Where can I read about the BRAW format?

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

ilia3101

Where can I read about the BRAW format?

PostMon Oct 14, 2019 5:24 pm

The product page (/products/blackmagicraw) says BRAW is an "Open Standard", and I would like some help finding the information about it. I want to know about the file format, is there a PDF or some kind of specification I can look at?

I would like to read about what "partially debayered" means, what compression algorithms are used and how the files are structured.

Brendan Dower

Blackmagic Design

Re: Where can I read about the BRAW format?

PostFri Oct 18, 2019 4:15 am

Hi Ilia,

Blackmagic RAW is defined as an Open Standard because it is cross-platform and open for anybody to include in their products/develop with using our free SDK.

You can find all the information on Blackmagic RAW including drivers, manuals, the SDK and the player at our developer website: (/developer/product/camera)

It can also be downloaded at the bottom of the product page (/products/blackmagicraw). The manual is included inside this download.

Kind regards,
Brendan
Blackmagic Developer Support
Brendan Dower
Blackmagic Design Developer Support

ilia3101

PostThu Oct 24, 2019 3:53 pm

Brendan Dower wrote:Hi Ilia,

Blackmagic RAW is defined as an Open Standard because it is cross-platform and open for anybody to include in their products/develop with using our free SDK.

You can find all the information on Blackmagic RAW including drivers, manuals, the SDK and the player at our developer website: (/developer/product/camera)

It can also be downloaded at the bottom of the product page (/products/blackmagicraw). The manual is included inside this download.

Kind regards,
Brendan
Blackmagic Developer Support

Thanks. Is is possible to get a non debayered image through the SDK?

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Oct 25, 2019 9:50 am

ilia3101 wrote:Is is possible to get a non debayered image through the SDK?

No, the SDK is a highly optimized decoder and image processing pipeline which can provide output in various pixel formats (BlackmagicRawResourceFormat) with a variety of selectable gammas and gamuts.

Its worth reading the SDK manual and especially the introduction if you'd like to know more.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

ilia3101

PostThu Oct 31, 2019 7:00 pm

CaptainHook wrote:
ilia3101 wrote:Is is possible to get a non debayered image through the SDK?

No, the SDK is a highly optimized decoder and image processing pipeline which can provide output in various pixel formats (BlackmagicRawResourceFormat) with a variety of selectable gammas and gamuts.

Its worth reading the SDK manual and especially the introduction if you'd like to know more.

Ok thanks, I understand what the SDK is like now. I have been looking at the manual.

My feature request, if you guys get around to considering feature requests: please add capabilities to the SDK for accessing the raw data in more low level ways, and if possible straight to the bayer image.

I'm sure this is in the manual, but can the SDK provide an image simply in the camera sensor's native gamut? Like right after debayer, and linear. And then is it possible to get the colour matrix needed for converting that image to other gamuts?

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Oct 31, 2019 7:54 pm

ilia3101 wrote:I'm sure this is in the manual, but can the SDK provide an image simply in the camera sensor's native gamut? Like right after debayer, and linear. And then is it possible to get the colour matrix needed for converting that image to other gamuts?

We don't provide sensor RGB as an output, but we do have XYZ which with linear means you can transform to any other colour space desired. Thanks.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Return to Software Developers