Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Here is what I would like to do

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Nigel Scott

Here is what I would like to do

PostThu Nov 14, 2019 2:48 pm

First I am a complete novice with fusion. However what I am trying to do is this...

I have a photo of a newspaper page. On the page there is a sentence I want to highlight. After it is highlighted I want that sentence to detach from the page and zoom up so that it sort of hovers enlarged over the page background. Is this possible? I have searched for tutorials that might point me in the correct direction but so far found nothing.
Thanks Nigel
MacBook Pro M1
16gb Memory

Windows 10 64-bit
Intel Core i5-4690K CPU @ 3.5 GHz, 32.0GB RAM, NIVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER
DaVinci Resolve Studio Version 18.5 Public Beta

Sander de Regt

Re: Here is what I would like to do

PostThu Nov 14, 2019 9:31 pm

Use mask tools to cut out your sentence from the page, lay the now cut out sentence back on top of the original photo and animate it to your heart's content. Make sure you have enough resolution to zoom in enough to keep a nice sharp image.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Nigel Scott

PostFri Nov 15, 2019 9:04 am

Sander de Regt wrote:Use mask tools to cut out your sentence from the page, lay the now cut out sentence back on top of the original photo and animate it to your heart's content. Make sure you have enough resolution to zoom in enough to keep a nice sharp image.

Thanks Sander de Regt I will experiment with masks today. Hopefully it is not as difficult as I had thought.
MacBook Pro M1
16gb Memory

Windows 10 64-bit

Sander de Regt

PostFri Nov 15, 2019 9:39 am

Should you run into trouble, just report back. We're here to help.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Dazzer

PostFri Nov 15, 2019 10:32 am

Hi Nigel,

The basic structure of what you want to do is very easy in Fusion.

Most of the work (and this is where your lack of knowledge will hinder you) will be the tweaking that will actually make it look good and not clumsy and cheap.

So, as a another recent beginner in Fusion, i'd suggest setting your first goal to create the effect in a functional, clumsy way. Don't be disappointed that it looks crap. And once you feel like your getting a handle on the program and the concepts of compositing, you'll be able to finesse the look.

Search Youtube for Fusion tutorials, specifically by: VFX Study, JayAreTV, MiesnerMedia, Simon Ubsdell, Casey Faris plus many more.

Hope this helps!

Nigel Scott

PostFri Nov 15, 2019 10:43 am

Thanks for all your generous help and suggestions. You have really encouraged me to dive in and give it a go!
MacBook Pro M1
16gb Memory

Windows 10 64-bit

Nigel Scott

PostFri Nov 15, 2019 12:45 pm

I am getting somewhere! I started off making a Fusion clip of 2 copies of the newspaper page photo and a solid colour generator to bring in to darken one page after it had been on screen for a few seconds. In the Fusion page I have added a rectangle over the second page and resized it to highlight the section I am interested in. It is very clunky but it works. I am not sure that I needed the solid colour generator in my Fusion clip. I would have liked to have changed the opacity of the pages in Fusion but I could not work out how to do that. I have saved what I have and I will have another go trying to simplify it now that I have a rough idea of what I need to do.
MacBook Pro M1
16gb Memory

Windows 10 64-bit

Dazzer

PostWed Nov 27, 2019 10:36 am

Nice!

By the way, you can post your comps here by simply selecting all nodes in Fusion, then: ctrl + C

Then, in a post here, choose the "code" option above and ctrl +V.

And it works in reverse, if someone posts a comp here, you can copy the code, then ctrl + V in Fusion to view the comp.

Very handy!

Nigel Scott

PostWed Nov 27, 2019 10:47 am

Dazzer wrote:Nice!

By the way, you can post your comps here by simply selecting all nodes in Fusion, then: ctrl + C

Then, in a post here, choose the "code" option above and ctrl +V.

And it works in reverse, if someone posts a comp here, you can copy the code, then ctrl + V in Fusion to view the comp.

Very handy!

Thanks for that good tip. I will save it for the future. I did eventually work out how to change the opacity of the clips thus omitting the need for the solid colour generator. I got the whole thing working quite well but I am afraid my colleague thought it was a bit too complicated to repeat the process for the number of clips that were required. I looked into how to save the procedure as a template but that is where I got totally lost and decided that I was probably wasting too much time. I eventually got much the same effect by using the edit page with key frames. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
MacBook Pro M1
16gb Memory

Windows 10 64-bit

Return to Fusion