Clip "Usage" contextual menu not very helpful.

• Author

Mel Matsuoka

Clip "Usage" contextual menu not very helpful.

PostTue Nov 12, 2019 6:37 pm

It seems like an odd functional disparity that you can only get a "Usage" submenu on bin clips by shifting the view into Thumbnail view, and not in List View. It's nice to be able to see a graphical "birds eye view" of clip usage in the Thumbnail view, but sometimes you also want to see the numeric Clip Usage indicator, and sort on that value to find clip instances throughout your project.

Please add this "Usage" submenu to the List View contextual menu!
Last edited by Mel Matsuoka on Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

Mel Matsuoka

Re: Enable clip "Usage" submenu in List View

PostTue Nov 12, 2019 6:59 pm

Weird...the "Usage" submenu actually re-appeared in List view after I restarted Resolve.

Looks like this might be related to the issue of the "randomly disappearing Stabilization panel" in the Inspector, discussed here:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=93530
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

Mel Matsuoka

PostTue Nov 12, 2019 7:25 pm

OMG, this is SUPER annoying!

The "Usage" submenu is always disappearing, even in Thumbnail view! Closing and reopening the project restores it, but this is insanely annoying:

Logfiles here: https://d.pr/f/kcOUyZ

Rohit Singhal

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Nov 14, 2019 8:01 am

Mel Matsuoka wrote:
The "Usage" submenu is always disappearing, even in Thumbnail view! Closing and reopening the project restores it, but this is insanely annoying:

The Usage submenu will only be shown on the context menu for those media pool clips which have been used at least once in a timeline
Rohit Singhal
DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

Mel Matsuoka

PostThu Nov 14, 2019 5:06 pm

Rohit Singhal wrote:
Mel Matsuoka wrote:

The Usage submenu will only be shown on the context menu for those media pool clips which have been used at least once in a timeline

I think I figured out this fact, but I’m having issues with the menu not being visible on clips that I am 100% sure are being used in my timelines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mel Matsuoka

Re: Clip "Usage" contextual menu not very helpful.

PostWed Nov 20, 2019 12:22 am

As an addendum to my original post, I've now discovered that the "Usage" submenu only appears if you invoke it on a bin clip that is being used somewhere in the currently active Timeline!

If you activate a timeline which does not contain that clip (or if the timeline where it is being used in is open, but in a non-active timeline tab), the "Usage" menu does not appear.

This is not particularly useful, since I need to know EVERYWHERE the clip is being used, not just the currently active one.

In this screen capture, I'm trying to get the global clip-usage for the "Koolaus 2 - 720p.mp4" clip in my project bin. When I right-click on it while the "*T07*" timeline is active, the "Usage" menu does not appear in the contextual menu.

However if I activate either the "*T01*" timeline, or the "*ALL*TRACKS-RENDERESEQ* timeline (which contains the nested "*T01*" timeline), the Usage menu appears, as expected:

At first I thought this might be related to the fact that initially these "nested" timelines were actually Compound Clips that are otherwise functionally identical to standard nested timelines. But when I replaced the Compound Clip with the "Koolaus 2" clip in it with a standard timeline, the behavior still persists.
Last edited by Mel Matsuoka on Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:12 am, edited 5 times in total.

chrisbrearley

Re: Strange behavior in Clip "Usage" submenu

PostThu Nov 21, 2019 4:58 pm

Can we please revert back to having 'Update usage' in the right-click context menu? The new method is ridiculous. Let's say I have 30 timelines in a project, I now have to open every one of them up to find out which clips are being used. Why?

Mel Matsuoka

Re: Clip "Usage" contextual menu not very helpful

PostThu Nov 21, 2019 6:28 pm

chrisbrearley wrote:Can we please revert back to having 'Update usage' in the right-click context menu? The new method is ridiculous. Let's say I have 30 timelines in a project, I now have to open every one of them up to find out which clips are being used. Why?

I have to believe that the current behavior is a bug, and not a feature. It seems so nonsensical for it to work the way that it does in 16.1.1 that I can't imagine it was intentional on the part of BMD.

Mel Matsuoka

PostThu Feb 27, 2020 12:10 am

Just bumping this again, out of my complete and utter frustration as to how utterly useless the "Usage" submenu behavior is...

Today I had to track down usage of a ton of clips scattered among several dozen timelines, and it was a Kafkaesque process of opening ALL the timelines, then manually activating each one--ONE BY ONE--and going back to the clip in the Media Pool, and right-clicking it too see if it was being used in the active timeline.

This is simply insane.

It'd be nice if more users got on board with this gripe, so that it can earn higher priority on BMD's bugfix radar. This is a serious feature oversight.

GregAusina

PostWed Oct 07, 2020 10:31 am

Hello,
I have to add my voice to this request. At first the usage contextual menu was a great surprise but if the function is restricted only to the active timeline it becomes almost useless. I mean, it does the same job as reverse match frame in the source viewer and it is very frustrating when you loose the potential of such a powerful feature.
Regards.
Grégoire AUSINA / Gisèle productions
Davinci 18.6.5 on Windows 10 / latest Nvidia studio driver / Dual Xeon E-2650v4 / supermicro X10DRG-Q / 128 Go RAM / GUI GTX 1070 / Cuda GTX 3090 - FSI CM250 - Tangent Elements - Accusys A12S3-p+

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostFri Oct 09, 2020 10:09 pm

Does adding the [usage] column in the media page workaround this?
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

GregAusina

PostFri Oct 09, 2020 10:24 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:Does adding the [usage] column in the media page workaround this?
Nope
Grégoire AUSINA / Gisèle productions
Davinci 18.6.5 on Windows 10 / latest Nvidia studio driver / Dual Xeon E-2650v4 / supermicro X10DRG-Q / 128 Go RAM / GUI GTX 1070 / Cuda GTX 3090 - FSI CM250 - Tangent Elements - Accusys A12S3-p+

digitallysane

Re: Strange behavior in Clip "Usage" submenu

PostSat Oct 10, 2020 7:15 am

chrisbrearley wrote:Can we please revert back to having 'Update usage' in the right-click context menu? The new method is ridiculous. Let's say I have 30 timelines in a project, I now have to open every one of them up to find out which clips are being used. Why?

This is indeed more a bug than a feature.

For unsuspecting users (usually familiar with other software that do this the right way), the usage "feature" is more like a way to mislead you in thinking the clip is safe to delete as it's reported as not being used (if you don't have the luck of having the one and only timeline using it open).

MarcusJB

PostSun Jan 10, 2021 4:16 pm

I came here because I just found out the same bug in Resolve.

I asked myself why certain audio tracks are suddenly not used anymore. I thought the project was corrupt or something because I just worked on the project with a specific song the day before. After I opened the timeline I used the song in, the usage was okay again. And then finding out I have the same problem for all other tracks and clips.

That makes a orginally great feature totally useless because it generates more work than it saves when you have many timelines.

Why not updating the usage of all clips when opening the Media page? Can't be that much calculation power to determine the usage with a database behind. And if it is for big projects: a small button or the old "Update usage" function is perfectly fine.
Windows 10 Pro (21H1)
Ryzen Threadripper 2950X
32GB RAM
MSI RTX 2080 8GB
MSI GTX 1060 6GB
Resolve Studio 17.2.2 Build 4
AOC 32" 4K U3277PWQU

les.warden

PostSat Jan 23, 2021 6:18 pm

Glad I came here and looked this up. Was just trying to cleanup a couple finished projects, ran across a couple suggestions to use the "update usage" menu. I can never get it to even show up. After reading all these replies, it seems to be a useful feature, but if you can't trust it, it's worthless. Add my name to the list for making the usage indicator dynamically updated. I don't see a reason to manually update it. BTW, I'm fairly new to DR, so trying to be extra careful.
DR Studio 18.6.4, DR Speed Editor
MacBook M3 Pro Nov 2023, 18 Core GPU, 18GB LPDDR5
macOS Sonoma 14.2.1

eikonoklastes

PostSun Feb 28, 2021 7:16 am

Clip usage definitely needs some love.

Here are some proposed changes:
  • In any Media Pool view that shows a thumbnail, add an optional thumbnail overlay to indicate that the clip is in usage. Optionally, take it further by making the overlay clickable to drop a menu down to show the usage details. Speaking of which:
  • Change the behaviour of the Usage submenu when you right-click a clip in the Media Pool. Instead of showing each instance of the clip in only the active timeline, show one usage of the clip per timeline in the whole project. That is, if it exists in 5 timelines, list all of those over here as single entries. The clip instances per timeline feature already exists in a more usable form in the Edit Index panel (Filter by Name). A more practical use of the clip usage submenu is to find its existence across all timelines.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests