MFT BMCC - Please Update Us

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Pete Proniewicz-Brooks

Re: MFT BMCC - Please Update Us

PostThu Jun 06, 2013 10:31 am

Fabián Matas wrote:
Fulgencio Martínez wrote:magically...
Blackmagic says MFT are ready

¿Where?

On my settings at least 2 pages ago Lam from BMD says they should be with people next week, and one page ago he says they are leaving the factory today.

Fabián Matas

PostThu Jun 06, 2013 10:50 am

Pete Proniewicz-Brooks wrote:
Fabián Matas wrote:
Fulgencio Martínez wrote:magically...
Blackmagic says MFT are ready

¿Where?

On my settings at least 2 pages ago Lam from BMD says they should be with people next week, and one page ago he says they are leaving the factory today.

Thanks men :D

Jules Bushell

PostThu Jun 06, 2013 2:45 pm

Wow, wow, wow. When you expect the worse, good news is so much sweeter!

But please BM, can we get a bit more cameras into Europe this time! Especially the UK.... especially CVP ;)

Jules
Jules Bushell
url: www.nonmultiplexcinema.com
url: www.filmmeansbusiness.com
url: www.blurtheline.co.uk

dallascurrie

John Bartman

PostThu Jun 06, 2013 3:52 pm

dallascurrie wrote:http://nofilmschool.com/2013/06/mft-blackmagic-cinema-camera-shipping-footage-pocket/

Probably unfair to judge from Vimeo, but to my eye the image coming out of the Pocket cam is far from what I am getting out of the BMCC, especially the filmic qualities and sharpness. To me the pockets image quality looks pretty much like an good DSLR video signal, albeit the addition of DR (?)

Compare it with this BMCC footage also by John
(view in HD)

rick.lang

PostThu Jun 06, 2013 5:52 pm

Fulgencio Martínez wrote:Anyway.. those who thought they might be building an active mount for months.. they were not! what were they doing? who knows!

I thought they might as that would clearly explain the 6 month delay in shipping the BMCC MFT. But I'm not disappointed or surprised that it is shipping today with the passive mount since I had long ago planned on using manual SLR Magic hyperprimes.

When BMD said they wanted to clear the preorders of BMCC EF, we knew it was going to be a long wait since the Europe region was only recently fulfilling June 2012 preorders. Now that it is shipping I think we also know what they meant by saying MFT would wait until they had made a significant dent in the preorder backlog. I preorder means you order the camera before it has been released. The EF was released in a very limited fashion in July. So technically we may have erred in calling any order received after that a preorder when it was simply a backlogged order.

I may be stretching this a bit too far to make sense of the timing of the BMCC MFT. And you may be right, the Magic Lantern raw hacks on Canon HDSLRS may have been the kick in the pants that ignited this quiet release of the BMCC MFT! Given the very fast T0.95 lenses that can be mounted on the BMCC MFT, and given the magic of the Metabones Speed Booster for mounting those slow Canon f/1.2 EF LENSES on the BMCC MFT, perhaps BMD wanted to put their best foot forward sooner than later to challenge the new threat from Magic Lantern on behalf of the HDSLR videographers before the very people they had targeted for their BMCC camera lost interest in BMD cameras.

I do tend to lean towards believing the BMCC MFT will be able to produce footage with much of the visual appeal of a full-frame HDSLR at a comparable cost while boasting their likely higher dynamic range. When the dust settles and we see the best footage from all cameras in the next couple of months, we shall see if BMD is right.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostThu Jun 06, 2013 5:57 pm

mhood wrote:
Huskie7 wrote:If the expected shipping date is based on rate of production, and they are trying to get the EF's out first (which seems right since they were promised first), then they might not have the answer right now.

A question I have is which was promised first; the BMCMFT or the BMPC and/or BM4K?

Looks like you have your answer to the question you imply. The BMCC MFT was promised for December 2012 well before the BMPCC and BMPC4K and it is shipping to the regional distributors as of today.

Rick Lang
Rick Lang

bhook

PostThu Jun 06, 2013 6:03 pm

rick.lang wrote:
mhood wrote:
Huskie7 wrote:If the expected shipping date is based on rate of production, and they are trying to get the EF's out first (which seems right since they were promised first), then they might not have the answer right now.

A question I have is which was promised first; the BMCMFT or the BMPC and/or BM4K?

Looks like you have your answer to the question you imply. The BMCC MFT was promised for December 2012 well before the BMPCC and BMPC4K and it is shipping to the regional distributors as of today.

Rick Lang

Now I have a new question. Remembering touting a handful of cameras to "prominent bloggers" as "shipping", I can't help but ask, "How many MFTs are shipping as of today"? And I fully realize that is a rhetorical question (whether I like it or not).

Christine Peterson

PostThu Jun 06, 2013 6:29 pm

mhood wrote:Now I have a new question. Remembering touting a handful of cameras to "prominent bloggers" as "shipping", I can't help but ask, "How many MFTs are shipping as of today"? And I fully realize that is a rhetorical question (whether I like it or not).

Can't share exact numbers, but these cameras are headed to customers.
Christine Peterson

(Previously Community Relations Manager for Blackmagic Design)

John Bartman

PostThu Jun 06, 2013 6:35 pm

bhook

PostThu Jun 06, 2013 6:54 pm

Is the shipping crate bigger than a breadbox? Smaller than a steam locomotive? :lol:

rick.lang

PostThu Jun 06, 2013 7:07 pm

mhood wrote:Is the shipping crate bigger than a breadbox? Smaller than a steam locomotive? :lol:

I like John's answer: a handful!

Rick Lang
Rick Lang

Johannes Leistner

PostThu Jun 06, 2013 10:07 pm

Dear Christine,

Will there ever be an active mount MFT cinema camera (not the pocket)?
Would be great to know..

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jun 06, 2013 10:53 pm

mhood wrote:Now I have a new question. Remembering touting a handful of cameras to "prominent bloggers" as "shipping", I can't help but ask, "How many MFTs are shipping as of today"? And I fully realize that is a rhetorical question (whether I like it or not).

Hi, while we don't reveal shipping quantities, I can tell you that these cameras are indeed going to customers who have ordered the cameras.

sean mclennan

PostFri Jun 07, 2013 1:54 am

^^^ Pandora's box....opened

Joseph Ciccarella

PostFri Jun 07, 2013 4:20 am

Kristian Lam wrote:

Hi, while we don't reveal shipping quantities, I can tell you that these cameras are indeed going to customers who have ordered the cameras.

Hi Kristian, Thanks for the great news! I know for a lot of us waiting (and some of us who bit the bullet and bought an EF) it's great to finally get some positive information from the home base. Do you think, since it's been so long since the last official update was made, that Grant will post an announcement of this news, like he used to on this forum. Just to maybe say thank you for everyones patience and for sticking with the company through this period of uncertain growth. I feel like a nice word from Mr. Petty would make it official. Not that your words aren't more than good enough for those on this thread. ;)
Joseph Ciccarella
www.quietallaround.com

Taikonaut

PostFri Jun 07, 2013 6:10 am

rick.lang wrote:I do tend to lean towards believing the BMCC MFT will be able to produce footage with much of the visual appeal of a full-frame HDSLR at a comparable cost while boasting their likely higher dynamic range. When the dust settles and we see the best footage from all cameras in the next couple of months, we shall see if BMD is right.

Rick Lang

There is a huge different between the sensor size of a BMCC and a FF dSLR. Even with a Speedbooster you are looking at 1.7x crop. With the many videos around of the respective cameras RAW the DR isnt all that clear cut between the two. Highlight for the BMCC and shadow for the 5D Raw. I would even but the 5D DR slightly ahead at native ISO 100 from the samples out there.

Robert Bentley

PostFri Jun 07, 2013 4:57 pm

Can you confirm, is the 4k camera on schedule for a release at the end of July? When will we see some footage? I have the money to buy one but need more certainty because I have projects to shoot. Thanks for any update.

John Bartman

PostFri Jun 07, 2013 5:09 pm

Robert Bentley wrote:Can you confirm, is the 4k camera on schedule for a release at the end of July? When will we see some footage? I have the money to buy one but need more certainty because I have projects to shoot. Thanks for any update.

Robert, maybe you should start a new thread for the 4k?

rick.lang

PostFri Jun 07, 2013 5:24 pm

Taikonaut wrote:
rick.lang wrote:I do tend to lean towards believing the BMCC MFT will be able to produce footage with much of the visual appeal of a full-frame HDSLR at a comparable cost while boasting their likely higher dynamic range. When the dust settles and we see the best footage from all cameras in the next couple of months, we shall see if BMD is right.

Rick Lang

There is a huge different between the sensor size of a BMCC and a FF dSLR. Even with a Speedbooster you are looking at 1.7x crop. With the many videos around of the respective cameras RAW the DR isnt all that clear cut between the two. Highlight for the BMCC and shadow for the 5D Raw. I would even but the 5D DR slightly ahead at native ISO 100 from the samples out there.

You are correct. I should have compared the visual look of the BMCC MFT to the BMPC4K! Either using the Metabones Speed Booster or using those very fast T0.95 lenses was what I was thinking would help compensate for the smaller sensor.

Rick Lang
Rick Lang

javierdpvelez

PostFri Jun 07, 2013 6:51 pm

rick.lang wrote:
Taikonaut wrote:

Rick Lang

You are correct. I should have compared the visual look of the BMCC MFT to the BMPC4K! Either using the Metabones Speed Booster or using those very fast T0.95 lenses was what I was thinking would help compensate for the smaller sensor.

Rick Lang

Except there is no way to connect those SLR Magic or Voigts to a Speebooster.... at least not one that I know of. I wish.

JB Schiess

PostFri Jun 07, 2013 8:00 pm

rick.lang wrote:
Taikonaut wrote:

Rick Lang

Rick Lang

Except there is no way to connect those SLR Magic or Voigts to a Speebooster.... at least not one that I know of. I wish.[/quote]

yeah, no way. however, the speed booster option exists for other lenses. I have the 12mm 1.6 as well as a set of the rokinon cine primes. I'd like to be able to use the speed booster on the rokinons and also acquire some of the other slr magic lenses. Who knows when that EF m43 speed booster will be out. The saying "On our roadmap" doesn't exactly inspire a whole heap of confidence.

DaleCampbellFilms

PostFri Jun 07, 2013 9:55 pm

The other issue is there is a limit to the boost it can apply - with native m4/3 glass you may have noticed the lens is a lot smaller even on lenses with very wide apertures it is desgined to focus light on a smaller sensor so you're already getting everything it is giving.
On the other hand with canon ef mount lenses you aren't 'using all the glass' the speed booster takes the light from the entire lens and focuses onto the smaller sensor, there by focusing 'more' light compared to the same lens without.

Also I believe it can boost an f1.2 to around f.90 but cannot boost a f0.95 (there are a few ff) to some crazy f.6 or something.
http://www.dalecampbelldop.com

rick.lang

PostSat Jun 08, 2013 4:07 am

javierdpvelez wrote:
rick.lang wrote:
Taikonaut wrote:[quote="rick.lang"]
I do tend to lean towards believing the BMCC MFT will be able to produce footage with much of the visual appeal of a full-frame HDSLR at a comparable cost while boasting their likely higher dynamic range. When the dust settles and we see the best footage from all cameras in the next couple of months, we shall see if BMD is right.

Rick Lang

Rick Lang

Except there is no way to connect those SLR Magic or Voigts to a Speebooster.... at least not one that I know of. I wish.[/quote]

Javier, I did say "either... or" meaning one or the other, not meaning the speed booster on the hyperprimes but on those EF lenses one might mount to the BMCC MFT of course!

Rick Lang
Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostSat Jun 08, 2013 4:20 am

DaleCampbellFilms wrote:Also I believe it can boost an f1.2 to around f.90 but cannot boost a f0.95 (there are a few ff) to some crazy f.6 or something.

Dale, that's correct, it will boost EF (not EF-S) lenses with apertures up to f/1.2 one stop on the BMCC MFT which does make it as fast or faster than those SLR Magic and Voitländer 0.95s

Rick Lang
Rick Lang
Previous

Return to Cinematography