Windows 1903 update ruined everything

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Jimmy87

Windows 1903 update ruined everything

PostTue Sep 10, 2019 5:28 pm

Hi.
I started my own business to convert some old videotapes to computer and so on. After i purchased and started usin Blackmagic intensity shuttle USB 3.0 everything worked allmost as supposed to. But when windows forced me to take this 1903 update everything stopped working. First the Desktop video software didnt find the shuttle, then I updated the Desktop software to 11.2 version. Now it can find the device, but doesent give any video or eaven audio trough. Only black screen. I tested that with my old computer with windows 8.1 and put exact same settings and there no problem. The I updated the Desktop software to latest 11.4 version and that didnt do any good. I tryed to send e-mail to the blackmagic customerservise about FIVE TIMES and no answer. Getting real pissed off here and just about to throw whole DAMN EXPENSIVE PAPER WEIGHT to my nextdoor neighbour. Theres no Driver issues anymore cause it can find the device. I cant be the onlyone to have these problems with the update and I really need help. My hole business is on hold.

MambaFiber.com

Re: Windows 1903 update ruined everything

PostWed Sep 11, 2019 1:49 am

at least the 1903 update didn't render your computer non-bootable... I had a Dell XPS13 suffer this last week. Really get pissed at MS when you simply click "update then shutdown" like you've done countless times before...and BOOM :evil:
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Brad Hurley

PostWed Sep 11, 2019 11:28 am

I'm sorry nobody has proposed solutions to your immediate problem, but the larger lesson in this is to do what most Hollywood studios do: any mission-critical computer is cut off completely from the internet.

Get everything set up the way you want it and then cut the wifi or Ethernet and never update your computer again, unless some new version of software you use has a must-have feature that's worth upgrading for. Keep a separate cheap laptop, tablet, Chromebook, or whatever, for any tasks for which you need online access. Transfer files to your production machine by USB drive. Sounds tedious, but compared with what you're dealing with now it's nothing.

Good luck.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Greg_E

PostWed Sep 11, 2019 8:31 pm

I'll probably find out soon, I know my computer is waiting to install this update, and sooner or later it will force the issue.

Jimmy87

PostThu Sep 12, 2019 2:33 pm

Well getting a desktop with Windows 8.1 and cutting it off the internet is my plan right now. And I guess its the easyes way, but that it getting me more pissed of than I allready was. How the hell these expesive peace of shits can be allways like this. Working like week or month like it should be and then the troubles begins with "New better update with more functions..blaablaablaa"
All of you who dont have these issue yet, please be prepared and cut you computer from the internet or updates ( Not that holdin updates can be eaven an option )
Im dealing with the customerservice right now and I will post here the solution if I will ever get one.
I wish everyone a strong mental healt dealing with this crab.

Eric-Jan

PostThu Sep 12, 2019 7:05 pm

So an other alternative would be to switch to a Mac (pro) PC ?
But what is needed for good use with Davinci Resolve ? how much would this cost ?
Windows M$ has also the tendency to get slower each time software is added, so it would mean no other software installation for a good "Davinci Resolve (Studio?) PC" ?
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Jimmy87

PostFri Sep 13, 2019 3:10 pm

Yes I know that windows isnt the best solution, but its better for budget. And Im so fustrated because every solution is all most just " buy some more stuff " and seem like thats the only way to go. It shouldn`t be like that. Atleast once you should get exact what you paid for and like it was promised.
I have mac computer with Final cut for video editing and that has been good working condition over 8 years now and Im blannig to update whole editing system when get the budjet. ( and Im sure that im gonne keep on with mac )
Now I get a temporary solution with cheap used desktop with Windows 10 pro updated over year ago. Suprise suprise it working perfectly. Once again, solution was to buy some more crab to get things working as they should. Now I will keep that desktop offline all the time so I think its gonna work for many years. Blackmagic customerservise send me a DHL pickup to get that Shuttle back to the factory and they gonna fix it or send me another. At least the customerservice is working there and maybe I will get that thing working as it should within a month.

Brad Hurley

PostFri Sep 13, 2019 5:39 pm

Sounds good. A decent computer cut off from the internet should last you a good 10 years or more. I had a Thinkpad running Windows 2000 that kept going for 12 years, and a clothing manufacturer in my city was until recently running their entire business (apart from web and email) on iMac G3 computers circa 1999 or 2000.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Jimmy87

PostSat Sep 14, 2019 6:41 am

Thats so wrong. I mean the computers and devices will last long if you dont use them online like they are build for and the updates should keep the devices running longer, but they are doing guite opposite. So pissed off to this disposable culture what comes to smartphones and computers.

Well I get a sign of life from my intensity shuttle USB 3.0 now tyring to fix orginal problem. (Windows 10, 1903 update) I put the analog video input levels to the max on every choise. Componen, Composite and S-Video levels to the Max allso. Then it gave a singal trough with Video and audio. Very crappy result though and cant work with that, but just saying if that can help anyone.
If you put all the analog video input levels to the max and clikc the Japan option, you might get some signal and then start dropping the levels back to the normal.
It should not work like that, but at least theres some signal to work with.

Greg_E

PostThu Sep 19, 2019 9:16 pm

My computer had this in the queue, did an update today finally and I see that I'm still on 1809. MS must have pulled the 1903 update for now, it is no longer waiting when I go to updates and look.

And my Intensity Shuttle USB still works after whatever update it did today. Must have just been security roll ups.

Denny Smith

PostMon Sep 30, 2019 5:55 pm

Seems to me that the 1903 Windows iodate went from wiggles and distorted looking window glass to clesr looking window glass... :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

mdegans

PostTue Oct 01, 2019 9:00 pm

1903 Broke my Microsoft branded Surface Book 2. Recommend reinstalling windows from the previous version since you can't revert after 10 days. Also recommend waiting before updating to any new Windows release, even those supposedly marked as Stable. Heaven help those masochists running Insiders builds.

Jimmy87

PostWed Oct 02, 2019 5:01 pm

Well I fixed the problem at least oneway. So I send my Insentity shuttle back to BlackMagic and they said it was workin fine. I guess they have all the eguipments so they dont have any problem to get all the blackmagic softwares and hardwares working in perfect harmony. So they send the devise back to me. I bought a new powerful Desktop PC with premiere pro 2019CC. That didnt work either. Same damn problem with this new PC allso. It get the audio but no video.
So I cant eaven describe how deeb in **** and anger I was/ I am. Hunders of Euros gone down to drain just because this FU+++NG update.

Solution: I downloaded the OBS Studio software. Its totally free and has thousands of caputing and recording options. You can eaven capture straight to Mp4, FLV or many more small compressed video right away without converting. So you can save **** load of diskspace if you need just some homevideo to share.
https://obsproject.com/

Cheers and strenght trough pain :D
Last edited by Jimmy87 on Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jimmy87

PostWed Oct 02, 2019 5:14 pm

And what is making the whole two month lasting crying, wristcutting, selfhating season was the Desktop video software with the windows update. The Shuttle should be working allso with premiere as it has been developed. BUT NOOOOOO. The blackmagic own software or not eaven Expensive professional software can do the job. Freeware fix the problem.
Atleast I get that working perfectly in my laptop, but the desktop PC dos have some same problems still. But atleast Im back in business, NO THANKS TO BLACK MAGIC

Jimmy87

PostSat Oct 05, 2019 11:52 am

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!
Back Magic Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0
Windows 10, April 2019 Update 1903 version
Desktop Video version 11.4

I got Fixed the whole issue for now. All the time the Video Desktop and Media Express found the device but it was gettin only audio. Video was just black screen.
I was using composite input from VHS recorder. So for some reason still I get video trough when I put the COMPONENT VIDEO signals to the max in Desktop video. It was getting video trough. After you get you video showing, then you can drop the Component levels back to zero and it still working like it should be.
I dont have any clue why this is helping, but atleast now its working again. It is all most like the Shuttle needed some kind of videosignal agionplasty.

This might help all of you poor ones that this issue will appear with the lates Windows update.
Cheers.

Return to Getting Started