Blackmagic Pocket vs. Z-CAM

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Que Thompson

Blackmagic Pocket vs. Z-CAM

PostWed Oct 09, 2019 4:58 pm

So, I was playing with the idea of getting a Z-CAM E2 (strictly because of the form factor & use of Sony batteries) and I downloaded some sample files (h.265), loaded them up in Resolve, and my computer did NOT like them. I have:
  • Dell Precision 7710 laptop
  • 32GB Ram
  • i7-6820HQ 2.7GHz (4 Core)
  • 500GB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD (3500MB/s) (internal) Running Windows 10 OS
  • 1TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD as working drive (internal)
  • 4GB M3000M NVDIA Graphics Card
They were dragging along as if I heavily graded them and added some FX or something I was getting maybe 3-4fps playback at full resolution. Very confusing... and completely removed the idea of getting one from my mind. In all reality, I love Blackmagic, I have since the original BMCC. The Pocket 4K is amazing and is superior to the Z-CAM image wise. So...

Dear Blackmagic,
Please design the next camera to be in a similar form factor (Z-CAM, RED, Arri Mini), like a larger Micro Cinema Camera or a completely new design. I just want something that has a professional look, centered weight distribution and high "gimbalability" :lol: .
Last edited by Que Thompson on Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Denny Smith

Re: Blackmagic Pocket vs. Z-CAM

PostWed Oct 09, 2019 5:16 pm

Yes, h.264/265 AVCHD files are more computer intensive than ProRes files, and needs a larger memory and faster processor to work.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

joe12south

PostWed Oct 09, 2019 6:44 pm

You can record Prores on the Z-CAM, as well as their own flavor of RAW.
Dedicated curmudgeon. Part-time artiste.

Dmytro Shijan

PostWed Oct 09, 2019 7:17 pm

Z-Cam is sort of complicated way. Too overpriced, feels like "made in China" not too perfectly designed product. Z-log is not supported native in Resolve, but they have LUTs and OFX plugins to work with it. Z-RAW can not be imported to Resolve or any other editing app at all. Aliasing/Moire is there. Older models with ugly noise in shadows and so low dynamic range (see Cinema5D Z_Cam vs Pocket4 tests). Newer models are widely not tested yet, but with some skills it may produce nice footage (as well as any other camera in this price range)

My suggestion as usual - Rig BMMCC, add OLPF filter and be happy https://bmmccrigs.tumblr.com/

(image by Jérôme Vogel)
BMMCC/BMMSC Rigs Collection https://bmmccrigs.tumblr.com
My custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Que Thompson

PostWed Oct 09, 2019 7:57 pm

Dmitry Shijan wrote:Image
(image by Jérôme Vogel)

I agree... And that rig is the future! I can see it now. 6K 60fps. Exactly the same, just bigger. Make one in the UMP price range and one in the Pocket 6K price range. I need at least 60fps, so the Micro Cinema Camera just isn't an option, this form factor is where I think Blackmagic should be going anyway.

Brad Hurley

PostWed Oct 09, 2019 8:03 pm

Que Thompson wrote: I need at least 60fps, so the Micro Cinema Camera just isn't an option, this form factor is where I think Blackmagic should be going anyway.

The Micro Cinema Camera does 60fps, in prores or compressed (3:1) cDNG raw.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Que Thompson

PostWed Oct 09, 2019 8:15 pm

Brad Hurley wrote:
Que Thompson wrote: I need at least 60fps, so the Micro Cinema Camera just isn't an option, this form factor is where I think Blackmagic should be going anyway.

The Micro Cinema Camera does 60fps, in prores or compressed (3:1) cDNG raw.

Wayne Steven

PostFri Oct 11, 2019 5:51 am

Que Thompson wrote:So, I was playing with the idea of getting a Z-CAM E2 (strictly because of the form factor & use of Sony batteries) and I downloaded some sample files (h.265), loaded them up in Resolve, and my computer did NOT like them. I have:
  • Dell Precision 7710 laptop
  • 32GB Ram
  • i7-6820HQ 2.7GHz (4 Core)
  • 500GB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD (3500MB/s) (internal) Running Windows 10 OS
  • 1TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD as working drive (internal)
  • 4GB M3000M NVDIA Graphics Card
They were dragging along as if I heavily graded them and added some FX or something I was getting maybe 3-4fps playback at full resolution. Very confusing... and completely removed the idea of getting one from my mind. In all reality, I love Blackmagic, I have since the original BMCC. The Pocket 4K is amazing and is superior to the Z-CAM image wise. So...

Dear Blackmagic,
Please design the next camera to be in a similar form factor (Z-CAM, RED, Arri Mini), like a larger Micro Cinema Camera or a completely new design. I just want something that has a professional look, centered weight distribution and high "gimbalability" :lol: .

Yes Que, we ask for a new Micro.

As for the h265. Yes, it is a resource heavy effort, but hardware decoding helps, as does hardware encoding, but h264 might work faster, or intra forms.

Using prores or zraw, is probably an good alternative. In normal eng television workflows h264+ is an option.
aIf you are not truthfully progressive, maybe you shouldn't say anything
bTruthful side topics in-line with or related to, the discussion accepted
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

John Brawley

PostFri Oct 11, 2019 8:41 am

Que Thompson wrote:
Dear Blackmagic,

Looks a and sounds a lot like what RED are attempting with Komodo, and the Z Cam wanted to do but don't seem to have nailed it yet.

I'd argue the Micro was the "first" cinema camera in this tiny box style so let's hope BMD continue the line and jump the contenders.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Valery Axenov

PostFri Oct 11, 2019 11:25 am

In any case it's better not work directly with compressed codec and use for montage proper codec (let say, ProRes and even use LT version). Than you will be able to got final master copy in original heavy codec. Graphic card is more than sufficient.

Return to Cinematography