Blackmagic RAW 1.6 - Premiere Pro bug

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

jonkristinsson

Blackmagic RAW 1.6 - Premiere Pro bug

PostThu Nov 28, 2019 11:30 am

Hi,

We've encountered a bug exporting Blackmagic RAW footage from Premiere Pro.

On all our machines, exporting a sequence with BRAW footage results in an error half-way through:

Using Hardware acceleration we get:

Code: Select all
Export Error
Error compiling movie.

Accelerated Renderer Error

Unable to produce frame.

Writing with exporter: H.264
Writing to file: \\?\P:\1136_IMP_RegionH_udvikling\Ouput\Før_Interviews_v01_1.mp4
Writing file type: H264
Around timecode: 00:06:02:19
Rendering at offset: 360.880 seconds
Component: H.264 of type Exporter
Selector: 9
Error code: -1609629695

Using Software mode we get:

Code: Select all
Export Error
Error compiling movie.

Render Error

Render returned error.

Writing with exporter: H.264
Writing to file: \\?\P:\1136_IMP_RegionH_udvikling\Ouput\Før_Interviews_v01_2_1.mp4
Writing file type: H264
Around timecode: 00:04:47:14
Rendering at offset: 285.680 seconds
Component: H.264 of type Exporter
Selector: 9
Error code: -1610153867

This is running BRAW Plugin 1.6.
Everything works fine if we downgrade to BRAW Plugin 1.5.2, which is what we'll do for now.

This happens on multiple machines, both PC and Mac.

My PC's specs are:
i7-6800K
2x 1080 GTX (Studio Drivers 26.21.14.4128)
Windows 10 v: 10.0.18362 Build 18362

Nick Lavigne

Re: Blackmagic RAW 1.6 - Premiere Pro bug

PostThu Nov 28, 2019 8:46 pm

You should export to dnxhr/hd or prores then to h.264 this is best practices on premiere especially when effect are involved.
Last edited by Nick Lavigne on Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Nov 29, 2019 5:01 am

Hi, are you able to provide a project file and a small amount of media that reproduces the issue?
We have tried to repro here on both Mac and Win but don't have any problems. Thanks!
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Snagel

PostMon Dec 02, 2019 3:41 pm

Same problem here. The export crashes every time. H264, Prores...

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Dec 02, 2019 7:33 pm

Are you able to provide a project file and a small amount of media that reproduces the issue? We still haven't received one or been able to reproduce the issue ourselves.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

ematson5897

PostFri Dec 06, 2019 5:54 pm

Just started having this problem in the last few days as well. Are your clips scaled? The error has gone away once all our clips were set to 100% scale

We also had success rendering small chunks on the timeline one at a time, and then exporting using previews

Jamie LeJeune

PostSat Dec 07, 2019 7:46 am

Same exact render problem here with the same error messages.

Shot BRAW for a client that only edits in Premiere Pro. I told them to just edit it Resolve, they said no, so I told them to make proxy files and use those in Premiere, and they said no. Instead, they attempted to edit BRAW in the latest Premiere 2020 version with the v1.6 BRAW plugin on Mac running 10.14.6.
They haven't been able to render anything out of Premiere from the BRAW source files.

Playback and editing works, but the sequence will not render and will not export. Premiere Pro just hangs and throws up errors at every attempt to render or export. The "use previews" export option doesn't fix it. Changing the export codec doesn't fix it. Changing timeline settings, changing clip settings, nothing fixes it.

I've even tried exporting an XML and pulling it into a fresh Premiere Pro project, but that didn't work either. There's not a single effect on the timeline, this is just the first assembly cut and I can't get it to kick out a simple export. I cannot figure out what the problem is with it.

In an effort to at least get an assembly edit out, I had the client export an XML and pulled that into Resolve. All of the clips are way out of sync relative to the original sequence. Totally useless.

In another attempt to fix the issue, we rendered all the BRAW to ProResLT in Resolve. Then in Premiere Pro set the BRAW clips offline to relink them to the ProResLT. That made a complete mess as all the clips in the sequence have shifted sync — not audio-video sync, instead it's literally as if the clips were all slipped in the timeline. It makes no sense how that could happen as the ProResLT proxies have exactly the same timecode as the original BRAW files.

They are going to have to start over completely and recut the assembly from scratch using the ProResLT proxies.

How is anyone using BRAW in Premiere Pro at all for any normal workflow? It appears to be totally broken in that app.

EDIT: I had the client uninstall v1.6 of the BRAW plugin and install the earlier version 1.5.2
At first that made the Premiere Pro project crash upon trying to do anything to a BRAW clip in the project. But, we were able to export an XML of the sequence and pull that into a fresh project and that, finally, would function and render and export. What a pain in the ass.
BMD really needs to look into fixing these issues with v1.6 of the BRAW plugin for Premiere Pro.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

awakeman

PostSat Dec 07, 2019 2:33 pm

I went back to the 1.5.2 to render my project. Problem is I get random errors with that version but at least I can render out the project. This is becoming a nighmare!

Are people having better stability with Autokroma???

mickymirage

PostSat Dec 07, 2019 7:55 pm

I'm also having this error rendering previews. I would jump back to 1.5.2 but the color temp of my footage is bugging out.

Error code: -1609629695

Maybe by the time I finish cutting this problem will be resolved lol

mickymirage

PostSat Dec 07, 2019 9:26 pm

I am having the same set of errors. Can render previews with 1.5.2 but the color balance is jacked up on some clips.

BrianC

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 4:51 pm

I had the same issue too and going back to 1.5.2 did let me export but it does crash when you try to make adjustments. Guess that defeats the purpose of RAW.

Tested a couple of brand new clips with 1.6 and it seemed to export out so it could be the migration from 1.5.2 to 1.6 in an existing project that creates a lot of issues.

ericmillercbc

PostThu Dec 12, 2019 6:21 pm

I had a few sequences that would not export to H.264 from Media Encoder or directly from Premiere. I was able to export by uninstalling Blackmagic RAW 1.6 and downgrading to 1.5.2, but now none of the settings in the raw plugin panel will have any effect on the clip, the drop-down options are populated with endless string of "aaaaaaaa..." , on some clips the entire raw plugin panel is grayed out.

There have been a lot of headaches and instability so far with Blackmagic RAW. It would make life much easier and less stressful if things would just work properly. All the money we pay for cameras, computers, software, and this is what we deal with. Perhaps Premiere will natively support Blackmagic RAW sometime soon?

donaldbaldie

PostFri Dec 13, 2019 11:32 am

My colleague and I are both on iMac i9's / OS 10.15.1 / BM RAW 1.6.

Same export error every time from Premiere - Error code: -1609629695.

Currently exporting xml to Resolve for exports.

quoole

PostSat Dec 14, 2019 11:07 pm

Obviously negating the point of RAW, but I've found if you go into the master effects settings and disable the Blackmagic RAW effect, then it will export fine.
I also found that if you toggle it on and off a bunch of times, it seems to get stuck applying the effect whilst deactivated and that seemed to carry through to export.

The weird thing is, it isn't constant on every project. One that I've been working on had issues on half the clips. And on another, one sequence exported totally fine and a second refused to export anything at all.

I'm going to try downgrading raw as others have suggested and see what that does or I might just switch back to Pro Res until this is properly fixed or until I learn and am confident in resolve!

(I used to use the Autokroma plugin, I don't fully remember all the issues, but I did one project in it and immediately went back to prores. One I remember was that it didn't properly use hardware encoding and so everything played back really laggy.)

jorgepzul

PostSun Dec 15, 2019 11:54 am

I'm experiencing the same issues.

I have run many tests now and it seems to start happening when resizing the clips.

I've tried to edit a sequence with a bunch of clips, that were recorded with differents settings, and I was able to export the project after every editing step (cutting, sabilizing, color grading), until I resized the clips. The most annoying thing about this is that once the error happend to your project, it will persist forever, even if you restore the original size of the clips..

It is a shame, as I wanted to buy a BMPCC4K this week, and I was just testing the clips to be sure that the workflow would be nice..

I'm very dissapointed :(

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Dec 16, 2019 12:32 am

Please try 1.6.1 on the website if you're having export issues with the Premiere plugin. No one ended up sending us a project to help us reproduce but we think we identified the issue.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/

Jamie LeJeune

PostMon Dec 16, 2019 1:24 am

CaptainHook wrote:Please try 1.6.1 on the website if you're having export issues with the Premiere plugin. No one ended up sending us a project to help us reproduce but we think we identified the issue.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/
Thanks Hook!

Would have liked to send you a project with source files, but it was a multi-hour multi-cam performance video in the case where my client had trouble, so the source files were all huge
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

donaldbaldie

PostMon Dec 16, 2019 2:14 am

I just installed 1.6.1 and the export issue I was having seems to be fixed.

Thank you for the prompt support!

quoole

PostMon Dec 16, 2019 6:14 pm

Thanks! Seems to have fixed my issue too!

ericmillercbc

PostWed Dec 18, 2019 9:32 pm

Exporting is working...

But I am still seeing strange behavior with the plugin:
-Some braw clips have the entire braw panel grayed out.
-Some braw clips, the braw panel doesn't change anything when making adjustments.
-I even have one case where the adjustments to the braw settigns of a clip are affecting a separate clip.

Considering a switch to Resolve more and more every day.

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Dec 19, 2019 12:46 am

Can you post a small project with source clips that reproduce the issues so we can look into it?

ericmillercbc

PostTue Dec 31, 2019 6:25 pm

Still seeing issues with 1.6.1:

-It seems the Blackmagic RAW plugin is not compatible with older versions of itself. I have a particular months-long project that required me to downgrade to an older version of the plugin to avoid endless "low level exception" errors, and just to be able to play back any braw clips within the project.
-When I am downgraded to 1.5.2, this particular project will play clips without errors, but every field in the braw plugin panel is filled with endless string of "aaaaaa..."

So I guess the lesson is do not upgrade in the middle of a project, but I have on-going projects with several clients and I can't just make a new project and re-import the media because then my logging info and selections will be gone. If I could get xmp metadata to work properly with braw I would be able to just make new projects with the latest plugin installed, but I can't braw clips to work properly with xmp.

mickymirage

PostThu Jan 02, 2020 1:47 am

I'm going to upgrade the plugin tomorrow to 1.6.1 and see if my issues with the raw panel are solved. If not I will be happy to provide a clip and a sequence

mash907

PostThu Jan 09, 2020 8:19 pm

Same issues here. I can edit fine - renders hang up at random spots
Workaround... Chop the project into little chunks, render through ME with Mercury Software Only... that's the only way I'm getting anything out...
hopefully there will be a fix for this soon.

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jan 10, 2020 12:15 am

Have you tried 1.6.1 - it should be fixed in that version.

patterson

PostSat Jan 11, 2020 12:42 am

I had the same rendering error as OP and noticed I was running braw 1.6 and Premiere 13 so I thought what the heck, I'll update both to braw 1.6.1 and Premiere 2020 (v14) that should probably fix it.

Well, now Premiere doesn't even recognize .braw at all. I've tried uninstalling/ re-installing both but nothing. I even tried re-installing Premiere 13 but it continues to say File Format Not Recognized!

From my understanding, the plugin should be here: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\7.0\MediaCore

but it's not, so how do i manually "install" the .braw plugin so I can get Premiere to recognize braw again. Apparently installing via the msi file doesn't install the plugin in the right folder for Premiere to see.

I even tried searching my entire computer for BlackmagicRawPremiereImporter.prm to no avail.

Please help I have a bunch of interviews I'm trying to export and this holding us back.

levm90

PostSat Jan 11, 2020 9:15 pm

Having this issue in 1.6.1. We're editing a feature film and it's very frustrating not being able to render out rough cuts. Hoping BlackMagic/Adobe can fix this soon.

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 12:53 am

Can you post a small sample project with media that shows the issue?

Andrew_Gray

PostWed Jan 15, 2020 4:16 am

Hi. I am also having a similar problem with BRAW 1.6.1 in Adobe Premiere 2020. I drop a clip on the timeline, edit RAW parameters such as ISO, then once i leave the clip and go to another and come back, the raw functionality is totally grayed out and i can't change them. When I initially click on the clip i see the string of "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" appear for a moment, but then change to the adjustable settings. Once i click away from the clip and click back, the options are grayed out as seen below.

BRAW_Problem.JPG
Here in file you can see raw options are grayed out.
BRAW_Problem.JPG (298.45 KiB) Viewed 11176 times

PendaPro

PostMon Jan 20, 2020 11:04 pm

I am having the same issue with 1.6.1 and 1.6 on both my Imac and my Mac book. My timeline has photos,effects and scaling. I tried downgrading to previous version (1.5.1 and all that) no luck. Im very frustrated, please release a patch.

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 10:55 pm

PendaPro wrote:I am having the same issue with 1.6.1 and 1.6 on both my Imac and my Mac book. My timeline has photos,effects and scaling. I tried downgrading to previous version (1.5.1 and all that) no luck. Im very frustrated, please release a patch.

Can you please provide a small project with source that reproduces the issue so we can investigate? Can you list the specs (CPU, OS version) of your iMac and MacBook? No one has sent us anything yet and we can't reproduce here on 1.6.1 yet.

Fabián Aguirre

PostSun Jan 26, 2020 9:15 pm

Hello all,

Add me to the list with a client who has encountered this issue on Premiere 2019 (running Mojave). It's also a relatively large project with multiple tracks, but no effects, transitions or anything too complicated otherwise. We're getting lots of translation errors when exporting an XML so I can grade in Resolve. The timeline comes through in Resolve but lots of clips are missing and things are out of sync. We simply cannot get the edit out of Premiere for finishing in Resolve.

60152473381__74C8DA13-71C8-4323-A543-934667130C5C.jpeg
60152473381__74C8DA13-71C8-4323-A543-934667130C5C.jpeg (232 KiB) Viewed 10753 times

We've tried downgrading to Braw 1.5.2, turning off the Blackmagic Raw "effect" and nothing seems to work. I considered having the client try the Autokrama plugin, but after reading their FAQs, it sounds like that's not a great idea either since the project was started with the BMD plugin.

The client is in the middle of other projects so I have resisted recommending they upgrade to the latest build of Premiere and Catalina. In the meantime, I have asked the client to prepare and export a short project file+source to share with you, Hook, to see if you can replicate the problem.

Where should I send the link to?

Thank you,

Fabián
Fabián Aguirre
Cinematographer / Steadicam Operator
www.theunderstory.co

levm90

PostMon Jan 27, 2020 3:26 am

I was finally able to get past this by uninstalling v1.6.1, going back to 1.5.2, and then reinstalling 1.6.1. Now it seems to be working flawlessly for me *knock on wood*, but my colleague is still unable to export most sequences from his computer even after repeating my process and reinstalling 1.6.1. @CaptainHook, do you have an email we can forward a sample project and source to? Thanks.

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jan 27, 2020 10:05 pm

Fabián Aguirre wrote:We're getting lots of translation errors when exporting an XML so I can grade in Resolve.

Can you send me the XML?

levm90 wrote:do you have an email we can forward a sample project and source to? Thanks.

Just dm me a link to the project, thanks.

yojimbo1x

PostFri Jan 31, 2020 9:15 pm

I too am unable to access my Braw settings in Premiere 2020 in the effects controls panel. I can change things once and they will Gray Out immediately after this. This is really messing up my workflow. Please advise! Having access to RAW settings was pretty much the main reason I bought this cam...

antoine

PostMon Feb 24, 2020 3:38 pm

Fabián Aguirre wrote:Hello all,

Add me to the list with a client who has encountered this issue on Premiere 2019 (running Mojave). It's also a relatively large project with multiple tracks, but no effects, transitions or anything too complicated otherwise. We're getting lots of translation errors when exporting an XML so I can grade in Resolve. The timeline comes through in Resolve but lots of clips are missing and things are out of sync. We simply cannot get the edit out of Premiere for finishing in Resolve.

60152473381__74C8DA13-71C8-4323-A543-934667130C5C.jpeg

We've tried downgrading to Braw 1.5.2, turning off the Blackmagic Raw "effect" and nothing seems to work. I considered having the client try the Autokrama plugin, but after reading their FAQs, it sounds like that's not a great idea either since the project was started with the BMD plugin.

The client is in the middle of other projects so I have resisted recommending they upgrade to the latest build of Premiere and Catalina. In the meantime, I have asked the client to prepare and export a short project file+source to share with you, Hook, to see if you can replicate the problem.

Where should I send the link to?

Thank you,

Fabián

Hi Fabian, if you have time shift when .XML reimported into DaVinci Resolve please read this article https://autokroma.com/blog/BRAW-Wrong-Timecode-Adobe-Premiere-Pro/

In any case, the "translation errors" you get are 100% normal : it means you can't use the same PPro Source Settings for Blackmagic RAW in DaVinci Resolve. But you can use the Sidecar workflow !
BRAW Studio FREE and Premium for Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects, with a brand new Desktop .BRAW Player and Color Grader, as well as an automatic White Balance Color Picker tool

antoine

PostTue Mar 03, 2020 4:49 pm

If you really suffer from the Adobe bug (23.976 / 29.97 fps timecode), we have a new feature in our Premiere Pro Panel with BRAW Studio to export from a timeline a corrected FCP .XML. More information here : https://www.autokroma.com/blog/BRAW-Studio-Export-XML-DaVinci-Resolve/
BRAW Studio FREE and Premium for Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects, with a brand new Desktop .BRAW Player and Color Grader, as well as an automatic White Balance Color Picker tool

Return to Post Production