, Fill and Stretch. Changing these settings seems to have no effect on the selected clip.
I was just reminded that this is a compound clip. It is two sets of raw images compounded to make the color settings apply to both. They are the same time lapse sequence, but the frame numbering started over again and so Resolve sees it out of order. I could just go back and renumber it, since I have a program I wrote to do just that. What I did is select the beginning of the sequence from the end of the shot and put that on the timeline, then I selected the end of the sequence from the beginning of the clip and put that on the timeline. Then I selected both clips to make a single compound clip. Could that be part of the problem ?
I just ran an experiment. I took one of the two clips and put it on the timeline. It is not cropped. So I have a fix. I can remove the one compound clip and put the two clips back onto the timeline. This is really more of a workaround. So I think there are two possible causes. 1. Because it is a compound clip it would not let go of the cropping that probably occurred because of a setting when the clip was put onto the timeline. Or. 2. When I upgraded to a newer version of Resolve, a setting had changed and so during import of the clip a cropping was frozen. The fix in either case is to remove the new clip from the timeline, change the setting, and then put the clip back on the timeline.
I think the setting is Retime and Scaling, which defaulted to on when I installed the newer version of Resolve.

let us know in your results :?:
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Return to DaVinci Resolve