Undo Auto Color

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Camaxide

Undo Auto Color

PostWed Jul 10, 2019 2:25 am

So, I selected a whole ton of clips on my timeline that I wanted to move, I then got to press C which Auto Colored all my clips. Undo seem to rather undo the last step before auto color and I can't undo Auto Color.. My ton of clips now look horrible - how can I the easiest get the clips colors back? I went on the menu Color - reset - but all 3 options under there is grayed out when the same ton of clips are still selected.

ps: I figured out that I can go one by one under color and reset them, but for a lot of clips I'm sure there is a way to undo them all, since a pre-bound shortcut-press is all it takes to mess them all up :D (needless to say C is now unbound)

Sam Steti

Re: Undo Auto Color

PostWed Jul 10, 2019 8:34 am

Revert to last save ?
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Camaxide

PostWed Jul 10, 2019 7:25 pm

While that would certainly work it would also not be a very smart or good way since I'd be redoing the last 10 minutes of work. a single buttonpress is likely easier to revert in another way I'd expect. I already went over the lots of clips and manually reset color for each one by one - which still was faster than reverting save - but I'm sure there are other ways to do it for all clips, just I'm not experienced enough to know how :)

Marc Wielage

PostFri Jul 12, 2019 6:21 am

Camaxide wrote:While that would certainly work it would also not be a very smart or good way since I'd be redoing the last 10 minutes of work. a single buttonpress is likely easier to revert in another way I'd expect. I already went over the lots of clips and manually reset color for each one by one - which still was faster than reverting save - but I'm sure there are other ways to do it for all clips, just I'm not experienced enough to know how :)

My opinion: the Undo command works on a clip-by-clip basis, so even if you did a timeline-wide change, you would still have to undo it on every shot.

For this reason, you have to be extremely careful when making changes like this. My advice would be before you do something like this, consider 2 alternative methods:

1) duplicate the timeline before making an undoable change (like a massive Auto Color). That way, if you change your mind, you can always go back to the other copy of the timeline and just use that instead.

2) use a Fixed Node Tree structure where you have X number of nodes available in every single clip. Each node gets one and only one kind of correction, whether it's a curve, or a key, or a lift/gamma/gain correction, or a power window, or whatever. That way, you can make the change to a single empty node. If you change your mind, you can reset that one node, then highlight all the other clips and make that same change to one node only in every clip. That won't change anything else.

I'm not personally a fan of Auto Color, but I get that it has its uses, and BMD has said it's been improved with the neural engine in v16.
Last edited by Marc Wielage on Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Peter Cave

PostFri Jul 12, 2019 6:29 am

Perhaps the History Window will help?
Resolve 18.6.5 Mac OSX 14.4 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Camaxide

PostSat Jul 13, 2019 1:40 am

Does the history window show anything except the available undos?
I did not mean to apply any Auto-Color on any clips, but with a key like C bound to it (seem like a bad bind for such a massive effect which can't easily be undone) I just happened to tap it while I meant to hit F and whoop, mess was done :)
I have unbound the C key now - so it won't happen again.
Thanks for all the tips =)

Sam Steti

PostSat Jul 13, 2019 9:22 am

Hey,
I was quite intrigued by your issue here and just checked : on my keyboard customization, no C (alone) is bound to anything.
Yes, I made a personal one starting from FCP7 keys import, and adding and changing tiny things from time to time, but I never touched C, so it's still the default key, and nothing is bound to it in my custom preset; nor in the DaVinci Resolve default preset.
FYI, auto color is bound to alt + a here (in any preset)
;)
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

MichaelDrowley

PostWed Nov 06, 2019 2:32 am

1. Go to colour page, click on one of the clips that you accidentally auto coloured. Right click node and choose "Reset Node Grade"
2. Right click middle monitor that should now show the clip with no grade on it and choose Grab still
3. Select all your other clips that have the the Auto Colour on them by selecting the first one in the colour timeline, scrolling to the other end of the timeline, hold shift and clicking the last one.
4. Go to your gallery, right click on the still you grabbed in point 2 and choose Apply Grade.
Video Creator and YouTuber
http://www.youtube.com/c/MichaelDrowley

toshicg

PostThu Oct 15, 2020 5:10 am

MichaelDrowley wrote:1. Go to colour page, click on one of the clips that you accidentally auto coloured. Right click node and choose "Reset Node Grade"

Excellent, thank you for the solution, Michael!
I also removed alt+A from my shortcuts since I don't need it in general but I keep pressing it instead of alt+S which is my custom shortcut for changing the speed of a clip.

Kirschman94

PostSun Feb 05, 2023 6:14 am

I know this is a few years old but I wanted to give a solution with Davinci 18 (not sure if it was available before).
If you right click on the clip, select "Remove Attributes," and check "Color Correction" it will remove all color correction done to the clip.

sharchikizo

PostMon May 08, 2023 3:27 pm

@Kirschman94

Looks like using "Remove Attributes" and checking "Color Correction" to remove color correction is NOT something you can UNDO...

This needs to change. I accidentally removed my group color grade 3 times and COULDN'T UNDO IT. Thankfully I saved a still finally to make it happen but I'm constantly copying and removing transform attributes and sometimes I forget to have Color Correction unchecked and it removes that as well.

Return to DaVinci Resolve