Firmware 6.6 BMPC4K BMPCC6K Feedback

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

rancop

Re: Firmware 6.6 BMPC4K BMPCC6K Feedback

PostFri Oct 25, 2019 4:15 pm

after the 6.6 update I got a weird problem powering with the lp-e6 battery,

1. The camera only turns on when I plug the AC cable, turn on the camera and then disconnect the cable.

2. If I turn off the camera and immediately turn on is no problem, but if I wait let's say 2 minutes and try it to turn on the power led blink red twice and nothing.

rick.lang

PostFri Oct 25, 2019 4:19 pm

Had my BMPCC4K turned off for over half an hour with only the internal genuine battery. Powered on without issue as it should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostFri Oct 25, 2019 6:00 pm

Quick comparison of the BMPPC4K windows available including 1.33x anamorphic with firmware 6.6. The SLR Magic 1.33x-65 Anamorphot adapter was mounted on the SLR Magic 32mm APO T2.1. Recorded in BRAW Q0. There are recommendations for best practices in the use of the new 2.8K and 2.6K windows.

The music is a loop from a music video, recorded in 32bit audio on the new MixPre-6 II using the new Line Audio Design dual CM-4 mics. My first use of these products.
Rick Lang

dondidnod

PostSat Oct 26, 2019 9:51 am

That's nice combination of lens and adapter, clean and hella sharp.
Thanks for posting.

IsseSwe

PostSat Oct 26, 2019 10:44 am

rick.lang wrote:Quick comparison of the BMPPC4K windows available including 1.33x anamorphic with firmware 6.6.

For a newbie like myself this was really helpfull, thanks Rick!
1 x ATEM Constallation 2ME | 2 x Hyperdeck Mini HD | 1 x Multidock 10G | 1 x Video Hub 40 | 1 x Multiview 16 | 1 x Web Presenter HD | 3 x Ursa Broadcast

rick.lang

PostSat Oct 26, 2019 11:58 am

@IsseSwe
Good to hear. If there’s any questions you have, just let us know, Istvan.

Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostSat Oct 26, 2019 12:02 pm

Appreciate those comments, Don! SLR Magic’s a great match to Blackmagic Design’s sensibilities.

Rick Lang

Black Winter

PostSat Oct 26, 2019 12:52 pm

The update process ran smoothly this time, took a couple of minutes. I used a USB-C cable and USB 2.0 port, after reading the comments here.
The horizon, battery voltage and 8x zoom functions are much appreciated. I was puzzled about the pinch technique, too. Struggling about half an hour trying to pinch the screen inward and wondering if it fails due to my nail length, before it struck me why not try pinching outward :) I suggest adding the "outward" comment to the user manual.
The anamorphic mode works great, which it essential for me, and higher frame rates are a nice surprise. Thank you very much for that!

xchrisx

PostSat Oct 26, 2019 3:05 pm

Is the preview stills in camera function finally added?

Aaron Green

PostSat Oct 26, 2019 3:43 pm

rancop wrote:after the 6.6 update I got a weird problem powering with the lp-e6 battery,

1. The camera only turns on when I plug the AC cable, turn on the camera and then disconnect the cable.

2. If I turn off the camera and immediately turn on is no problem, but if I wait let's say 2 minutes and try it to turn on the power led blink red twice and nothing.

Definitely some funky stuff going on with battery voltage. Scary.

trflux

PostSat Oct 26, 2019 4:42 pm

I ran the update on my bmpcc4k connected to mains. Got stuck at 70%. White LED has been flashing for over 30 minutes now.
Can i just unpower and try again? 30 minutes seems very long for an update.

Thanks for your help

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

trflux

PostSat Oct 26, 2019 4:51 pm

I ran the update from my windows pc vis usb-c- to usb-c cable. Camera connected to mains.
AT 70% it stopped. Since then White LED has been flashing.
That's for over 40 minutes now. That seems extremely long
Cany I safely unplug the cam and try it again or will I brick my cam? Or is it already bricked?

Thanks for your answers

Ashcam

PostSat Oct 26, 2019 9:16 pm

Just a question and thought, with the USB control being made active for gimbals, what will be the smart solution to running gimbal control and an external usb c ssd drive? There's only one usb c output on the camera?

Yannick Willox

PostSat Oct 26, 2019 9:41 pm

Great update, but the crosshairs for levelling are not accurate enough where it counts, ie between 0 and 2 degrees tilt. Maybe they should almost disappear when the camera is really level (horizontally) ?
Or, as mentioned above, change color.

Imagine the camera on a 2m high tripod, looking up at the non tiltable screen, how are we going to see if the horizon is 1 degree off ?

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Oct 26, 2019 10:40 pm

Yannick Willox wrote:Great update, but the crosshairs for levelling are not accurate enough where it counts, ie between 0 and 2 degrees tilt. Maybe they should almost disappear when the camera is really level (horizontally) ?
Or, as mentioned above, change color.

Imagine the camera on a 2m high tripod, looking up at the non tiltable screen, how are we going to see if the horizon is 1 degree off ?

Did you run the motion sensor calibration in the SETUP screen?

rick.lang

PostSat Oct 26, 2019 11:22 pm

Yannick, I think the crosshairs can be active so hope that might also help get the alignment you want. I just use the level now though so can’t verify at the moment.

Rick Lang

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostSun Oct 27, 2019 6:49 am

Ashcam wrote:Just a question and thought, with the USB control being made active for gimbals, what will be the smart solution to running gimbal control and an external usb c ssd drive? There's only one usb c output on the camera?

You will have to pick one or the other.

Yannick Willox

PostSun Oct 27, 2019 7:28 am

After calibration, the crosshairs DO become active. The lines change color when level !
Now that was a surprise.

Thanks BMD.

rick.lang

PostSun Oct 27, 2019 5:49 pm

Yannick, I discovered that after calibrating this morning. Nice blue at level horizon. But I see the horizon versus crosshair and dot are mutually exclusive. Not a problem, just I wasn’t aware as I’ve left the horizon control On once I selected it.

Rick Lang

Olivier Chira

PostSun Oct 27, 2019 6:30 pm

Has anyone tried to roll back from firmware 6.6 to 6.1 to get back dngs ? Is it possible ? I know it was with the previous ones, but you never know...

ricardo marty

PostSun Oct 27, 2019 10:37 pm

Kristian Lam wrote:
Ashcam wrote:Just a question and thought, with the USB control being made active for gimbals, what will be the smart solution to running gimbal control and an external usb c ssd drive? There's only one usb c output on the camera?

You will have to pick one or the other.

In the USB control can you replicate the same functions as with the Bluetooth app?

Ricardo Marty
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostSun Oct 27, 2019 11:28 pm

trflux wrote:I ran the update from my windows pc vis usb-c- to usb-c cable. Camera connected to mains.
AT 70% it stopped. Since then White LED has been flashing.
That's for over 40 minutes now. That seems extremely long
Cany I safely unplug the cam and try it again or will I brick my cam? Or is it already bricked?

Thanks for your answers

Power down the camera by removing both battery and AC.

Connect only AC and power up the camera while holding on to the focus button. The camera will start up with a blank screen but you will feel the airflow from the fan.

At this stage, connect camera to your computer and try the updater again.

Aleksandr Belov

PostMon Oct 28, 2019 7:01 am

Olivier Chira wrote:Has anyone tried to roll back from firmware 6.6 to 6.1 to get back dngs ? Is it possible ? I know it was with the previous ones, but you never know...

I updated to 6.6 and back to 6.1 without any problems.

Olivier Chira

PostMon Oct 28, 2019 4:32 pm

Aleksandr Belov wrote:
Olivier Chira wrote:Has anyone tried to roll back from firmware 6.6 to 6.1 to get back dngs ? Is it possible ? I know it was with the previous ones, but you never know...

I updated to 6.6 and back to 6.1 without any problems.

Great news ! Thanks !!!

Denny Smith

PostFri Nov 01, 2019 1:40 am

Going back to FW ver 6.1 only works to get CDNG on the ver 1 Cameras that came with 6.1 (original released cameras that came with CDNG before BRaw). Cameras released since BRaw was added to the Pocket 4K can not be rolled back to 6.1, onlymto,thenFW version they were released with.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Denny Smith

PostFri Nov 01, 2019 1:45 am

Aaron Green wrote:
Denny Smith wrote:Yes, you toggle the battery voltage/ percentage display by taping the battery icon.
Cheers

Not on mine. Tapping it toggles between voltage and blank space.

What battery are you using, this only works with batteries is that support this. The BMD supplied battery does not.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Denny Smith

PostFri Nov 01, 2019 1:47 am

xchrisx wrote:Is the preview stills in camera function finally added?

No it has not. This probably not an option that can be added due to hardware limitations/issues. ;)
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Playmakerstudios

PostFri Nov 01, 2019 11:26 pm

Denny Smith wrote:
Aaron Green wrote:
Denny Smith wrote:Yes, you toggle the battery voltage/ percentage display by taping the battery icon.
Cheers

Not on mine. Tapping it toggles between voltage and blank space.

What battery are you using, this only works with batteries is that support this. The BMD supplied battery does not.
Cheers

All of my batteries before the update did, BM supplied or otherwise. It is the only reason I noticed it is not there now.

Tom Roper

PostSat Nov 02, 2019 6:03 pm

Great Job BMD Team!

mcglynnj

PostSun Nov 03, 2019 11:17 am

I welcome the 6.6 update. I have found the horizon meter very helpful and it's much more practical than a static dot or crosshair. At least I don't have to worry as to whether my camera is level with the ground or not because now there is now clear indication.

Personally, I still long for the capability of remotely triggering the stills function over Bluetooth which can mitigate shaking/disturbing/jostling when having to handle the device physically. I do still wish that it would be considered for an official-but-discrete remote control to complement the exisiting Bluetooth features as I have had occasions that neither mobile or tablet wass feasible. Right now, I think looking at how GoPro goes about their remote controls should be a great starting point.

That said, welcoming forward steps have been made.

Maxikingone

PostMon Nov 04, 2019 1:52 pm

storage issue

I updated my bmpcc4k to 6.6 successfully.
Everything works fine, except loading a storage. It does not matter if i use a sandisk SD oder Samsung T5 SSD. After turning the camera on it takes 2 seconds to load the storage with version 6.2 (T5 with 100GB of footage on it). With version 6.6 it takes 40 seconds after starting the camera until I can start recording (same T5 with same 100GB of footage on it). The more space is used on the SD oder SSD, the longer the camera takes until it is ready to shoot after turning it on. I have downgraded and updated again, formated the drives, tested different settings, but it stays the same. Switching a battery while shooting a wedding and waiting a minute is no option to me.
Viewing the recorded shots in camera is much slower, too. While switching from clip to clip, it takes 2 seconds until the next thumbnail is loaded.
It seems like I am the only one with this issue.
I work with 6.2 now until there is a bugfix for this. :roll:

kevin_p

PostMon Nov 04, 2019 8:05 pm

@Maxikingone I have the same issue.

Sam King

PostTue Nov 05, 2019 2:38 am

Maxikingone wrote:storage issue

Everything works fine, except loading a storage. It does not matter if i use a sandisk SD oder Samsung T5 SSD. After turning the camera on it takes 2 seconds to load the storage with version 6.2 (T5 with 100GB of footage on it). With version 6.6 it takes 40 seconds after starting the camera until I can start recording (same T5 with same 100GB of footage on it). The more space is used on the SD oder SSD, the longer the camera takes until it is ready to shoot after turning it on. I have downgraded and updated again, formated the drives, tested different settings, but it stays the same. Switching a battery while shooting a wedding and waiting a minute is no option to me.
Viewing the recorded shots in camera is much slower, too. While switching from clip to clip, it takes 2 seconds until the next thumbnail is loaded.

I shot a wedding on the weekend and had no issues with starting up the camera or playing back media, recorded to a 500gb t5, the update has behaved just like the previous versions. Maybe there is an issue with your media?

What batteries were you using? Canon? Vmount? 3rd party? I was using a vmount into the dc plug and again had no issues

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Nov 05, 2019 4:25 am

Does this happen with media that is formatted on 6.6?

Did you log a support ticket about this?

Fabián Aguirre

PostTue Nov 05, 2019 7:09 am

Kristian Lam wrote:

Kristian,

We have two pockets 4K and the same happens for us on both. It has not been a huge issue, other than we almost always run with a large Cfast and SD card on each camera. The Cfast always takes longer to mount, and both take longer the more clips each card has recorded. This causes me to record onto the SD card when I turn on the camera and I start recording before realizing that the Cfast has not loaded (I shoot a lot of documentary content, so it happens a lot). A minor inconvenience since I end up with footage spread across both cards. The same is true during playback-- it's definitely slower.

Hopefully it can be fixed in the next update.

Other than that, we absolutely love the 6.6 update, especially the embed lut function for Blackmagic Raw.

Cheers
Fabián Aguirre
Cinematographer / Steadicam Operator
www.theunderstory.co

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Nov 05, 2019 7:13 am

Fabián Aguirre wrote:Kristian,

We have two pockets 4K and the same happens for us on both. It has not been a huge issue, other than we almost always run with a large Cfast and SD card on each camera. The Cfast always takes longer to mount, and both take longer the more clips each card has recorded. This causes me to record onto the SD card when I turn on the camera and I start recording before realizing that the Cfast has not loaded (I shoot a lot of documentary content, so it happens a lot). A minor inconvenience since I end up with footage spread across both cards. The same is true during playback-- it's definitely slower.

Hopefully it can be fixed in the next update.

Other than that, we absolutely love the 6.6 update, especially the embed lut function for Blackmagic Raw.

Cheers

Are the CFast formatted on cameras previously running 6.2? Or is this still happening with fresh media that is formated on 6.6?

Fabián Aguirre

PostTue Nov 05, 2019 7:44 am

Kristian Lam wrote:
Are the CFast formatted on cameras previously running 6.2? Or is this still happening with fresh media that is formated on 6.6?

We always format our cards right before each shoot, so these were all formatted in-camera using firmware 6.6
Fabián Aguirre
Cinematographer / Steadicam Operator
www.theunderstory.co

Maxikingone

PostTue Nov 05, 2019 8:43 am

Kristian Lam wrote:

Thanks for all your replies.
Good to hear, that I am not the only one with this annoying issue.
This makes it more likely that the problem will be solved by BMD.

It doesn't matter if LPE6, Dummybattery or without battery and original charging cable.
I formatted on 6.6 and on 6.2. Both works on 6.2 but not on 6.6. Footage recorded on 6.6 loads super slow on 6.6 but fast on 6.2.

I contacted the support via mail.
I am just interested if anybody else has this issue and if there is a solution for it.

carlomacchiavello

PostTue Nov 05, 2019 12:42 pm

Sam King wrote:
dondidnod wrote:I tried to update the firmware on my BMPCC 4K on 3 different Windows 10 laptops from 2014, 2015 and 2016 with USB 3.0 ports. They wouldn't see the camera on any of their ports.

I dusted off a 2005 Windows XP laptop and although it would recognize the camera, the program wouldn't run.

Is there any way to get a modern Windows computer that does not have a USB port that has been obsolete since 2008 to see a BMPCC 4K camera?

I had to use 2 different USB 3 ports before the camera was recognised, I also turned it off and on again between USB plugs

Have you tried with different usbc cable?
I often found problems with cable.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Philippe Metro

PostTue Nov 05, 2019 3:22 pm

I just updated my pocket 4K with the new firmware and, after playing around for a few minutes, the lens (Olympus 12-40) became unresponsive.
Turned the camera off and on again, played around and it happened again.. four times.

I didn't take the time to try with other lenses, reverted to 6.3.
So far so good.

Yannick Willox

PostTue Nov 05, 2019 6:54 pm

I can confirm my old panaleica 43 14-50 mm lens now can autofocus, but often loses control. The old panaleica 43 14-150 mm works much worse with the newest firmware.

The 14-150 was very usable, now it is often lost when pushing the autofocus button. Waiting 10-20 seconds regains MF control.

AF wise, I prefer the previous firmware. Don’t know what was changed for the better.

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Nov 05, 2019 11:07 pm

Fabián Aguirre wrote:
Kristian Lam wrote:

We always format our cards right before each shoot, so these were all formatted in-camera using firmware 6.6

What make model capacity is your CFast 2.0 media exhibiting this issue?

Denny Smith

PostWed Nov 06, 2019 2:51 am

Yannick, what 4/3rds adapter are you using 14-50? I have the same lens, PL 14-30 f/2.8-3.5 Zoom lens and tested the new FW 6.6 with it and the PL 4/3, 25mm D lens, both are better with 6.6. I am using the Panasonic 4/3 (FT) to MFT auto adapter, no issues. I tested the lens with both beta versions of 6.6, with an improved performance on the newer version. I tested iris, manual and AF features on the older Four Thirds (4/3) lenses and compared them to the newer PL 12-60 zoom, and PL Primes. The slowest focusing one of the lot, was the PL 25mm MFT DG lens, the original FT D version was quieter and smoother on AF.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

jack0429

PostWed Nov 06, 2019 8:01 am

EXACT SAME ISSUE!!! Both my sandisk 170mb/s sd card and samsung t5 1tb ssd takes triple the time to be reconized on the firmware 6.6 compared to firmware 6.2, big issue for me, since when shooting with the firmware 6.6 it often takes over 3 minutes for the media to be reconized. So I would often drain the battery extremely quickly, and would often miss the moment that I was trying to capture. I also rolled back to firmware 6.2, hopefully blackmagic would fix this soon.

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Nov 08, 2019 1:00 am

Fabián Aguirre wrote:
Kristian Lam wrote:

Thanks. I think we have narrowed down the cause of this issue.

Chris_T-Bay

PostFri Nov 08, 2019 11:48 pm

Maybe I am now able to use my Metabones BMPCC 0.58x Speedbooster (I actually bought for my BMMCC) again proberly with the new resolutions. With the full sensor I had a black vignette and in HD window mode it was too cropped.

EDIT: Yay it works. With the 2,6k mode I can reduce the crop factor of my APS-C lens to a minimum using my good old speedbooster, even with AF and 120fps. Of course it's not 4k, but enough for me without buying a new speedbooster. Great for wide shots. Thanks Blackmagic.
Last edited by Chris_T-Bay on Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pnguyen720

PostSat Nov 09, 2019 1:14 am

Kristian Lam wrote:
Fabián Aguirre wrote:
Kristian Lam wrote:

This sounds like confirmation of an issue with 6.6?

Yannick Willox

PostSat Nov 09, 2019 8:26 am

Denny Smith wrote:Yannick, what 4/3rds adapter are you using 14-50? I have the same lens, PL 14-30 f/2.8-3.5 Zoom lens and tested the new FW 6.6 with it and the PL 4/3, 25mm D lens, both are better with 6.6. I am using the Panasonic 4/3 (FT) to MFT auto adapter, no issues. I tested the lens with both beta versions of 6.6, with an improved performance on the newer version. I tested iris, manual and AF features on the older Four Thirds (4/3) lenses and compared them to the newer PL 12-60 zoom, and PL Primes. The slowest focusing one of the lot, was the PL 25mm MFT DG lens, the original FT D version was quieter and smoother on AF.
Cheers

I use the same Panasonic adapter. It works perfectly on my GX80, with those lenses.
the FT 14-50 2.5-3.5 indeed focusses with fw6.6 (before not at all), but it gets off focus often, and often it focusses towards macro, even when it hit focus near infinity briefly. Then it sits there waiting, blurry, but manual focus does work quickly. I get this behaviour when focus is more towards infinity than it should be. If the lens has to focus from near to far, it locks on much better.

the FT 14-150 f3.5-5.6 worked very well on the previous fw, now it still focusses decently, but I completely loose manual control after pressing AF. So, when it does miss AF, I cannot correct manually and have to power down the camera. So this is far worse performance, and makes AF unuseable on a shoot.

I just wish a new firmware could block the AF button, and AE as well. Reassigning would be even better. They lie so conviently under the thumb. When I feel in the dark for the magnification button, I sometimes hit AF (they are both second from the top !!!). With the 14-150m I am then stuck ...

Robert Niessner

PostSat Nov 09, 2019 8:54 am

Ah, yes the AE button. I hate it with all my love. Countless times I have accidentally hit it, especially when holding the camera in an awkward position and it ruined the shot.
I really wish there is an update with the ability to disable or remap it.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

SantenPlu

PostSun Nov 10, 2019 8:50 pm

Kristian Lam wrote:
Fabián Aguirre wrote:
Kristian Lam wrote:

Same problem here. Sandisk SD 128mb Extreme Pro needs 2-3min. to mount!
This can really ruin some shots in live scenarios or similar. You should warn other users.

Should we wait for an update or downgrade?
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography