Sync in Timeline

• Author

Jim Simon

Sync in Timeline

PostFri Aug 09, 2019 9:42 pm

I'd love the ability to select a group of clips already in a timeline and sync them up by the currently available methods - Timecode, Audio, In, Marker.

This should be a right click option.

The first clip selected would the one that doesn't move, with all other clips adjusting accordingly, including audio moving at the subframe level when necessary.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

rick.lang

Re: Sync in Timeline

PostSat Aug 10, 2019 3:31 pm

Jim, I support the general concept here but I’d like to add some detail that makes it more comprehensive.

Step 1
You edit your video clips, chop, chop on multiple video tracks.

Step 2
You have all your audio on separate audio tracks that is either from the video clips or recorded separately such as from boom mics.

Step 3
You select one or more audio clips or audio tracks

Step 4
Right click the audio selection (or keyboard or menu) and select Sync to Video using Timecode (or whatever).

There’s a lot of processing that would be automated in step 4. For example your boom mic audio is one clip that’s 20 minutes long. But the video edits from two or three cameras are not all neatly arranged in a proper sequence—they’re cut and moved about. However the boom track then would need to automate the cuts and reshuffle to match the video clips. Or this whole automation is performed but output to a new master audio track and the original continuous boom track will be muted on output.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Jim Simon

PostSat Aug 10, 2019 3:33 pm

rick.lang wrote:Step 1
You edit your video clips

See, I would disagree with that.

Step 1, you sync your video and audio.

Step 2, you edit.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

David Cherniack

PostSat Aug 10, 2019 4:52 pm

Jim Simon wrote:I'd love the ability to select a group of clips already in a timeline and sync them up by the currently available methods - Timecode, Audio, In, Marker.

The first clip selected would the one that doesn't move, with all other clips adjusting accordingly, including audio moving at the subframe level when necessary.

Yep. I've wished for tis.
David
Resolve Studio latest build
Windows 11 Pro
Decklink Mini Monitor 4k
Intel i9 7960x @ 4 GHz
Thermaltake Floe Riing 360 Water Cooler
Asus x299 Prime Deluxe
64GB 3333 Corsair Dominator ram
1 EVGA RTX 3090 XC3 Card
Areca Thunderbolt3 12 drive Raid

NeilAndrew

PostMon Aug 12, 2019 6:56 pm

Jim Simon wrote:I'd love the ability to select a group of clips already in a timeline and sync them up by the currently available methods - Timecode, Audio, In, Marker.

absolutely need this and im really surprised this also hasnt made it into DR 16.
honestly i still find syncing in DR to be really problematic and i really wish my input/feedback made it into the dev's trouble shooting for media management in the context of syncing dual+ system audio with TC and without TC. there's a lot of ways to do it. but so far its very frustrating and leaving a lot to be desired.

Dan Sherman

PostMon Aug 12, 2019 7:40 pm

Technically you can already do this in resolve, but it's not as strait forward.

1. Select your clips in the media pool, and use them to make a new multi cam clip.
2. Open up the multi cam clip, select everything and copy it
3. create a new timeline and past the selection into it.
AMD 7950X | AMD 7900XTX (23.20.24) | DDR5-6000 CL30-40-40-96 2x32 GB | Multiple PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME | ASUS x670e HERO | Win 11 Pro 23H2 | Resolve Studio 18.6.5 B7

Jim Simon

PostMon Aug 12, 2019 8:10 pm

What is being asked for is very different than what you posted, Dan. Sync needs to be possible with clips already in the timeline.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Dan Sherman

PostMon Aug 12, 2019 10:02 pm

Jim Simon wrote:What is being asked for is very different than what you posted, Dan. Sync needs to be possible with clips already in the timeline.

I'm a developer by trade, and I don't see BM ever implementing sync for clips already in a timeline, because it's already far to easy for users to turn a timeline into a disorganized cluster fuc* that would cause all kinds of issue if you tried to sync it.

Take a simple example with 3 cameras (A,B,C) that have appropriate meta and sync data to allow syning. All clips from camera A are on track 1, all clips from camera B are on track 2, and all clips from Camera C are on track 3. This can easily be synced because its a well organized timeline.

Resolve doesn't force that kind of strict organization though. Users can drop clips on any track they want at any point on the timeline. If camera A, B, and C all have a clip with a timecode value of 12:00:00:00 and they are all on the same track you will have an issue if you try to sync them.

• Does one clip overwrite the other 2? if so, how does user define what clip has priority?
  • If the clips are all different lengths, and the one that has priority is the shortest, does it completely overwrite the others and leave a gap, or do the other 2 just get cut to fill in the space on the timeline not used by the clip with priority.
  • Do you move the conflicting clips to other tracks? If other tracks already contain clips in that location what happens?

Throw in fusion clips, un-liked audio, and external audio, and you get the possibility of issues galore.

This is what a developer would call and edge case nightmare.
AMD 7950X | AMD 7900XTX (23.20.24) | DDR5-6000 CL30-40-40-96 2x32 GB | Multiple PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME | ASUS x670e HERO | Win 11 Pro 23H2 | Resolve Studio 18.6.5 B7

Jim Simon

PostTue Aug 13, 2019 11:50 pm

Dan Sherman wrote:I don't see BM ever implementing sync for clips already in a timeline

I do hope you're wrong. Premiere Pro has the capability. (It's one of the few things I miss from that software.)

It's useful and to the best of my knowledge, never caused a disaster. At least none that got reported in the forums.
Last edited by Jim Simon on Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

GeorgeDrake

PostWed Aug 14, 2019 2:29 am

When I tell people what I miss most about Premiere its syncing on the timeline. Or in general. Even plural eyes xml files don't work.
Windows 11 | Resolve 18.0.3 | RTX 4090 24GB | 128 gigs DDR5-5200 | i9-12900K
Mac OS Monterey | M1 MAX | 64GB Ram |

mbaksa

PostThu Aug 15, 2019 1:44 pm

Dan Sherman wrote:
Jim Simon wrote:What is being asked for is very different than what you posted, Dan. Sync needs to be possible with clips already in the timeline.

I'm a developer by trade, and I don't see BM ever implementing sync for clips already in a timeline, because it's already far to easy for users to turn a timeline into a disorganized cluster fuc* that would cause all kinds of issue if you tried to sync it.
This is what a developer would call and edge case nightmare.

You are overthinking it. You are creating issues where there are none. or at least are not that important.

People in most cases need syncing before they edit the timeline, especially if they do multicam (then they basically won't edit that timeline that consists of several tracks with clips from different cameras in different tracks). So lets start with that. User puts clips from different cameras and sound recorders into different tracks, selects them all and runs right-click command Sync. Then there is option Sync by Timecode, Waveform etc. To many of us who don't have hardware that supports timecode, syncing by waveform is the most important thing. And syncing gets done.

If user is incapable of putting clips from the same camera into the same track - it's his own fault audio doesn't get synced properly. First time he does that, he will learn what he does the wrong way, he will correct his workflow, and everything is OK from there on.

Alternatively, BMD could add the option to sort clips based on clip metadata (such as camera or angle or whatever) instead based on tracks they are in - that resolves the issue for those users that mix clips from different cameras into the same tracks. (people who edit multicam know better)

If timeline is already edited, when does one need syncing? Usually only when one introduces a new clip that one wants to get synced to main audio clip. One then selects main audio clip, selects that new inserted clip, chooses Sync, and Resolve moves that new clip so that it is Synced with main audio clip.

This is probably all most people need! Is that really that hard to implement? Why? Why wouldn't BMD programmers be able to do that? Why would they feel existential angst because of syncing clips in timeline? :)

Jim Simon

PostThu Aug 15, 2019 3:35 pm

mbaksa wrote:People in most cases need syncing before they edit the timeline

That is the general idea, and I'd argue, workflow.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Dan Sherman

PostFri Aug 16, 2019 4:25 am

mbaksa wrote:This is probably all most people need! Is that really that hard to implement? Why? Why wouldn't BMD programmers be able to do that? Why would they feel existential angst because of syncing clips in timeline? :)

Syncing a bunch of clips isn't hard, I wrote the application I use to do it, as I wanted everything to be laid out in a very specific fashion. However I have the luxury of a very specific use case. The BM developers don't have that luxury, they have to handle all the edge cases, because they have a generalized application.

As I said before, because of how Resolve works a lot of edge cases exist. thus, just because most people wouldn't do something stupid like trying sync clips have way through and edit, doesn't mean they can just ignore that scenario. They either have to throw out specific error messaging, or come of ways to resolve edge cases.

I mean honestly just look at the number of "professionals" on the forum who install a beta half way through a project, and then start posting flame threads because everything doesn't work perfectly and they are on a deadline.

A good developer has to handle everyone form the idiot who has not idea what he is doing, to the power user who pushes the application to it limit.

Jim Simon

PostFri Aug 16, 2019 3:23 pm

Dan Sherman wrote:A good developer has to handle everyone form the idiot who has not idea what he is doing, to the power user who pushes the application to it limit.

If the developers over at Adobe can do it, I'm more than hopeful the BMD engineers can as well.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

mbaksa

PostFri Aug 16, 2019 6:50 pm

Dan Sherman wrote:...

Dan, you really haven't presented any legit, serious issue arising from BMD integrating syncing in timelines.

To me it looks like you would also complain to that when one (ripple) deletes a clip inside timeline, and some clip overwrites a part of clip that was earlier in timeline, that that is a total deal-breaker, and because of that ripple delete function should not exist in Resolve. Ban ripple deleting!

It's like you don't want that functionality in Resolve (are you an Adobe agent? :D ), so you are looking for justifications for BMD developers not to include it. Even though we have seen some solutions in other software that works good enough - certainly better than not to have that functionality.

I really don't understand your approach. What's the deal? Why are you focused on potential problems, that are either not that important or are solvable in some ways, instead of solutions? Why you don't want Resolve to become even a bit more powerful tool, with functionality that many would appreciate, especially people that don't have hardware with timecode?

Dan Sherman

PostSat Aug 17, 2019 2:39 am

mbaksa wrote:To me it looks like you would also complain to that when one (ripple) deletes a clip inside timeline, and some clip overwrites a part of clip that was earlier in timeline, that that is a total deal-breaker, and because of that ripple delete function should not exist in Resolve. Ban ripple deleting!

If you ripple delete something by accident or not, it's a direct consequence of a direct action taken by you the user. Not to mention the user could see the conflict, and what was going to happen before they did it.

Clips getting screwed up by a sync is not a direct consequence. The user has no quick way of knowing ahead of time what might happen.

BM only has a few options if they ran into a sync conflict
  1. Do it and then if someone complains because their clips get trimed, deleted or whatever, they can just say thats on you.
  2. The can reject the sync and throw out a "the clips can't be synced do to a conflict" warning message
  3. Start prompting the user with an unknown number of manual "conflict resolution screens"

none of them are ideal, and will lead to various levels of frustrated, irritated and irate users. The manual resolution screens would get expensive to implement because of the many possible conflicts.

mbaksa wrote:It's like you don't want that functionality in Resolve (are you an Adobe agent? :D ), so you are looking for justifications for BMD developers not to include it.

I hate adobe as a company, and refuse to own or use any of their products. Also I don't care what BM impediments.

mbaksa wrote:I really don't understand your approach. What's the deal? Why are you focused on potential problems, that are either not that important or are solvable in some ways, instead of solutions? Why you don't want Resolve to become even a bit more powerful tool, with functionality that many would appreciate, especially people that don't have hardware with timecode?

As i said, I'm a developer and I gave my opinion about the potential issues with the requested feature, and thus why i think its unlikely to be implemented. Advising people about the potential consequences and costs of a given change is literally something I do every day.

Secondly, it doesn't really mater that end user doesn't think something is important, or that the problems are solvable. Companies don't pay developers to write code that might not even bring in enough revenue to cover the development cost.

Any company worth its salt does an analysis before implementing a new feature.

• what are the potential risks and complications to the existing code base.
  • how much will it cost to implement
  • what is the estimated income the feature will bring in.
  • will we loose revenue because we don't implement it (competition has it)
  • and many others.....

If the the numbers don't add up to a revenue increase, features don't get implemented

GeorgeDrake

PostSat Aug 17, 2019 12:13 pm

Resolve added 67 features. I'm sure they don't don't all meet the criteria you presented.

But in my work flow. Let's say I'm working on a music video. There is no way I am going to or even want to sync every clip to start. So the way I worked in Premiere was to start my edit... When I see a cut I like I add it to the timeline above the last clip. I select the new clip and the main audio track. Right click and hit sync. Premiere sends the new clip down the timeline until it matches. Done. Move on to the next clip. Super simple. Resolve is all about being fast. Look at the new cut page. Seems like this would help a lot of people (but I want it on the edit page, lol)

Dan Sherman

PostSat Aug 17, 2019 12:41 pm

GeorgeDrake wrote:But in my work flow. Let's say I'm working on a music video. There is no way I am going to or even want to sync every clip to start. So the way I worked in Premiere was to start my edit... When I see a cut I like I add it to the timeline above the last clip. I select the new clip and the main audio track. Right click and hit sync. Premiere sends the new clip down the timeline until it matches. Done. Move on to the next clip.

Your workflow is almost the exact definition of how the cut page and sync bins are supposed to be used.

Jim Simon

PostSat Aug 17, 2019 3:31 pm

Dan Sherman wrote:Your workflow is almost the exact definition of how the cut page and sync bins are supposed to be used.

Perhaps, but his work flow is not the only one that would benefit from being able to sync clips already in a timeline.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Dan Sherman

PostSun Aug 18, 2019 3:24 am

Jim Simon wrote:
Dan Sherman wrote:Your workflow is almost the exact definition of how the cut page and sync bins are supposed to be used.

Perhaps, but his work flow is not the only one that would benefit from being able to sync clips already in a timeline.

Jesus, what's wrong with you? Did I say their was no benefits from syncing in the timeline, no I didn't. You are acting like a child, because someone said something you didn't want to hear!

mbaksa

PostSun Aug 18, 2019 10:11 pm

Dan Sherman wrote:If you ripple delete something by accident or not, it's a direct consequence of a direct action taken by you the user. Not to mention the user could see the conflict, and what was going to happen before they did it.

And how is that not the case with syncing? Let's go to the simplest task - user adds new clip into timeline, selects both main audio clip that wants new clip to be synced to, and new clip, executes syncing, and new clip is moved to the proper location in timeline.

If user is thinking ahead, and is afraid of overwriting existing clips, he would put new clip into empty video and audio track. So, there would be no conflict!

If he doesn't want to lose time on that or he is pretty confident that there would be no conflicts, he would just sync and see where new clip lands. If it overwrites part of another clip, that can be easily solved in several ways.

To me that is in essence no different than ripple deleting - I'm not editing every day, and sometimes I cannot predict which clips will be moved/overwritten, so I have to undo ripple deleting, and do what I want another way.

What is the big deal?

Dan Sherman wrote:Clips getting screwed up by a sync is not a direct consequence. The user has no quick way of knowing ahead of time what might happen.

Where is the problem? The whole point of syncing is that the user does not necessarily know exactly where certain clip should end up. If the user would know exactly where the clip should go, then the user would move it there, right? It is the purpose of syncing to move clips where they need to go when user does not know where exactly they need to go.

And after syncing user sees where clips ended up, and can make corrections if necessary.

Haven't you ever used syncing in Premiere or seen somebody use it? It is far from perfects, but it is a great time saver! The issues you are trying to impose are non-issues - the benefits far outweighs potential "conflicts" (which can be avoided with certain workflow).

And software like PluralEyes showed us how syncing can work on unedited timeline. It works great.

What is the issue? You have examples of this function in other software - they are great timesavers, and nobody complains about "potential conflicts".

Dan Sherman wrote:BM only has a few options if they ran into a sync conflict

When clips are put into empty tracks, there will be no conflicts! Even if they are put on non-empty tracks, there might be conflicts, that will be corrected by user.

Dan Sherman wrote:none of them are ideal, and will lead to various levels of frustrated, irritated and irate users.

Wow! BMD better hire some psychologists so that users of their software don't go mad! I wonder how Premiere Pro and PluralEyes users still haven't slit their wrists out of frustration caused by syncing! :)

Dan Sherman wrote:The manual resolution screens would get expensive to implement because of the many possible conflicts.

If ripple delete can overwrite parts of existing clips, why syncing can't? And if user puts clips that need to be synced into empty tracks, there will basically be no conflicts.

Dan Sherman wrote:As i said, I'm a developer and I gave my opinion about the potential issues with the requested feature, and thus why i think its unlikely to be implemented.

Potential issues you gave are basically non-issues, or at least not serious enough issues so for that functionality not to be implemented. Especially with those two use scenarios that I presented, and most people would probably use syncing in those scenarios (in empty timeline - if PluralEyes and other similar software can do it, why Resolve shouldn't be able to do it?; syncing added clips to main audio in timeline - any conflicts can be avoided by putting new added clips into empty tracks).

If it won't be implemented, it won't be because other reasons, and not because of potential conflict (non-)issues.

Dan Sherman wrote:If the the numbers don't add up to a revenue increase, features don't get implemented

I agree with that. But that has nothing to do with those "conflicts" you mentioned, that are really a non-issue.

And also, "if the numbers don't add up to a revenue increase" does not mean that they don't add up. If I had to guess, I would say they add up - that could win over users of Premiere who don't want to move to Resolve because of syncing, and would also enable faster workflow for Resolve users that need syncing.

I believe it is just a matter of time when they implement it. They will ran out functions to implement that could significantly improve Resolve, so sooner or later they will have to add timeline syncing as a new significant feature. And many people will be very happy with that, even though that functionality could create some "conflicts" in certain situations. ;)

Jim Simon

PostSun Aug 18, 2019 11:18 pm

Dan Sherman wrote:Did I say their was no benefits from syncing in the timeline, no I didn't.

No, you didn't. But you do seem to be arguing against us ever seeing that benefit in Resolve. The folks who want that benefit find that frustrating.
Last edited by Jim Simon on Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

GeorgeDrake

PostMon Aug 19, 2019 12:39 pm

Dan Sherman wrote:
GeorgeDrake wrote:But in my work flow. Let's say I'm working on a music video. There is no way I am going to or even want to sync every clip to start. So the way I worked in Premiere was to start my edit... When I see a cut I like I add it to the timeline above the last clip. I select the new clip and the main audio track. Right click and hit sync. Premiere sends the new clip down the timeline until it matches. Done. Move on to the next clip.

Your workflow is almost the exact definition of how the cut page and sync bins are supposed to be used.

I tried the new sync on the cut page. (i know it is beta) I haven't been able to get it to work reliably. The one time I did and went to the edit page to keep working the multicam timeline was locked down.

This is the feature request forum... seems like you are pretty against this feature but I guarantee you, for some people doing a quick sync in the timeline is a huge time saver. For other, like yourself, you probably won't use it... similar how I don't use other features others requested that made it in...

Sam Steti

PostMon Aug 19, 2019 4:10 pm

Hey,
Just saw this thread here and though I'm still on 15.3, I'd like to add my 2 cts here...
What's needed is a bunch iof things which are actually closely connected, instead of considering them separately. I mean, suggesting to BMD :

- first, please make your audio sync engine super rock solid before anything else. No it's not so far and you can read it here around, and I know you also read that at least 3 major NLEs (+ Plural Eyes) smoke Resolve in this field... Please triple check that;

- THEN yes, make stacked clips on the TL syncable, preferably with the option of, a master one which would keep in place;

- consequently, allow making multicam files this way, since synced files in a multicam file can be reachable by "open in TL" anyway : it would be just the reverse way to achieve it BUT from a TL in the Edit page. Of course, if the first point above isn't corrected, this would be obsolete...

I think a lot of people would appreciate, and you wouldn't read complaints about multicam stuff either.

PS : I personally didn't have any problem with Plural Eyes and keep using it with satisfaction. But yes, this should be part of Resolve assets for sure
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

brandoncmanning

PostTue Sep 24, 2019 8:11 am

I want this or something similar.

Honestly what I read here is a TL;DR:

Just do exactly what Pluraleyes does within a timeline.

Forget *having* to even make it a multi cam. It should be possible in any timeline, multi-cam or otherwise.

The synchronizing engine is really good but it’s made the process SO much slower than the old workflow of using Pluraleyes -> Premiere. It’s become an unviable option given my switch to the amazingness that is .braw files, as it cannot read them!

PS: please auto-conform audio files to the same sample rate for synching purposes (i.e. create either cached or binned copies) so it can accommodate any audio source/quality mixed with another. I’m not positive but I think this has caused problems in the past with its ability to find an audio match.

Fabian Frank

PostMon Sep 30, 2019 8:37 am

Just that all of you know:
I would love to have better sync option in Resolve as well.
Very limited :-(
PLEASE!
Thanks.
Fabian

Reddydrag

PostTue Oct 01, 2019 7:20 pm

Jim Simon wrote:

Step 2, you edit.

So true!
Windows 10 pro 64 bit - DR 16.1.1 - Intel Core i9-9940x CPU @3.30GHz - 128 GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti | Studio driver 442.19 - BenQ PD series 4K monitor - 4 x SSD's 2TB - No internet connection - No antivirus - Audio through Voicemeeter

brandoncmanning

PostFri Oct 04, 2019 7:37 pm

Reddydrag wrote:
Jim Simon wrote:

Step 2, you edit.

So true!

Yes, that is how to start.

So what happens when you have to add pieces later? What happens if you decide to change things and have to re-sync a handful of clips to the whole timeline as it sits? When you synchro everything it still doesn’t give you a full timeline with all your external audio sources separately ...it contains each point of synchronization within the boundaries of each clip. What if you’re synchronizing a music video or a live show without timecode (I wager more than 90% of all freelancers would be in this boat) and you just want to throw everything on the timeline and have it auto-organize everything?

Again, if you have never used Pluraleyes, download and try it. It literally does everything right that anyone could ask for in synchronizing multiple media sources with multiple frame rates just by waveform analysis. It auto matches and places clips on their own tracks and you can modify how it does it if you have done multiple takes with the same content (ie music video). It’s a one click solution but is not compatible with using a black magic raw workflow.

Jim Simon

PostFri Oct 04, 2019 7:52 pm

brandoncmanning wrote:So what happens when you have to add pieces later?

You Insert the video, add the audio underneath, select those two clips and sync.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jim Simon

PostFri Oct 04, 2019 7:53 pm

brandoncmanning wrote:What if you just want to throw everything on the timeline and have it auto-organize everything?

That's what assistant editors are for. ;)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

rick.lang

PostFri Oct 04, 2019 8:04 pm

I can see I’m going to have a lot of head-banging fun next week when I start my two camera and (four mic) multiple tracks from the MixPre-6 II. I’m used to doing one camera and on-board mics recording in camera. At least I hope to be saved by really good Tentacle Sync Timecode if it survives being wrung through Reaper.

Rick Lang

brandoncmanning

PostFri Oct 04, 2019 8:55 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
brandoncmanning wrote:So what happens when you have to add pieces later?

You Insert the video, add the audio underneath, select those two clips and sync.

By what method? Are you saying to manually sync? Because that’s not what we are talking about. We are taking about auto-synching within the timeline - as in the clips snap to whatever you are synching to.

Jim Simon

PostSat Oct 05, 2019 3:28 pm

brandoncmanning wrote:Are you saying to manually sync?

The point of this FR is to add the four basic sync methods to clips selected in a timeline - timecode, audio, In point, and marker.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

cire30a

PostSat Oct 05, 2019 5:21 pm

this would be a great feature. I use syncalia and its works well, but there are times when i get new sources in from other cameras at a later date, and i know where they go but have to manually sync. the idea of reexporting an entire timeline i just organized and have been editing in is obsured, when all i need to do is drag a clip on top of another clip, and let resolve use its math it already has to do so.

dschamis

PostMon Oct 14, 2019 8:54 pm

I'm shocked that DR can't do this. I am at the 5 yard line from moving over from Premiere Pro and ready to buy the Studio version but really can't do it without this. I do a lot of sports where I am constantly clipping a scoreboard camera into the bottom right corner of the screen and sync'ng with Timecode. DR seems so much better than PP, but I really need this one piece to be easy to do and to give PP credit, it is really easy to do.

I hope they add this in 17!

David

brandoncmanning

PostMon Oct 14, 2019 10:16 pm

cire30a wrote:this would be a great feature. I use syncalia and its works well, but there are times when i get new sources in from other cameras at a later date, and i know where they go but have to manually sync. the idea of reexporting an entire timeline i just organized and have been editing in is obsured, when all i need to do is drag a clip on top of another clip, and let resolve use its math it already has to do so.

Dan Sherman

PostTue Oct 15, 2019 10:08 am

dschamis wrote:I'm shocked that DR can't do this. I am at the 5 yard line from moving over from Premiere Pro and ready to buy the Studio version but really can't do it without this. I do a lot of sports where I am constantly clipping a scoreboard camera into the bottom right corner of the screen and sync'ng with Timecode. DR seems so much better than PP, but I really need this one piece to be easy to do and to give PP credit, it is really easy to do.

I hope they add this in 17!

David

This is what the cut pages is for!

Mel Matsuoka

PostFri Nov 22, 2019 10:33 pm

Adding my +1 to this request. It's a glaring omission from Resolve's editing features, and is one that the Premiere editors my facility are guaranteed to complain about if/when they switch over to Resolve for editing. Even Final Cut Pro 7 had this capability!

In Premiere, it's a simple operation of selecting clips in the timeline, then selecting "Clip/Synchronize", and choose "Timecode" as the sync point:

Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

vbutinar

PostSun Nov 24, 2019 10:14 pm

I agree sync in the timeline is one of the essential features.

A couple of months ago we shoot a two hour concert with a bunch of cameras and the sound was recorded directly form the mixing board in order to sync the video clips.
Well I synced everything into a multicam sequence and edited it and everything was just fine until two months later I receive the sound clips for every song that had been worked on by the sound engineer.
But I had now way of syncing the clips onto one of the sound tracks. So I had to sync all the sound clips manually by hand and recheck and then fix any problems which took an enorme amount of time which would be avoided by simply being able to drag them onto the timeline and sync them to the clips and sound.

Hector Corcin

PostTue Nov 26, 2019 4:20 pm

+1 for sync in the timeline :)

MadPanic

PostFri Nov 29, 2019 12:03 am

+1 for Sync in timeline and adding to existing multicam clips
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.5 build7, MacStudio M2 Ultra 128Gb, OSX Sonoma,10TB SSD (2TB, & 2x 4TB). URSA Broadcast 6.7, BMPCC 6K, Cubase 13

Jim Simon

PostFri Nov 29, 2019 2:46 pm

MadPanic wrote:adding to existing multicam clips

We can already to this part. (Sync in Timeline would make it easier, though.)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

MadPanic

PostFri Nov 29, 2019 7:31 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
We can already to this part. (Sync in Timeline would make it easier, though.)

Can we? I know you can add new clips to a multicam clip manually but how do you get them added by timecode automatically? Is that a new feature?
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.5 build7, MacStudio M2 Ultra 128Gb, OSX Sonoma,10TB SSD (2TB, & 2x 4TB). URSA Broadcast 6.7, BMPCC 6K, Cubase 13

Jim Simon

PostFri Nov 29, 2019 11:21 pm

MadPanic wrote:I know you can add new clips to a multicam clip manually

Then why did you ask for it?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

MadPanic

PostSat Nov 30, 2019 5:48 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
MadPanic wrote:I know you can add new clips to a multicam clip manually

Then why did you ask for it?

I think you maybe misunderstanding the feature I am requesting (I had the context in my head!).

If you have timecoded clips, you can add them to a multicam clip, simple, all clips synched. You start working with that multicam clip, then more footage arrives or even external sound, that is also timecoded. If you have one or two clips, you can do it manually.

If you have a whole bunch, it would be nice to be able to select them, and have them automatically synced and placed at the correct timecode in the existing multicam clip, much like how you synced all your clips to create the multicam clip in the first place.

I spent some time last night looking at ways around this and have come up with a workaround.

1. Go to Multicam clip, select all and create a compound clip with the same start timecode as the Multicam clip.
2. Go to media page, select the new Compound clip and new footage, create a temporary Multicam clip (InterimMC).
3. Open InterimMC and arrange your new clip to be on a higher track, and drag the compound clip to V1, then delete empty tracks.
4. Right click the Compound clip and select "Decompose in place"
5. Select all, then Edit->Copy (or CMD+C)
6. Open the existing MC clip in the timeline, select all, and delete.
7. Go to Edit->Paste (CMD+V)
8. Remove the compound clip and Interim MultiCam clip

Voila, Additional footage added & synced to the correct point of an existing multicam sequence

Jim Simon

PostSun Dec 01, 2019 12:49 am

MadPanic wrote:I think you maybe misunderstanding

I was kind of thinking the same about you.

What you're looking for is a two step process.

1. Add the clips.
2. Sync them automatically.

This entire thread is about part 2. Thank for for adding your voice to the choir.

But you don't need to ask for part 1 because it's already there.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

MadPanic

PostMon Dec 02, 2019 9:34 am

Jim Simon wrote:What you're looking for is a two step process.

1. Add the clips.
2. Sync them automatically.

This entire thread is about part 2. Thank for for adding your voice to the choir.

I wasn't interested in Point 1, I think you misunderstood by first post on the subject My post was solely and entirely related to point 2 (automatic syncing and positioning), with the added qualification of automatically syncing additional clips to an already established multicam sequence which you appear to have interpreted as me not understanding that clips could be manually added to a multicam clip. Automatic syncing has always the subject of my additional +1 and of my posts on this subject.

I have even shared a workaround in my previous post, that I came up with to allow exactly that for the benefit of everyone here. This can also potentially be used to build sync timelines outside of a multicam setup by changing the process slightly (using a multicam clip as an intermediary step).

Apologies if you find my voice discordent with the choir! Have a good day.

Dan Sherman

PostMon Dec 02, 2019 5:40 pm

MadPanic wrote:I have even shared a workaround in my previous post, that I came up with to allow exactly that for the benefit of everyone here. This can also potentially be used to build sync timelines outside of a multicam setup by changing the process slightly (using a multicam clip as an intermediary step).

Apologies if you find my voice discordent with the choir! Have a good day.

A better workaround imo, is to use the cut page for this scenario.

If all your clips have time code and the appropriate meta data to determine angles, then as soon as you open the cut page the new clips will show up in the sync bin properly synced and ready to be cut into the timeline.

In a lot of ways the cut page makes the multi-cam functionality redundant unless you have 10+ angles.

deezid

PostTue Dec 03, 2019 12:35 am

I agree. A sync option inside the timeline via rightclick (either using timecode or waveform) would be a fantastic and missing feature.
Download my 55M Advanced Luts for the Pocket 4K and 6K and UMP12K here:
https://55media.net/55mluts/

Nick Lear

PostTue Dec 03, 2019 6:39 am

+1 This is one thing Premiere does that Resolve doesn't and I have needed it a lot.
Win Pro 10, Threadripper 3960x, 128GB RAM, RTX 4080 16GB VRAM, Resolve Studio 18.5 b41
Next

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests