BRAW 1.5.1 Premiere Pro HFR issue

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Dennis Sørensen

BRAW 1.5.1 Premiere Pro HFR issue

PostMon Nov 04, 2019 3:51 pm

Hi. I am having issue with what I believe is HFR in Premiere Pro.

I am having trouble seemingly from out of nowhere. I have not updated Windows, Premiere nor any drivers (incl. GPU).

The project was already well underway and no problem. Then a new day arrives and I import new footage (mostly 50fps) and suddenly my computer cannot playback the braw clips in premiere. They stutter. Like its running 5fps or something. But Premiere is not reporting any dropped frames and my machine is not pushed in anyway - there is a lot of performance headroom. Its like it happend after I imported 50fps footage, but it happens to all footage now. both 25fps and 50fps.

Now my old braw clips show the same meta data: "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..”

Thanks.

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

Re: BRAW 1.5.1 Premiere Pro HFR issue

PostTue Nov 05, 2019 7:06 pm

Hi, can you try 1.5.2?
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Dennis Sørensen

PostTue Nov 05, 2019 11:15 pm

There appear to be no difference with 1.5.2

But now I cant even import new 50fps footage.

When I make a new project and only import 25fps footage, there is no problems with the project. I can playback with no problem. If I import new 50fps footage into this project, Premiere Pro hangs, then crashes.

If I create a new project with no footage and then import 50fps footage, it hangs, and crashes.
Last edited by Dennis Sørensen on Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Nov 05, 2019 11:19 pm

What are the specs of your setup?
GPU, driver version, OS version.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Dennis Sørensen

PostTue Nov 05, 2019 11:33 pm

So as I was testing the new project (because maybe I just needed to make a new one - not ideal, as I have multiple project already ongoing). I saw that some of the BRAW files I got from my card are less than 7kb.. and sure enough. When I import those, Premiere cashes as discribed. The funny thing is that it also happens with a random file that is 27mb. This is a project I recorded in Q5.

They are here for sharing: https://we.tl/t-xpfrVviPR9

So that explains why new project are cashing. But it does not explain why my old project that were fine with 1.5 (execpt for all the bugs you fixed with 1.5.1) also doesnt work now.

Spec: (More than enough for Premiere Pro)
Intel i9 9900K @Stock
Asrock Z390 Phantom gaming ITX/ac
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz 2x16GB
Asus Geforce GTX 1060 6GB (the cheap "dual") (driver 24.21.9924 - Geforece 399.24)
Samsung 970 Evo 500GB (system)
Samsung 970 PRO 1TB (project files and cache)
Corsair SF600 PSU
Windows 10 Pro - version 1903 build 18362.418

EDIT:

Removing those currupted files from the folder and then making them offline in the Premiere fixed this project! I can now work on it where I left it.

However! Some of the older project I also was working on does still not work. I know these project were working "fine" with 1.5 (of cause except for all the known bugs). Now the project is demonstrating the same behavior as the other I have been talking about. As soon as I open the project and try to playback some of these files I get: "A low-level exceotion occurred in: BRAW Studio Source Settings (AEVideoFilter:5)" and it crashes.

EDIT 2:

Nope, it did not. As soon as I closed the project and opened it up again the playback stutter was there again and the raw settings stil just shows "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"...

:?: :?: :?: :shock: :o

Dennis Sørensen

PostWed Nov 06, 2019 12:22 am

That was a mess.. To sum up. If I create new project it seems fine...... for now, as long as I do not import those currupted files (which I still cant explain what are). So for future project I think I can move on.

But I am still having massive issues with older project (that are not done and cannot be easily recut). Some cannot play at all (crashes as soon as I try to play the media in the program monitor - timeline just shows black video), and other stutter when playback (both program monitor, timeline and the whole program in general) and shows "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" metadata or locked metadata where I cannot change the raw settings (the fields are locked).

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Nov 06, 2019 1:36 am

Your error mentioned above says "BRAW Studio Source Settings" which is the Autokroma plugin. Did you start those projects with that plugin? You can't really swap plugins mid-project or have both plugins installed at the same time (Premiere tries to use both at times).

You can try go back to the Autokroma plugin for those projects - you can remove our plugins from here:
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\7.0\MediaCore.

If you want to use our for new projects its safer to make sure just ours is installed and not both.

Dennis Sørensen

PostWed Nov 06, 2019 11:09 am

I dont understand why it says that. I had the Autokroma tool installed for a day to try it out (only trial) (It was before the Premiere Pro plugin even came out). Then I uninstalled it. I havent used it on that project at all. It was pure BMD RAW 1.5.

EDIT: I found that some files from Autokroma was left by the uninstaller.

I guess when I updated to 1.5.1 from 1.5 it must have mixed some of those files. As said. I did not use Autokroma for this project, and it was a long time ago since I uninstalled it. So I dont really understand how it got sucked into that project.

Dennis Sørensen

PostWed Nov 06, 2019 12:18 pm

This is getting worse and worse.

As said. I removed the left over files I found from the Autokroma plugin. Then all of the sudden Premiere Pro wouldnt regonise braw any more.

So i also removed Blackmagic RAW 1.5.2 with its uninstaller. Double checked that the files were gone. Restarted. Installed Blackmagic RAW 1.5.2 again. Made a new project, and now it still does not recognise braw.

What in the world is going on here????? I am very tech savvy. I have been born with a PC in my hands and even have a degree in it. But I cannot for the life of me understand any of this.

Dennis Sørensen

PostWed Nov 06, 2019 12:25 pm

I can make a new project and import files from other projects (mov and braw). Somehow the previous project has destroyed the .braw files as when I try to import those braw files, I get that message.

How does that even work?.. The braw files even plays in the Windows braw player. But as soon as I try to import those specific files into any project (new or excisting ones) I get the above error.

antoine

PostWed Nov 06, 2019 1:32 pm

Which files exactly were left by our uninstaller ? Just tested it again and don't see anything wrong. If there is nothing when you search "BRAW_Studio" into C:\Program Files\Adobe then BRAW Studio is gone

If you can't import a specific .braw could you try to send it to us ? Thanks
BRAW Studio FREE and Premium for Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects, with a brand new Desktop .BRAW Player and Color Grader, as well as an automatic White Balance Color Picker tool

antoine

PostWed Nov 06, 2019 1:39 pm

I've seen the "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" bug myself in BMD plugin it has nothing to do with BRAW Studio. We know how Premiere Pro behaves and we worked around something related to this bug in our plugin, we think it's a bug from Blackmagic plugin. For your .braw shared on WeTransfer they seem to be corrupted.

If there's anything we can do to help please tell us

Regards,
Antoine
BRAW Studio FREE and Premium for Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects, with a brand new Desktop .BRAW Player and Color Grader, as well as an automatic White Balance Color Picker tool

Richard Knight

PostWed Nov 06, 2019 1:49 pm

Do you have Premiere CS6 installed?

Dennis Sørensen

PostWed Nov 06, 2019 2:08 pm

antoine wrote:Which files exactly were left by our uninstaller ? Just tested it again and don't see anything wrong. If there is nothing when you search "BRAW_Studio" into C:\Program Files\Adobe then BRAW Studio is gone

If you can't import a specific .braw could you try to send it to us ? Thanks

Inside C:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\7.0\MediaCore\ i found a whole folder called BRAW studio with BlackmagicRawAPI.dll, BRAW_Studio.prm and BRAW_Studio_Source_Settings.aex

This caused me to lose a whole project I had to redo all over.

Richard Knight wrote:Do you have Premiere CS6 installed?

Nope.

CaptainHook wrote:

So I finally removed the fault caused by Autokroma. Now we only need to fix the original problem I wrote about. The dreaded playback stutter and the "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" metadata that is locked.

damonbiv

PostWed Nov 06, 2019 8:18 pm

Dennis,
I'm having the same exact problem and in on a Mac running mojave and the newest version of premier. I've got a bunch of different clips that are having the same problem. I do have backups of the footage from production day though.

My framerate is 23.98 though, I don't think it has to do with fr.

I speculate it has something to do with broken metadata as well. Have you noticed anything weird with the file permissions on the braw footage? We're you able to shoot out a progress file from media encoder?
Damon

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Nov 06, 2019 8:28 pm

Dennis Sørensen wrote:So I finally removed the fault caused by Autokroma. Now we only need to fix the original problem I wrote about. The dreaded playback stutter and the "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" metadata that is locked.

Can you send me this premiere project and just ONE of the clips that is causing the issue (smallest valid clip)? That it doesn't happen in new projects for you makes it otherwise difficult to diagnose the issue in this project file, but it obviously got a little messed up as Premiere doesn't like when there are both plugins around which is why we say you can't have both installed.

Also based on your screenshot above, it looks like you have non-english unicode chars in your clip paths? There is still an outstanding bug based on that if so to rule it out could you try rename the file path and relink in Premiere?

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=101419

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Nov 06, 2019 8:29 pm

damonbiv wrote:Dennis,
I'm having the same exact problem and in on a Mac running mojave and the newest version of premier. I've got a bunch of different clips that are having the same problem. I do have backups of the footage from production day though.

Please send through a project showing the issue as requested in your thread.

antoine

PostWed Nov 06, 2019 11:20 pm

Dennis Sørensen wrote:Inside C:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\7.0\MediaCore\ i found a whole folder called BRAW studio with BlackmagicRawAPI.dll, BRAW_Studio.prm and BRAW_Studio_Source_Settings.aex

This caused me to lose a whole project I had to redo all over.

We're sorry about the time you lost dealing with this issue. I think the uninstaller you used was an old one and the recents installers do delete this folder. Just saying that in case someone reading this post is wondering and trying to find a solution (the uninstaller is the installer with a special checkbox to uninstall, no uninstaller is installed with BRAW Studio one needs to redownload our installer).

That said, Blackmagic plugin takes priority over BRAW Studio and the conflict is about switching a whole PPro project from one plugin to another, irrespective of the fact that there was an older BRAW Studio in the MediaCore folder.

Dennis Sørensen

PostThu Nov 07, 2019 12:13 am

damonbiv wrote:Dennis,
I'm having the same exact problem...

..My framerate is 23.98 though, I don't think it has to do with fr.

I speculate it has something to do with broken metadata as well. Have you noticed anything weird with the file permissions on the braw footage? We're you able to shoot out a progress file from media encoder?
Damon

My problem first started when I imported HFR footage from another days shoot. So two things happend. The date changed and the framerate changed. I dont see any other things have changed. No driver update, no app update, no windows update (that I am aware of). I generally dont change my hardware/software when I am in the middle of a shoot, because this can happen.

Funny thing.. Now this is pretty long into this thread. But as said, I had some currupt files (I dont know what casued them to excist) and I guess that is what generated the error in the beginning. Because as said, if I make a new project file and import the same footage (without the currupted ones), I do not get this error - not yet atleast! In fact I just tried, and after the cleanup of the Autokroma plugin and installing 1.5.2 I cant even import the currupted files any longer. They now get reported as "Unsupported format or damaged file." Just as my previous picture stated.

Did you perhaps in anyway have BRAW Studio installed at some point? You dont also have some left over files from it?

CaptainHook wrote:Can you send me this premiere project and..

..Also based on your screenshot above, it looks like you have non-english unicode chars in your clip paths?..

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=101419

Sure. I will send you a project with two braw files. One that has the meta locked, and one where the metadata says "aaaaaaaaaaaaa..." You can get it here: http://gofile.me/21QVJ/d1SCeHdwH
Password is in a PM.

Oh wow. Must have missed it. I almost never use any regional characters (I have a degree in coding, so know the problems it can cause on rare occautions). But will be more aware of that in the future! The project is deleted and have been redone, because I couldn't wait. But thanks for you answer anyway.

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Nov 07, 2019 2:21 am

Thanks, we'll have a look

kevinatbcp

PostMon Nov 11, 2019 11:46 pm

BRAW 1.52 PPro Win 10.png
BRAW 1.52 PPro Win 10.png (49.52 KiB) Viewed 9599 times
Just wanted to chime in to say I have the same experience with both 1.5.1 and 1.5.2 on Windows 10. Attached is a screen shot from my bin. I have the issue on both HFR and 23.98 clips.

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Nov 12, 2019 12:20 am

Based on the project Dennis supplied above, we should have a solution for this in the next update.

Dennis Sørensen

PostTue Nov 12, 2019 9:55 am

CaptainHook wrote:Based on the project Dennis supplied above, we should have a solution for this in the next update.

Can you comment on why it happens so we can try to avoid it in the meantime.

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Nov 12, 2019 11:16 pm

In your case it was mostly due to having both plugins around at the same time and the project file getting saved in this confused state. Our next version should be more robust against this, but we've also seen from some other project files sent to us that some of the handling when changing the location of files (moving the files after you've started the project) can go bad and has similar symptoms you had (different cause though) so that should be addressed in the next update also.

Dennis Sørensen

PostWed Nov 13, 2019 1:49 pm

CaptainHook wrote:In your case it was mostly due to having both plugins around at the same time and the project file getting saved in this confused state. Our next version should be more robust against this, but we've also seen from some other project files sent to us that some of the handling when changing the location of files (moving the files after you've started the project) can go bad and has similar symptoms you had (different cause though) so that should be addressed in the next update also.

Thank you for your time and answer! Sorry for all the trouble I have caused. The funny thing is that, the project was working fine before I started importing the new footage. It's very weird.

So to anybody reading this, experiencing the same error. To be clear. I HAD uninstalled the BRAW Studio plugin before I even started this project, but it left some files after uninstallation. So check your install directory to see if there are any files left over. I'm on Windows 10, but I have heard from others that it is even worse if you have Mac. So check your plugin install path.

antoine

PostWed Nov 13, 2019 9:58 pm

And use our most recent uninstaller available on our website inside the official Installer. If anyone reading this has an issue, contact us. Thanks!

pookiethegreat

PostSun Nov 17, 2019 11:04 am

CaptainHook, do you know when this next update you referred to will be released? I've never had BRAW Studio installed on this windows build, and the "aaaaaaaaaa" issue popped up randomly for braw files in one specific folder. but everything in the other folders are fine. I haven't added anything new to the project, this just started happening out of the blue.

This is a big project and I need to get this turned around so any advice or ideas on a patch coming out would be great

antoine

PostMon Nov 18, 2019 10:48 pm

Tomas you could try to make all .braw clips offline, save the project, restart Premiere Pro, reopen the project and link offlined .braw back to their original filepath. Maybe that would work

pookiethegreat

PostWed Nov 27, 2019 8:38 pm

Thank you to the devs who released an update in such a timely manner! My metadata issues are completely resolved with the 1.6 update released yesterday!

Return to Post Production