Zoom Source View feature

• Author

Jacob Nielsen

Zoom Source View feature

PostTue Oct 29, 2019 7:31 am

I really miss to be able to zoom the source viewer window as in Premiere. I'm exhausted by Premiere's sluggish interface and am just dreaming of switching to Davinci - BUT - in this area Premiere excels!

I'm mostly editing concerts and opera with some clips lasting over an hour and finding edit points the source viewer is extremely difficult when not being able to zoom into the source clip. I know I can switch to the audio view and have the ability to change the zoom factor (5x, 10x etc) and just relying on the audio waveform for finding the edits, but I mostly need visual references. It would be much more handy to have the +/- zoom buttons (also available in the timeline) - or even better - some sliders (as in Premiere) to quickly zoom into the source. Eventually I may even even choose to switch to Premiere just to have this functionality and do my concert edits!

Moreover I find it's tricky to Shift-click either in or out point to roll the entire source selection. It's a feature which is hidden and not intuitive at all. In Premiere the middle area of the selector works as a handle for rolling the in-out portion.

Please consider to implement this Source Zoom feature in future updates.

Jacob

Jim Simon

Re: Zoom Source View feature

PostTue Oct 29, 2019 3:32 pm

In case anyone is confused, yes we can Zoom in on the image in the Source Viewer. Here, we're looking for the ability to Zoom into the "timeline" for both Source and Timeline Viewers. Currently we're limited to seeing the entire "timeline" under the viewer, and that can be problematic on occasion.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

John Paines

PostTue Oct 29, 2019 10:00 pm

This one has been requested, since the beginning. It would be welcome even for audio waveforms -- it's much easier zooming elastically, then selecting a 5x or 10x scale.

Ideally, the same zoom short cuts would work in both timeline and source viewer.

DirectedByMarvin

PostThu Mar 26, 2020 10:24 pm

Would like to follow up on this.
Has this been addressed?

I don't see any reasoning why this feature should not be implemented.
I'm in the same boat. I'm editing a Doc and some of the interviews are 2-3h long and it is extremely time consuming to find the right moments which made me switch back to Premiere for this project.
It's a shame as it's so simple and apperently being ignored for quite a while.
Davinci Resolve 18.6
Apple M1 Max 10-core CPU, 32-core GPU, 16-core Neural Engine // 64GB RAM //
Ultra Studio 4K Mini // LG CX55 OLED // ASUS ProArt 32UCX

huskyandthehound

PostThu Nov 05, 2020 4:47 pm

I can confirm that I have had to switch to Premiere for a project, purely because this feature doesn't exist, and that I would VERY much like to have it. It is annoying to deal with an hour and a half of audio and not be able to zoom into it to cut and find precise in an out points to bring into the timeline.

Mark Grgurev

PostFri Nov 06, 2020 5:51 am

+1

Sascha Engel

PostSun Apr 04, 2021 9:58 am

Hi Everybody,

Has this issue been addressed in the meanwhile?
Specially, when you are having a long clip with many Markers, it is a nightmare without.

Best,

Sascha Engel
KINO KITCHEN

tevryan

PostTue Sep 14, 2021 6:36 am

+1 to this
We need better ability to drag-select sections of audio from the waveform (set in out points) in the media viewer on the edit page to insert in timeline. The ability to zoom (stretch/squeeze) the waveforms. Ability to scrub audio (or video) with the scroll wheel (or two finger track pad). Maybe with a hot key.

Better multi-touch (track pad) controls in general: eg: pinch zoom in timeline, viewer, etc.

user_011235813

PostSat Jan 28, 2023 2:05 pm

+1

tevryan

PostSun Mar 19, 2023 2:06 am

Why do we still not have this??? Seems so basic and so essential.

Lucas87

PostTue Jun 06, 2023 3:14 pm

And they call it an NLE... +1

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests