Showing Waveforms = Crashing Davinci

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jack Stall

Showing Waveforms = Crashing Davinci

PostThu Nov 07, 2019 6:10 am

Hey guys,

got a huge HUGE issue here.... Preventing me from finishing my work. When I am working without waveforms its all good. Once I turn it on - it usually crashes right away. Sometimes it doesnt and only crashes when I zoom in zoom out timeline. Sometimes it simply crashes after like 10 minutes working. But its always related to waveforms...

I tried deleting cache folder content, moving it to other drives and so on... Didnt help. I have only one drive in media and thats the one I have my cache folder in. Nothing helps here. I tried to disable dual screen - doesnt help... Could you guys help?

Few points: I do NOT have 2 graphic cards (not even an integrated one) and yes I do use dualscreen but turning it off didnt help...

My specs:

AMD Ryzen 9 3900x
32 GB Ram 3200MHz
Nvidia 1050 Titan 4GB
Windows 10 latest update
Davinci Resolve Studio 16.1.1

Also - here is my log...
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-_ 70245,48.zip
(982.53 KiB) Downloaded 301 times

Jack Stall

Re: Showing Waveforms = Crashing Davinci

PostThu Nov 07, 2019 6:17 am

Also - in logs the only error I can see is this:

[0x00003060] | SyManager.DeckLink | ERROR | 2019-11-07 06:43:29,378 | Failed to create instance.

Jack Stall

PostThu Nov 07, 2019 9:56 am

Damn it what an unusable piece of.... Sry... Probably not a software problem anyway although... Not sure... To be honest it is starting to feel like its a graphics card issue. When I display waveforms and then zoom in zoom out its unable to render the timeline properly or something and it gets stuck. I also found out that not even BRAW is working properly.

In my project I have super old Hi8 material converted to some ******* old codec and its combined a lot with BMPCC4K BRAW. For god knows what reason the braw works ok for lets say 10 minutes and then it bugs itself (it happens on braw no idea why) and I have to kill it and launch again...

So - waveforms causeing crashes and braw as well. When I disabled gpu processing of braw it looks like it stopped but it is overal way slower...

Btw - I reinstalled my gpu drivers twice today. First one was studio driver, now I am on gaming driver (was desperate to try something). Didnt help...

I also tried to export the project, create a new DB and import it. Didnt help. Nothing helps... :evil:

EDIT: Somewhere around 30 I stopped counting all the crashes... :(

Jack Stall

PostThu Nov 07, 2019 10:03 am

Another log here...
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-_110230,64.zip
(110.97 KiB) Downloaded 133 times

Michael_Andreas

PostThu Nov 07, 2019 12:53 pm

Have you tried reverting to Studio Driver 431.86?

That might fix your GPU decode of BMRAW. Wonder about the waveforms. Please let us know.

Jack Stall

PostThu Nov 07, 2019 4:34 pm

Didn't find anything about the waveforms.... Still happening...

Michael_Andreas

PostThu Nov 07, 2019 4:56 pm

Did you install the NVIDIA driver version I recommended? Did it allow you to use GPU decoding?

Michael_Andreas

PostThu Nov 07, 2019 5:40 pm

I took a look at waveforms, and by that I think you mean audio waveforms and NOT scope waveforms.

I was not able to get a waveform over the thumbnail in the Media Page even with Show Audio Waveforms turned on in the Media Pool ... menu.

In the Media page viewer menu I found options for showing the audio waveform superimposed in green at the bottom of the viewer.

In the Edit page, the audio track shows waveforms.

As to the crashing behavior, I doubt that the waveforms have anything to do with the crash. That would be the BRAW GPU decode issue, which didn't really cause a crash for me, rather it caused DR to freeze. When I think "crash", I think total crash, burn, and disappear.

Jack Stall

PostTue Nov 12, 2019 8:20 am

Hey Michael yes you are right I guess... I found numerous bugs causing crashes and / or freezing though... I mean - I was on v15 for a long time and it was super stable. I started having problems with v16...

To be honest - damaged project or not - the software should not allow me to damage the project in a first place! I was on edius years before and it never EVER happened there...

So - I figured out the BRAW problem - rolled my drivers back a bit and it works.

I also found out that when you use Text+ and then create a compound clip from it - it is working badly as well. Rendering a video always stopped at 30% exactly so I started to investigate - found out that out of 5 Text+ positions - 1 of them was not able to be rendered. It always stopped on this no matter what (despite the fact that it did render out the previous ones). When I decomposed the compound clip it rendered it out OK... So thats another bug.

And I still didnt figure out the waveforms. Yes I was talking about audio waveforms in edit - timeline. When I turn it on the davinci crashes. I must say it was a pain to make some audio mastering given the fact that I couldnt use a standard volume spline (cause its not visible when waveforms are off) and I had to use the animation window in timeline to do that. But this is something happening in this particular project and I am not really sure if it was caused by BRAW. Will try to find out.

But overall - how is it even possible that those things happen? I mean yeah its great that we get a ton of new features with every release but I think everyone would rather have a stability over this... How can I ever rely on an editor like that? :( Sorry I am bit disappointed now... I purchased a BMPCC 4K because well - its a great camera and now I am forced to use davinci and my director doesnt wanna work with this camera anymore because of that... Because we lost a huge amount of time thanks to davinci crashing all the time... :cry:

Return to DaVinci Resolve