Questions about BMD Camera/Studio/Talkback Converters

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

swrutherford

Questions about BMD Camera/Studio/Talkback Converters

PostWed Nov 06, 2019 3:11 am

I have several questions in regards to the ATEM switchers with Studio and Talkback Converters.

1 - To utilize the talkback feature, do I need both the Studio Converter and the Talkback Converter or can they stand alone?

2 - If I add the SFP modules to the Talkback Converter, can it essentially perform the same functions as the Studio Converter, only with 8 Channels instead of 4?

3 - Speaking of the SFP modules, can someone please direct me to the correct ones to add to the Talkback Converter?

4 - Which aviation headsets would you recommend for the system?

5 - I assume the Camera Converters can also be used for sources such as Graphics and Replay and can carry headset and tally to these sources, as well. Am I correct in this assumption?

Sorry if these are elementary questions. Looking through the manual I only seemed to get myself more confused with the system.

Thank you for your time!
Stephen Rutherford
Yuletide Media

Xtreemtec

Re: Questions about BMD Camera/Studio/Talkback Converters

PostSat Nov 09, 2019 1:24 pm

1) Or the studio or the talkback converter. They do both the same. Talkback converter is the upgraded version of the Studio converter with 8 channels 12G instead of 4 channels 6G sdi. ;)

2) Correct. And the talkback converter is 12G SDI capable instead of 6G.

3) BMD has SFP's they are listed under accessories ;) But for your case the 3G sfp is fine

4) That is a difficult one. BMD did not really release a list of recommended headsets.

5) Sure. SDI or HDMI input will work ok. Kind of expensive solution but yes will work. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

David Hutchinson

PostSun Nov 10, 2019 5:58 pm

So to get talk-back to a Broadcast camera using the Talkback converter 4K with an spf, am I right in thinking you just need a fibre converter at the camera end to give you the SDI in and out - and the camera deals with talk-back and tally etc?

Xtreemtec

PostMon Nov 11, 2019 1:19 pm

David Hutchinson wrote:So to get talk-back to a Broadcast camera using the Talkback converter 4K with an spf, am I right in thinking you just need a fibre converter at the camera end to give you the SDI in and out - and the camera deals with talk-back and tally etc?

The blackmagic Ursa cameras do yes. Any other brand does not ;)

Also to mention the talkback feature does work with small phone headsets and is not really suited for noisy enviroments.. But there are people that have found a good headset to deal with it..
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

David Hutchinson

PostMon Nov 11, 2019 4:13 pm

In the Ursa Broadcast setup menu it allows a program mix - but nowhere can I see a talkback mix in the headset. I guess it'll be possible to re-terminate larger headsets with the correct plud ... a TRRS?

Xtreemtec

PostMon Nov 11, 2019 7:54 pm

Talkback is enabled by default. And with the new FW that is upcoming you can change levels from that Talkback.
The Program mix is the amount of Program audio you also want on your headsets.

Because the TRRS is build for use with iPhone buds. The driver behind it will do 16 Ohm and not a lot of swing level. So changing the plug on a heavy duty headset does not make sense as most heavy duty headsets are somewhere between 200 and 600 Ohm. Needing a LOT more power to drive the same amount of audio to your ears. Which the Ursa can not drive enough unfortunately.

In most cases you are adviced to look for gaming headsets or something. I had some Heavy duty headsets cleaned out and put the speakers of some cheap 16 Ohm gaming headset inside them.. But not really ideal.. :lol: :?

David Hutchinson

PostThu Nov 14, 2019 10:16 am

Thanks Daniel - good info!

Return to Live Production