BRAW in Adobe Premiere *ERROR*

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

JoshMallett

PostFri Sep 13, 2019 10:52 am

Getting this video from the BRAW files in Premiere after installing the new BRAW update/plugin for Premiere:

GRANTED, I had the Autokroma one already installed and have been using it fine for a while before installing this latest BM one.
My video work: https://www.JoshuaMallett.com

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

Re: BRAW in Adobe Premiere *ERROR*

PostFri Sep 13, 2019 11:34 am

What are the specs of your setup?
Machine, OS version, Premiere version?
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Sep 13, 2019 11:36 am

Our minimum supported premiere version is currently CC 2019 FYI, as per the read me
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

JoshMallett

PostFri Sep 13, 2019 11:49 am

CaptainHook wrote:What are the specs of your setup?
Machine, OS version, Premiere version?

Intel i9-9900k
32GB RAM
Nvidia RTX-2070
Win10
Adobe CC 2019

It's not a specs issue as Autokroma's plugin has been working fine for months. I tried uninstalling their plugin and having BM as the only one installed. No luck.

Had to uninstall BM's plugin and revert back to Autokroma's

Gavin_c_clark

PostFri Sep 13, 2019 12:01 pm

Not sure this helps with your issue Josh but it’s working on mine. I have never had the autokroma plug in however

It does seem to be temperamental on export however. Seems to render out like it’s an overexposed linear image 80% of the time and then randomly ok 20% of the time.

Intel i7 8700
64gb
12gb Titan x

Dennis Sørensen

PostFri Sep 13, 2019 1:52 pm

I guess your experiencing this because of Autokromas plugin. Remove the plug in before, and make sure it is completly removed.

timbutt2

PostFri Sep 13, 2019 2:59 pm

Worked on my 2018 MacBook Pro no problem. Granted I’ll still use Resolve since I prefer editing in Resolve these days. Also Color in Resolve is far superior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

reman1964

PostFri Sep 13, 2019 3:41 pm

CaptainHook wrote:Our minimum supported premiere version is currently CC 2019 FYI, as per the read me

So, I downloaded and installed the plugin for PP (latest version 13.1.4) and when I open PP and try to add a BRAW file I get "File Type(s) Not Supported"

The viewer works, when I select a file in windows folder is shows a preview...
Reinstalled and rebooted. Same.

Any ideas??
Thank you!
Marc

DR v18.6.4 b6 | System: (I Built) Intel I7-12700k no OC | 32gb DDR4@3000mhz | 1x Nvidia GTX3070 TI FE drvr 551.23 | 3x M.2 GEN4 1TB drives + externals | 2x ASUS 27" ProArts 2560x1440 (10bit) | Win10 Pro 64bit ver 22H2 19045.3930

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Sep 13, 2019 5:00 pm

JoshMallett wrote:It's not a specs issue as Autokroma's plugin has been working fine for months.

The Autokroma plugin and what it supports has very little to do with our plugin and what it supports. They use our SDK framework but the code would otherwise be different. I’m at IBC so difficult to help right now but will follow up on this.

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Sep 13, 2019 7:25 pm

JoshMallett wrote:Getting this video from the BRAW files in Premiere after installing the new BRAW update/plugin for Premiere

Actually, is this with an existing project you were using Autokroma with? Could you try a new project?

timbutt2

PostSat Sep 14, 2019 1:37 am

Had to get home to check this, but my iMac 5K (Late 2015) also works with BRAW in PPro no problem. So I have no issues loading BRAW into Premiere Pro on either of my two Mac computers.

That said, I still will edit and grade in DaVinci Resolve. Going back into Premiere just makes me realize how much I prefer the Resolve UI. All I care about is that I can hand off BRAW to Premiere and Avid editors if I'm not editing. Otherwise, I will always push for Resolve to be the main NLE.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

carlomacchiavello

PostSat Sep 14, 2019 5:48 am

Win10 update something that break your configuration.
Check nvidia driver.
Old windows rule is “when stable is, freeze It”

Win 10 it’s so hard to lock update, you need to disable on control panel, regedit like you never see the sun, and some esoteric work

It’s the reason that new workstation win10 is internet out. I spent two week to fight against the update system and every time something in update break performance or worst cause me problem like your.

I use actually that plugin on three different configuration under windows without that problem but with different video card - Gtx 780/980ti/1080ti
Premiere is very sensible to that.
Try to change way of acceleration.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

scott william

PostSat Sep 14, 2019 6:14 am

CaptainHook wrote:Re: BRAW in Adobe Premiere *ERROR*

Post by CaptainHook » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:00 pm

JoshMallett wrote:
It's not a specs issue as Autokroma's plugin has been working fine for months.

The Autokroma plugin and what it supports has very little to do with our plugin and what it supports. They use our SDK framework but the code would otherwise be different. I’m at IBC so difficult to help right now but will follow up on this.

I'm having the same issue. After creating a new project and importing BRAW files it works. If does not work for the existing projects using Autokroma. I've uninstalled and will stick with Autokroma for the time being.

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Sep 14, 2019 8:25 pm

Yes, projects made with Autokroma will not work with our plugin. You need to make a new project. But you can stick with Autokroma plugin if you have it.

DarrenMcPhee

PostWed Sep 18, 2019 5:37 pm

I was dealing with the same problem after switching from Autokroma plugin to Blackmagic. Creating new projects seemed tp fix it for the most part but it was still buggy. In the end I found that uninstalling and reinstalling Premiere helped.

I do have another problem that I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced. When I'm editing my braw footage in Premiere, for some reason it displays incorrectly in the program monitor. It's correct in the source monitor. Weirdly, the image in the program monitor displays correctly when I hit play or am scrubbing but as soon as I stop, it goes back to looking blown out.

Any idea why this would be happening?

Screen Shot 2019-09-18 at 11.30.39 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-09-18 at 11.30.39 AM.jpg (288.56 KiB) Viewed 16675 times

reman1964

PostWed Sep 18, 2019 6:22 pm

DarrenMcPhee wrote:I was dealing with the same problem after switching from Autokroma plugin to Blackmagic. Creating new projects seemed tp fix it for the most part but it was still buggy. In the end I found that uninstalling and reinstalling Premiere helped.

I do have another problem that I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced. When I'm editing my braw footage in Premiere, for some reason it displays incorrectly in the program monitor. It's correct in the source monitor. Weirdly, the image in the program monitor displays correctly when I hit play or am scrubbing but as soon as I stop, it goes back to looking blown out.

Any idea why this would be happening?

Screen Shot 2019-09-18 at 11.30.39 AM.jpg

It looks like PP has the same issue as it has with ProRes recorded on a Ninja V (from Sony Cams) in that it is not interpreting the Gamma correctly... (Maybe??)
Thank you!
Marc

DR v18.6.4 b6 | System: (I Built) Intel I7-12700k no OC | 32gb DDR4@3000mhz | 1x Nvidia GTX3070 TI FE drvr 551.23 | 3x M.2 GEN4 1TB drives + externals | 2x ASUS 27" ProArts 2560x1440 (10bit) | Win10 Pro 64bit ver 22H2 19045.3930

antoine

PostThu Sep 19, 2019 9:01 am

We're sorry about that happening, but yeah you shouldn't mix plugins ! There might be a way to convert a project from one project to the other, more information in our article here : https://autokroma.com/blog/BlackmagicRaw-Plugin-BRAW-Studio-Difference/
BRAW Studio FREE and Premium for Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects, with a brand new Desktop .BRAW Player and Color Grader, as well as an automatic White Balance Color Picker tool

brawanke

PostThu Oct 17, 2019 9:48 pm

The over exposed image in the timeline is related to how your previews are set in your sequence. I was using a custom preset but I need to change a couple things.

Changing the editing mode to BM uncompressed and previews should be uncompressed.
Attachments
Annotation 2019-10-17 144718.png
Annotation 2019-10-17 144718.png (62.97 KiB) Viewed 16201 times

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Oct 18, 2019 5:13 am

Blackmagic RAW 1.5.1 is now available on the website and contains performance and stability improvements for the Adobe and Avid plugins:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/

Hans-Juergen

PostMon Nov 11, 2019 11:14 am

BRAW 1.5.1 works fine with Premiere Pro 13 (2019), but now I updatete to Premiere Pro 14 (2020) and I have the same Problem.
Premiere Pro can´t read the BRAW-Files and I don´t know why.
Does anyone else have the same problem?

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Nov 11, 2019 7:51 pm

Have you tried 1.5.2?
What are you machine and OS/GPU driver specs?

Hans-Juergen

PostTue Nov 12, 2019 8:34 am

I work with Windows and have solved the problem.

I first had the Blackmagic programs installed on a new PC and then the Adobe programs.
Then I started the Blackmagic programs again with the option "Repair", but after this Premiere Pro could not read the Files.
Now I have completely uninstalled the Blackmagic programs and cleaned the Regestry.
After the repeated install of the Blackmagic programs it works well.

Thanks for your help and sorry for my bad english.

humanflood

PostTue Nov 12, 2019 4:11 pm

Hello- I'm getting a consistent crash when running Adobe with BRAW files; Import was fine and I can drag them over to the timeline where they will playback; But when I try to open up the files in the source monitor, it lets me do about three and then I get the pinwheel of death and have to force quit.

iMAC 2019 27" inch
40 gb Ram
Radeon Pro 580x 8GB

Adobe V 14
Creatve Cloud 2019 v 5.0.0354

Blackmagic V1.5.2

Thanks!

winterwarrior

PostTue Nov 12, 2019 5:50 pm

I have this same issue.

I have a G2 and when shooting with my project FPS set to 60 and my sensor FPS set to 48, I get these errors in the .BRAW footage. It seems to only happen in this setting and not other settings which leads me to believe it's a software glitch.

I'm running on a Macbook Pro 2019 with the latest Premiere Pro with the latest BRAW update.

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Nov 12, 2019 11:06 pm

Can you send me a small project file that reproduces the issue?

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Nov 12, 2019 11:10 pm

winterwarrior wrote:I'm running on a Macbook Pro 2019 with the latest Premiere Pro with the latest BRAW update.

Can you list specific version numbers? Premiere Pro 2020 or 2019? Blackmagic RAW 1.5.2?
"Latest" can lose its meaning quickly where updates may happen in-between when you post and we are working on trying to reproduce/fix the issue. :)

humanflood

PostThu Nov 14, 2019 4:26 pm

@CaptainHook- I emailed a video to the "forum" email- please let me know if there's a better way to send

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Nov 14, 2019 10:21 pm

humanflood wrote:@CaptainHook- I emailed a video to the "forum" email- please let me know if there's a better way to send

Got the screen recording thanks but really need you to send a small project file that reproduces the bug as mentioned above. Upload it to a file sharing site and copy/paste the link. Thanks!

humanflood

PostMon Nov 18, 2019 3:44 pm

Captainhook- I emailed the link- was it forwarded to you?

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Nov 18, 2019 7:28 pm

Yes, we are looking into it thanks.

Jamie LeJeune

PostSat Dec 07, 2019 12:59 am

Shot BRAW for a client that only edits in Premiere Pro. I told them to just edit it Resolve, they said no, so I told them to make proxy files and use those in Premiere, and they said no. Instead, they are stubbornly editing BRAW in latest Premiere 2020 with the v1.6 BRAW plugin. Ugh.
I expected problems and sure enough it's a complete trainwreck.

Playback and editing works, but the sequence will not render and will not export. Premiere Pro just hangs and throws up errors at every attempt to render or export. Their Mac has a decent 4-core i7 CPU, 16GB RAM and a 2GB discrete GPU. The timeline is just HD, so the computer should be able to handle it fine. I've tried exporting an XML and pulling it into a fresh project, but none of that worked. There's not a single effect on the timeline, this is just the first assembly cut and I can't get it to kick out a simple export. I cannot figure out what the problem is with it.

Deadline is approaching first the for assembly and client is not happy. I may have to take on the edit myself in Resolve, but I really don't have the time. It's a damn headache.

Anyone else had this issue in Premiere Pro with BRAW?

EDIT #1: In an effort to at least get an assembly edit out, I had the client export an XML and pulled that into Resolve. All of the clips are way out of sync relative to the original sequence. WTF?!?!
From what I'm seeing here, the entire workflow for BRAW outside of Resolve is completely broken. Granted, I don't expect anything but a mess from Premiere Pro, but I've read of people having success working with BRAW in Premiere Pro so I assume it must be possible. I can't imagine BMD would release a plugin that did not work at all. Any advice that anyone can provide would be much appreciated.

EDIT #2: New attempt to fix the issue, we rendered all the BRAW to ProResLT in Resolve. The in Premiere Pro offline the BRAW clips to relink them to the ProRes and all the clips in the sequence have shifted sync (not audio-video sync, they are literally as if they were all slipped in the timeline. This makes no sense as the ProResLT proxies have exactly the same timecode as the original BRAW files. We're going to have to start over completely and recut the assembly from scratch using the ProResLT Proxy files. How is anyone using BRAW in Premiere Pro at all for any normal workflow? It's a complete mess.

EDIT #3: I had the client uninstall v1.6 of the BRAW plugin and install the earlier version 1.5.2
At first that made the Premiere Pro project crash upon trying to do anything to a BRAW clip in the project. But, we were able to export an XML of the sequence and pull that into a fresh project and that, finally, would function and render and export. What a pain in the ass.
BMD really needs to look into fixing these issues with v1.6 of the BRAW plugin for Premiere Pro.
Last edited by Jamie LeJeune on Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

JoshMallett

PostSun Dec 08, 2019 10:46 am

Jamie LeJeune wrote:. How is anyone using BRAW in Premiere Pro at all for any normal workflow? It's a complete mess.

Try uninstalling BM's BRAW COMPLETELY then installing Autokroma's version. Will cost ya $30 but it's been working like a charm for me. I'm not messing with BM's version anymore.

Return to Cinematography