Bug in Premiere with BRAW 1.5 Plugin (max bit depth)

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Nick Lavigne

Bug in Premiere with BRAW 1.5 Plugin (max bit depth)

PostMon Sep 16, 2019 10:15 pm

This is mostly for the Blackmagic team. Me and a few others on a premiere forum have been able to pin down a bug in the new plugin. If you have "Maximum Bit Depth" selected in the video previews section of Sequence Settings, you will either get blow out whites represented on the timeline or a black screen. If you have "high quality playback" unselected in your program monitor, it will pause on the previously mentioned image distortions but will playback normally.

This goes for exports as well. If you select "Render at Maximum Depth" in the H.264 settings it will render with the extremely blown out whites.
Untitled.jpg
example of blowout
Untitled.jpg (632.73 KiB) Viewed 5180 times

Untitled1.jpg
Example when max bit depth is not in use
Untitled1.jpg (611.34 KiB) Viewed 5180 times

Just for more information this is not found in the autokroma plugin. However your plugin also run 30 or more percent faster. on a 1,500 frame clip autokroma drops 558 and yours drops none.

GamerPoets

Re: Bug in Premiere with BRAW 1.5 Plugin (max bit depth)

PostThu Sep 19, 2019 11:10 pm

Thanks for posting this. Been going nuts for two days trying to figure out what was wrong. I had to transcode to Pro Res to use some footage in After Effects. Then I realized everything was ok with the clips that I brought back in (to PR from AF). So I figured it was something with the BRAW plug in. I converted every clip in the project to pro res just for the sake of being able to export on time. Rough 2 days. I previously purchased the Autokroma plugin (which I deleted to instead use the official one). Exporting worked with Autokroma so I initially thought that I screwed up something on this specific time line.

I also get some weird issues on some clips where I change a setting (1.5 plugin) and only half of the clip changes based on where the Time Indicator is.

goodfilmco

PostFri Sep 20, 2019 11:30 pm

Having the same issue, but I'm having it when I change the sequence size...

Andris

PostMon Sep 23, 2019 10:01 am

This bug need to be fixed asap! I shoot all event with BMPCC 6K and in Premiere BRAW plugin surprised with all this errors. Some clips cannot change master settings, some clips at the middle changing colors, cannot export with max bit depth etc. I have nothing to say client for this errors. :cry:

Nick Lavigne

PostWed Sep 25, 2019 5:25 am

GamerPoets wrote:Thanks for posting this. Been going nuts for two days trying to figure out what was wrong. I had to transcode to Pro Res to use some footage in After Effects. Then I realized everything was ok with the clips that I brought back in (to PR from AF). So I figured it was something with the BRAW plug in. I converted every clip in the project to pro res just for the sake of being able to export on time. Rough 2 days. I previously purchased the Autokroma plugin (which I deleted to instead use the official one). Exporting worked with Autokroma so I initially thought that I screwed up something on this specific time line.

I also get some weird issues on some clips where I change a setting (1.5 plugin) and only half of the clip changes based on where the Time Indicator is.

Glad I could be of help. You are correct on that second bug sometimes the changes will only appear on the frame you made them and after (to fix go earlier in clip and toggle a change). I can not force this bug to appear, it is random and has to do with a caching error (in other words what is happening is not what you are seeing).
Another bug is the "raw controls lock up" bug. This is caused by simply quickly going from clip to clip and making adjustments. Eventually by the 3rd or even 7th clip the raw controls will be all grayed out or will contain the adjustments from a previous clip, but can not be changed. To "fix" you need to restart premiere.
All these bugs happen in premiere 13.1.5, 13.1.4 (only ones I cared to test).

Honesty this is why people wanted adobe to get off their ass and do a native mercury playback enabled decoder. As a third party, it is much harder. The approach of doing the occasional 1+ month updates isn't going to cut it. Autokroma has already done 20 updates since its launch in January. Although it doesn't have these bugs it is a 3rd slower in performance (1.6.3).

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Oct 18, 2019 8:55 pm

Hi, this should be addressed in the Blackmagic RAW 1.5.1 update we posted to the website yesterday. Download here:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Nick Lavigne

PostFri Oct 18, 2019 9:07 pm

I have looked into the new update.
1.The blowout of max bit depth has been fixed. However enabling Max Bit Depth has a heavy performance cost.
2.The cuda and opencl work! (they don't however help stave off the performance cost of max bit depth).
3. The lockup in controls when quickly working from clip to clip on the raw settings appears to be gone!

All in all a good update.

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Oct 18, 2019 9:35 pm

The plugin is currently CPU only due to limitations in Premiere's SDK so a noticeable performance hit with maximum bit depth is not unexpected - I would recommend only enabling for export/render if you want to use it.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Nick Lavigne

PostFri Oct 18, 2019 10:30 pm

That is interesting. I noticed the Cuda and openCL files in the plugin. and my system showed use of the graphics card quite a bit with no extra effects added.

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Oct 18, 2019 10:58 pm

Our Premiere plugin uses the "IBlackmagicRawManualDecoderFlow1" from our Blackmagic RAW SDK which as described in our SDK manual "is a pure-CPU solution".

The GPU shaders may get compiled anyway (I'm not sure, haven't looked into it) but I expect the GPU use is likely from Premiere itself or another application.

Return to Post Production