BMPCC - DOF? recommended lens - zoom - 50p/60p?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

olli66

BMPCC - DOF? recommended lens - zoom - 50p/60p?

PostTue Jun 11, 2013 1:54 pm

hi guys,
I am thinking of buying the Blackmagic Cinema Pocket Cam. Do I understand right it has no zoom out of the box?
What is a recommended lens? I am looking for one that is not too big but allows zooming up to 20x (for not so professional shoots so image quality mustn's be top notch!) and I am looking for one somehow "universal" lense that matches most situations (I know this is hard!).
Also I may be one of the few people who actually likes movies in higher frame rates. We are used to the cinema look of 24p but I prefer smoother movies. Would it be possible for the cam to feature 50p/60p via firmware upgrades or is the hardware limited to 24p or is it simply not wanted?
I like music videos shot like the ones from www.cardinalsessions.com, they do use dslrs.
I wonder how the BMPCC would do under the same lightning conditions...
Thanks for your ideas/recommendations
Olli

Christine Peterson

Re: BMPCC - DOF? recommended lens - zoom - 50p/60p?

PostTue Jun 11, 2013 6:26 pm

Moved to Cinematography...
Christine Peterson

(Previously Community Relations Manager for Blackmagic Design)

Thor Knudsen

PostTue Jun 11, 2013 9:04 pm

olli66 wrote:... allows zooming up to 20x

For such a zoom range you'd probably be better served with a proper ENG camera...

olli66 wrote: Would it be possible for the cam to feature 50p/60p via firmware upgrades

Right now it looks extremely unlikely.

Mac Jaeger

PostTue Jun 11, 2013 9:22 pm

olli66 wrote:Do I understand right it has no zoom out of the box?

No, it has no zoom. It doesn't even have a lens...

I am looking for one somehow "universal" lense that matches most situations (I know this is hard!).

There is no such thing as the "universal" lens, especially not with HD cameras, and surely not with a crop factor of almost 3. Otherwise why would there be that many different lenses? Selecting the right lens for a specific shot isn't only a technical decision, but as much an artists choice: do you want that shallow depth of view of a fast lens wide open? Or would you rather have both your subject and the background crisp sharp? Can't have both at the same time, i fear.

Would it be possible for the cam to feature 50p/60p via firmware upgrades or is the hardware limited to 24p or is it simply not wanted?

It's very unlikely to double the framerates by firmware only, and even if it was possible, wouldn't blackmagicdesign be better off to incorporate this feature in 2014s "Next Generation Pocket Cinema Camera Mark II"? Yet all BM Cinema Cameras can shoot up to 30p, not only cinematic 24p.

All in all it sounds to me that you are looking for a different kind of camera than what BM is offering here.

Return to Cinematography