Monitor image with USB Intensity Shuttle not centred

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

stables

Monitor image with USB Intensity Shuttle not centred

PostMon Sep 23, 2019 11:45 am

I am not sure whether this is a problem with my ancient Intensity Shuttle or my recent attempts to get to grips with DaVinci Resolve!

I have just resurrected my old Intensity Shuttle to use with DaVinci Resolve, having abandoned Premiere Pro CS6. I have installed this with the latest drivers, and all is well, except that the image in my attached monitor (a TV) is displaced about 5% to the left. I have the TV input set to HDMI and 16:9 1080p25 - as is the Shuttle output.

This means that I have a black band at the right of the TV screen and the left hand 5% of the image is off screen to the left. If I use the Zoom control on the TV, the image fills the screen but is very much over-scanned.

As the shuttle is around ten years old, and has not been used for some years, I suspect an internal fault with that - possibly a failed electrolytoc capacitor?

Could anyone offer any advice please?

I have thunderbolt on my PC, but it is not reliable. Also I am pushed for available PCIe slots

stables

Re: Monitor image with USB Intensity Shuttle not centred

PostWed Oct 02, 2019 1:14 pm

I have now replaced my Intensity Shuttle USB with a new Ultra Studio Mini Monitor. This resolved all my intermittent connection problems at a stroke, but my monitor image is still offset to the left. The Mini Monitor will work with my Thunderbolt equipped laptop as well as my desktop, and the monitor image is offset in just the same way with both systems.

I have used different projects and assets on the two systems, including 3840x2160 p25, and 1920x1080 p25, and they all do this.

With all other sources, including Premiere CS6, the TV monitor image is normal. Though obviously I am unable to use CS6 with the current drivers.

This leads me to suppose that the problem lies somewhere within Resolve Studio 16?

I would appreciate any advice on this problem.

stables

PostWed Oct 02, 2019 1:28 pm

I have now set up a new project using 1920x1080 24 fps material from the Definitive Guide to Davinci Resolve 15 book.

This gives a normal full-frame image in the TV monitor.

So, is the problem confined to 25 fps projects, or are all my other projects corrupt in some way?

stables

PostWed Oct 02, 2019 1:53 pm

I have a solution - if I set the video monitoring output in Project Settings to HD 1080i50, I get a normal full-frame image on my TV monitor. This happens even when I change the monitoring output to this setting in one of my previously problem projects.

So the problem is with 1080p25 and Resolve 16.

My TV is perfectly happy to accept 1080p25 material from other cources than the Studio Monitor and Intensity Shuttle.

Return to Getting Started