Please Stop New features and Stabilize Resolve

• Author

Rolfe Klement

Please Stop New features and Stabilize Resolve

PostWed Oct 30, 2019 11:04 pm

please....

74th Crash in 6 days across 4 machines - now with clients here....
Intel i7 7820HK 2.9GHz RAM 32GB Windows 10 Home V1803 64Bit
2 x 2 TB NVME Samsung Pro
GTX 1080
www.creativesunshine.com

Kenzo

Re: Please STOP New features and Stabilize Resolve

PostThu Oct 31, 2019 1:58 am

+1
Eryk Rogozinski
www.art-fx.eu

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Oct 31, 2019 6:18 am

Rolfe Klement wrote:please....

74th Crash in 6 days across 4 machines - now with clients here....

Hi, do you have auto logs reporting on, or have posted logs here with your system info?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Rolfe Klement

PostFri Nov 01, 2019 7:28 pm

Yup
Intel i7 7820HK 2.9GHz RAM 32GB Windows 10 Home V1803 64Bit
2 x 2 TB NVME Samsung Pro
GTX 1080
www.creativesunshine.com

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Please Stop New features and Stabilize Resolve

PostMon Nov 18, 2019 9:07 am

Hi, i don't see posts from you in the last 2 months with logs. can you point me to them?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

roger.magnusson

PostMon Nov 18, 2019 12:39 pm

Is the in-app reporting feature disabled while not in beta? I had a few crashes in v16.1.1 on Windows and wrote reports, but when submitting it always said it was unable to send (or something to that effect). This used to work and I haven't changed any of those settings (or my firewall setup) since the beta versions.

emteepee

PostMon Nov 18, 2019 10:01 pm

I couldn't agree more. Please stop feature development and get Resolve stabilised as it's becoming almost unusable at times.

I started using DR some time ago because it was much more stable than Premiere, but it's now significantly worse than Premiere and I'd rather have a stable platform than lots of extra features.
Win 10 Pro : Intel i9-7900X @ 3.6GHz (max 4.3GHz)
64GByte 3.5GHz DDR4 RAM
Internal 2x2TB M2 SSD + 1x6TB SSD
Misc 20TB internal + 20TB ext backup
Geforce GTX 1070 Ti (8GByte) [Studio/creative driver]
Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6
[updated October 2023]

Eddy Juillerat

PostThu Nov 21, 2019 10:15 am

My experience is similar but the timing is different.
Today my Resolve installation is quite stable in comparison with the past when I had many stability problems. Under Windows 7 it was sometimes very difficult. Windows 10 seems working better with my hardware.
But yes overall keeping a stable (meaning A SOFTWARE WE CAN COUNT ON) is vital.

Now i had some issues when I use some audio filters in Fairlight. It made the project crash Resolve without any possibility to recover (as far I tried).
The only solution I know is to activate the autosaves (they saved me from losing weeks of work), and export (.DRP) each project everyday under a different name. Then erase the older exports as I go along.

In the past I worked in typography in the print industry, or on a construction site with a carpenter. Places you need safety. Different in those workplaces but anywhere, we keep things away from troubles.
If you think about many other profession in any field, we make sure to have safety, to not lose material. Safety is part a doing a professionnal job. Meaning we must anticipate like any other job. Think safe and the Resolve experience becomes a bless.
Cameras: [BMPCC4K - Panasonic Lumix lenses] - [BMCC 2,5K EF - Sigma EX lenses]
System: Windows 10 pro 64 bits SSD - 5.1 - Resolve 18.5
Asus board X99-s - Intel Core i7-5960x 3 GHz - RAM 32 GB - MSI GeForce RTX 2060 VENTUS GP OC (6 Go)

studio1492

PostSat Nov 23, 2019 11:44 am

I find fully stable the DVR16.1.1 Mac Version.

Everything works fine since weeks, not a single crash since weeks while working 5-7 hours/day. Currently I'm editing/grading a 30 minutes a 4k timeline featuring x3 multicam, x4 VST audio plugins, and around 10 operative nodes on each clip including spatial NR, stabilization etc. I haven't used Fusion. All is fully smooth and stable.

In my case I miss some features, but stability seems to be great on modern Apple equipments, as it was on my old iMac 2012 for 7 years.
- MBP 14" M1 Pro 16GB, 1TB, 10 core CPU, 16 core GPU.
- Resolve Studio 18.6.4 @ macOS 13.6.2
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Speed Editor (gathering dust until killer custom keys arrive)
- Synology DS218

tlegvold

PostFri Aug 28, 2020 3:36 am

I agree that stability is far more important than any additional features. There are a lot of bugs posted here daily, seems many of them (but not all) are from Windows users. Maybe focus on finding and eliminating many of the bugs, which will make further development and expansion much easier, and keep the system more stable.

If I can't depend on professional tools, I'll end up going elsewhere until I find something I can rely on. I think that applies to many of us who do this professionally. Lost time and flawed deliverables cost us money.
Desktop: 2019 Mac Pro 16 Core CPU 192GB RAM | AMD Radeon W5700X 16GB | OS X Monterey 12.7
Fairlight Audio Accelerator CC-2 | Audio Interface SX-36 | Audio Editor (FAE) | Studio Console
Mobile: 2023 16" M3 Max MacBook Pro 64GB RAM | OS X Sonoma 14.3

studio1492

PostTue Sep 22, 2020 5:29 pm

There are parts that are still in beta (subtitles are buggy, .srt export doesn't works to me), also there is a lack of coherent unification between pages. Fairlight seems to me that is still beta when editing on the timeline. Not unification on Cut/export/fairlight, many disabled markers and transport features on Fairlight/Export.

I agree that is important to exit "betas" before proposing new features.

Perhaps is more important to keep for BMD to keep current DVR users to stay, fixing beta parts to avoid them to going back to Premiere/FCPX, than to atract new editors to DVR. Once they find many features in beta they may leave DVR forever,
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Synology DS218

jamedia

PostTue Sep 22, 2020 5:50 pm

studio1492 wrote:Perhaps is more important to keep for BMD to keep current DVR users to stay, fixing beta parts to avoid them to going back to Premiere/FCPX, than to atract new editors to DVR. Once they find many features in beta they may leave DVR forever,

Although there are a hell of a lot of bugs reported (far to many) there does seem to be a lot of people wanting BMD to fix them rather than giving up on Resolve.

It is also interesting that a lot seem to move projects between A.N. Other NLE and Resolve to use the colour correction and fairlight sections. If BMD sorted out the stability and the multitude of minor niggles I expect far more would not go back and forth but stay with Resolve.

I got yelled at in another thread because I am using the Free version rather than paying. The Studio version was on the "buy" list but we haven't bought (or committed) because of the instability and many minor niggles.
I don't mind paying for the software but it needs to have decent quality.
www.JAmedia.uk
[AMD Ryzen 5950X 16 Core CPU | 128GB Ram | NVIDIA 3080TI 12GB ]
[MB ASUS ProArt B550| C Drive:; 1TB M2 980 Pro | D Drive; 2TB M2 970 EVO ]
[ Win 11 home |Resolve Studio V18.6 | Speed Editor via USB | Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen| ]

Marc Wielage

PostWed Sep 23, 2020 1:20 am

I have had only 3 crashes in 7 weeks using 16.2.3, but this is on Mac OSX 10.15.6 and the 2019 Mac Pro. We've done all kinds of HD, 2K, and 4K sessions and stressed it to the hilt with 20-30-40 nodes on every clip on occasion. It did slow down when we threw Neat Video at it some weeks ago, but all it did was slow down and run hot for a few hours -- zero crashes. When we did have crashes (very rarely), they could well be because of OS and I/O issues, not Resolve per se.

I don't dispute that real crashes do happen in some cases, but there are a lot of moving parts with Windows and Linux workstations, particularly with drivers, minor OS updates, different hardware, and so on. We don't run anything in the background on our Resolve system and try to do as little as possible on it except for Resolve. I will occasionally run Premiere or Avid without Resolve running, but even that's pretty rare. We have 256GB of RAM, so the system "should" be able to handle it, but I try to be as cautious as possible.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Hendrik Proosa

PostWed Sep 23, 2020 6:39 am

Marc, how much work do you do outside color page? Most problems are not in color page, so you can’t see them if you spend 95% of your time there.
1) reshoot
2) hire a guy
3) moca bro
Apply in whichever order, hope it helps

jamedia

PostWed Sep 23, 2020 8:17 am

Hendrik Proosa wrote:Marc, how much work do you do outside color page? Most problems are not in color page, so you can’t see them if you spend 95% of your time there.

I think this is the problem. A lot of people seem to use other NLEs but drop into Resolve for the colour page. The rest of the app needs to come up to the same standard as the colour page.
www.JAmedia.uk
[ Win 11 home |Resolve Studio V18.6 | Speed Editor via USB | Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen| ]

Mark Grgurev

PostSat Oct 31, 2020 6:44 pm

This isn't how software development works. "Stabilizing" software isn't process that prevents new bugs from being created. It still requires modifying code and new bugs can always be created. Adding features doesn't necessarily make things less stable.

studio1492

PostSat Oct 31, 2020 9:34 pm

Mark Grgurev wrote:This isn't how software development works. "Stabilizing" software isn't process that prevents new bugs from being created. It still requires modifying code and new bugs can always be created. Adding features doesn't necessarily make things less stable.

Ok, instead calling it "stabilize" software, maybe the author of this thread means to "repair what is currently broken and unfixed". I.E: "Subtitles"
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Synology DS218

Mark Grgurev

PostSun Nov 01, 2020 2:12 am

studio1492 wrote:Ok, instead calling it "stabilize" software, maybe the author of this thread means to "repair what is currently broken and unfixed". I.E: "Subtitles"

That's fair. I have a bunch of topics and posts in Feature Requests that advocate for things that would hopefully result in a more stable and less buggy Resolve. However, those suggestions get there through consolidation and restructuring of Resolve that would naturally result in new features and most likely a few new bugs. I have no doubts that if BMD did actually implement those changes their would still be people complaining that BMD is too focused on adding new features just because some very specific bugs that effects them more than others might still be around.

Making a topic suggesting that BMD shouldn't add anything to their software until it's virtually bug free doesn't make sense. Why not just stick to reporting the bugs you're running into? Instead OP posted vaguely about crashes he ran into and didn't cooperate with a member of BMD that tried helping him. OP could be running into a hardware issues for all he knows.

jamedia

PostSun Nov 01, 2020 8:52 am

Mark Grgurev wrote:This isn't how software development works. "Stabilizing" software isn't process that prevents new bugs from being created. It still requires modifying code and new bugs can always be created. Adding features doesn't necessarily make things less stable.

Whist this is true you can still have a release that stabilises by fixing internal problems and code without adding any external features. This is not uncommon. Though not always obvious as the rework usually permits additional "minor" features to be added. However it normally provides a more robust platform for adding new major features.
www.JAmedia.uk

Trensharo

PostThu Nov 05, 2020 7:06 pm

jamedia wrote:
studio1492 wrote:Perhaps is more important to keep for BMD to keep current DVR users to stay, fixing beta parts to avoid them to going back to Premiere/FCPX, than to atract new editors to DVR. Once they find many features in beta they may leave DVR forever,

Although there are a hell of a lot of bugs reported (far to many) there does seem to be a lot of people wanting BMD to fix them rather than giving up on Resolve.

It is also interesting that a lot seem to move projects between A.N. Other NLE and Resolve to use the colour correction and fairlight sections. If BMD sorted out the stability and the multitude of minor niggles I expect far more would not go back and forth but stay with Resolve.

I got yelled at in another thread because I am using the Free version rather than paying. The Studio version was on the "buy" list but we haven't bought (or committed) because of the instability and many minor niggles.
I don't mind paying for the software but it needs to have decent quality.

I have stopped using Resolve for editing. Premiere Pro just performs better, pretty much everywhere, and I get crashes adding VST Plugins to tracks or clips in Resolve | Fairlight 40% of the time I try. I just can't use that page, anymore.

Seemed to work fine before. One of the more recent releases definitely destabilized this.

Plus, I kind of want to use my OpenFX plugins, but their performance in Resolve is so bad that they're just $1K+ collecting dust... because they're unusably slow in this NLE.

I'm not wasting tons of money upgrading GPUs year-over-year chasing a mythical unicorn.

Mark Grgurev

PostThu Nov 05, 2020 9:33 pm

Trensharo wrote:Plus, I kind of want to use my OpenFX plugins, but their performance in Resolve is so bad that they're just $1K+ collecting dust... because they're unusably slow in this NLE.

I'm not wasting tons of money upgrading GPUs year-over-year chasing a mythical unicorn.

What OpenFX plugins are you using?

Videoneth

• Warnings: 1

PostFri Nov 13, 2020 11:46 pm

emteepee wrote:I couldn't agree more. Please stop feature development and get Resolve stabilised as it's becoming almost unusable at times.

I started using DR some time ago because it was much more stable than Premiere, but it's now significantly worse than Premiere and I'd rather have a stable platform than lots of extra features.

I don't understand these comments. For a stable version of Resolve, people should use 16.x.x.
DR 17 is in beta... the role of a beta is to test new stuff, take them out, put them back, and have a feedback from the users who are willing to use it... as a beta.
Windows 10
19b
nVidia 3090 - 552.22

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests