HyperDeck Extreme Control for gang control

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

phillipseamore

HyperDeck Extreme Control for gang control

PostMon Dec 02, 2019 3:49 pm

Hi,

I have 6 Hyperdeck Studio Mini's. Would the the HyperDeck Extreme Control allow me to gang start recording on them all at once? Could I set the timecode on all of them from the Extreme Control?

Thanks,
Phil

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: HyperDeck Extreme Control for gang control

PostTue Dec 03, 2019 10:47 am

Based on the manual, it doesn't seem like the HyperDeck Extreme Control has a gang function at the moment. Pressing one of the deck number buttons just enables that individual deck for recording or playback. There is a mysterious M button at the end of the set of numbered deck selection buttons that according to the manual is not enabled yet. It's not clear what this button is intended for, so I suppose it's possible that some kind of gang feature could be added to the controller in the future.

There was some earlier discussion of this here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=96201

Note that there are various 3rd party RS-422 controllers that do include ganging support. A lot of these only have 4 RS-422 outputs although some support more ports (occasionally with an additional breakout box).

There are also some RS-422 switch boxes that allow you to use a single RS-422 controller with multiple decks. For example, the DNF Controls SW1X8 allows for sending RS-422 commands from a single input controller to up to 8 decks simultaneously (and you can usually find used units for under $100 on eBay). So you could use a unit like this with the HyperDeck Extreme Control or another single channel RS-422 controller.

Keep in mind that there is no way to send input timecode to the HyperDeck Mini over RS-422 during recording (and I don't believe such a feature is even part of the basic RS-422 protocol). The RS-422 controller only sends timecode information to the deck during playback, to seek to a particular timecode for playback, for example. During recording the timecode information actually goes the other direction, with the deck sending the current timecode being recorded to the RS-422 controller (this allows the controller to save in and out points for editing, for example).

The only externally generated timecode source that the HyperDeck Mini can use is timecode that is embedded in the SDI input signal.

phillipseamore

PostWed Dec 04, 2019 4:48 pm

Thank you for the very detailed reply Dave.

It's a shame that the Extreme Control can't do gang control, it would have been perfect for this application. I'll have a look around for other RS-422 controllers.

dpictMEDIA

PostWed Dec 04, 2019 4:54 pm

http://hyperdeck.iamjeffamato.com/

Might be an option. I cant remember if this will be frame accurate on start and stops
Aric Mackey

Saskia-Anett Ebelt

PostWed Dec 04, 2019 11:17 pm

HyperSynchron
Controls up to 16 HyperDecks

Type a name of your choice into HyperSynchron app and get unique recording files on your HyperDecks.
Start and monitor your recordings comfortably using an advanced user interface.
See the clip list on your storage disks and navigate using the innovative Jog/Shuttle tool.
Set the record timer and never forget to start your recordings in live situations.

https://apps.apple.com/de/app/hypersync ... 1242530106

https://liveskills.net/hypersynchron/

Connect your HyperDeck to an iOS device via Wi-Fi or Ethernet.
Works with iOS devices running iOS 10 or higher and
with all HyperDecks (from BMD firmware 5.3 and higher) except HyperDeck Shuttle.

Download HyperSynchron One for free to control a single HyperDeck.

https://apps.apple.com/de/app/hypersync ... 1439652093

Best regards, Anett
Blackmagic Atem 1M/E, ATEM Mini/Pro/ISO, 4x Hyperdeck, SmartScope, Videohub, Decklink Extreme, Micro Studio Camera,

Return to Live Production