Decklink Quad 2 won't play nice in a new install

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

knightheartgaming

Decklink Quad 2 won't play nice in a new install

PostSun Dec 30, 2018 6:51 pm

Hi Everyone.

I'm hoping someone has come across this because I've been beating myself up for a few days now and can't seem to get a good install of the Decklink Quad 2.

I'm trying to upgrade to a more capable PC for streaming. So I'm moving this card from one where it works into another where upon putting the card in the PCI slot and booting up it recognizes it but suddenly seems to try and route everything through it. My SoundBlaster card stops functioning completely. And even trying to play video just slows to a crawl (around 2-5 fps) as though it's trying to use the Decklink as a graphics card. All the Blackmagic drivers install and the card functions (a little overzealously I guess). But this is not a functioning system like this.

Does anyone know what is going on here or have experience with this issue?

Old PC is an ASUS Sabertooth X79 with an Intel i7-3930K CPU, an nVidia GTX 680, a SoundBlaster ZxR, and running Windows 10.

New PC is an ASUS WS x299 Sage with an Intel i9-7980XE CPU, an nVidia RTX 2080 ti, a SoundBlaster ZxR, and running Windows 10.

Clearly, that looks like some sort of motherboard issue. But I want to start here with the device that refuses to do as it is asked.

Thank you.
Frank Schumacher

mtankovski

Re: Decklink Quad 2 won't play nice in a new install

PostWed Oct 30, 2019 10:33 am

Hello Frank,

I know it's been a long time since you have post this issue, but at the moment I am getting the same problem with very similar combination.
Wanted to check if maybe you have found a solution.

MBD X299 WS SAGE, VGA RTX2080, CPU i7 7820X and 16GB or RAM with Windows 10 Pro 64bit.

System is very fast and quick responsive up until I have inserted Decklink Quad2.
Even without drivers installed, system got much more slower.
Tried with several version of drivers, nothing has changed to better.
Tried also to install Decklink Quad2 to serveral of the PCIe ports, also no changes.

MBD BIOS version is 1001.

knightheartgaming

PostWed Oct 30, 2019 4:18 pm

Hi Marjan,

I did find a solution that works for me. I can't say it is optimal since I stumbled into it myself. I couldn't find it anywhere else and I guess others are not running into it, or perhaps just not talking about it.

I put the Decklink Quad 2 in the number 1 PCIe port and then put the graphics card in the next available slot it would fit in. For me that was the 3rd slot. In my case, both are rated at 16x speed so I guess it is okay. Though it runs counter to any recommendation I've ever seen on NVidia card installs, it works.

I could not find a way to make a stable, viable system without putting the Quad 2 in slot 1. After I discovered the solution, I found a few other posts that dealt with similar, though not exact, scenarios and often encouraged people to make similar configurations.

I hope this helps.
Frank Schumacher

mtankovski

PostFri Nov 01, 2019 10:28 am

Hi Frank,

todays update.
I have updated the ASUS Motherboard firmware to v.2002 and so far it plays nice.
VGA is slot 1, while I have tested the Quad2 in Slot 4 and Slot 5. In both also plays nice and for this short time of testing it is stable.

Hope this helps if you have not already updated the firmware on your motherboard.

regards,
Marjan

Return to Getting Started