Radeon VII and BRAW problems?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Ian Henderson

Radeon VII and BRAW problems?

PostThu Oct 10, 2019 11:33 am

I saw that Puget Systems had problems with BRAW on the Radeon VII when they tested it. Have these issues been resolved with the latest drivers? Thinking of getting one for my Hackintosh to run Resolve 16 Studio to replace a Vega 56.

MishaEngel

Re: Radeon VII and BRAW problems?

PostThu Oct 10, 2019 12:31 pm

Ian Henderson wrote:I saw that Puget Systems had problems with BRAW on the Radeon VII when they tested it. Have these issues been resolved with the latest drivers? Thinking of getting one for my Hackintosh to run Resolve 16 Studio to replace a Vega 56.

We have 3 Radeon VII's and they work great under Windows 10.
Linus already showed a hackintosh in one of his many video's with a Radeon VII.
You will mostly benefit with noise reduction with the Radeon VII compared to the Vega 56.

Ian Henderson

PostThu Oct 10, 2019 6:59 pm

Thanks - I assume you’re running BRAW on your system? According to Puget that was the only codec that gave issues.

MishaEngel

PostThu Oct 10, 2019 9:25 pm

Ian Henderson wrote:Thanks - I assume you’re running BRAW on your system? According to Puget that was the only codec that gave issues.

BRAW, cDNG, ProRes, DNxHR, Cineform, .R3D, AVC, h264, h265, etc...
No issues what so ever.
Puget tested the Radeon VII with early drivers(press release drivers).

Bartek Podkowa

PostFri Oct 11, 2019 12:07 am

I installed a Radeon VII yesterday (replacing a 1080Ti) and this has been my experience:
1) Resolve 15 - garbled BRAW in the viewer
2) Updated to newest GPU drivers (as far as I can tell - this was at 1am ;) ) - still garbled
3) Updated to Resolve 16 - BRAW playback fixed and flawless
4) Next checked some 50fps h264 clips - noticeably worse playback than on the 1080Ti, heavy stutter even with no grading
5) Updated to Resolve 16.1b3 - 50fps h264 playback back to normal when grade is off, slightly worse playback than on the 1080Ti when grade is on (although tbh in both cases it wasn't really playable).

With all these updates almost everything seems to be working fine, with one small exception - when I first open Resolve it seems to take a while for the viewer to display any video. Not sure if anyone else has encountered the same issue?

Everything else seems to be fine, including BRAW, and one test export I did last night was ~16% faster than on the 1080Ti. This was a mixture of 4K ProRes LT and 4K BRAW Q5, both with temporal and spatial noise reduction as well as several pretty basic color nodes.

MishaEngel

PostFri Oct 11, 2019 12:17 pm

Bartek Podkowa wrote:I installed a Radeon VII yesterday (replacing a 1080Ti) and this has been my experience:
1) Resolve 15 - garbled BRAW in the viewer
2) Updated to newest GPU drivers (as far as I can tell - this was at 1am ;) ) - still garbled
3) Updated to Resolve 16 - BRAW playback fixed and flawless
4) Next checked some 50fps h264 clips - noticeably worse playback than on the 1080Ti, heavy stutter even with no grading
5) Updated to Resolve 16.1b3 - 50fps h264 playback back to normal when grade is off, slightly worse playback than on the 1080Ti when grade is on (although tbh in both cases it wasn't really playable).

With all these updates almost everything seems to be working fine, with one small exception - when I first open Resolve it seems to take a while for the viewer to display any video. Not sure if anyone else has encountered the same issue?

Everything else seems to be fine, including BRAW, and one test export I did last night was ~16% faster than on the 1080Ti. This was a mixture of 4K ProRes LT and 4K BRAW Q5, both with temporal and spatial noise reduction as well as several pretty basic color nodes.

Turn HBCC ON.

Bartek Podkowa

PostFri Oct 11, 2019 2:53 pm

MishaEngel wrote:Turn HBCC ON.

I already have :) Currently it's at the default (lowest) setting. Do you think bumping it up might make a difference?

MishaEngel

PostSat Oct 12, 2019 12:31 pm

Bartek Podkowa wrote:
MishaEngel wrote:Turn HBCC ON.

I already have :) Currently it's at the default (lowest) setting. Do you think bumping it up might make a difference?

We use 3 of them and they work great.

joe12south

PostSat Oct 12, 2019 1:17 pm

when I first open Resolve it seems to take a while for the viewer to display any video. Not sure if anyone else has encountered the same issue?

I've got this same issue with a Vega FE.
Dedicated curmudgeon. Part-time artiste.

joe12south

PostSat Oct 12, 2019 1:18 pm

MishaEngel wrote:You will mostly benefit with noise reduction with the Radeon VII compared to the Vega 56.

Do you think you can you get stable 24fps playback on a 4K timeline out of the Radeon VII? I'm contemplating upgrading a Vega FE, but there's little point if I can't hit that milestone.
Dedicated curmudgeon. Part-time artiste.

Ian Henderson

PostSat Oct 12, 2019 1:46 pm

joe12south wrote:
MishaEngel wrote:You will mostly benefit with noise reduction with the Radeon VII compared to the Vega 56.

Do you think you can you get stable 24fps playback on a 4K timeline out of the Radeon VII? I'm contemplating upgrading a Vega FE, but there's little point if I can't hit that milestone.

I get that easily on a Vega 56 on my Hackintosh, but depends how many nodes.

John Paines

PostSat Oct 12, 2019 1:53 pm

joe12south wrote:Do you think you can you get stable 24fps playback on a 4K timeline out of the Radeon VII? I'm contemplating upgrading a Vega FE, but there's little point if I can't hit that milestone.

If you expect to apply NR, OFXs like Film Grain, Power Windows, etc., to 4K braw on 4K timelines as per your other thread, it's not likely you'll get 24fps playback. Even with two Radeon VIIs you're unlikely to get it. And this assumes you can stand the noise (I have a "silent" case as well, in which I can hear every fan). Node caching exists for a reason.

Mario Kalogjera

PostSat Oct 12, 2019 2:24 pm

Why not use the "standard" Candle benchmark and see how the GPU performs compared to other GPUs. This is the only way one can make sure the GPU performs at it's nominal level? This subjective evaluation i.e. wishful thinking of what ones GPU should be capable of without reference leads to much frustration.

Sent from my GM 5 Plus d using Tapatalk
Asus Prime X370-Pro+R7 3700X@PBO+32 GB G.Skill AEGIS DDR-4@3200MHz
Sapphire RX6700 10GB
Adata A400 120GB System,A2000 500GB Scratch SSDs
Media storage:"Always in motion is it"
BMD Mini Monitor 4K
Windows 11 Pro+Resolve Studio 18+Fusion Studio 18

Return to DaVinci Resolve