Power computing and DaVinci Resolve

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Francesco Bollorino

Power computing and DaVinci Resolve

PostFri Nov 08, 2019 4:58 am

Waiting to migrate to the PC-WIN world for obvious problems of cost / quality in the Mac world where I have always worked, in order to better understand the optimal configuration of my next computer dedicated to editing I asked myself a series of questions on the OPTIMAL configuration to have a machine that lasts the best for a reasonable number of years considering the fact that after the acquisition of the BMPCC4K I will essentially work in 4K.
From what I understand, for some time, DAVINCI can be considered a suite of programs assembled together rather than a single program, and I understand that this suite now rests time to time on the CPU now on the GPU.
In my videos I regularly use effects and color correction (all the things I saw on my current Mac (Imac 2013, 32GB of RAM) slow down the rendering speed and, in some cases, even the intra-program vision of the mounted ones) and so it seems to me that we end up taking advantage of both the CPU and the GPU, hence the questions also born from in-depth but not clarifying readings on the net:
a) I don't think I have doubts about the need to mount 3 GPUs to be used in series at the moment it seems to me that the best solution is the RTX 2080TI. Do you have alternative opinions? What do you think of AMD especially when associated with the latest generation AMD CPU?
b) I don't think we get less than 128GB of Ram. Agree?
c) on which CPU to lean to be really sure of a good speed under heavy loads? INTEL or the new Ryzen AMD?
I await competent advice
thanks
Francesco Bollorino
Editor of Psychiatry on line Italia
Thematic Channel on Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/PsychiatryonlineITA1

Carsten Sellberg

Re: Power computing and DaVinci Resolve

PostFri Nov 08, 2019 11:21 am

Francesco Bollorino wrote: a machine that lasts the best for a reasonable number of years

I don't think I have doubts about the need to mount 3 GPUs to be used in series at the moment
it seems to me that the best solution is the RTX 2080TI.

a good speed under heavy loads? INTEL or the new Ryzen AMD?

Hi Francesco.

I am sorry to tell you, but as I see the future will it NOT be possible to get a PC today, that also will be the best for more than two years.
My rekommandation will be to buy what you need today, and then expect to upgrade. Or may be buy a cheaper 2nd hand and expect to buy a new TOP PC in two years.

For CPU's are AMD ahead of Intel. Intel have for the last 5 years tried to go from the 14nm process node and to the 10nm process node and failed. Today they promisse a few low core 10nm variants, but they are behind. AMD have here in 2019 changed all its new CPU to the 7nm process node.

AMD also changed the border between its mainline Ryzen CPU's and its Ryzen Threadripper HEDT TOP CPU's up. So from November 25th can we either choose a Top Mainline Ryzen CPU with 12 or 16 cores or a Ryzen Threadripper CPU with 24 cores for Resolve. Which to choose will normally depend on how many PCI lanes you need.

I have NOT seen Black Magic recommend dual or triple GPU for some time. Instead have I seen rekommandation for a single TOP GPU.
I expect 2020 will be the year for new Graphics Cards. We expect the first 7nm nVidea Graphics Card, the High End AMD Navi Graphics Card and the first Intel plug in Graphics Cards.

I also expect soon to se the first version of Resolve using serveral GPU's, NOT as individual GPU's, but as ONE GPU. The first GPU using this technologi will be the Radeon Pro Vega II Duo. The Radeon Instinct MI50 that only are sold to DataCenters are using the same technologi. But this will be the future of Resolve. I am sure more will follows.

Finally: I expect the AMD CPU and it motherboards will change to the faster PCI ver 5.0 and DDR5 Ram around 2021. And I can't see the successor to the Radeon Pro Vega II Duo NOT to arrive before. So I im sorry, but I can't see it can be a good idea to buy a TOP PC now and expect it to last.

My rekommandation will be to buy what you need today, and then expect to upgrade. Or may be buy a cheaper 2nd hand PC and expect to buy a new TOP PC in two years.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

MishaEngel

PostFri Nov 08, 2019 3:18 pm

PCPartPicker Part List: https://it.pcpartpicker.com/list/d3Fb8M

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor (€630.00 @ Amazon Italia)
Pretty fast with the upcoming BMD 8k https://techgage.com/viewimg/?img=https://techgage.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Blackmagic-RAW-Speed-Test-CPU-Performance-1.jpg&desc=Blackmagic%20RAW%20Speed%20Test%20CPU%20Performance
When you want more speed, wait for the 3950x

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.17 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (€134.90 @ Amazon Italia)
Good enough for the 3950x
Motherboard: ASRock X570 CREATOR ATX AM4 Motherboard (€508.76 @ Amazon Italia)
Includes 2 TB3 ports and 10G ethernet.
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (€349.99 @ Amazon Italia)
Enough for Resolve, when you use a lot of Fusion upgrade to 128GB
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (€108.07 @ Amazon Italia)
For software and OS
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (€409.99 @ Amazon Italia)
As scratch drive
Storage: Seagate IronWolf NAS 8 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€246.60 @ Amazon Italia)
Storage: Seagate IronWolf NAS 8 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€246.60 @ Amazon Italia)
For data storage in software raid 10. 16 TB of pretty fast en secure storage.
Video Card: XFX Radeon VII 16 GB Video Card (€649.00 @ Amazon Italia)
Best bang for the buck that can handle 8k with effects like TNR
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition ATX Mid Tower Case (€154.11 @ Amazon Italia)
Just a case
Power Supply: Enermax MaxTytan 800 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€188.90 @ Amazon Italia)
Best bang for the buck Titanium certified PSU

Total: €4120.12
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-08 16:02 CET+0100

https://it.pcpartpicker.com/list/d3Fb8M

And you are still able to use it as a hackintosh https://github.com/AMD-OSX/AMD_Vanilla

Francesco Bollorino

PostFri Nov 08, 2019 4:13 pm

Carsten Sellberg wrote:
Francesco Bollorino wrote: a machine that lasts the best for a reasonable number of years

I don't think I have doubts about the need to mount 3 GPUs to be used in series at the moment

Hi Francesco.

I am sorry to tell you, but as I see the future will it NOT be possible to get a PC today, that also will be the best for more than two years.
My rekommandation will be to buy what you need today, and then expect to upgrade. Or may be buy a cheaper 2nd hand and expect to buy a new TOP PC in two years.

For CPU's are AMD ahead of Intel. Intel have for the last 5 years tried to go from the 14nm process node and to the 10nm process node and failed. Today they promisse a few low core 10nm variants, but they are behind. AMD have here in 2019 changed all its new CPU to the 7nm process node.

AMD also changed the border between its mainline Ryzen CPU's and its Ryzen Threadripper HEDT TOP CPU's up. So from November 25th can we either choose a Top Mainline Ryzen CPU with 12 or 16 cores or a Ryzen Threadripper CPU with 24 cores for Resolve. Which to choose will normally depend on how many PCI lanes you need.

I have NOT seen Black Magic recommend dual or triple GPU for some time. Instead have I seen rekommandation for a single TOP GPU.
I expect 2020 will be the year for new Graphics Cards. We expect the first 7nm nVidea Graphics Card, the High End AMD Navi Graphics Card and the first Intel plug in Graphics Cards.

I also expect soon to se the first version of Resolve using serveral GPU's, NOT as individual GPU's, but as ONE GPU. The first GPU using this technologi will be the Radeon Pro Vega II Duo. The Radeon Instinct MI50 that only are sold to DataCenters are using the same technologi. But this will be the future of Resolve. I am sure more will follows.

Finally: I expect the AMD CPU and it motherboards will change to the faster PCI ver 5.0 and DDR5 Ram around 2021. And I can't see the successor to the Radeon Pro Vega II Duo NOT to arrive before. So I im sorry, but I can't see it can be a good idea to buy a TOP PC now and expect it to last.

My rekommandation will be to buy what you need today, and then expect to upgrade. Or may be buy a cheaper 2nd hand PC and expect to buy a new TOP PC in two years.

Regards Carsten.

Thank you a lot.. as my Imac is really at the border of inneficiens due to its poor power I need to make my change in the first quarter of 2020. I will follow your suggestions I hope to be able to buy AND CPU and GPU hoping to be alowed to buy Radeon pro duo if this GPU wukk not an exclusive of Apple
Francesco Bollorino

Michael_Andreas

PostFri Nov 08, 2019 4:47 pm

I think the first criteria for a system is that it has to work properly with the camera files that you're going to be using, that is the software should not crash. If it meets that criteria but is on the slow side, maybe that's OK if you're just going to do an occasional video. So if a $2000 gaming computer or even cheaper meets your needs but is a bit slow on the render and needs optimized media while your editing, then that's what you should look at.

But if editing is your full-time job, then you should look at something more powerful and spending $6000 on a system that is responsive and reliable makes sense because time is money and you're going to be using it enough to get the value out of it.

I would start by downloading BM's Desktop Video package and running the Black Magic RAW Speed Test on your existing computer just to get a reference. Then look at articles for other systems to get an idea. Or my configuration which is over 3 years old, identified in my signature below, and I have run this test and here are my results:
BMRAWspeedtest191108.PNG
BMRAWspeedtest191108.PNG (205.66 KiB) Viewed 11561 times

How much RAM to get would be driven by how much you use Fusion. A motherboard that supports more than 64K will be more expensive. How much RAM do you have now and does it support how you use Fusion now?

Piotr Wozniacki

PostFri Nov 08, 2019 4:50 pm

Carsten Sellberg wrote:

Regards Carsten.

In spite of BMD pushing the single, powerful GPU concept over 2 or 3 "smaller" GPUs, I've been a happy user of 2x RTX 2080Ti and will most probably be adding a third one soon. Sure - my projects so far don't need more than just 11 GB of VRAM, but if this is the case with yours as well - I can wholeheartedly recommend this path instead of a single RTX Titan, or even the Quadro RTX!

Piotr
AMD TR 2990WX CPU | MSI X399 CARBON AC | 64GB RAM@XMP3200 | 2x RTX 2080Ti GPU | 4x 3TB WD Black RAID0 media drive | 3x 1TB NVMe RAID0 cache drive | SSD SATA system drive | AX1600i PSU | Decklink 12G Extreme | Samsung UHD reference monitor (calibrated)

Jim Simon

PostFri Nov 08, 2019 5:03 pm

Piotr Wozniacki wrote:my projects so far don't need more than just 11 GB of VRAM

From what I've read, the memory doesn't get pooled. You're limited to the lowest GPU memory available.

Not true?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Piotr Wozniacki

PostFri Nov 08, 2019 5:22 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
Piotr Wozniacki wrote:my projects so far don't need more than just 11 GB of VRAM

From what I've read, the memory doesn't get pooled. You're limited to the lowest GPU memory available.

Not true?

True - that's exactly what I mean; even with 3x 2080ti Resolve still can only access the 11GB each of those cards have. So, the only advantage of a Quadro or Titan RTX over a single 2080Ti is its 24GB of VRAM, which I happen to never need. So, I prefer almost 3x the speed I can get with 3x 2080tis, even though I can only use 11 GB - I'm just lucky enough that's enough for me (oh, and I don't do Fusion very much, just same basic stuff it offers is all I need)!

Piotr
AMD TR 2990WX CPU | MSI X399 CARBON AC | 64GB RAM@XMP3200 | 2x RTX 2080Ti GPU | 4x 3TB WD Black RAID0 media drive | 3x 1TB NVMe RAID0 cache drive | SSD SATA system drive | AX1600i PSU | Decklink 12G Extreme | Samsung UHD reference monitor (calibrated)

Carsten Sellberg

PostFri Nov 08, 2019 5:37 pm

Carsten Sellberg wrote:I also expect soon to se the first version of Resolve using serveral GPU's, NOT as individual GPU's, but as ONE GPU. The first GPU using this technologi will be the Radeon Pro Vega II Duo. The Radeon Instinct MI50 that only are sold to DataCenters are using the same technologi. But this will be the future of Resolve. I am sure more will follows.

Hi.

With the Radeon Pro Vega II Duo and the Radeon Instinct MI50 Both vRam and OpenCL calculation will be pooled in a coming version of Resolve. That is the main reason that I recommend Francesco NOT to buy 3x RTX 2080 Ti.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Piotr Wozniacki

PostFri Nov 08, 2019 5:44 pm

Carsten Sellberg wrote:
Carsten Sellberg wrote:I also expect soon to se the first version of Resolve using serveral GPU's, NOT as individual GPU's, but as ONE GPU. The first GPU using this technologi will be the Radeon Pro Vega II Duo. The Radeon Instinct MI50 that only are sold to DataCenters are using the same technologi. But this will be the future of Resolve. I am sure more will follows.

Hi.

In the Radeon Pro Vega II Duo and the Radeon Instinct MI50 Both vRam and OpenCL calculation will be pooled. That is the main reason that I recommend Fransisco NOT to buy 3x RTX 2080 Ti.

Regards Carsten.

Very true, Carsten - and I really appreciate your technical knowledge. But you are selling the future here, and we all know that after that future another, still more clever, future comes in technology. I made up my mind half roughly a year ago, having bought what was the best solution then in my opinion - and never looked back.

Your advice have always been knowledgeable, but considering my specific situation I don't think I will be building another system soon (if at all). However if I were in Francisco's shoes, I'd follow your advise as both knowledgeable and reasonable!

Regards
Piotr
Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki on Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:37 am, edited 4 times in total.

Michael_Andreas

PostFri Nov 08, 2019 5:54 pm

I looked at a few videos the OP's YouTube channel http://www.youtube.com/PsychiatryonlineITA1

His YouTube videos are mostly talking heads at seminars and such, he has some nice titles on his videos. But I don't think he needs a $6000 computer to make his videos. A system such as I have identified in my signature but with a 2070 and a newer CPU should do nicely for him, maybe a $2000 gaming computer. I don't see why he'd need more than one GPU card.

My system is 3+ years old and while I keep up with hardware discussions I'm not ready to replace it yet. Maybe in a year or two.

kinvermark

PostFri Nov 08, 2019 6:28 pm

Any thoughts from you tech experts regarding the latest threadrippers and trx40 motherboards?

I know it's a little too early to judge, but seems like they may be a bit overpriced, and the chipset is not quite as advanced as I would have hoped. Like the OP, I a was thinking about going high-end, but only with longevity. That may not be possible.
Windows 10 laptop. Intel i7-10750H, 32GB RAM, Nvidia 4070 ti Super eGPU, SSD disks. Resolve Studio (latest)

MishaEngel

PostFri Nov 08, 2019 7:30 pm

kinvermark wrote:Any thoughts from you tech experts regarding the latest threadrippers and trx40 motherboards?

I know it's a little too early to judge, but seems like they may be a bit overpriced, and the chipset is not quite as advanced as I would have hoped. Like the OP, I a was thinking about going high-end, but only with longevity. That may not be possible.

What where your expectations?

Carsten Sellberg

PostFri Nov 08, 2019 7:46 pm

kinvermark wrote: but only with longevity. That may not be possible.

Hi.

In Resolve the CPU is used to run the app, disk I/O and compression and decompression of codecs.
Resolve does all its image processing in the GPU on the graphics card. More CUDA/OpenCL Cores are better.

And I will like to Quote:
'Obviously at some point the industry transitions to PCIe 5.0 and DDR5 which will necessitate a socket change.'

From an interview a year ago with AMD CTO and senior vice president Mark Papermaster.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13578/na ... apermaster

I am not sure if AMD will introduce PCIe 5.0 and DDR5 at the same time. But if they do will I expect it to happen in 2021.
So it will take 2 more years before the next socket. And to run the Resolve app, disk I/O and compression and decompression of codecs will I expect you will be able to do that without problems for at least a couple of years more. So I have no problem by recommending the new Ryzen or Threadripper CPU's.

But what about the GPU on the graphics card. It is here the Video Editing and Grading happen. Here do I expect more changes. A few months ago did I see an Apple demo of the coming Radeon Pro Vega II Duo streamed. It can only be a few months away now.

And here is a slide from AMD Hot Chips Keynote I want to share with you.

It show a Epyc CPU connected to 4 Radeon Instinct GPUs which all are interconnected by Infinity Fabric.

And at 05:25PM EDT did Lisa Su tell: 'These technologies might be designed for the high end HPC systems, these technologies filter down to commercial systems and next gen CPU/GPU'.

I expect this way to interconnect CPU's and several GPU will be the future way to do it for Resolve. For both AMD and Intel, which are working on their own kind of Interconnect.

But i have no indication of when, we will se it in Windows or Linux Systems.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

kinvermark

PostFri Nov 08, 2019 8:05 pm

Thanks Carsten!

As always, you have provided some very interesting information that is not obvious from the mainstream press.

I am not in a huge rush; just contemplating when is the right time to make a move. I was very happy with the mileage (almost 10 years) I got from my now "ancient" i7-980x system and would like to achieve the same thing again.

@Misha

No particular expectations. Honestly, I am just parroting some concerns expressed by early commentators. Maybe totally unfounded.

I guess in a month we will know for sure, but do you care to make a prediction regarding just how fast these threadrippers will be in Resolve? Only in the spirit of fun of course. Won't hold you to it. :)
Windows 10 laptop. Intel i7-10750H, 32GB RAM, Nvidia 4070 ti Super eGPU, SSD disks. Resolve Studio (latest)

MishaEngel

PostFri Nov 08, 2019 10:48 pm

kinvermark wrote:@Misha

No particular expectations. Honestly, I am just parroting some concerns expressed by early commentators. Maybe totally unfounded.

I guess in a month we will know for sure, but do you care to make a prediction regarding just how fast these threadrippers will be in Resolve? Only in the spirit of fun of course. Won't hold you to it. :)

Based on these figures https://techgage.com/news/testing-out-8k-blackmagic-raw-speed-test-on-fifteen-cpus/

On stock settings with a descent AIO 280mm cooler at full-res premium (no effects).

3900x $500
BRAW 8k 3:1 ~ 44 fps
BRAW 4k 3:1 ~ 176 fps
8k .R3D 5:1 ~ 23 fps

3950x $750
BRAW 8k 3:1 ~ 55 fps
BRAW 4k 3:1 ~ 220 fps
8k .R3D 5:1 ~ 30 fps

3960x $1400
BRAW 8k 3:1 ~ 85 fps
BRAW 4k 3:1 ~ 340 fps
8k .R3D 5:1 ~ 45 fps

3970x $2000
BRAW 8k 3:1 ~ 105 fps
BRAW 4k 3:1 ~ 420 fps
8k .R3D 5:1 ~ 55 fps
Last edited by MishaEngel on Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Uli Plank

PostFri Nov 08, 2019 10:52 pm

Where do they get 8K BRAW?
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

MishaEngel

PostSat Nov 09, 2019 12:00 am

Uli Plank wrote:Where do they get 8K BRAW?

You don't need it when you have the "Blackmagic RAW Speed Test"

kinvermark

PostSat Nov 09, 2019 12:28 am

Just watched a PC Magazine video with AMD's Robert Hallock where they discussed the new Threadrippers. My main observations: 1) He does seem VERY confident in the performance uplift and value of the new CPU's, but 2) there are no Resolve benchmarks mentioned (yet.)

Andy Mees

PostSat Nov 09, 2019 5:29 am

Carsten Sellberg wrote:My rekommandation will be to buy what you need today...

Regards Carsten.

This is the best advice Francessco. You've been considering this upgrade for a couple of years now, correct?
Tech-wise, there is ALWAYS something better on the horizon... if you play the waiting game, (waiting for the 'great new thing', hoping to get the 'best' configuration) then you will wait forever, because there will always be a 'greater newer better thing' just around the corner.

Regarding needing 3 GPU's ... sure, if money is no object... if configuring a 'power computing' system is perhaps a hobby and/or realising a 'dream system' then go for it. But if you are trying to configure a system with that simply meets your current/immediate future needs, then it seems far from necessary. Is there value in buying/building/owning a system for feature film colour grading if all you want/need is the ability to work smoothly and easily on otherwise relatively straightforward edits?

Similarly 128GB RAM ... by all means, if money is no object then go for it, but why not put in half that and then only add more if you discover that you actually need it? If you are switching from a Mac laptop to PC desktop then ease of upgradability is one of the advantages.

Just my 2c... as someone who's also been sitting on the fence for too long!
Andy
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

Michael_Andreas

PostSat Nov 09, 2019 5:40 am

In my shopping I've found that most motherboards support only 64 GB and motherboards that support more RAM tend to cost more. But from what I've seen of the OP's YouTube channel 32 GB is probably more than adequate.

vivoices

PostSun Nov 10, 2019 9:21 am

I am working with a 96GB dual Xeon system and Resolve's Fusion uses all of the RAM in quite a lot of situations.

If I knew I could buy and utilize a dual EPYC 2 system in 6 month, 128 cores 256 threads, put enough RAM and 2 Quadro RTX 8000 GPUs, or whatever NVIDIA comes up with next, on the board, I would start putting money aside.
But I have no idea if Resolve is even capable of using 256 logical threads, or fully utilize a second Quadro RTX 8000.
Udo Jansen

Win 10 Pro 22H2, Resolve Studio 18.6.4, R9 5950X, 128 GB RAM, Quadro P4000 (8GB VRAM) 551.61 NSD, Intensity Pro 4K | Pocket6Ks FW7.9.1 | Speed Editor

Piotr Wozniacki

PostSun Nov 10, 2019 1:33 pm

With all respect, Guys - I'd like to remind you the title of this thread is about Resolve. Therefore, I myself should have probably stressed in my post about 3x GPUs with non-cumulative amounts of VRAM as the nest solution for me at the time I was deciding on how to build my system.

Seeing how fast Fusion saturates the "Dedicated GPU memory" so that it's flat at around 9.6GB for a single GPU (BTW - why only a single GPU is being used beats me) - if I was planning a PC for Fusion usage specifically, I'd definitely have chosen a single 24 GB card like the RTX Quadro or Titan.

But the same graph (located within the Windows Task Manager, BTW) only shows some 8 GB of actually dedicated VRAM on each of my GPU cards (well - slightly more with the one driving the Windows GUI) in 99% of my projects, and - which is more important - the value fluctuates slightly during caching, rendering or whatever job Resolve is doing), meaning the 8 GB is actually the true, maximum amount of VRAM required. Hence I never get "Low VRAM" error warning - ever.

Interestingly, Fusion will saturate at a "safe" (lower than the amount of physical GPU VRAM) level - and start using the "Shared GPU memory" (which can be seen rising at a frightening rate with large comps) - similarly to the actual system RAM usage. So again: with today's' HW, software like Fusion (or in the case of super-high resolution RAW footage and heavy grading/CC-in/FX-ing projects - also Resolve) are yet unable to poll the VRAM of multiple GPUs installed, but are fully able to (almost) linearly scale with the number of CUDA cores and other processing units of the GPU's hardware - it's not just the planned complexity of Resolve projects (or Fusion comps) which needs to be kept in mind when planning an optimum computer build. Whether or not Fusion is going to be intensively used (alone, or along Resolve) is the other, equally important, factor.

Disclaimer: this post isn't intended as re-inventing the wheel, but merely as an additional piece of information about the basis for my personal decision on the 24GB VRAM, single GPU vs. 2x (to become 3x soon) just 11GB ones. The decision I made a year ago, when the idea of software's ability to also poll the cumulative VRAM amounts of each installed GPU was even more distant than it is now; I wonder how far we're now from the moment when both main BMD systems get this capability on adequate platforms...

Piotr

Francesco Bollorino

PostSun Nov 10, 2019 4:53 pm

Michael_Andreas wrote:I looked at a few videos the OP's YouTube channel http://www.youtube.com/PsychiatryonlineITA1

His YouTube videos are mostly talking heads at seminars and such, he has some nice titles on his videos. But I don't think he needs a $6000 computer to make his videos. A system such as I have identified in my signature but with a 2070 and a newer CPU should do nicely for him, maybe a $2000 gaming computer. I don't see why he'd need more than one GPU card.

My system is 3+ years old and while I keep up with hardware discussions I'm not ready to replace it yet. Maybe in a year or two.

Dear Michael the "problem" lays in the lenght of my videos (most over 30 min) and in the use of color grading. In these situation my actual gears work A LOT slowly so I do need to speed up my work and I do think that a more powerful gear is mandatory. I have also seen that trying to save in H265 from BMRAW footage is alpost UNPOSSIBLE (by time of rendering) with my actual Imac, The reason of my question lays here I'd like to buy (not the definitive editing machine) but only a Computer to last almost 4 years from now. If Iìd have the money I'd have no doubt to buy a NEW MAC PRO 2019 but as I have not that money I'm looking for an alternative which pairs that beauty... (Today I had need of some help from Apple help desk well guys believe me it's a pity to have not the money as the service was woderful for a 2012 Macbook pro)
Last edited by Francesco Bollorino on Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Francesco Bollorino

Michael_Andreas

PostSun Nov 10, 2019 5:08 pm

Now that I have a better idea of your goals, I would say that you don't need 128 GB since you're not doing complicated Fusion effects. 32 GB will probably work nicely for you.

You also don't mention whether you have the Studio version or what your GPU card is. (Not familiar with 2013 Macs). With the right GPU card and Studio you can perform hardware-accelerated decoding and encoding of h.264 and h.265. (2080 qualifies but I don't know about 2013 Mac).

Here's an offer. Make up a short sample, maybe one minute, of your typical source footage with your typical color corrections and effects. Measure the frame rate/duration of a render on your machine. Then export the project, and put the project file and source clip on a file sharing site like Dropbox or Google Drive. I'll load it up and render it out and measure the frame rate/duration and we can compare. If the result is fast enough for you then one 2080 Ti will certainly be faster (I only have a 1070) and you won't need 3 GPUs. But if not fast enough you'll have another data point to make a better purchase decision.

ETA: Perhaps some more information on your IMAC. Searching online you can configure an IMAC with an i5 or an i7 and one of 3 different GPUs with VRAM of 1GB, 2GB, or 4 GB. Please give more information on your current system.
Last edited by Michael_Andreas on Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carsten Sellberg

PostSun Nov 10, 2019 5:19 pm

Hi Michael.

OP writes that he have a Black Magic BMPCC4K camera. When you buy a BMPCC4K is a Resolve Studio Licence included.
And its Records in ProRes or BRaw.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Michael_Andreas

PostSun Nov 10, 2019 5:25 pm

Actually he said he's going to acquire that camera.

Another path I'll offer is if your current system will process BRAW, however slowly, you could download a sample from the BMD website and process it. Then you could send me just the project file and I could download the same sample and run your project on it.

Francesco Bollorino

PostSun Nov 10, 2019 5:31 pm

Carsten Sellberg wrote:Hi Michael.

OP writes that he have a Black Magic BMPCC4K camera. When you buy a BMPCC4K is a Resolve Studio Licence included.
And its Records in ProRes or BRaw.

Regards Carsten.

Yes I have actually upgrade Resolve to Studio version and I'm trying to understand where it slows much with my 2013 Imac 27, by now it seems to slow down a lot with some FUSION EFFECTS (also simply looking at the footage inside Resolve Studio) and when I try to save in H265. 4K footages with no color correction and no effect work fine and with speed under H264 rendering
Francesco Bollorino

Michael_Andreas

PostSun Nov 10, 2019 5:49 pm

Perhaps you also have some more complicated Fusion effects than the titles I saw in the few samples I looked at on your YouTube channel.

Are your Fusion effects something that you use repeatedly? Maybe you could pre-render them to separate clips that you can merge with your footage. Or maybe generate with an alpha channel and overlay over other footage.

As far as the RAM issue, I imagine that OSX has an equivalent to Windows Task Manager where you can see how your hardware is being used, and whether your RAM is filling up when generating your Fusion effects.

ETA: My understanding is that Fusion will not use multiple GPUs. Since you say that rendering speed is fast enough even with color corrections and effects applied, I see no benefit to more than one GPU.

Michael_Andreas

PostSun Nov 10, 2019 6:09 pm

Rereading perhaps render speed with color effects applied IS an issue. My offer to render a short test clip (1 minute or less, file size < 1GB) on my system still stands. My 1070 should be faster than the 7XX GPU you have even without GPU-accelerated encoding and decoding which it will also do. And a 2080 Ti is around twice as fast as my 1070 on some Puget Systems benchmarks with heavy effects applied. https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/artic ... ance-1238/

Francesco Bollorino

PostWed Nov 13, 2019 1:28 pm

Michael_Andreas wrote:Rereading perhaps render speed with color effects applied IS an issue. My offer to render a short test clip (1 minute or less, file size < 1GB) on my system still stands. My 1070 should be faster than the 7XX GPU you have even without GPU-accelerated encoding and decoding which it will also do. And a 2080 Ti is around twice as fast as my 1070 on some Puget Systems benchmarks with heavy effects applied. https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/artic ... ance-1238/

WELL Here my decision to be evaluated by your experience:
FIRST STEP:
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X570-E
CPU: Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
GPU: Radeon RX 5700
RAM: 128GB

SECOND STEP NEXT YEAR: sell Radeon RX 5700 and buy 3 NAVI23 AMD GPU adding AMD Infinity Fabric
Which is your opinion?
Francesco Bollorino

Michael_Andreas

PostWed Nov 13, 2019 1:40 pm

I don't really know a lot about AMD cards. I did look at AMD's catalog page for the motherboard briefly, if I'm interpreting it correctly it will only support 2 GPUs as it has only 2 x16 slots that might drop to x8 in each slot if both are occupied, but I don't know what "Safeslot" is. Perhaps Carsten will weigh in.

My point all along has been that your hardware should cover your needs. I had a very specific offer to help you understand that better. I don't see this latest hardware proposal moving in that direction.

Francesco Bollorino

PostWed Nov 13, 2019 1:48 pm

Michael_Andreas wrote:I don't really know a lot about AMD cards. I did look at AMD's catalog page for the motherboard briefly, if I'm interpreting it correctly it will only support 2 GPUs as it has only 2 x16 slots that might drop to x8 in each slot if both are occupied, but I don't know what "Safeslot" is. Perhaps Carsten will weigh in.

My point all along has been that your hardware should cover your needs. I had a very specific offer to help you understand that better. I don't see this latest hardware proposal moving in that direction.

I do think that it's possible to find the right motherboard able to support both CPU and 3 GPU in the future. My idea is to build a PC apt to be upgraded to 2020 AMD GPU technology using in the meaning 5700 GPU.
As my needs are to buy a new edting machine as soon as possible this is the only solution (on paper) possible in order to save my money spent
Francesco Bollorino

Michael_Andreas

PostWed Nov 13, 2019 1:56 pm

By what process did you determine that you need 3 GPU cards? And that this is the only solution to save money?

Francesco Bollorino

PostWed Nov 13, 2019 2:44 pm

Michael_Andreas wrote:By what process did you determine that you need 3 GPU cards? And that this is the only solution to save money?

I have read reports about the encrease of overall speed using 3 same GPUs so this is my solution.
Buying ans after selling the 5700 GPU to be replaced in 2020 with 3 NAVI23 GPU I save all the other parts of the build without the need to change nothing but the GPUs and this is a saving of my investiment.
My need is to biuld a PC of almost the same power of the new MAC Pro with less money to spend and I think that the solution I have found is the right one
Francesco Bollorino

MishaEngel

PostWed Nov 13, 2019 3:07 pm

Francesco Bollorino wrote:WELL Here my decision to be evaluated by your experience:
FIRST STEP:
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X570-E
CPU: Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
GPU: Radeon RX 5700
RAM: 128GB

SECOND STEP NEXT YEAR: sell Radeon RX 5700 and buy 3 NAVI23 AMD GPU adding AMD Infinity Fabric
Which is your opinion?

The Threadripper 3970x needs a TRX40 motherboard, the X570's are for Ryzen.

Wait for the reviews of the new R9-3950x and the threadrippers 3960x and 3970x (25th of november, 2019).
We planned to buy 4x TR-3960x, but when we saw the speed estimates of the R9-3950x we will probably go for 3x R9-3950x and 1x TR-3970x.

Just wait for the reviews and don't try to be the first one to have initial problems.

Carsten Sellberg

PostWed Nov 13, 2019 4:08 pm

Francesco Bollorino wrote: SECOND STEP NEXT YEAR: sell Radeon RX 5700 and buy 3 NAVI23 AMD GPU adding AMD Infinity Fabric
Which is your opinion?

Hi.

AMD launched the Radeon Instinct MI50 back in November 2018 togetter with the MI60:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13562/am ... y-7nm-vega

I have only seen it in two or four Graphics Cards versions. Never tree Graphics Cards connected togetter.
And the Apple Radeon Pro Vega II Duo version will have either one or two DUO cards. That is again either two or four Graphics Cards.

One months ago introduced AMD the MI50 with 32GB of HBM2 each, but as I know, is it still only sold to Data Centers:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/the-c ... eplacement

Back in August at Hot Chips Keynote Dr. Lisa Su, CEO of AMD told at 05:25PM EDT - These technologies might be designed for the high end HPC systems, these technologies filter down to commercial systems and next gen CPU/GPU:

From this link: https://www.anandtech.com/show/14762/ho ... g-145pm-pt

But she did NOT tell when. Will it be next gen CPU/GPU or may be NEXT NEXT gen CPU/GPU. I don't know.

As I previous wrote will Radeon Pro Vega II Duo be the first. And I expect to see it in a few months.
I saw it in a streamed demo with a future version of Resolve. Later did BM hint me, that the application programmer can acces the bus connecting the Graphics Cards. I expect BM will tell more when they release the version of Resolve, that can use this possibilities of the new the Radeon Pro Vega II Duo. Please wait.

I have NO indication that BM will make a Windows or Linux version of Resolve supporting AMD Graphics cards interconnected by Infinity Fabric. But as you, I hope it will happen, but first we must see one or more new Graphics Cards from AMD with connectors for Infinity Fabric Interconnections.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Francesco Bollorino

PostWed Nov 13, 2019 7:04 pm

Carsten Sellberg wrote:
Francesco Bollorino wrote: SECOND STEP NEXT YEAR: sell Radeon RX 5700 and buy 3 NAVI23 AMD GPU adding AMD Infinity Fabric
Which is your opinion?

Hi.

AMD launched the Radeon Instinct MI50 back in November 2018 togetter with the MI60:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13562/am ... y-7nm-vega

I have only seen it in two or four Graphics Cards versions. Never tree Graphics Cards connected togetter.
And the Apple Radeon Pro Vega II Duo version will have either one or two DUO cards. That is again either two or four Graphics Cards.

One months ago introduced AMD the MI50 with 32GB of HBM2 each, but as I know, is it still only sold to Data Centers:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/the-c ... eplacement

Back in August at Hot Chips Keynote Dr. Lisa Su, CEO of AMD told at 05:25PM EDT - These technologies might be designed for the high end HPC systems, these technologies filter down to commercial systems and next gen CPU/GPU:

From this link: https://www.anandtech.com/show/14762/ho ... g-145pm-pt

But she did NOT tell when. Will it be next gen CPU/GPU or may be NEXT NEXT gen CPU/GPU. I don't know.

As I previous wrote will Radeon Pro Vega II Duo be the first. And I expect to see it in a few months.
I saw it in a streamed demo with a future version of Resolve. Later did BM hint me, that the application programmer can acces the bus connecting the Graphics Cards. I expect BM will tell more when they release the version of Resolve, that can use this possibilities of the new the Radeon Pro Vega II Duo. Please wait.

I have NO indication that BM will make a Windows or Linux version of Resolve supporting AMD Graphics cards interconnected by Infinity Fabric. But as you, I hope it will happen, but first we must see one or more new Graphics Cards from AMD with connectors for Infinity Fabric Interconnections.

Regards Carsten.

what to say more? THANK YOU A LOT
Francesco Bollorino

Michael_Andreas

PostWed Nov 13, 2019 11:30 pm

It's interesting that Walter Volpatto, an experienced working professional colorist on this forum, does not have 3 GPUs. https://postperspective.com/veteran-col ... ins-efilm/
What does Walter have? Here is a copy of his signature:
SuperServer 5039AD-I
C9X299-PGF - DDR4-2400 16x4 GB
i9-7920xCPU 12c 2.90GHz Water cooled
2x 1080ti DeckLink Studio 4K (11.4)
W10-1903 - BMR St. 16.1.1.005
nvidia: 431.86 studio

What do you know that Walter does not know?

Francesco Bollorino

PostThu Nov 14, 2019 1:55 am

Michael_Andreas wrote:It's interesting that Walter Volpatto, an experienced working professional colorist on this forum, does not have 3 GPUs. https://postperspective.com/veteran-col ... ins-efilm/
What does Walter have? Here is a copy of his signature:
SuperServer 5039AD-I
C9X299-PGF - DDR4-2400 16x4 GB
i9-7920xCPU 12c 2.90GHz Water cooled
2x 1080ti DeckLink Studio 4K (11.4)
W10-1903 - BMR St. 16.1.1.005
nvidia: 431.86 studio

What do you know that Walter does not know?

To be honest here it's not a problem of knowledge but of competence: Walter certenly knows how to use "Color" in DAVINCI and if you use properly "COLOR" the file is not heavy BUT if you choise AS NOT EXPERT to use FILM CONVERT PLUG IN or some FUSION EFFECT or to reduce noise to modify your footage... voilat: your file is trasformed in something that needs a lot of power to be rendered.
In the real word of not colorists like me this is the situation and I prefer (it could be a mistake I know) to buy a powerfull gear in front of to study to become a colorist.
If I could only afford this I'd buy, as 'Xmas present to my soul, a MAC PRO with 2 VEGA PRO DUO graphic cards, 24 core CPU and 256GB of ram, saving some money on monitor cost and I'd live happy for a long time BUT I have not around 20.000€ to spend and so "the problem" becomes real....
TAKE A LOOK AT: https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommende ... ations#GPU
Francesco Bollorino

MishaEngel

PostThu Nov 14, 2019 2:30 am

Those Puget recommedations are about the worst I've seen sofar.
The R9-3950x is on par with the i9-10980xe and the Radeon VII is on par with the RTX Titan X and or RTX quadro's.

Puget tested it them selves:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/DaVinci-Resolve-15-AMD-Radeon-VII-16GB-Performance-1382/
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/DaVinci-Resolve-15-NVIDIA-Quadro-RTX-Performance-1388/

Radeon VII is not end of life as claimed by PugetSystems.

Francesco Bollorino

PostThu Nov 14, 2019 2:38 am

MishaEngel wrote:Those Puget recommedations are about the worst I've seen sofar.
The R9-3950x is on par with the i9-10980xe and the Radeon VII is on par with the RTX Titan X and or RTX quadro's.

Puget tested it them selves:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/DaVinci-Resolve-15-AMD-Radeon-VII-16GB-Performance-1382/
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/DaVinci-Resolve-15-NVIDIA-Quadro-RTX-Performance-1388/

Radeon VII is not end of life as claimed by PugetSystems.

Starting from my dream:" If I could only afford this I'd buy, as 'Xmas present to my soul, a MAC PRO with 2 VEGA PRO DUO graphic cards, 24 core CPU and 256GB of ram" which is the EQUIVALENT PCWIN architecture to have almost the same power? This is the question not other...
Francesco Bollorino

MishaEngel

PostThu Nov 14, 2019 3:06 am

Francesco Bollorino wrote:Starting from my dream:" If I could only afford this I'd buy, as 'Xmas present to my soul, a MAC PRO with 2 VEGA PRO DUO graphic cards, 24 core CPU and 256GB of ram" which is the EQUIVALENT PCWIN architecture to have almost the same power? This is the question not other...

1x Threadripper 3970x $2000
1x Enermax Liqtech TR4 II 280 80.71 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $140
1x Motherboard $700
256 GB RAM 3200 CL16 8x32 GByte Corsair $1350
2x Radeon VII $1400
1x Thermaltake Toughpower DPS G RGB Titanium 1500 W 80+ Titanium $325
2x Sabrent Rocket 4.0 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $800
1x case ~ $150
1x BlackMagicDesign DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G $900
4x Seagate Exos X14 12 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive in RAID 10(24TB effective) $1200

1x Asus ProArt PA32UCX $4000
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asus-proart-pa32ucx

That's about it and faster than the Apple config in Resolve.

Francesco Bollorino

PostThu Nov 14, 2019 4:05 am

MishaEngel wrote:
Francesco Bollorino wrote:Starting from my dream:" If I could only afford this I'd buy, as 'Xmas present to my soul, a MAC PRO with 2 VEGA PRO DUO graphic cards, 24 core CPU and 256GB of ram" which is the EQUIVALENT PCWIN architecture to have almost the same power? This is the question not other...

1x Threadripper 3970x $2000
1x Enermax Liqtech TR4 II 280 80.71 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $140
1x Motherboard $700
256 GB RAM 3200 CL16 8x32 GByte Corsair $1350
2x Radeon VII $1400
1x Thermaltake Toughpower DPS G RGB Titanium 1500 W 80+ Titanium $325
2x Sabrent Rocket 4.0 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $800
1x case ~ $150
1x BlackMagicDesign DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G $900
4x Seagate Exos X14 12 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive in RAID 10(24TB effective) $1200

1x Asus ProArt PA32UCX $4000
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asus-proart-pa32ucx

That's about it and faster than the Apple config in Resolve.

why 1x BlackMagicDesign DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G $900?
I dont understand as I could drive monitors trought GPU or not?
Francesco Bollorino

Carsten Sellberg

PostThu Nov 14, 2019 5:42 am

Francesco Bollorino wrote: Starting from my dream:" If I could only afford this I'd buy, as 'Xmas present to my soul, a MAC PRO with 2 VEGA PRO DUO graphic cards, 24 core CPU and 256GB of ram" which is the EQUIVALENT PCWIN architecture to have almost the same power? This is the question not other...

Hi Francesco.

I liked you suggestion to buy a new PC first with a smaller graphics card. And then Upgrade to
two coming AMD future Graphics card interconnected by Infinity Fabric much better.

When I look at this link:

https://www.apple.com/it/mac-pro/specs/

Do I see that the coming Mac Pro have a 1400 Watt Power Supply and Apple rate it for 1280W continuous at 108-125V or 220-240V.

But in the same link they write that Radeon Pro Vega II Duo uses 500 watt each. And a CPU 300 Watt. That is a total of 1300 Watt. I wonder how Apple will power all the remaining components inside the new Mac Pro. Is a 1400 Watt Power Supply large enough?

Personally I don't like the new Xeon W3200 series CPU's Apple bought from Intel, for the new Mac Pro or the pricing of it. It uses an old server LGA3647 socket where the user can't exchange the CPU them self. CPU upgrades will be a job for Apple.
It was launched in June to a price of $1999 for a W-3245 16 core Xeon CPU:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14513/in ... e-30-lanes

Later Intel reduced some server CPU prices to nearly the half, and introduced the new Xeon W2200 with the normal LGA2066 socket in October:
Here is the price $1333 for a W-2295 18 core Xeon CPU and only $1112 for a W-2275 14 core Xeon CPU. And then can the user self upgrade the CPU, if they need a faster one. I wonder why Apple choosed the Xeon W3200 and its special socket:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14939/in ... tb-support

Later today do I expect to see the first independent Ryzen 3950X CPU reviews. While we are waiting will i like to show this link, where the rumored PassMark Benchmark Score for the AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 16 Core CPU are faster than a Intel’s 28 Core Xeon-3175X CPU:

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-9-3950x- ... mark-leak/

Finally. As I see it, will the new Mac Pro be the first of a series of Mac Pro's. It uses the old generation Intel 14nm+++ CPU with PCI ver 3.0.
If you still are considering one, are you then sure you still want one of the first generation?
And NOT one of the NEXT generation which I expect in 2021 and to come with a larger Power Supply, better cooling and with a new 10nm Intel CPU, DDR5 RAM and PCI ver 5.0.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Francesco Bollorino

PostThu Nov 14, 2019 6:00 am

Carsten Sellberg wrote:
Francesco Bollorino wrote: Starting from my dream:" If I could only afford this I'd buy, as 'Xmas present to my soul, a MAC PRO with 2 VEGA PRO DUO graphic cards, 24 core CPU and 256GB of ram" which is the EQUIVALENT PCWIN architecture to have almost the same power? This is the question not other...

Hi Francesco.

I liked you suggestion to buy a new PC first with a smaller graphics card. And then Upgrade to
two coming AMD future Graphics card interconnected by Infinity Fabric much better.

When I look at this link:

https://www.apple.com/it/mac-pro/specs/

Do I see that the coming Mac Pro have a 1400 Watt Power Supply and Apple rate it for 1280W continuous at 108-125V or 220-240V.

But in the same link they write that Radeon Pro Vega II Duo uses 500 watt each. And a CPU 300 Watt. That is a total of 1300 Watt. I wonder how Apple will power all the remaining components inside the new Mac Pro. Is a 1400 Watt Power Supply large enough?

Personally I don't like the new Xeon W3200 series CPU's Apple bought from Intel, for the new Mac Pro or the pricing of it. It uses an old server LGA3647 socket where the user can't exchange the CPU them self. CPU upgrades will be a job for Apple.
It was launched in June to a price of $1999 for a W-3245 16 core Xeon CPU:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14513/in ... e-30-lanes

Later Intel reduced some server CPU prices to nearly the half, and introduced the new Xeon W2200 with the normal LGA2066 socket in October:
Here is the price $1333 for a W-2295 18 core Xeon CPU and only $1112 for a W-2275 14 core Xeon CPU. And then can the user self upgrade the CPU, if they need a faster one. I wonder why Apple choosed the Xeon W3200 and its special socket:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14939/in ... tb-support

Later today do I expect to see the first independent Ryzen 3950X CPU reviews. While we are waiting will i like to show this link, where the rumored PassMark Benchmark Score for the AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 16 Core CPU are faster than a Intel’s 28 Core Xeon-3175X CPU:

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-9-3950x- ... mark-leak/

Finally. As I see it, will the new Mac Pro be the first of a series of Mac Pro's. It uses the old generation Intel 14nm+++ CPU with PCI ver 3.0.
If you still are considering one, are you then sure you still want one of the first generation?
And NOT one of the NEXT generation which I expect in 2021 and to come with a larger Power Supply, better cooling and with a new 10nm Intel CPU, DDR5 RAM and PCI ver 5.0.

Regards Carsten.

Dear Carsten, thank you a lot.
I do think that, sorry to say, mac gears are too much pricie for my pocket, So I will go to WINPC. In order to save my money I do think that choising the best apart of GPU for my first step is the way to build the right PC for my needs as I do think that the mighty of AMD Ryzen 3950 - 70X CPUs is enough right now and the 2020 AMD GPU series will be the right choise for this "definitive" gear,
Using 5700 GPU for some month is not a problem I think as it is not a mere piece of iron... I cant wait always for the best as so I'd buy nothing for a long time :D :D :D :D :D
Francesco Bollorino

MishaEngel

PostThu Nov 14, 2019 12:54 pm

Francesco Bollorino wrote:

When this is a serious question you never had accurate colors with Davinci Resolve.

Francesco Bollorino

PostFri Nov 15, 2019 10:50 pm

MishaEngel wrote:

When this is a serious question you never had accurate colors with Davinci Resolve.

Is it possible to connect two monitors? I guess that DeckLink 4K Extreme act as monitor out
Would I need two DeckLink 4K Extreme?
Francesco Bollorino

bruce alan greene

PostFri Nov 15, 2019 11:21 pm

MishaEngel wrote:

Is it possible to connect two monitors? I guess that DeckLink 4K Extreme act as monitor out
Would I need two DeckLink 4K Extreme?

I believe you can only use one decklink device at a time with Resolve. So that means one signal to your color grading monitor, or a duplicate signal to a separate client display if you wish.

For the GUI, the computer displays to see the resolve controls, you can use one or two computer displays for this. On my system I have two computer displays for the Resolve controls, plus a separate grading display connected to my decklink output card. So 3 displays total.

Francesco Bollorino

PostSat Nov 16, 2019 10:57 am

Let me understand Bruce: the Decklink is a direct connection to what? If I'd use only one monitor for my setup connected as output to Declink what appens? Sorry to say that I dont understand the flux of information from the PC and the monitors. Also for problem of space I can buy only 2 monitors and I thought to connect them to GPU but If DecLink is better ok but I dont understand the run of videosignals (also for other uses then DAVINCI)
Francesco Bollorino
Next

Return to DaVinci Resolve