Can Braw be done in h265/6 on a mobile phone.

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

Wayne Steven

Can Braw be done in h265/6 on a mobile phone.

PostWed Oct 16, 2019 5:25 am

Looking at it, a very high bit rate h264/5/6/7 codec in a standardised media container with metadata, where the pixel values match underlying Bayer value in the channel involved at that pixel location.

Data rates will be between 1/2 to 1/8 what they are now for similar quality (I do not know if h266/67 will have enough master frame performance for this). So, at a minimum 27MB/s you can then get less than 13.5MB/s. So, instead of the low 216mb/s lower end, you could look at 27-108mb/s on the lower end, definitely in the paranoidly low mobile phone range. It means that 8k is just 4x this (13.5-54MB/s). Of course, these do not include the higher data rates, but any phone that can't do 300mb/s+ is simply not trying.

A Braw mobile version of the codec would be interesting.
aIf you are not truthfully progressive, maybe you shouldn't say anything
bTruthful side topics in-line with or related to, the discussion accepted
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Greg_E

Re: Can Braw be done in h265/6 on a mobile phone.

PostFri Oct 18, 2019 2:15 pm

I'll agree that a Braw for mobile devices would be very cool, the h.264 is still an mpeg encoding so can't be any form of raw as it is inherently lossy.

I can only image what Filmic Pro could do if they could make any form of RAW available for any of the decent phones. With the Apple lawsuit against RED, we may well see this is the very near future if they win. Then BRaw might be a good option for non-apple phones, so hope BMD has the licensing ready to go for this, hope it is cheap too. Apple would of course use Prores Raw on their devices.

Wayne Steven

PostFri Oct 18, 2019 4:49 pm

I agree, good thinking Greg.

There is pro video intra frame h264. I forget the name, but it was a Panasonic attempt I think. There are different levels of codec specifications with these codecs, including ones suitable for pro use. Braw itself is not exactly Bayer, but mpeg 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 YUV, people think. The Bayer raw part comes in where the Bayer values are recorded in the matching component video values, enabling them to be reconstructed and taken out. That is the speculation. Somebody over at another site was able to access programming information pertain to mpeg, and people worked out that the things they were seeing pertained to the encoding I mentioned above.
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Wayne Steven

PostSun Oct 20, 2019 5:12 pm

Wayne Steven

PostSun Oct 20, 2019 5:16 pm

See this licensing Braw to Google or LG thread:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=101034

Return to Off-Topic