UMP just died after 1.5 Yr. Support refusing to help.

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Ash Tailor

UMP just died after 1.5 Yr. Support refusing to help.

PostTue Sep 24, 2019 10:18 pm

Hello all,

I don't normally post much..normally more of a reader. Last week my UMP just died out of nowhere. Was in the middle of a shoot and the screen went black and then refused to turn on (fans started to run though).

Sent the camera back to BM and they're saying the cost is too high to repair so isn't 'economical' for them. They're refusing to replace. Now I understand the normal warranty is 1 year but the sensor shouldn't die after 1.5 years of worth of use.

This is not user error at all and a problem with the sensor. Does anyone have any advice? It's kinda crazy that ive invested all this money into the system and they're not even willing to help. If it was my error then I would totally understand.

Any help or advice would be super helpful.

Thank you

Ash

Denny Smith

Re: UMP just died after 1.5 Yr. Support refusing to help.

PostWed Sep 25, 2019 4:52 pm

Ash, you really need to just contact BMD Support (not UK Support Office) directly, file a case with them. This is just a user forum like BMUser, and complaining about here is not going to get the issue resolved. However, all are sympathetic with you on this problem, but not much we can do about it. You could try marking your email attention Joshua Helling, Director of World Wide Support, Blackmagic Design Inc.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Brad Hurley

PostWed Sep 25, 2019 5:09 pm

Based on what you posted at bmcuser.com, they said it was an issue with the sensor, which would have to be replaced. And since the cost of replacing the sensor (not just the cost of the sensor but all the labor and parts involved in replacing it) would be higher than the cost of a new camera, your camera is effectively totaled and it's not worth repairing; it would be as cheap or cheaper for you to buy a replacement camera. At least that's how I read their response.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Denny Smith

PostWed Sep 25, 2019 5:28 pm

I did also Brad, however, the sensor going out in just 18 months is a little much, and should have lasted longer in normal use. But he doesn’t say how many hours of use it had in the 18 months either.

If Ash is not satisfied with BM UK Supports response, I was suggesting he can go up the ladder to BMD main support. I think BMD should at least prorate a replacement camera for him, given the new cost of a Ursa Mini Pro. John Brawley has put a lot of hours on his UM, and has never reported a sensor failure, which is an odd issue on a relative new camera. If this was my camera, I would be writing BMD a long letter!
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

David Chapman

PostWed Sep 25, 2019 5:34 pm

Sorry this happened, Ash. I would file a claim with your insurance company. A $500-1,000 deductible is worth it on a claim.

Some people have cameras on their home insurance, on a separate business policy or have drops and spills purchased from the reseller. If you don't have insurance, I would definitely buy it next time around.
David Chapman
Just another creative dude with a camera.

Andy Coulthurst

PostWed Sep 25, 2019 5:36 pm

Ash Tailor wrote:Hello all,

I don't normally post much..normally more of a reader. Last week my UMP just died out of nowhere. Was in the middle of a shoot and the screen went black and then refused to turn on (fans started to run though).

Sent the camera back to BM and they're saying the cost is too high to repair so isn't 'economical' for them. They're refusing to replace. Now I understand the normal warranty is 1 year but the sensor shouldn't die after 1.5 years of worth of use.

This is not user error at all and a problem with the sensor. Does anyone have any advice? It's kinda crazy that ive invested all this money into the system and they're not even willing to help. If it was my error then I would totally understand.

Any help or advice would be super helpful.

Thank you

Ash

Your profile doesn’t indicate your location.
If you bought in the EU - you may wish to check this to see if it applies
https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/shopping-consumer-rights/index_en.htm#faulty-within-2-years-4

Brad Hurley

PostWed Sep 25, 2019 5:43 pm

Denny Smith wrote:If Ash is not satisfied with BM UK Supports response, I was suggesting he can go up the ladder to BMD main support. I think BMD should at least prorate a replacement camera for him, given the new cost of a Ursa Mini Pro.

Agreed. It's funny, BMD replaced the sensor on my original Pocket under warranty (the sensor was defective on arrival when I bought it new; the camera they sent back was the same one, same serial number, but the repair note said they had replaced the sensor), but replacing the sensor on an Ursa must be a much more involved process if they're refusing to do it. My Micro Cinema Camera also arrived with a defective sensor but in that case they just swapped it for a new camera.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Denny Smith

PostWed Sep 25, 2019 5:45 pm

Reading his original post on BM User, I thought Ash was in UK, turns out he is in Canada, he edited his original post adding,
Edit... I'm also located in Canada now. BMD California has the unit.

Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Rakesh

PostFri Jan 17, 2020 9:34 am

Hi Ash,

I had the exact thing happen to my Ursa Mini Pro.

It first happened in the first 11 months, so BM sent me a new camera. Then that 2nd camera 12 months out did the same thing! My dealer says we are not now under warranty.

Be interested to see how you go with this. Im in New Zealand so have to send to Australia to get it fixed.

Its sounds like these camera have a serious fault! Have lost total faith in these cameras. For the same fault to happen with 2 different cameras is shocking.

Denis Kazlowski

PostFri Jan 17, 2020 6:00 pm

Brad Hurley wrote:Based on what you posted at bmcuser.com, they said it was an issue with the sensor, which would have to be replaced. And since the cost of replacing the sensor (not just the cost of the sensor but all the labor and parts involved in replacing it) would be higher than the cost of a new camera, your camera is effectively totaled and it's not worth repairing; it would be as cheap or cheaper for you to buy a replacement camera. At least that's how I read their response.

No one does this anymore, the repair - Labour/Parts. Except maybe for Apple's weird stuff.

They send out a "new" camera, the old bad camera goes back to OEM in Thailand or China or etc. There it gets refurbished by low paid labor who cobble working units out of spare parts out of many, and then possibly mailed back to stand by as another replacement unit.

What you've recited and what was recited to OP whom is an unfortunate position is more closer to an authorized service center or boutique repair shop operating procedure, but they do go out of their way to render a real diagnosis.

Somewhere in there is some fuzzy math to add or subtract from the OEM's defective unit quota so that mass production cost center (OEM) can absorb it. I gather the contract with them is same, not considered defective after 1 year of use. So what BM Support is describing to you is their own out of pocket costs, thusly they won't even attempt to "repair" it, nor look at it - as they clearly don't actually repair it.

The over the phone diagnosis may not be correct and the trouble could be any major or minor component. I would suggest looking for a 3d party repair shop - if one exists, or hawking it on eBay for Parts/Not Working.

Return to Cinematography