FF middle or APS-C corner

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Tomek Pawlowicz

FF middle or APS-C corner

PostThu Jun 06, 2013 9:31 am

Hi guys.

I'm looking for 3 lenses for my future BMPC and when I read about x1.7 Crop factor of its sensor I startet to wonder about one thing.

Can I assume that ASC-P sensor corner sharpness (x1.6 crop factor) will be the same as the BMPC corner?

Or is it middle (not center) of FF?

Thanks
Tom
Last edited by Tomek Pawlowicz on Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---------------
Tomek Pawlowicz

Trevor Zuck

Re: FF middle or ASC-P corner

PostThu Jun 06, 2013 2:51 pm

Its APS-C... and the 4K is slightly smaller than it, so all lenses meant for APS-C sensors should technically be better on this sensor ad fear as sharpness goes.
- TZ

Visual FX and Post Production Artist
Screenscape Studios

Tomek Pawlowicz

Re: FF middle or ASC-P corner

PostThu Jun 06, 2013 2:59 pm

Oh. Its APS-C :-)

Do you thing that APS-C lenses like Sigma 30mm F1.4 will work for 4K?

Thanks TZuck.
---------------
Tomek Pawlowicz

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

Re: FF middle or APS-C corner

PostThu Jun 06, 2013 4:31 pm

The Sigma 30mm f1.4 lens is apparently compatible with the BMCC's current firmware, so there's a good chance it'll also work with BMD's new cameras, too:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4651

However, there's no guarantee. If you don't already own the lens, I'd recommend against buying expensive accessories for a camera you don't yet have in-hand. If you buy a lens after you already have the camera, if the lens isn't compatible you can return it to your dealer. Likewise, since there may or may not be a considerable wait getting one of the newer-model BMD cameras, you can avoid buying accessories now only to see them sitting on your shelf waiting for a camera.

-

Tomek Pawlowicz

PostThu Jun 06, 2013 6:16 pm

Hi Peter.

I'm not planning to buy any accesories unless I will be 100% sure, even so I'm making list of accesories that I will need.

I was just curious if BMPC sensor is somehow near to APS-C, because some of the lenses are designed especially for APS-C sensors.

Thanks for interest.
---------------
Tomek Pawlowicz

rick.lang

PostThu Jun 06, 2013 7:12 pm

Dumarrus wrote:Hi Peter.

I'm not planning to buy any accesories unless I will be 100% sure, even so I'm making list of accesories that I will need.

I was just curious if BMPC sensor is somehow near to APS-C, because some of the lenses are designed especially for APS-C sensors.

Thanks for interest.

I believe all EF and EF-S lenses will have an image circle larger than the BMPC4K sensor and be fine from that perspective. Since the mount is an active mount, we need to wait to see which lenses perform as desired, for example, include IS or IRIS control and so on. As you probably know, no BMD camera supports autofocus though.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography