UltraStudio Mini Recorder for windows

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

lash90

UltraStudio Mini Recorder for windows

PostSun Oct 27, 2019 6:15 pm

Hello Guys,

I want to ask about the UltraStudio Mini Recorder
if It works for PC [windows]
and how can I connect it to PC
is there any alternative solution for Thunderbolt Cable in PC ?

Thanks!

Xtreemtec

Re: UltraStudio Mini Recorder for windows

PostTue Oct 29, 2019 8:04 pm

PC and Thunderbolt are no friends!! Thunderbolt is something that is implemented in Apple Mac. But in the PC world almost no machine supports it well.. Don't burn your fingers on this..

Go for a Decklink card for PC use.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Frank Engel

PostWed Oct 30, 2019 11:16 am

There are Windoze PCs (even including laptops) with Thunderbolt support. The catch is that you can't really add it to a computer which doesn't have it to begin with (Windoze or Mac doesn't matter for this one) - it needs to be on the motherboard, not on an expansion card.

That said, if you are on a desktop and have a free slot for it I certainly agree that the internal card is a better choice.

Xtreemtec

PostWed Oct 30, 2019 2:14 pm

So Frank,

Name a few windows laptops / desktops that work succesfully with Thunderbolt 2 / 3 and BMD hardware 8-)
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Andrew Martin

PostWed Oct 30, 2019 8:01 pm

Now, now Daniel play nice.

We had an older Asus ROG laptop that worked ok
with TB, but ditched it a while back, as it had come
to its natural EOL, but. As you say most times it can be tricky.

From my mobile using Tapatalk

Xtreemtec

PostWed Oct 30, 2019 8:10 pm

Andrew Martin wrote: As you say most times it can be tricky.

Exactly my case.. I have not heared a lot of people succeed to get a reliable TB connection under Windows. :roll: Unfortuntly because for portable setups almost all hardware works with Apple. But windows is a bit left behind.

USB-C is emerging under windows and Mac. So why stick to TB3 if USB-C is becoming much more common..

Andrew Martin

PostWed Oct 30, 2019 8:20 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:
Andrew Martin wrote: As you say most times it can be tricky.

Exactly my case.. I have not heared a lot of people succeed to get a reliable TB connection under Windows. :roll: Unfortuntly because for portable setups almost all hardware works with Apple. But windows is a bit left behind.

USB-C is emerging under windows and Mac. So why stick to TB3 if USB-C is becoming much more common..
Yep. It seems USB -C is much more widely used on windows PC's
and TB has been the preferred on Mac. Although I'm not really up to speed with Mac PC's. Although Windows sucks as well. I'm really a Linux guy.

From my mobile using Tapatalk

Dave Del Vecchio

PostWed Oct 30, 2019 11:26 pm

I have used Thunderbolt with Blackmagic capture devices on Windows with various Intel NUC computers without any problems. This includes the UltraStudio units and DeckLink cards in a Thunderbolt PCIe enclosure.

I also use an ASUS laptop with a Thunderbolt 3 port that works fine as well.

And then I have also used a variety of Mac hardware (mostly MacBook Pro and MacBook Air) with Thunderbolt ports, but running Windows, and these have worked fine with Blackmagic Thunderbolt capture devices as well.

Note that there are only a few Windows laptop models with Thunderbolt 1 or Thunderbolt 2 ports that were ever produced. But there are a decent number of Windows laptops with Thunderbolt 3 ports. You need to make sure that it is actually a Thunderbolt 3 port though (not just USB Type-C, even though both use the same kind of connector).

For the UltraStudio Mini Recorder in particular, which is a Thunderbolt 2 device, you would need to use a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter if you want to use it with a Thunderbolt 3 capable computer. The UltraStudio HD Mini is Thunderbolt 3 native, but a bit more expensive.

Jack Fairley

PostThu Oct 31, 2019 1:05 am

I have a Dell Precision 5540 Mobile that works fine with an UltraStudio HD Mini.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Xtreemtec

PostThu Oct 31, 2019 11:07 am

Actual great info. I only heared Horror stories about Windows and TB3.

So to sum up:
Intel NUC with TB3
Asus ROG Some models
Dell Precision 5540 Mobile ( and 5530 also seems to have TB3.. :) )

Frank Engel

PostThu Oct 31, 2019 7:19 pm

USB 3.2 on a USB-C connector maxes out at 20 Gbps which is the speed of Thunderbolt 2.
Thunderbolt 3 reaches 40 Gbps.

From what I have read it is expected that Thunderbolt may eventually be rolled into the USB standards as an optional feature of sorts and the two may eventually reach performance parity, but for now Thunderbolt is staying a bit ahead of USB-C.

Dave Del Vecchio

PostFri Nov 01, 2019 4:23 am

Frank Engel wrote:USB 3.2 on a USB-C connector maxes out at 20 Gbps which is the speed of Thunderbolt 2.
Thunderbolt 3 reaches 40 Gbps.

From what I have read it is expected that Thunderbolt may eventually be rolled into the USB standards as an optional feature of sorts and the two may eventually reach performance parity, but for now Thunderbolt is staying a bit ahead of USB-C.
USB4 is supposed to be based on the Thunderbolt 3 protocol, so presumably at that point they will become compatible with each other:
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/03 ... alty-free/

But for earlier versions of USB-C there are protocol differences with Thunderbolt that go beyond the simple bandwidth differences. USB-C 3.1 Gen 2 has a bandwidth of 10Gbps which is the same bandwidth as Thunderbolt 1. And actually the UltraStudio Mini Recorder and Mini Monitor as HD-only devices work fine within the Thunderbolt 1 bandwidth specs.

Unfortunately due to protocol differences, you still can't use a Thunderbolt 1 device with a USB-C port (even with an adapter).

Frank Engel

PostFri Nov 01, 2019 2:55 pm

Dave Del Vecchio wrote:Unfortunately due to protocol differences, you still can't use a Thunderbolt 1 device with a USB-C port (even with an adapter).

Not if it is a USB-C only port, but if it is a TB3 port (which usually doubles as a USB-C port) you can use Apple's adapter as it is bi-directional.

Dave Del Vecchio

PostSat Nov 02, 2019 2:46 am

Frank Engel wrote:
Dave Del Vecchio wrote:Unfortunately due to protocol differences, you still can't use a Thunderbolt 1 device with a USB-C port (even with an adapter).
Not if it is a USB-C only port, but if it is a TB3 port (which usually doubles as a USB-C port) you can use Apple's adapter as it is bi-directional.
Yes, that is what I mentioned earlier. A Thunderbolt 3 port can work as a USB-C port, but the reverse is not true, an ordinary USB-C port cannot behave as a Thunderbolt port. It can get confusing because the same physical connector is used for both types of ports.

Looking forward to the day when USB4 is mainstream and this distinction goes away.

Frank Engel

PostSat Nov 02, 2019 11:33 pm

Dave Del Vecchio wrote:
Frank Engel wrote:
Yes, that is what I mentioned earlier. A Thunderbolt 3 port can work as a USB-C port, but the reverse is not true, an ordinary USB-C port cannot behave as a Thunderbolt port. It can get confusing because the same physical connector is used for both types of ports.

Looking forward to the day when USB4 is mainstream and this distinction goes away.

From what I have read, they are incorporating TB into the USB spec but as an optional feature, so not all implementers of USB4 are guaranteed to provide TB support. While incorporating it into the spec may result implementation being a bit more widespread than it is now, it still may not be entirely universal.

In the current (and I am assuming future) scheme, the USB-C "alt mode" capability is essentially being used to carry the TB protocol over the wire, so it is basically a nested protocol now being carried within the USB connection, much like you have TCP and UDP that get carried over IP which can be carried over Ethernet, PPP, etc...

MambaFiber.com

PostMon Nov 04, 2019 7:57 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:Actual great info. I only heared Horror stories about Windows and TB3.

So to sum up:
Intel NUC with TB3
Asus ROG Some models
Dell Precision 5540 Mobile ( and 5530 also seems to have TB3.. :) )

Add the Dell XPS15 (9575) and the XPS13 (9350) to the list of TB3/Windows 10 that works with the Ultra Studio Mini Recorder.

I'm using the Apple TB3/TB2 adapter (MMEL2AM/A) to connect the Mini Recorder.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostSat May 23, 2020 3:08 pm

Intel NUC 8i5BEHS WIndows 10 , Apple TB3 -> TB2 adapter , Ultrastudio Express WORKS
http://tally.pytkin.sk
http://chucktv.eu
http://www.stonepp.tv
http://www.media-planet.sk

Return to Live Production