Noob question on ADR

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Phil H

Noob question on ADR

PostMon Nov 25, 2019 11:31 am

Hi Guys,
I am using ADR for voice overs. I sometimes have 3 or 4 lines of text that needs to be spoken. The problem I have is it does not fit in the screen when I go for a take? I have looked everywhere, youtube tutorials only seem to two or three words. The manual seems to have no reference to it. I am sure I heard somewhere that you could get the dialogue to scroll when you do a take but again I cant seem to find an explanation on how to do this. Could some one help please? Thanks in anticipation.

rick.lang

Re: Noob question on ADR

PostTue Nov 26, 2019 3:04 pm

I’ve used ADR and thought it was well designed for its purpose. I’ve only entered a line at a time and that worked well.

If you have a paragraph of dialogue (or a page of dialogue as in a voiceover), it may not turn out well. When we speak more than a phrase, it likely won’t appear to sync with your video when you’re actually using ADR to replace dialogue in your video rather than as adding a voiceover. I have noticed an actor’s retakes are very repeatable for a phrase (“Shoot the messenger!”) but a whole sentence goes awry due to the pauses or breath that creeps into a sentence and vary inevitably as the actor thinks about the dialogue with each take.

This sentence can easily have a dozen possible durations due to the various pauses, inflections, and possible breaths:

“If I told you once I’ve told you a thousand times always shoot the messenger.”

In a dozen attempts you’ll likely have one or two that sync perfectly to the video.

In December I’m going to record a voiceover that doesn’t sync with words being spoken in the video. I’ll use ADR regardless, as it makes it easy for my voiceover actor to time their sentences properly to match video. One sentence at a time.
Rick Lang

Phil H

PostWed Nov 27, 2019 12:52 pm

Thanks Rick. You have not heard of the scrolling text?

rick.lang

PostFri Nov 29, 2019 5:17 pm

Yes, I’ve use scrolling text but for this voiceover I wanted to get proficient at using ADR with my new CM-4 mics and MixPre-6 II. Because I expect often to be using ADR in its intended mode as dialogue replacement next year.
Rick Lang

Return to Post Production