BMD Devices not recognised in Mac OSX High Sierra

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Daniel Müller

Re: BMD Devices not recognised in Mac OSX High Sierra

PostFri Apr 20, 2018 10:49 am

Hi,

i made a new clean install and that helped.

Best

Daniel

Scott Smith

PostFri Apr 20, 2018 12:55 pm

Tangentially related issue is that High Sierra has disabled a few protocols by default - one of which is telnet. I frequently use telnet with Videohub routing. It can also be used with Hyperdeck machine control. It is often a part of the blackmagic to computer interfacing, or a protocol used by third party software stuff. I don't know if any of the stuff under the hood of Blackmagic software actually employs telnet in the background of the software, but it wouldn't surprise me. So, you may have to enable Telnet.

In terminal, type:
brew install telnet telnetd

You may have to run this one twice, as the first effort may say that Homebrew is not installed. If so, confirm installation of Homebrew, and run it again.

If you want ftp stuff, it has also been disabled....
brew install tnftp tnftpd
Scott R Smith
BMD Stuff I use: ATEM 2-M/E, 4 x ATEM PS 4K, Broadcast Videohub, 6 Hyperdeck Pros, 4 Hyperdeck Shuttles, Multidock, Smartscope Duo, Smartview, Intensity Extreme, Decklink Studio, and lots of Miniconverters and Open Gear Converters.

asflyboy

PostSat May 05, 2018 7:56 pm

Even though disabling SIP does work it also causes problems. After disabling my iMac restarts on it's own several times a day.

Could BlackMagic address this in a software or firmware update?

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostMon May 07, 2018 11:46 pm

to quote myself from just a bit ago.

Tony Rivera wrote:Xtreemtec (Daniel) was nice enough to put together a list of information for users. You can find information on this topic here.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

marcisshadow

PostWed Jun 20, 2018 10:00 pm

Fix for Intensity Shuttle USB3 on MacOS HighSierra with mid-2014 MacBook Pro: NO visits to Sys Prefs > Security & Privacy required. No root accounts required. No disabling critical system sanity routines.

This works if you haven’t updated Desktop Video in eons, and decide to go straight to 10.11 (which won’t work).

• Use AppCleaner to remove all traces of Black Magic from system.
  • UNPLUG all devices.
  • Download Desktop Video 10.7 and install.
  • Restart.
  • Plug in. You should be prompted to update firmware. Do so.
  • Unplug, replug as prompted.
  • Run Desktop video. Confirm device is detected.
  • NOW install Desktop Video 10.11
  • Restart when prompted.
  • Tada - works.

Going from ancient Desktop Video (10.5) directly to 10.11 doesn't update the device's firmware, thus 10.11 doesn't recognise it nor provide a firmware updater for it.

ibteeman

PostSat Jul 14, 2018 1:22 pm

I also had this problem with the intensity shuttle USB 3.0 and Mac High Sierra. I tried all of the approaches mentioned. Here is what finally worked for me: I downloaded the Desktop Video 10.9.7 version. (had tried 10.11 and 10.10). When I went through the installation for 10.9.7, a message came up that the shuttle itself needed to be updated. I had not received that message through the numerous times I tried to install 10.10 and 10.11. Once the update was completed (a minute or two) then, at least with 10.9.7, everything worked and all my software now recognized the shuttle. Hope this may help someone else

SusieQ

PostSat Sep 29, 2018 7:53 pm

I have the UltraStudio Mini Recorder and it won't be recognized on macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 on a MBP Retina 15-inch Mid 2014. I've tried the many fixes here (system integrity disabled, allow all apps to run) and installed and uninstalled practically every version. I haven't seen it at any point give me a prompt to 'allow' black magic design. Obviously an expensive device that I don't want to throw in the junk pile and have to switch to cables and adapters to try to get video from Canon HV20 DV to MBP (which some people say works and others say doesn't work). I originally bought the BM device when my old laptop stopped working and I lost the mini firewire connection on it to go directly to the camera. Frustrated, out of ideas, and don't want to have to spend more when I already spent a lot for this device. How do I make it work? Not really excited about going back to an old OS and losing the state of all my other apps either. HELP!!!

Drew Lahat

PostWed Nov 14, 2018 8:41 pm

Hi,
Looking into buying an old(er) used HD-SDI Decklink card for my home-edit High Sierra Mac. Are those issues still happening, or these are rare exceptions nowadays?
Are they linked to specific or older hardware? (Doesn't seem so.)

You'd think that by now the current drivers would be up-to-date and properly code-signed with Apple...

Jay Soriano

PostMon Oct 21, 2019 1:51 pm

Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt not being detected by Desktop video running High Sierra 10.13.6 on a MBP 2011. As others stated, it can be detected by my MacBook Pro system report. Device lights up inside. I went through the exact step below and allowed in System Preferences but still no detection. Reinstall, uninstall of different versions of Desktop Video.

"Once the system is fully up, go to the System Preferences▸Security & Privacy▸General and Allow the Blackmagic Design system software".

Any other suggestions? For those who have theirs working, what firmware version do you have for your Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt? Mine shows as firmware 5.2.
2015 15" Macbook Pro 2.5 GHz i7
macOS Mojave 10.14.6
AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2 GB
16GB RAM
FCPX/DaVinci Resolve Studio
Akitio Thunder2 Quad Mini
Envoy Pro EX

Xtreemtec

PostMon Oct 21, 2019 3:26 pm

You need to trigger a FW update. 5.2 is a very old firmware as it should be the same FW number as the software..

I only figured out how to do this under windows. I dont have MAC's ;)

But there is a tool under windows that is checking the Firmware of the devices and if out of sync of the software will prompt for a FW update.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Jay Soriano

PostMon Oct 21, 2019 6:30 pm

Thanks Daniel. Do you(or others as well please chime in) happen to know which Desktop Video versions have the firmware updates? I've read posts where it would ask to update the firmware. Wish there was an easy way to do this. Will check at work if our Mac mini with El Captian will see the card with Desktop Video. Thank you.
macOS Mojave 10.14.6
AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2 GB
16GB RAM
Envoy Pro EX

Xtreemtec

PostMon Oct 21, 2019 8:41 pm

Every version of desktop video Should trigger a FW update. As the hardware can not communicate with Desktop video if the FW is different. ;)

In windows there is a background tool keeping track of this.
Called: Blackmagic Software Updater & DesktopVideoUpdater

In windows they are also available in the folder were Desktop video is installed. But i don't know about mac.. The Only Apple i got is an iPhone. :lol:
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Jay Soriano

PostMon Oct 21, 2019 8:58 pm

Thank you again. Any Mac users care to reply on this firmware updates?
macOS Mojave 10.14.6
AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2 GB
16GB RAM
Envoy Pro EX

Jay Soriano

PostTue Oct 22, 2019 1:31 am

Just tested it on a Mac Mini with El Capitan OS with Desktop Video 10.9.5 and 10.8.1. Same result: able to be detected by Mac but not Desktop Video. What would be the best way to update the firmware on a Mac? Going through EVERY Desktop Video version is ridiculous.
macOS Mojave 10.14.6
AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2 GB
16GB RAM
Envoy Pro EX

Xtreemtec

PostTue Oct 22, 2019 9:05 am

It is not necesary to go trough all versions.

Just need to find the Updater and start it manually.

I'm not sure it works with Mac and were it leaves all program software and includes. Find that folder!!

Here is a screenshot of the same folder in Windows.

I think you need CheckVersionPCI.xxx to manual start a check. ;)
desktopvideo.png
desktopvideo.png (42.81 KiB) Viewed 9660 times

Jay Soriano

PostTue Oct 22, 2019 5:01 pm

Thank you Daniel. Unfortunately we don’t see this on Mac. Shouldn’t every version of Desktop Video prompt for a firmware update if needed for the device?...or only certain Desktop Video versions will prompt for a firmware update if needed? Also what firmware Do you currently have?
macOS Mojave 10.14.6
AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2 GB
16GB RAM
Envoy Pro EX

Xtreemtec

PostTue Oct 22, 2019 8:03 pm

It should always prompt for an update if you install a new version. the FW version in the card then will be the same as the version software you have running.

So Desktop Video 10.9.7 will also install FW 10.9.7 ;) But this updater is a separate piece of software.
Hope someone with MAC can step in. Because i have no clue why yours is not updating..

Ricardo19

PostThu Oct 24, 2019 5:15 pm

I think the problem is something between the Desktop Video version and the capability of the hardware firmware.

This is my case testing with 2 cards: DECKLINK 8K (PCIE) and MINIMONITOR (PCIE)

I installed Davinci Studio 16.1 with the latest desktop video (11.4.1) on OSX 10.13.6 (High Sierra)
Ask for reboot and update the firmware for my Decklink 8K (PCIe). Installed without problems and shut down. Then reboot and everything works fine: recognized on system and detected in Davinci.

The same day, I removed the DeckLink 8K and installed a Mini Monitor HD (PCIe). (Because I need the slot for a 10GBe NIC).
After booting, Desktop Video ask for update the firmware for the MiniMonitor. But it cannot be done. (there is a problem when the software tried to update the firmware)

Then uninstall the Desktop video, and install 11.1, 11.0, 10.11.4...
I tried different Desktop Video versions, and found that the 10.9.12 won't require to update the firmware.
So I test with 10.9.12 and everything works fine.
Last edited by Ricardo19 on Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jay Soriano

PostFri Nov 08, 2019 5:16 am

Thank you for Daniel, all for your help. I ended up shipping my Shuttle TB to Blackmagic and it was indeed a firmware upgrade they needed to do. Wish there was a way in MacOS to get access to these firmware instead of wasting 10 days shipping and receiving back from Blackmagic. All is well now with my Intensity Shuttle. Hoping it will be able to upgrade to future firmware updates.
macOS Mojave 10.14.6
AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2 GB
16GB RAM
Envoy Pro EX

c0ntact0

PostWed Nov 27, 2019 3:31 pm

NEVER TRY TO ALLOW THE DRIVERS FROM SCREEN SHARING, DOES NOT WORK!!!

Emanuel Batalha

PostFri Mar 20, 2020 8:23 pm

For anyone looking for the app that runs the Desktop Video Firmware Updater, as @Xtreemtec has mentioned but on Windows, it's located under /Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/Blackmagic DeckLink/Desktop Video Firmware Updater.app.

EDIT: I tried everything… deleted all the BM related files, disabled SIP which I hate and we should not disable it, installed a lot of different versions, tried to run all the apps and their UNIX executables from Terminal with and without sudo… NOTHING WORKS.
Emanuel Batalha
SP Televisão S.A.
Portugal

Joseph Villegas

PostSat Mar 21, 2020 1:27 am

My experience:

I did an upgrade to High Sierra from El Capitan (Desktop video 10.11.2)

Did a disk backup and a clean installation. Then the info was transferred with the migration assistant.

When I booted into the new High Sierra, the BMD hardware was not recognised.

Did the System Preferences -> Security and Privacy -> General procedure.

The system ask to reboot, I allowed it, but the system startup get progress bar stuck 100%...

What I did? a quick search and I finded this procedure

Boot and hold CMD-R to start up from macOS Recovery

If Filevault is on, mount the disk with Disk Utility and enter password
Enter these two commands in Terminal

cd /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/var/db/caches/opendirectory
mv ./mbr_cache ./mbr_cache-old

Exit from Terminal
Restart the computer

Emanuel Batalha

PostSat Mar 21, 2020 2:37 am

I need to add this:

- 2 iMacs 27-inch, late 2013 - equal machines and same macOS (High Sierra 10.13.6)
- both machines are connected through Thunderbolt to a Sonnet expansion box for fiber channel and BM I/O
- machine 1 has a BM Multibridge Pro Eclipse/DeckLink - this is the one that's failing
- machine 2 has a BM DeckLink HD Extreme 3D+ - this one worked as it should

Hope someone could help here, so anybody else going through this issue could easily find the answer here.
I'll also try to get some answers from the support.
Emanuel Batalha
SP Televisão S.A.
Portugal
Previous

Return to Live Production