Recommendation for a PSU to power BMPCC 4K

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

tillkrueger

Recommendation for a PSU to power BMPCC 4K

PostMon Oct 21, 2019 4:31 am

After reading through various posts discussing input voltage and different batteries to
power the BMPCC 4K, I am still unsure about what to get to power it with a regular power supply.

I use my P4K mostly for timelapsing, and am currently on Kauai at a house where I set it up near an outlet.
I had been using my Anker powerbank that I often use in the field to power my P4K via a dummy battery, but this trusty powerbank has recently taken some water damage, and since i can’t get another big powerbank shipped to Kauai...Amazon doesn’t ship lithium batteries of that size (50,000mAh) to Kauai, and even if I found someone who does, like via eBay, i couldn’t legally take it on an airplane with me when i return to Germany.

So I now need a proper PSU that can power my cam directly, but am unsure what to look for. 12-20V seems to be what’s necessary, but at what amperage? How many watts am I looking for, ideally, and will any 12V 2A PSU for $10 do, or does this require something more substantial/expensive, to hold me over until I’m back in Germany and can order another big external battery?

Would anyone be kind enough to link to an inexpensive PSU on Amazon that will do the trick?

John Morris

Re: Recommendation for a PSU to power BMPCC 4K

PostMon Oct 21, 2019 6:22 am

The power supply that comes with the camera is 12V 2.5A, so at least that. It sounds like you are proposing to use a mains PSU, any reason you cant use the original PSU?

tillkrueger

PostMon Oct 21, 2019 6:58 pm

Oh, I must have forgotten to pack that original PSU then, or I forgot that there was one that came with it.

Excuse my naiveté, but what's the difference between the original PSU and a "mains PSU". Is there something to look out for when I order one from Amazon?

Would this one be ok to use?

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-100-240V ... 263&sr=8-4

John Morris

PostThu Oct 24, 2019 12:14 pm

tillkrueger wrote:Oh, I must have forgotten to pack that original PSU then, or I forgot that there was one that came with it.

Excuse my naiveté, but what's the difference between the original PSU and a "mains PSU". Is there something to look out for when I order one from Amazon?

Would this one be ok to use?

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-100-240V ... 263&sr=8-4

The original PSU that comes with the camera has a special connector that connects to the camera. If you use any other power supply, you will need an adapter like the official ones from BMD Image or one like this from amazon https://www.amazon.com/Extension-5-5X2-5mm-Female-BMPCC4K-Blackmagic/dp/B07MCLJCCT

tillkrueger

PostThu Oct 24, 2019 7:26 pm

Thanks, and I did get an appropriate adapter cable.
It baffles me that I can't remember the original PSU that came with the camera. Wonder where I put it.

Be that as it may, what's the "ideal" voltage and amperage if I do have to get another one, and where would I buy the original one, if I did indeed misplace or lose it?

Denny Smith

PostThu Oct 24, 2019 8:42 pm

Look in the box your ca era came in. I had this problem and that is where I found mine. ;)
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

tillkrueger

PostThu Oct 24, 2019 9:09 pm

I wish it were that simple...the box is in San Francisco (and *definitely* empty) while I am on Kauai, traveling back to Germany via Los Angeles (and not San Francisco.

The original PSU is most likely at my place in Berlin, but I won't be there either for months, so I'll have to either re-order the original PSU (if it isn't too expensive) or get a less expensive 12V PSU that'll do the trick.

I did order this one in hope that it'll power my PC4K safely...will it? (I have the adapter to fit the small power plug on my cam and the other end to fit this PSU's plug):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073W ... prod_image

John Morris

PostFri Oct 25, 2019 4:51 am

Looks like it should work fine. 3Amps should be enough to power the camera, most attachments and charge the battery.

tillkrueger

PostFri Oct 25, 2019 6:28 am

Ok thanks. I almost ordered the 5A model of this, but was worried that it might have been too much wattage. Would it have been, or does the camera only pull as much as it needs, so that there is no danger when connecting a 60W (or more) PSU?

John Morris

PostFri Oct 25, 2019 8:23 am

Yes, the 5A PSU would be fine, but probably bigger/heavier than you need if its just powering the camera.

Return to Cinematography