Ultrastudio Mini Monitor HDMI Out dropping in and out

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Craig Allan

Ultrastudio Mini Monitor HDMI Out dropping in and out

PostTue Sep 17, 2019 3:08 am

Have been using the Ultrastudio Mini Monitor for a while with no problem - using SDI out to a Panasonic Broadcast monitor. Working in Resolve 16. I have just plugged a HDMI monitor in but unfortunately I get drop out.

The monitor is an Atomos Shogun - no problem with the monitor.
The cable is only a 1ft cable - latest spec top quality production cable (8Sinn).
Drop outs are not consistent - generally drops out for about a second and then back on. Might go 5 sec then drop out - might go 10 sec then drop out - might go 1 sec then drop out.
Will happen if the playhead in Resolve is either stationary or moving.

Was hoping to get 2 reference monitors working - one HDMI and one SDI from the same convertor. I did try it - the same mini monitor will forward on 2 signals (HDMI and SDI) but as stated HDMI is dropping in and out. (Drop outs occur even with the HDMI lead plugged in ONLY. )

Wondered if it was overheating - let cool down and tried again whilst cold. Drop out occurred straight away.

Did read somewhere else that a flicker problem was resolved by using an SDI to HDMI convertor in line after the mini monitor. This suggests to me that the design of the Mini monitor has issues???

Would very much appreciate thoughts on how to resolve the drop outs and suggestions on how best (cheapest) to setup 2 reference monitors out of Resolve.

Thanks in advance.

PhotoJoseph

Re: Ultrastudio Mini Monitor HDMI Out dropping in and out

PostTue Mar 10, 2020 11:25 pm

Did you find a solution to this? I came here looking for a solution to what seems to be the same problem. I have an UltraStudio Mini Monitor and am using with Final Cut Pro X. If I connect a cheap HDMI monitor to it, it's fine. But if I connect an Atomos Ninja Inferno or Ninja V, at best I'll get a few frames of video to show up, but usually it just shows "no input".
https://youtube.com/photojoseph

Resolve Studio 18.6.5
macOS Sonoma 14.2.1
MacBook Pro M2 Max
96GB RAM
Blackmagic Cloud Store Mini on 10gb network
Synology RS1221+ 10gb
Blackmagic UltraStudio 4K Mini
ATOMOS NEON 4K reference monitor

Craig Allan

PostWed Mar 11, 2020 12:09 am

Hi

Sadly no . . . But . . . I think it has something to do with the HDMi protocol coming from the Ultrastudio Mini. There is an inline device that rectifies this and then I THINK it will work. I’m sorry I can’t remember the protocol but I’m sure a quick google search will reveal this. The part is only around $50 or so depending on which one you go for. I have just put this on hold till I have an absolute necessity for trying to make it work. Just haven’t felt inclined to spend the money on something that I can’t be sure on.

Biggest frustration is with BMD. This should be a simple answer for those who know. As you will see this post has been up for an age with no answer.

Hope this helps. Let me know how you go.

PhotoJoseph

PostWed Mar 11, 2020 12:14 am

Yeah this whole process is incredibly frustrating. Thanks for responding.
https://youtube.com/photojoseph

Resolve Studio 18.6.5
macOS Sonoma 14.2.1
MacBook Pro M2 Max
96GB RAM
Blackmagic Cloud Store Mini on 10gb network
Synology RS1221+ 10gb
Blackmagic UltraStudio 4K Mini
ATOMOS NEON 4K reference monitor

Samuel McDonough

PostWed Jun 24, 2020 11:53 pm

Hi fellas, I'm having the same issue with the Ultrastudio mini monitor going in to the Atomos Ninja V.

I had thought that it was the Atomos monitor/recorder, because I took the output of the Ultrastudio mini monitor to my Samsung HDTV and it worked just fine.

I'm not sure who's fault it is, but it sounds like a HDMI HDCP handshake issue. In that regards, a cheap HDMI splitter that doesn't pass hdcp through will likely solve the issue.

What do you think?

Leonard Frederic Caspari

PostTue Sep 22, 2020 2:59 pm

I started noticing the same dropouts over HDMI. First when I tried calibrating a SmallHD Monitor with DisplayCAL through Resolve. I double-checked with and Atomos Recorder, which showed the same symptoms. The issues were quite strong with regular 1080p output. And graphics (such as solid colors) were simply not registered as video output at all ("no HDMI signal" on monitor). For the calibration process I could fix the problem by setting Video Monitoring to SD. This way I could prevent the dropouts while running the calibration.

On my Dreamcolor z27x G2 I'm getting similar problems while running a 1080p signal from the Decklink to the monitor via HDMI. The dropouts are not as frequent, but they are there.

Uli Plank

PostTue Sep 22, 2020 4:30 pm

HDMI is a consumer 'standard' which is not followed very well by some manufacturers.
That's why in a professional environment you are supposed to use SDI only.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Leonard Frederic Caspari

PostMon Sep 28, 2020 9:27 am

I tried some variations, including downgrading the Desktop Video versions. None of that helped.
I also upgraded to Studio in the meantime. I figured maybe the HDR features could cause issues. They didn't.

Since I had the Ultrastudio running without issues in the past, I plugged in an old HDMI cable that was part of my previous setup. And see there, the issue seems to be gone. My guess is that the cable only supports HDMI 1.2 or 1.3 that seems to be solving the problem. Maybe this will help others, too.

Return to Post Production