Play the video on Node Thumbnails while playing

• Author

studio1492

Play the video on Node Thumbnails while playing

PostWed Nov 20, 2019 2:43 am

The idea will be that the still pictures inside the nodes in Color Page play the video in real time while the transport is on play (this is my vision of future for DVR Studio, this will happen soon or later).
Captura de pantalla 2019-11-20 a las 3.38.12.png
Captura de pantalla 2019-11-20 a las 3.38.12.png (229.04 KiB) Viewed 745 times

This is not only a "fancy" beautiful thing to see a dozen of little screens playing the video replacing the current still frame, but also a way to analize in real time the way trakers and qualifiers are acting simultaneously, allowing a lot of control and analysis.

This can be a feature for DVR Studio version, as modern GPUs have the power to handle this. For consumer GPUs or laptops, this "playing thumbnail" behaviour may be turned on or off from the Nodes Window options menu to save GPU resources.

If this feature is not possible by now, at least I ask to BMD that the Node thumbnail picture refreshes matching with the playhead when it stops, so we can have that extra layer of control with the Node thumnails for any frame and not only for the first frame of the clip.

The current behaviour at DVR 16.1.1 seems to take the first thumnail of the clip and keep it fixed as Node thumnail. This is great only when editing the first frame of the clip, but the potential can be higher when the thumbnail refreshes mathing with the Playhead, or even more control with "Playing thumbnails".

(PS. If this feature is already possible an I'm missing something in the manual, please let me know and I will delete this post).
Last edited by studio1492 on Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
- MBP 14" M1 Pro 16GB, 1TB, 10 core CPU, 16 core GPU.
- Resolve Studio 18.6.4 @ macOS 13.6.2
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Speed Editor (gathering dust until killer custom keys arrive)
- Synology DS218

Mel Matsuoka

Re: Play the video on Node Thumbnails while playing

PostWed Nov 20, 2019 3:03 am

studio1492 wrote:This is not only a "fancy" beautiful thing to see a dozen of little screens playing the video replacing the current still frame, but also a way to analize in real time the way trakers and qualifiers are acting simultaneously, allowing a lot of control about what is going on when there are parallel or layer nodes

I’ve wished for a lot of esoteric and fanciful feature requests in Resolve, but this one definitely wouldn’t be anywhere on that list. I really don’t see how this is any way useful. You can obviously do this already by selecting the node and seeing the results in the Viewer, and at a much larger size than a tiny node thumbnail. Not to mention the fact that it would be insanely resource intensive, as well as distracting to the colorist during playback.
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

studio1492

Re: Play the video on Node Thumbnails while playing

PostWed Nov 20, 2019 3:44 am

Mel Matsuoka wrote: as well as distracting to the colorist during playback.

To see a group of trackers acting in real time in separate windows is a way of control many layers at once. It may be distracting the first day only.

I see that at least, in less than 10 years, the Node thumbnail images will refresh when playback stops to match with the playhead position frame. That's easy.

Mel Matsuoka wrote:and at a much larger size than a tiny node thumbnail.

There is a zoom slider for nodes.
- MBP 14" M1 Pro 16GB, 1TB, 10 core CPU, 16 core GPU.
- Resolve Studio 18.6.4 @ macOS 13.6.2
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Speed Editor (gathering dust until killer custom keys arrive)
- Synology DS218

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests