Can this performance be right....

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

LaserBlueExige

Can this performance be right....

PostThu Oct 31, 2019 11:52 am

I have held back on this for ages but time has come to ask this question....

Is the rendering performance I am getting right or have I not setup Davinci correctly.

So lets start with my rig

ASRock AMD X399M Taichi Threadripper Micro ATX Motherboard
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X Processor - (16 Core/32 Threads)
Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB DDR4 3000 MHz RAM/Memory Kit 4 x 16GB
ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB M.2 Gaming Solid State Drive (SSD), black x 2
EVGA NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 8GB XC GAMING Turing Graphics Card
Davinci Resolve 16 not Studio
Cooler Master MasterFan Pro 120 Air Balance RGB 3 in 1 with RGB LED Controller
Corsair l/AMD CPU Water Cooler
Seasonic Focus Plus+ 850 Watt Gold Modular PSU/Power Supply

The motherboard is running the latest bios and has picked up the Graphics card.

So my project is as follows;
1. Project is set to 1080p 59.95FPS and is about 1 hour and 10 minutes in length, based on a car trip through the Alps over 10 days. I created 10 individual timelines for each day and took my media from the following which is all stored on one of my SSD Drives;
i. Gopro footage using protune shot at 1080p 59.95FPS The footage is all taken from a car, one camera facing forward and one reverse with audio from only the rear camera. The files are MP4 format and H264 Codec. I use the transform in Edit to move from front to rear probably 5 or six times for each day.
ii. Still images taken on a Samsung phone about 10 shots per day. These are presented in fusion with a map background, a still image from Google Maps with a color correction node so they appear back and white They are in 3d space with a white border with text at the bottom of each photo and a bit of animation so they appear to fly in and fly out.
iii. I have probably for or five seperate fusion components that run a maximium of 2 Text+ Nodes and a couple of rectangles and backgrounds all of which which are animated....

So the above seemed to come together ok but I never got anywhere near real time play back in Fusion even after a second pass. Perhaps 20% at best. Davinci would also crash on average about every 20 minutes or so. It didn't appear to be the PC just Davinci. Anyway I struggled on.

After completing each day I render out at 1080p MP4. For about 10 minutes of clips it was taking close to 3 hours to render. The frame rate would hover between 0.5 and 2 for the image fusion clips and I was getting 7 or 8 on the gopro footage. I also noticed that on the fusion rendering it would sit at 0 seconds and then after a couple of minutes would increase to 0.5 or 2.

I have created one combined timeline with all the tens days and probably will be happy to wait a couple of days for all of this to render.....but surely it shouldn't be this slow.

I must confess the install of Davinci is as out of the box and I haven't tweaked any settings......is there something I should be doing or is this what I should accept and live with.....

Charles Bennett

Re: Can this performance be right....

PostFri Nov 01, 2019 3:36 pm

Have you made sure you have an up to date driver for your GPU? Go to the nvidia website and check. If given a choice you should download the Studio driver which is optimized for creative use, not the Gaming one. When installing it use the Clean Install option.
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Nov 02, 2019 10:04 am

Your codec from GoPro, frame rate and non studio version accounts for much of the slowness. Fusion is demanding so try rendering those clips separately and placing back into the timeline
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

mass85

PostSun Nov 03, 2019 9:30 am

This topic is very interesting to me, because I am also editing video shot with GoPro (however rather 4K 30fps and 2K 120fps) and am considering buying a similar hardware to @LaserBlueExige, just with a different processor (either Ryzen 3700x, 3900x or i9-9900K) and slightly different GPU. I will be very grateful for any additional information on the performance.

@LaserBlueExige, can you edit and playback timeline (out of fusion) smoothly?
Peter Chamberlain, could you elaborate a bit more on differences between Studio and free versions? How much could we gain by upgrade to Studio? I know that only Studio supports multi GPU and I am actually considering getting a second GPU as an upgrade for the future. But what can we gain on a single GPU system?

LaserBlueExige

PostFri Nov 08, 2019 10:53 am

Guys thanks for the comments here...

Charles I have now reloaded the drivers with Studio from Nvidia. This has made a significant improvement. On rendering straight GoPro footage at 60 fps I am getting close to 100fps whilst rendering. Very happy with that.

Fusion on the other hand I have only seen a very small improvement and am still getting roughly the same as before.

Peter good idea re the rendering out and then placing the footage back in the timeline. This has helped a lot as I have been playing with the rendering k/ps to get sensible file sizes without loosing quality. Your tip has made the process much quicker. Perhaps I will also have to dig deep and invest in the studio version of Davinci.

Marcin....with Charles suggestion i am getting real time playback of GoPro footage in Edit but not with Fusion. I have a lot of small fusion clips which I flagged as render to cache which helped alot on the playback. However eventually I started getting messages saying my SSD drive was full which I eventually tracked down as the cache rendering. Stupidly I deleted it and then my timeline went red stating the fusion clips weren't available. Took me a day to sort that out and still am a bit confused how to delete a cache render without getting into the pickle i was in before.

Return to DaVinci Resolve