Please explain Workflow for Adobe Premiere/Aftereffects

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

John Waldorff

Please explain Workflow for Adobe Premiere/Aftereffects

PostSat Jun 15, 2013 11:47 am

Hello,

It seems that at least Premiere does not support the DNG files.
I read people are starting in Resolve and conform and colorgrade the material there and then render it down for editing. But this would not be a Non-Linear Workflow.

So I wonder how to work with Premiere or Aftereffects..

I would prefer to start editing in Premiere or Aftereffects (no problem with staynAE) and then switch back and forth between Resolve and AE.
Is the use of Proxies the solution (http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index. ... 0#msg44250), or can Aftereffects use the DNGs directly and simultaniously with Resolve?

Thank you.

Best Regards

John Richard

Re: Please explain Workflow for Adobe Premiere/Aftereffects

PostSat Jun 15, 2013 2:01 pm

One common workflow used is:

1. Start CinemaDNG files in Resolve and do a Primary basic grade

2. Export Proxies out of Resolve to Premiere/AE and do your work

3. Export an XML out of Premiere to Resolve and reconnect XML with original CinemaDNG files

4. Do your final grade (secondary correction, power windows, etc) in Resolve on your original CinemaDNG files and export out your final "Deliverables" from Resolve.

Resolve 10 will probably provide some better work flows.

Another possibility for short projects is to merely pick your best takes and fully grade in Resolve and then go out to Premiere/AE and deliver after the edit from their encoding solution for final deliverable files.

In the end, as it currently stands, there is no easy clean workflow... but the power of what Resolve can do with footage, especially DNG or other raw footage, is worth the effort IMO.
Last edited by John Richard on Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David Sandberg

PostSat Jun 15, 2013 2:53 pm

John Waldorff wrote:...colorgrade the material there and then render it down for editing. But this would not be a Non-Linear Workflow.

I get the impression that you think people are exporting one long clip from resolve and then chopping off the unnecessary bits. It's like John says, Resolve exports proxies, you edit them and then update Resolve via an EDL, XML or AAF and your complete edit is now in Resolve.

You can do effects and tweaks in After Effects and then replace the original shots in Resolve.
I was pleasantly surprised how straight forward the Resolve wrokflow was. It seemed much more cumbersome when I first read about it.

John Waldorff

PostSat Jun 15, 2013 4:02 pm

Sounds great, I will try it with some demo DNG over the weekend.
Thank you!

Hearnia

PostSun Jun 16, 2013 12:42 pm

John Richard wrote:One common workflow used is:

1. Start CinemaDNG files in Resolve and do a Primary basic grade

2. Export Proxies out of Resolve to Premiere/AE and do your work

3. Export an XML out of Premiere to Resolve and reconnect XML with original CinemaDNG files

4. Do your final grade (secondary correction, power windows, etc) in Resolve on your original CinemaDNG files and export out your final "Deliverables" from Resolve.

Resolve 10 will probably provide some better work flows.

How do you export your final deliverables? ProRes 4444? I imagine you have to take that video track back into Premiere to apply transitions and render it with audio?
vimeo.com/hearnstudios

David Sandberg

PostSun Jun 16, 2013 1:30 pm

Hearnia wrote:How do you export your final deliverables? ProRes 4444? I imagine you have to take that video track back into Premiere to apply transitions and render it with audio?

From my testing so far transitions are imported into Resolve as well (at least normal crossfades are when importing an AAF file, haven't tried anything more advanced yet). You can also apply transitions directly in Resolve.

Personally I would export as a TIFF image sequence and use that (with separate audio files) for making DCP's, Blurays etc.

Return to Cinematography