Fungus on BMPCC4K Sensor

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

akhilgpb

Fungus on BMPCC4K Sensor

PostMon Sep 02, 2019 2:28 pm

For the past few days I am very sad that my dream camera got some problems. I waited 3 moths to get my BMPCC4K to get me after my booking and fortunately I got it on last march. after few usage I found that there are some black spot on my sensor and when I looked in to my sensor I found that there are few dust like dots on my IR glass. Instead of cleaning it I contacted Blackmagic Customer service and they said me that try to clean my IR glass with a Aurora Camera Care Sensor Cleaning Kit . And it cost me 5K Indian Rupees and that was ok because it for my camera, after got my package from amazon I brought my camera with the Sensor cleaning kit to a professional camera service man and after we applied the product we get to know that that spots are not just dust or dirt it's some fungus. And the sad thing is it not over the IR glass it's between IR glass and sensor. When I contacted Blackmagic again they said that I have to change my IR glass and the glass is not included in guaranty, and there are no service centre in India so I have to send my camera to Singapore and for all this I have to Pay USD169($50 for Diagnostics and $119 for the IR glass) It'll be a huge amount for an average Indian person. In addition I have to pay the courier charges to from India to Singapore and back. How a main part of the camera not come in Guaranty? if so Why I should pay Diagnostics charge for a Guaranty product? How could a company selling their products in a county with out a single service centre?. I found that other persons are also have these same issue with their Blackmagic camera from this forum. I kept my camera very safe from humidity and other moisture because I know Kerala, India from where I am from have all these. I put camera by wraps by a cotton cloth and put on a camera bag with lots of silica gel packets and keeping that camera bag on a wooden cupboard. Also I am using other two canon DSLR camera and keeping like this for more than 5 years and had no issue like this before in my life. Truly I am very sad that I bout a camera with my one year savings and only used two - three time after that happened all this.

Main Part is : The professional camera service man told me that it's very easy to clean the IR glass by opening the camera and no need to change the Glass. And Blackmagic Charging 119USD for changing the glass instead of simple cleaning.

Don't know what to do?

Regards,
Akhil Prakash

X101_tomori

Re: Fungus on BMPCC4K Sensor

PostMon Dec 02, 2019 4:28 pm

Hello there,

Am having the same issue, exact same issue 100%. Am currently at a stage whereby am contacting Blackmagic support with all the info required. But it seems am going to get the same response you got from them.

Could this be a legitimate scam? Do you know how much they will make from charging you extra $$$ for spare parts of their own product? From my point of view, i might be wrong BUT warranty should cover everything, even replacing the camera totally, you'll just have to pay for shipping.

Am praying their response should differ from yours, otherwise am going all out against anything BM :ugeek:

I only used mine twice and i kept it under white cloth, left it on my office desk for just 2 month. now its sensor eating virus everywhere on my clips.

Uli Plank

PostMon Dec 02, 2019 10:50 pm

Fungus is a problem that can develop in tropical areas without any mistake in production of a camera.

You should always keep the camera in a dry cabinet when not in use (your lenses too). Silica-gel only helps for a limited time in airtight cases for transport and needs to be replaced or dried regularly.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Krishna Pada

PostTue Dec 03, 2019 3:35 am

akhilprakashgpb@gmail.com wrote:
Main Part is : The professional camera service man told me that it's very easy to clean the IR glass by opening the camera and no need to change the Glass. And Blackmagic Charging 119USD for changing the glass instead of simple cleaning.

Don't know what to do?

Regards,
Akhil Prakash

Akhil, for a professional camera service personnel it's just a few hour's job. I don't know where you are stationed, but in Kolkata or Mumbai it can cost you anything between Rs 500/- to Rs 1500/-

But as Uli said, when not in use, it's important to keep the camera and the lenses in a dry cabinet.
FILMWALLAH.
DR Studio. Mac M1 Studio Ultra 64 GB Ram, T7 for Resolve Cache
UMP G2, BMD Pocket 6K, Canon R5 C
Zeiss CP.3 15, 25, 50, 85. Zeiss Contax 25, 35, 50, 85, 135.

Maheel R Perera

PostTue Dec 03, 2019 11:48 am

I have the similar problem with two BMCC 2.6. It is dust on the inside of the IR Cut filter. I found out that replacing the IR filter is an easy task and the cost of the filter is $15/-from Blackmagic- US. (There are Chinese IR Cut filters available at Ebay also)

When contacted BM- Singapore they informed me that the cameras have to be sent to them as changing the IR Cut filter has to be done at their service facility.
Last edited by Maheel R Perera on Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:59 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Maheel R Perera

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 3:48 pm

Update.

I removed the IR Cut filter on one of the cameras. Camera is BMCC 2.6 MFT version. Removing the filter took less than 2 minutes. I did not use any scissors as the video. I just removed the rubber seal first. It was that easy. How ever the filter could not be cleaned. It is not dust or fungus as I thought. It seems the material of the filter (I do not think it is glass) has deteriorated.Only solution is to replace the filter. I ordered one from Ebay for $ 28/- + Shipping $5/- to Sri Lanka. I will try it first.

akhilgpb

PostFri Jun 12, 2020 7:17 pm

Resolved :

I finally got a way to escape from this situation. Instead of going with Authorised Service Centre in Singapore, After lots of research I found a way by my own. I bought a IR glass from China Through aliexpress and it only cost me 2,200 INR and it was .5mm more thick than original glass and 2mm less in diameter. So we made a custom laser cut outer ring for the filter and changed it with the help of a professional camera service man. 700 for his service and laser cut ring so total I spend 2900INR instead of 30000INR. I checked the footages before and after changing the original IR glass and It giving the same Colour out in outdoor and artificial lighted indoor. So if you have this issue please do not slip in to their service trap. try to fix your camera by yourself or with a professional help. there is no difference visual out, that I am 100% sure and guarantied.

Hope it will help you guys.

Akhil Prakash
+919526557818

williamsanjaya1993

PostSat Sep 12, 2020 11:07 am

Hi guys,

Finally I succesfully replace my own IR Cut Filter on my BMPCC 4K,

Here is what i do:

1. Buy IR Cut Glass on Aliexpress on Tengnashuo Store, 27*1.5mm is perfect size.
2. After it arrived, i go to "Local Glass Store", and the storekeeper break the glass completely, i'm shock!
3. But then the storekeeper put some glue on side and put new glass to it.

It only cost me with Rp 410.000 or $30 without any cost of replacement, the local glass storekeeper give me free service!

I am so happy! I recommend you to put paste yourself, you can use "Alteco Superglue or other superglue" but please be really careful to put it on side of "O" ring, otherwise it will be contaminated!

by the way not all professional camera service can do it, most of them reject to replace mine, so i bring it to local glass store.

thankyou! Hope you can replace it yourself!

mattheusmacedo

PostMon Sep 21, 2020 3:37 pm

I'm facing the same problem. After using the IR Cut Glass from china developer Do you make some comparisons? I mean, Doest it as good as the original one? Here in Brazil they want to charger me more than $400 to replace it.

Really looking to get one from china, but a little insecure about its quality also if it will affect the image quality.

williamsanjaya1993 wrote:Hi guys,

Finally I succesfully replace my own IR Cut Filter on my BMPCC 4K,

Here is what i do:

1. Buy IR Cut Glass on Aliexpress on Tengnashuo Store, 27*1.5mm is perfect size.
2. After it arrived, i go to "Local Glass Store", and the storekeeper break the glass completely, i'm shock!
3. But then the storekeeper put some glue on side and put new glass to it.

It only cost me with Rp 410.000 or $30 without any cost of replacement, the local glass storekeeper give me free service!

I am so happy! I recommend you to put paste yourself, you can use "Alteco Superglue or other superglue" but please be really careful to put it on side of "O" ring, otherwise it will be contaminated!

by the way not all professional camera service can do it, most of them reject to replace mine, so i bring it to local glass store.

thankyou! Hope you can replace it yourself!

Return to Cinematography