How to Add Reverb at end of music beat

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

MarnMxxx

How to Add Reverb at end of music beat

PostMon Jul 08, 2019 2:52 am

Would like to know how to extend the end of any audio as reverb. Can do this in pretty much all other mainstream editors so can someone explain how it's done in Resolve?

Thanks
USING:
iMac 2020
OS 13.5.1
3.8 GHz 8-core Intel Core i7
64GB 2667 MHz DDR4 RAM
AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16GB
12TB RAID

Peter Cave

Re: How to Add Reverb at end of music beat

PostMon Jul 08, 2019 3:41 am

No special method, just add the reverb effect and the reverb tail will extend past the clip.
Resolve 18.6.5 Mac OSX 14.4 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

MarnMxxx

PostMon Jul 08, 2019 4:56 am

Not happening here. The clip ends and so does the reverb.
USING:
iMac 2020
OS 13.5.1
64GB 2667 MHz DDR4 RAM
12TB RAID

Peter Cave

PostMon Jul 08, 2019 6:16 am

You should be on the Fairlight Page. For final output you will also need to have some black or other vision in the timeline so the audio clip with the reverb 'tail' is not the last clip in the timeline.
Mac Studio Max 32GB

MarnMxxx

PostMon Jul 08, 2019 4:04 pm

I've got a solid color generator going well past the audio clip that I'm trying to reverb out. The reverb still stops at the end of the audio clip. I also added a silent audio clip that extends past the reverb clip. Reverb still stops at end of clip I added reverb to.

If anyone can make this work can you please detail exactly how to do it? This is standard fair for any high end professional video editor. As far as I can tell Resolve can't do this basic technique, very disconcerting.
USING:
iMac 2020
OS 13.5.1
64GB 2667 MHz DDR4 RAM
12TB RAID

Jim Simon

PostMon Jul 08, 2019 4:32 pm

I never found a way to make this work in Adobe Premiere Pro either.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

MarnMxxx

PostMon Jul 08, 2019 4:50 pm

Jim Simon wrote:I never found a way to make this work in Adobe Premiere Pro either.

How to in Premiere:
https://motionarray.com/tutorials/premi ... g-anywhere
USING:
iMac 2020
OS 13.5.1
64GB 2667 MHz DDR4 RAM
12TB RAID

Jim Simon

PostMon Jul 08, 2019 5:15 pm

That tutorial isn't quite right. He's performing the operation in the middle of the audio file, not the end of it. I wanted to add reverb to the actual end of the song, end of the file. That's what I never got working.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Oyvind Stiauren

PostMon Jul 08, 2019 6:18 pm

MarnMxxx wrote:I've got a solid color generator going well past the audio clip that I'm trying to reverb out..

I don't work much with Fairlight, but maybe you could try to convert the color generator clip into a compound clip, or insert a real clip with just black instead of the generator. When you have a generator at the end of a sequence, Resolve will sometimes stop at the end of the real video clip, and ignore the generator.
--
Oyvind Stiauren, C.S.I.
Senior Colorist
Terminal, Mexico City
www.terminalmx.com
www.imdb.com/name/nm1008209/

jackhumbert

PostThu Oct 31, 2019 3:19 pm

I came across this via a Google search, so maybe this will be helpful to someone else:

If you remove the Reverb effect from your clip, duplicate it, place it right afterwards, and reduce the volume to -100 (or otherwise insert a blank audio clip), you can select the two clips with the Range Selection Mool (R), going a bit beyond each on either side, then choosing Timeline > Bounce Selected Tracks to New Layer from the menu. You can then trim the clip as needed, and add back the Reverb effect.

It is pretty frustrating that it doesn't have a "bleed" option of some sort, but at least this is a quick work-around. If you're recording these in Resolve, you can just leave some silence at the end of the clip, which can serve as room noise as well (this ended up working better for my application).

David_Cox

PostThu Oct 31, 2019 8:57 pm

The effect does not extend beyond the audio track, so one solution is to effectively extend the track by adding something to the end of it - even a solid color - and making a compound clip out of them both. Then add the reverb effect to that.

Not sure if this is a bug or a feature. I can see danger in allowing effects to live on after the end of an audio track. For example, when you come to export and set an outpoint by looking at the tracks on the timeline. This could lead to accidentally cutting off a continuing audio effect.

DC
Showreels: vimeo.com/davidcoxtv

Peter Cave

PostFri Nov 01, 2019 1:36 am

The way to do this easily is to add a Reverb effect to a TRACK not a clip. Also use the Fairlight page to do it. There are automation controls to adjust anything you need on the track and/or plugin.
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Joshua Morin

PostFri Nov 01, 2019 1:57 am

Peter Cave wrote:The way to do this easily is to add a Reverb effect to a TRACK not a clip. Also use the Fairlight page to do it. There are automation controls to adjust anything you need on the track and/or plugin.

This hardly Seems like the easy way to do it. What happens if you have to move the clip around? Then you have to redo the animation?
Resolve 18.1.4 Build 9
Apple M1 Max, 32.0 GB
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070M, 8Gb
MacOs Monterey

Peter Cave

PostFri Nov 01, 2019 5:05 am

Joshua Morin wrote:
Peter Cave wrote:The way to do this easily is to add a Reverb effect to a TRACK not a clip. Also use the Fairlight page to do it. There are automation controls to adjust anything you need on the track and/or plugin.

This hardly Seems like the easy way to do it. What happens if you have to move the clip around? Then you have to redo the animation?

It's the only way to do it.
Mac Studio Max 32GB

MarnMxxx

PostWed Jun 10, 2020 6:01 pm

Here's how I've been doing this. It's more work than most pro edit programs but it works.
Razor cut about a beat after the chosen ringout beat. Delete everything after this cut.
Next razor cut 2 - 4 frames before the beat hit where you want the ringout to start (one beat prior to the cut just made). Move this cut portion exactly down to a new empty track. Pull 4 to 6 frames out after the cut on the original track clip and add a fade.
In Fairlight, add the Reverb to this new track, not clip. For reverb preset choose "Cathedral and play with the settings until you're happy with it. Add fade to start and end of ringout beat clip. Play it and make sure it works the way you want.
Project Settings > Capture and Playback > Capture window, change “Save clips to” location to a Bounce folder you make in the projects folder. Only way to back up the bounces with project. Otherwise they go into the Davinci cache folder and don't follow with a project backup.
Mark in point at start of ringout clip & out point at the end of reverb. Mute all tracks except the ringout track. Maybe just solo the ringout track.
From Timeline Menu choose Bounce Mix to Track. For Destination Track choose New.
This will create the ringout clip file and put it on a new track (as specified in Bounce window). Can now delete the track with the reverb applied and the part of the clip used for it. Can even put new ringout clip straight up onto original track.

Trippy function here. Resolve creates two mono files for this ringout instead of one stereo file. You can see both files in the folder you had Resolve save it to. HOWEVER, In the Resolve Timeline and Media window it shows only one of the files. Kind of a silly process.

I've also done this without bouncing the ringout that created the new audio files by keeping that first ringout track that the reverb was originally added to. I'll keep that reverb track at the bottom of the Timeline if I plan to make more than the one ringout. So any future ringouts you make can just be razored and dropped onto that same ringout track. No bouncing to create new files needed.

Hope this helps

Kdubb2020

PostMon Apr 12, 2021 3:21 pm

How I approach this is to add silence to the end of the audio clip to the length I wish the tail to extend to in audition or any other daw using external audio process in resolve for round trip

Firehouse Creative

PostWed Feb 15, 2023 4:49 pm

Just in case anyone is wondering.... I just GUESSED on a hack for this and it worked perfectly, because yes this trick is in constant use in edits.

We need to trick Resolve by making the clip effect one length while the audio is actually much shorter, right?

1) Take the clip you want to ring out, cut a frame or two before the downbeat.
2) Wrap this new audio clip, by itself, into a new compound clip just after the main song, no new tracks or anything.
3) Immediately open that compound clip in a new timeline tab, and just roll back the internal audio to taste.
4) Hop back out to the main timeline, and you'll see the compound clip waveform has line silence after your newly rolled edit.
5) Apply your reverb effect to that clip..... and.... CAN YEH HEAH THE SUSTAIN!?

Note: your dry/wet level on the reverb will determine if this works as-is. If it's real wet-only, then you may need to stack it on the original clip one up and disable the effects.
---
Wes Langdon
Instagram: @supervibrant

Resolve Studio (current) | Mac Studio M1 Ultra (20-core) | macOS Sonoma | Resolve Mini Panel | Resolve Editor Keyboard | Ultrastudio 4K Mini > LG EP950 & LG CX | Synology DS1821+ over 10Gbe

Reynaud Venter

PostWed Feb 15, 2023 5:23 pm

For Clip-based Reverb plugins on the Fairlight page, the plugin window's Additional Options (3 dots) menu provides an “Enable Bounce Tail” option including "Tail Threshold", and “Bounce Audio Effect”.
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 18.6.6 • macOS 14.3.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

BorisMcGoo

PostThu Jan 04, 2024 6:25 am

The way I do this is quite simple and gives you more control.
First create a new track, then copy your clip to it - use alt and drag.
Second, create a new Bus. Add the effect (like reverb) to that Bus. Make sure that that Bus is outputting to Bus 1 or your Master Bus.
Route your new track to that Bus.
Make sure that there is Send level to that Bus.
Cut off the end of your copied clip from where you want the reverb to begin.
The 'tail' of the reverb will continue for as long as your reverb time is set.
You can then add any copied clips to your new track - give it a name like Reverb Send or whatevs so you don't get lost if you have a lot of tracks.

Firehouse Creative

PostThu Jan 04, 2024 4:11 pm

BorisMcGoo wrote:The way I do this is quite simple and gives you more control.
First create a new track, then copy your clip to it - use alt and drag.
Second, create a new Bus. Add the effect (like reverb) to that Bus. Make sure that that Bus is outputting to Bus 1 or your Master Bus.
Route your new track to that Bus.
Make sure that there is Send level to that Bus.
Cut off the end of your copied clip from where you want the reverb to begin.
The 'tail' of the reverb will continue for as long as your reverb time is set.
You can then add any copied clips to your new track - give it a name like Reverb Send or whatevs so you don't get lost if you have a lot of tracks.

Yes, this is the ''proper" way of doing this in really any context: FX bus sends being automated. It's also a pain to setup and then do every time you need a ringout, especially if a mixer is just gonna re-do it better later anyways. (and this is coming from someone who has their FX pre-routed in their template haha.) Resolve just happens to be the worsttt software around when it comes to handling audio automation, which makes it even more tedious IMHO.
---
Wes Langdon
Instagram: @supervibrant

Resolve Studio (current) | Mac Studio M1 Ultra (20-core) | macOS Sonoma | Resolve Mini Panel | Resolve Editor Keyboard | Ultrastudio 4K Mini > LG EP950 & LG CX | Synology DS1821+ over 10Gbe

oliwend

PostFri Jan 05, 2024 9:10 am

MacBook Pro M1 Max (2021, 16'), MacOS 14.3.1, 64 GB RAM, Resolve Studio 18.6.5

robodog1

• Warnings: 1

PostFri Jan 05, 2024 5:34 pm

I don't know if what I want to do will work... adding video and sound files to this mssg.
The bottom line is that I use audition to do some basic sound stuff in order to mix it together ( audio levels in resolve in the end ) and that includes foley, reverb ( like door slamming with reverb equals drum beat ) and so on.... it's easier ( though takes time) to do it outside of resolve and then put it in afterwards.

robodog1

• Warnings: 1

PostFri Jan 05, 2024 6:03 pm

I put the trailer up on vimeo for you... it was some silly 'challenge' in a forum... so I went into bathroom and crushed up some mylar, and got some sound fx stuff of door slamming and made it reverb, and some electric sound fx ( zzzzzzz... like electricty shocking someone on electric chair ? ) and so on.... and knowing the time ( stop watch of visual of naked guy dropping into earth from who knows where)... I put together the sounds ( as wav files in audition) and moved them to resolve timeline and overlapped them to get that few seconds of sound. The bottom line is that you can do stuff outside of resolve and bring it in and it works nice.

resolve also works nice but think about it...if dealing with what your HEAR is part of what you want to add to what you SEE why not use what you can ???

Return to DaVinci Resolve