Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

[Help] How to see Fusion effects in Edit tab?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Fanjan Combrink

[Help] How to see Fusion effects in Edit tab?

PostWed Oct 02, 2019 12:47 pm

I've been struggling with Fusion effects. I have my broad term effect visible on the edit page, however, certain changes is just not brought over from Fusion.

Currently I seem to only see a set amount of particles, no matter by how much I increase the emitter node. The "Render Cache Fusion Output" is set to on, but seems to do nothing in the Edit tab nor the Color tab.

How do I update the changes I make in Fusion to reflect in previous or post pages?

In Fusion, my display screen is on MediaOut node.

I can extend this question to how do I see the composition I made in the Fusion tab anywhere else?

Edit Tab
Edit-Tab.PNG
Edit-Tab.PNG (128.61 KiB) Viewed 5636 times

Fusion Tab
Fusion-tab.PNG
Fusion-tab.PNG (370.52 KiB) Viewed 5636 times

Node tree
NodeTree.PNG
NodeTree.PNG (72.76 KiB) Viewed 5635 times
WORK: Resolve Studio 17 | Win10-Pro64 | Intel i5-8400 | 32GB RAM 2400 | GeForce GTX1060 6GB RAM (Studio driver)

HOME: Resolve Studio 17 | Macbook Air M1 base model

xunile

Re: [Help] How to see Fusion effects in Edit tab?

PostThu Oct 03, 2019 2:22 am

I would say make sure that you haven't clicked on the "Bypass Color Grades and Fusion Effects" button.
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

Fanjan Combrink

PostThu Oct 03, 2019 5:14 am

xunile wrote:I would say make sure that you haven't clicked on the "Bypass Color Grades and Fusion Effects" button.

Thanks, I checked to confirm my thoughts. Wasn't that. Thank you though for mentioning it.

Another interesting example from the color page. Notice the thumbnails in the nodes. 01 is the origin footage. 02 is a gaussian blur set at max applied. Yet the viewer shows me the fusion composition.

Its as if the Color tab pulls in some version from Fusion but does not allow you to make any changes to that Fusion composition. However it just reverts back to the original clip and applies all nodes to that.
Color-tab.PNG
Color-tab.PNG (455.42 KiB) Viewed 5601 times
WORK: Resolve Studio 17 | Win10-Pro64 | Intel i5-8400 | 32GB RAM 2400 | GeForce GTX1060 6GB RAM (Studio driver)

Sander de Regt

PostThu Oct 03, 2019 12:29 pm

That's kind of weird indeed. I don't know what the color nodes are doing exactly, but usually the output from Fusion feeds into the color page. Just based on your screengrab it's difficult to tell.
Can you share the project/comp-file with us?
This is - by itself - pretty basic stuff. No need to jump back to AE for this.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Fanjan Combrink

PostThu Oct 03, 2019 2:00 pm

Sander de Regt wrote:That's kind of weird indeed. I don't know what the color nodes are doing exactly, but usually the output from Fusion feeds into the color page. Just based on your screengrab it's difficult to tell.
Can you share the project/comp-file with us?
This is - by itself - pretty basic stuff. No need to jump back to AE for this.

I've moved the specific clip to the very end of the timeline cause I'm trying to attempt a different way to solve the problem which might include AE elements. And I don't want to jump to AE cause I don't really know it that well and I'd prefer to do my AE kind of tasks in Fusion Resolve since it offers more compositor tools than AE.

The problem showed its head when I noticed that my particles (edit tab) don't really reflect what I'm seeing in the Fusion tab. I cranked the number and size up significantly just to see big changes but none showed. Then I noticed that I can't CG the clip in the Color tab.

I'll DM the project file or downlink

P.S. I'm using a stalled project at work as a means to learning Fusion. The video needs some AE like effects, its a great means of focus to learning Fusion.

Frank Engel

PostThu Oct 03, 2019 7:07 pm

Not sure that I am reading this correctly.

You mentioned that you are applying particles on the Edit page - is that an effect (plugin)?

If so, that processing happens AFTER the Fusion page.

Everything on the Edit page is before Fusion EXCEPT the effects, so the output from the Fusion page then routes into that effect.

If that is what is happening, I would suggest moving that effect to a node on the Fusion page instead, or you could wrap it in a compound clip and reconstruct the Fusion comp on the compound clip instead of on the original clip that has the effect applied.

Fanjan Combrink

PostMon Oct 07, 2019 11:38 am

Frank Engel wrote:Not sure that I am reading this correctly.

If so, that processing happens AFTER the Fusion page.

Hi Frank, no I've wanted and have only applied all effects of the clip in the Fusion tab, after which I wanted to color. I expected the Fusion effects would translate to the Edit tab but wasn't too bothered by it if it didn't.

The issue I'm having (had) is that the effects only lived in the Fusion tab and didn't carry over to any other tab, not Color, nor even Delivery.

Somewhere something is wrong. Sander found that the same in the project file however did find if he copied the node tree to a new clip, it all worked fine. I haven't had a chance to do it my side due to per-production on another project. I still need to isolate the clip and do it again separately to see if I can either recreate the problem, or whether Resolve works as intended. I'm starting to wonder if my specs have something to do with it.

Return to Fusion