BRAW 1.5 Plugin hangs Premiere (BRAW controls)

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

John Knowles

BRAW 1.5 Plugin hangs Premiere (BRAW controls)

PostTue Sep 17, 2019 12:47 am

I just tried importing a sample BRAW clip and it made Premiere hang every time I tried to open it in the source monitor. It's a 4K clip from an Ursa Mini, the wedding sample from the Blackmagic BRAW page.

I have a Mini Monitor running output to an HP Dreamcolor; had just updated the BM Video drivers for that to the latest version. It's not the 4K model though, so I tried disabling playback on that but it didn't help. I was able to get the footage to load into the source monitor, but then the problem seemed to be accessing the BRAW controls in the Master Effects tab; clicking that would cause it to hang again.

After three Force Quits I was able to get Premiere to stop hanging while working with that BRAW clip. Turned the BM Video Playback back on and all is functioning. The only thing I did different after the last Force Quit was mess around in the sequence settings and turn a bunch of setting on and then back off again (Like Max Render Quality and Linear Color).

I know that there are issues with 1.5 that other users have seen, and I'm sure a new version will be out soon. Just wanted to see if anyone else was seeing this issue on their machine and make sure Blackmagic was aware.

Premiere 13.1.4
Mojave 10.14.6
Mac Pro 2013
D700s
64GB Ram
Footage on TB2 Raid 5

Ben Watson

Re: BRAW 1.5 Plugin hangs Premiere (BRAW controls)

PostWed Sep 18, 2019 3:35 pm

I had it hang up on me several times as well after importing some footage. I too force quit premiere and restarted a few times and it finally went away.

John Knowles

PostThu Sep 19, 2019 8:40 am

Ben Watson wrote:I had it hang up on me several times as well after importing some footage. I too force quit premiere and restarted a few times and it finally went away.

Thanks for the reply, glad it's not just me!

It's so weird that the problem just "goes away" like that; I found the same thing after several force quits and restarting the program. So what changed after all those restarts?

JVK

antoine

PostThu Sep 19, 2019 9:04 am

Hi,

You're not alone.
We've seen some issues like that with our own plugin BRAW Studio. It might come from Adobe or Mac OSX ? Could you send us a crash report ?
BRAW Studio FREE and Premium for Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects, with a brand new Desktop .BRAW Player and Color Grader, as well as an automatic White Balance Color Picker tool

John Knowles

PostThu Sep 19, 2019 9:09 am

antoine wrote:Hi,

You're not alone.
We've seen some issues like that with our own plugin BRAW Studio. It might come from Adobe or Mac OSX ? Could you send us a crash report ?

Sure, happy too. I think my Macbook Pro will hang/crash again if I try it. Let me know what exactly you want me to copy from Console and I'll send it.

JVK

antoine

PostThu Sep 19, 2019 2:06 pm

Once it crashes if you wait a little bit there should be an Adobe Crash Report window popping up. Inside this there will be all the logs from the crash (a giant textarea), it would be very useful to send it to us
BRAW Studio FREE and Premium for Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects, with a brand new Desktop .BRAW Player and Color Grader, as well as an automatic White Balance Color Picker tool

gogstad

PostFri Oct 04, 2019 9:04 am

Anyone found solution to this? I have the same problem with 6K material from the BMPC6K. Source monitor hangs, sometimes at second file, sometimes after opening 10 braw files. If i drag the clips down to the timeline, it never hangs, but is annoying to edit like that.

What is the difference in the way source monitor opens a clip and how timeline window does it? Different playback engines?

John Knowles

PostFri Oct 04, 2019 10:18 pm

gogstad wrote:What is the difference in the way source monitor opens a clip and how timeline window does it? Different playback engines?

Based on what happened to me, if I had to guess it's the BRAW settings that are causing Premiere to hang. Those are under the Master Effects controls. So when you load the clip into the Source monitor it's loading the BRAW panel as well.

evanfotis

Re:eyedropper tool for custom WB

PostSat Oct 05, 2019 8:24 am

:idea: For the next braw plugin update,
Please add an eyedropper tool for custom WB from the scene!
(like Lumetri has in PR)
Why?
Many times there is a grey card in the scene but WB settings have not been set for whatever reason.
Eyedropper is much more accurate to WB desired objects in scene than choosing WB presets or manually adjusting temperature and tint.

jmckennaphoto

PostSun Oct 06, 2019 6:40 pm

I have a theory it could be related to the timecode issues in BRAW discovered by the Autokrama (third-party, paid) plugin. There seems a common thread between the freeze / crash issues listed in the threads on this forum: match frame, source monitor opening, adjusting in/out points, etc.

antoine

PostTue Oct 08, 2019 2:09 pm

I think those problems are unrelated. We could see an update of the BMD plugin fixing one of those issues and not the others one.

In BRAW Studio we also have sometimes issues with the opening of the Source Monitor in OSX. Rare, but happens. The best is to try it out!

Garret Harkawik

PostSat Nov 16, 2019 1:34 am

Any updates on this? This happens to me maybe 1 out of every 10 times I open a BRAW clip in the source monitor. It's super frustrating.

John Knowles

PostThu Nov 21, 2019 8:36 pm

Garret Harkawik wrote:Any updates on this? This happens to me maybe 1 out of every 10 times I open a BRAW clip in the source monitor. It's super frustrating.

Hey Garret, did you update to the latest version of the plugin? It seems like this issue is fixed now.

JVK

Return to Post Production