Blackmagic wins design award

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

matt harding

Blackmagic wins design award

PostFri May 31, 2013 7:30 am

Congratulations to Blackmagic for winning the Australian design award of the year last night with the BMCC

http://www.gooddesignaustralia.com/awards/past/?year=2013&page=1

Dennis Nomer

Re: Blackmagic wins design award

PostFri May 31, 2013 8:26 am

Calling the BMCC 'consumer electronics' is a bit of a stretch, but I am glad they got the award.
Dennis Nomer

Christian Schmeer

PostFri May 31, 2013 11:00 am

Don't get me wrong, the BMCC is a great camera and looks awesome, but I don't think it deserves a design award. The unergonomic shape and use of rubber all over isn't exactly screaming great general usability without the use of extra gear – or durability... I really don't get the use of rubber on a camera like this at all, considering the rest is a rock solid aluminium frame.
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

Joe Gonzalez

PostFri May 31, 2013 2:33 pm

matt harding wrote:Congratulations to Blackmagic for winning the Australian design award of the year last night with the BMCC

http://www.gooddesignaustralia.com/awards/past/?year=2013&page=1

Good job guys! I think the design is great. Its not a stills camera! Think different. :)
Joe Gonzalez - Filmmaker/Photographer/Editor
www.thenewcinematographers.com

sean mclennan

PostFri May 31, 2013 2:56 pm

Christian Schmeer wrote:Don't get me wrong, the BMCC is a great camera and looks awesome, but I don't think it deserves a design award. The unergonomic shape and use of rubber all over isn't exactly screaming great general usability without the use of extra gear – or durability... I really don't get the use of rubber on a camera like this at all, considering the rest is a rock solid aluminium frame.

While I agree the ergonomics leave something to be desired....function following form, rather than the other way around...the description of this contest/award is not simply the outward aesthetic or ergonomics. Rather, it's the entire design. As a unit, it's pretty hard to dismiss the revolutionary design of matching professional sensor/output with non-proprietary media, in a beautiful "looking" package for $3000. As a whole, it's pretty incredible and has taken the world by storm. Plus it's an Australian contest isn't it?

Now, if this was an ergonomic design challenge or even a camera shootout matching features-to-features, then NO they would not be winning 8-)

Return to Cinematography