Davinci Complicate: Don't add new features but enhance curre

• Author

Raadgie2018

Davinci Complicate: Don't add new features but enhance curre

PostSat Sep 21, 2019 9:03 pm

Please, don't add new features but enhance current. DR 16 looks like each page is doing a different team with a different vision and they don't talk together.

Jim Simon

Re: Davinci Complicate: Don't add new features but enhance c

PostSun Sep 22, 2019 12:23 am

Each page is dedicated to a different task, and designed for such.

I think it's a brilliant design.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostSun Sep 22, 2019 12:52 am

Raadgie2018 wrote:Please, don't add new features but enhance current. DR 16 looks like each page is doing a different team with a different vision and they don't talk together.

+1
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Dermot Shane

PostSun Sep 22, 2019 4:35 pm

Raadgie2018 wrote:Please, don't add new features but enhance current. DR 16 looks like each page is doing a different team with a different vision and they don't talk together.

+2

JeffreyWalther

PostSun Sep 22, 2019 5:28 pm

I think:

- the CUT page had good intensions, but I think it should had been implemented into the EDIT page and the view there made customizable, e.g. turn off/on full timeline etc. I really miss the tape feature in the EDIT page.

- the MEDIA page could go to the EDIT page as well

- the FUSION/COLOR page are quite okay as they are currently. Those are really different tasks.
DaVinci Resolve Studio V18
Fusion V18
Windows 10 Pro, 64 GB RAM
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X (12x 3.8 GHz), MSI X570 Unify
GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8 GB, NVIDIA driver version 471.41 (Studio)

JeffreyWalther

PostMon Sep 23, 2019 6:06 am

I also think:

Everything that has something to do with a view (e.g. clip filters, workspace, displays,...) should be placed at the view's menu. At the moment everything is spread and hidden in the GUI.
Fusion V18

Vit Reiter

PostMon Sep 23, 2019 2:18 pm

+1
JeffreyWalther wrote:- the CUT page had good intensions, but I think it should had been implemented into the EDIT page and the view there made customizable, e.g. turn off/on full timeline etc. I really miss the tape feature in the EDIT page.

- the FUSION/COLOR page are quite okay as they are currently. Those are really different tasks.
Dear Blackmagic team, never do that, pls.
JeffreyWalther wrote:Everything that has something to do with a view (e.g. clip filters, workspace, displays,...) should be placed at the view's menu. At the moment everything is spread and hidden in the GUI.
And never do that, pls.
DaVinci Resolve 18.6.6 Studio (macOS Monterey 12.7.4)
Mac Pro 2013, AMD FirePro D700, 64GB RAM

Film Editor, Colorist, DIT, Datalab technician
linkedin.com/in/vít-reiter-film-editor

Tom Early

PostMon Sep 23, 2019 2:43 pm

JeffreyWalther wrote:I also think:

Everything that has something to do with a view (e.g. clip filters, workspace, displays,...) should be placed at the view's menu. At the moment everything is spread and hidden in the GUI.

Implementing the Cut page into the Edit page would spread its features and hide them in the GUI. It is meant for specific tasks and the view and workflow options are optimised for that purpose. I would like certain features in the Edit page like Source Tape but beyond things like that it should stay put imo.

Likewise the Media page should stay separate, you already have media pool options in the Edit page, and people will use the Media page who never touch the edit page.
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostTue Sep 24, 2019 1:29 pm

Jim Simon wrote:Each page is dedicated to a different task, and designed for such.

I think it's a brilliant design.

The issue to me are function that started but either are not completely finished, or they need polishing.

for example, I don't need a CUT page, but I would like to have alphabetical order in lists: it is a simple polishing that speed up the day to day workflow...

Or having the ability to select a clip in the current timeline and open the Sync detector and chop it...

little things...
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

JeffreyWalther

PostTue Sep 24, 2019 2:38 pm

Vit Reiter wrote:
+1
JeffreyWalther wrote:- the CUT page had good intensions, but I think it should had been implemented into the EDIT page and the view there made customizable, e.g. turn off/on full timeline etc. I really miss the tape feature in the EDIT page.

Dear Blackmagic team, never do that, pls.
JeffreyWalther wrote:Everything that has something to do with a view (e.g. clip filters, workspace, displays,...) should be placed at the view's menu. At the moment everything is spread and hidden in the GUI.
And never do that, pls.

You have your sight of view, I have my own. Thank you.
Fusion V18

Vit Reiter

PostTue Sep 24, 2019 3:26 pm

JeffreyWalther wrote:You have your sight of view, I have my own. Thank you.
That's why it needed to add my view.
Although I know you don't like it.
DaVinci Resolve 18.6.6 Studio (macOS Monterey 12.7.4)
Mac Pro 2013, AMD FirePro D700, 64GB RAM

Film Editor, Colorist, DIT, Datalab technician
linkedin.com/in/vít-reiter-film-editor

Mark Grgurev

PostThu Oct 03, 2019 3:14 pm

Tom Early wrote:Implementing the Cut page into the Edit page would spread its features and hide them in the GUI. It is meant for specific tasks and the view and workflow options are optimised for that purpose.

People need to stop spreading this misinformation. Combining the two pages wouldn't bury much of anything in the UI. The UIs don't clash much at all and there's many design decisions made in the Cut page's panels that can replace the ones in the Edit page.

I've mentioned before that the mini-timeline could be made collapsible can combined with a zoom-scroll bar which would solve the horrible zoom navigation of the Edit page and people who like the Cut page would still be able to use it the same way.

The only real clash is how they have the timelines works but they aren't so different that a few options couldn't handle and in some cases the Cut page behavior can be the default. For example, an option for allowing empty video and audio tracks can be off by default and auto track height size can be on by default.

Most other Cut page behaviors could just be enabled via a Cut mode just like their's currently a Selection, Trim Edit, Dynamic Trim, and Blade Edit modes in the tool bar in the Edit page.

Likewise the Media page should stay separate, you already have media pool options in the Edit page, and people will use the Media page who never touch the edit page.

This I agree with though. The Media page is definitely worthy of being it's own thing since it has options for video capture and syncing video and audio in the Media Pool.

Rick van den Berg

PostSat Oct 05, 2019 1:11 pm

I dont understand the cut page at all. But i think everybody would be happy with the source tape function in the edit page. My guess is that this is the only thing that makes most people want to use the cut page. But it is just impractical to switch all the time from edit to cut and back just for that.

Or maybe even just something simple as a shortcut like arrow down in your source viewer to go to the next clip in your active bin would do.

That would actually solve alot of theething things compared to the source tape like using markers, sub clips, smart bins.. i would pay money for this.

brediknight

PostThu Nov 21, 2019 1:59 am

I will never use the Cut page for editing.

But I do like the Trim Mode and would prefer to have it in the Edit Page.

Jim Simon

PostThu Nov 21, 2019 7:23 pm

brediknight wrote:I do like the Trim Mode and would prefer to have it in the Edit Page.

The Edit page does have a very well designed Trim mode. Is it different in Cut?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests