BMPC 4k Lenses?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Ben Wells

BMPC 4k Lenses?

PostSun May 05, 2013 3:58 am

If you could choose three lenses under 1k each for the BMPC what would they be?

DGFilms

Re: BMPC 4k Lenses?

PostSun May 05, 2013 4:46 am

Tokina 11-16mm F/2.8
Sigma 17-50mm F/2.8
Sigma 35mm F/1.4
I think a 4th lens is needed, and If you asked me it would be the
The canon 24-105mm F/4L

but I own>>>>
Zeiss ZE 28MM F/2.0
Zeiss ZE 35MM F/2.0
Zeiss ZF 50MM MAKRO F/2.0
Zeiss ZE 85MM F/1.4
Zeiss ZE 100MM F/2.0
Tokina 11-16MM F/2.8
Sigma 17-50MM F/2.8
Canon 70-200MM F/4 L IS USM

Ben Wells

PostSun May 05, 2013 4:56 am

Thank you very much

DGFilms

PostSun May 05, 2013 8:34 am

Ben Wells wrote:Thank you very much

Your welcome, but I forgot to mention Sigma has a new Zoom,
Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8
http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/18/sigm ... -8-dc-hsm/
looks nice, but pricy for a Sigma!

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSun May 05, 2013 10:12 am

The lenses I plan to use with the BMPC-4K when it arrives are my set of >45 yr. old Nikkor F manual primes (24mm, 35mm, 55mm & 85mm; all f2.8 or faster) via Redrock adapters. I'll also probably get the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 zoom, and a zoom >100mm, too, but I'm not sure yet which one.

At some point I may get a ~20mm - ~50mm ~f2.8 zoom with IS as a general all-around lens.

I'll wait until I have the new camera in hand before buying any new lenses.

-

Drakuul

PostSun May 05, 2013 4:50 pm

I'll be using my set of 30+ year old Pentax K mounts with EF adapters.

I will be looking into those Nikkor F mounts Peter, as I found old solidly built glass has given me better results than modern "L" lenses.
Richard Roberts, I do stuff.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSun May 05, 2013 5:14 pm

Hi Drakuul: You might find the following site helpful for researching classic Nikkor lenses:

I buy my used lenses from KEH because the have an enormous inventory, very useful "grading" (condition) rating system, reasonable prices, excellent customer service, and a no-questions-asked inspection period/return policy:
http://www.keh.com

Info on Nikkor lenses:
http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_surv.html#top1
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/ha ... /index.htm
http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/lenses.html

Old Nikkors generally aren't as sharp or contrasty as modern glass, but I've learned to appreciate their look, and the slight softness/glow may help reduce moire slightly. Some "newer" Nikkor lenses don't have an aperture ring on the lens barrel itself. There are lens mount adapters made by Fotodiox & others which have a built-in lever/control to enable adjusting aperture on these lenses.

-

Ben Wells

PostSun May 05, 2013 5:50 pm

If you had $2k for 1 lens to do a majority of your work, what would you recommend? I shoot scripted controlled narrative.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSun May 05, 2013 8:22 pm

Ben Wells wrote:If you had $2k for 1 lens to do a majority of your work, what would you recommend? I shoot scripted controlled narrative.

Probably the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Zoom Lens with IS:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4 ... _8_IS.html

Or, if you don't want IS, then ...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?at ... 4291570227

... or you may prefer something wider, or longer, etc. (if it exists within your budget) ...

... if the lens(es) prove compatible with the BMPC-4K once it ships. Please don't buy a lens for a camera you don't already have in-hand, so you can return the lens or camera if you don't like their performance together.

Cheers.

Ben Wells

PostSun May 05, 2013 8:58 pm

Thank you Peter

Ben Wells

PostMon May 06, 2013 12:23 am

Thoughts on the Samyang/Rokinon Cine Primes?

sambak

PostSun Jun 09, 2013 9:08 am

Ben Wells wrote:Thoughts on the Samyang/Rokinon Cine Primes?

They are generally good.....Oh! and cheap too!

This might help.

bruce

PostMon Jun 10, 2013 2:32 am

I got the samyang 24mm. It is very sharp at t2.8-t8. Soft at t1.5 and ok at t2. Don't know about the other samyangs'. But the 24mm is very good. Build quality is not as good as Canon's L lens. Feel like it will break if I drop it. The aperture blades lag if you turns quick. I have to open the lens and fix it myself by increasing the aperture blades' spring's tension.

DavidJames

PostMon Jun 10, 2013 3:10 am

Ben Wells wrote:If you had $2k for 1 lens to do a majority of your work, what would you recommend? I shoot scripted controlled narrative.

If its a controlled narrative, I'd go primes and 2k will get you far. All my wide zooms (17-35, 24-70 and 24-105) get barrel distortion that I hate when I have a prime I can go to.
I've got a fast Contax Zeiss set but a f2.8 set can be had for 2K. I'd go 28,35,50,85,135. Add to it matched step-up ring, lens caps and zip gears and adapters. Then de-click the aperture and you are on your way.

Zooms are easy and I use them all the time for fast cheap work, but primes always shine through.
thekreative
www.thekreative.com

rick.lang

PostMon Jun 10, 2013 4:34 am

bruce wrote:I got the samyang 24mm. It is very sharp at t2.8-t8. Soft at t1.5 and ok at t2. Don't know about the other samyangs'. But the 24mm is very good. Build quality is not as good as Canon's L lens. Feel like it will break if I drop it. The aperture blades lag if you turns quick. I have to open the lens and fix it myself by increasing the aperture blades' spring's tension.

I have heard that the 35mm and 85mm Samyang/Rokinon are sharper than the 24mm. So you would probably be happy with those as well. But somewhat frustrating if you try to put together a set since their 14mm lens is slow compared to the others and they don't offer a 50mm which would be perfect for medium and closer shots.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Ben Wells

PostMon Jun 10, 2013 4:35 am

Thank you for all of the great information.

-Ben

sambak

PostMon Jun 10, 2013 7:43 am

bruce wrote:I got the samyang 24mm. It is very sharp at t2.8-t8. Soft at t1.5 and ok at t2. Don't know about the other samyangs'. But the 24mm is very good. Build quality is not as good as Canon's L lens. Feel like it will break if I drop it. The aperture blades lag if you turns quick. I have to open the lens and fix it myself by increasing the aperture blades' spring's tension.

You can also try old Nikon primes 24, 35, 50, 85. I have just bought myself a set of these and i loved their performance. This set of four lenses costs me around a 500$ (used) and they are all manual lenses which is good for a camera like the upcoming BMPC 4k, as we have seen the internal aperture control of these cameras are problematic so its better having manual lenses. Also these lenses are abundantly available on many sites these days and they are unbelievably cheap too. You can make use of them just by adding a cheap adapter and you are good to go.

Uli Plank

PostMon Jun 10, 2013 11:30 am

The Samyang 14mm is pretty weak, the others are quite good for the money, but the 35 has massive breathing.

IMHO, the 85mm is the best.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

João Gomes

PostMon Jun 10, 2013 1:05 pm

I´m using:

Tokina 11-16mm f2.8
Zeiss ZF 25mm f2
Pentax 50mm f1.2 or Helios 58mm f2
Helios 85mm f1.5
Carl Zeiss Jena 135mm f3.5 or Helios 135mm f2.8 (faster but terrible coating)
Pentacon 300mm f4

I also have a very useful Canon 18-200 f3.5-5.6, pretty bad light falloff around the edges but the IS might come in handy.

Except for the Zeiss ZF 25mm f2, all of these lenses are under 1k and i´m pretty happy with the results i get with them on my 7D.
Cameraman/Editor

Chris Holt

PostMon Jun 10, 2013 1:38 pm

I have the 4k on order, as well.

For me :
Currently own

Zeiss ZF 50mm 1.4
Zeiss ZF 35mm 2.8 (Both ZFs are "duclos'd")
Rokinon 85mm Cine
Rokinon 8mm Fish 3.8 Cine
Nikkor 105mm AF 2.5
Tokina AT-X Pro II 28-70mm 2.8
Sigma 10-20mm 3.5 (Underrated lens IMO)
Rokinon 8mm

Want
I'm not sure- probably ..
Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 or the Canon equivalent.
The faster 18-35 is intriguing, but I would like to get longer than 35 at the end.
I suppose I'll need a longer zoom at some point (something in the 70-200 range)

I'll miss my Voigtlander 25 Nokton a bit.

On a related note, having the Sigma 10-20, the barrel barely extends (about 3/8") Does anyone know how much the 17-50/55 zooms extend? I want to use my mattebox with filters.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostMon Jun 10, 2013 2:43 pm

I'm currently leaning toward the Sigma 17-50 f2.8 IS. About half the cost (including lens hood, caps & case) of the similar Canon non-L, and most user reports are positive about it.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/6 ... EX_DC.html

My hope is that the Sigma will be a good, general-purpose, all-around lens for sit-down interviews, b-roll, and occasional handheld shooting.

Again, I'll wait until I have my BMPC-4K in-hand before buying any new lenses.

-

Chris Holt

PostMon Jun 10, 2013 3:30 pm

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:Again, I'll wait until I have my BMPC-4K in-hand before buying any new lenses.

-

Same here but, I'd like to get an idea of where I'm heading and what I need to "prepare for" price wise.

sambak

PostMon Jun 10, 2013 6:16 pm

rick.lang wrote:

I have heard that the 35mm and 85mm Samyang/Rokinon are sharper than the 24mm. So you would probably be happy with those as well. But somewhat frustrating if you try to put together a set since their 14mm lens is slow compared to the others and they don't offer a 50mm which would be perfect for medium and closer shots.

Rick Lang

"Samyang 24mm isn't as sharp as Samyang 35mm and 85mm"
is that true Rick? can u please post some links here?
Coz i have got my 85mm already and m now planning to buy Samyang 24mm any time this week.

Thanx

Scott Pultz

PostTue Jun 11, 2013 10:07 am

sambak wrote:
rick.lang wrote:

Rick Lang

"Samyang 24mm isn't as sharp as Samyang 35mm and 85mm"
is that true Rick? can u please post some links here?
Coz i have got my 85mm already and m now planning to buy Samyang 24mm any time this week.

Thanx

I have both lenses. The 35mm is sharper comparing 1:1, although the 24mm is performing pretty well for me.

William Carswell

PostTue Jun 11, 2013 10:44 am

With a crop factor of 1.65, wouldn't a 35mm be an odd-sized lens?

Maybe the Voigtlander 28mm f/2.8 Color Skopar SL II (Canon or Nikon mount) would be a better choice?

sambak

PostTue Jun 11, 2013 6:53 pm

I have both lenses. The 35mm is sharper comparing 1:1, although the 24mm is performing pretty well for me.

Thanx buddy!

which camera do you use BTW? what would be the approx FOV on a camera with S35 sensor like the BMPC 4k?

rick.lang

PostTue Jun 11, 2013 7:15 pm

rockroadpix wrote:I have the 4k on order, as well.

On a related note, having the Sigma 10-20, the barrel barely extends (about 3/8") Does anyone know how much the 17-50/55 zooms extend? I want to use my mattebox with filters.

You can see it normal and extended on the German Photozone website.

Rick Lang
Rick Lang

Robert Bentley

PostFri Jun 14, 2013 1:10 pm

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:

Probably the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Zoom Lens with IS:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4 ... _8_IS.html

Or, if you don't want IS, then ...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?at ... 4291570227

... or you may prefer something wider, or longer, etc. (if it exists within your budget) ...

... if the lens(es) prove compatible with the BMPC-4K once it ships. Please don't buy a lens for a camera you don't already have in-hand, so you can return the lens or camera if you don't like their performance together.

Cheers.

This is really good advice, never thought about it. Better to wait and get the lens so you're still in the window of returning it if it doesn't work with your camera.

sambak

PostThu Aug 01, 2013 2:12 pm

Canon EF-S 15-85??

Sean Talbott

PostFri Aug 02, 2013 6:15 am

On a budget, you'd be hard pressed to finder more pleasing glass than the zeiss zf.2 (nikon mount) lenses. They can be Canon mounted with a simple adaptor. I use one from fotodiox. Ziess made these lenses for film/video, they actually have the same glass as the Zeiss CP.2 cine lenses, just housed differently.

sebasti

PostFri Aug 02, 2013 6:41 am

I'm gonna share my post from the other topic to here too:

Nikon mount lenses focus the wrong way. If you only use your lenses or can use follow focus with reverse gear then this may not be a problem. But if you use other lenses like Canon still lenses, any cinema lens or broadcast cameras/lenses you will get confused when your gut feeling tells you to turn it other way than you are supposed to. So if you learn to focus the wrong way and you get chance to shoot with proper lenses, you might have lots of problems trying to stay in focus.

If you want manual aperture ring you can go with old Zeiss C/Y lenses or Leica R lenses. These lenses also focus the same way with the real cinema lenses (and Canon still lenses). (Leica zooms zoom the wrong way but that's only problem if you run'n'gun and rely more on your feeling to zoom and compose shots quickly on the fly. I haven't check if old Zeiss zoom's zoom the right way or not. New Sony lenses both A and E mount zoom the wrong way, not sure about the focus there).

I've owned set of old Zeiss C/Ys, then new Zeiss ZEs and now old Leica Rs. While I haven't yet had chance to shoot a real project with Leicas they seem to have more film like feeling on my test shots, creamy image that looks bit warmer. New Zeiss lenses are super sharp and they are bit cold in color. They are almost too sharp which gives easily the video-style look. Old Zeiss C/Ys are also cold in colour but not as sharp as the new Zeiss ZEs or ZFs, especially in the corners that you might find distracting compared to modern look, I'm not sure how Leicas compare to C/Ys in corner sharpness. But if you look movies made in 70s and 80s you will find the C/Y lenses have almost the same look (especially in those corner of wider angles) since the glass is the same with the old Zeiss movie lenses same way as new ZEs and ZFs have the same glass with CP2s. Leica's are said to produce look near Panavision primes which also used Leica glass.

If you get Zeiss C/Y lenses you can probably get off bit cheaper (if buy 1.4 glass, but can save more if going with slower models) than buying new ZEs or ZFs and I would guess that if you later sell them they hold their value lot better. If Zeiss ends up replacing the whole line up with lenses similar than their new 55mm prototype then the current line up prices will crash if you ever want to sell them. Buying old Zeiss C/Y or Leica R lenses is tricky, good units cost more and you have to be careful to check there's no problems with lenses that are 20-30 years old. You can find Leica R lenses that are made in this millennium but they will cost many times more than the older ones. If you want more cinematic style lenses there's a rehousing shop glcinemod.com in China that puts these old C/Y lenses in to new housing, like Duclos cinemod but on steroids. If you go with C/Y lenses make sure you do more research on them, especially on ninja-star aperture to avoid disappointments. I wish I had had chance to really break in my Leica Rs to give better opinion them but so far I haven't. If you go with Leica R road, then you have to pay lot more than new ZEs or ZFs would be (but you can still get reasonable prices if you go with summicron road instead of faster summilux). Both Zeiss C/Y lenses and Leica R lenses have had huge price inflation in recent years due to this DSLR filmmaking boom. For compatibility with DSLRs if you have to use one as a B-cam, you can check pebbleplace.com. If you just going to use Blackmagic or other video/digital film cameras then you don't have to worry about compatibility... they all will work with proper adapters. But putting these on Nikon cameras probably needs replaced mount, not just an adapter.

Return to Cinematography