ATEM Mini not recognized by computer as "webcam"

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

dennyfowler

ATEM Mini not recognized by computer as "webcam"

PostMon Dec 16, 2019 1:01 am

EDIT: Solution was to switch "Allow apps to access your camera" to ON in "Camera privacy settings" (Windows 10).

I can't get OBS and various other programs to properly recognize the ATEM Mini USB "webcam".

For background: I've read the relevant sections of the manual as far as set-up, connecting to computer, etc, and I've installed the Blackmagic "ATEM Switchers 8.1 Update" software from 12 Nov 2019.

I have two cameras going into the ATEM Mini, both showing fine and switching/cutting properly on the HDMI-connected external monitor.

I've tried connecting the ATEM Mini to my computer using two different USB-C to USB-A cables -- one USB 3.1 and one USB 2.0 -- using different 2.0 and 3.0 ports on my computer. The result is the same.

Software interactions:
I'm able to control the switcher perfectly from the ATEM Software Control program, though whenever I first open the program, I get "No device connected" displayed for a few seconds before the control panel interface appears. From there I can control the switcher without issue.

In OBS, the ATEM Mini is not recognized and doesn't show up as an option when setting up a new Video Capture Device.

Facebook Live's camera dropdown shows "Blackmagic Design (1edb:be49)", but when I select it, it says "Unable to find camera. Please connect a camera and verify correct camera permissions in your browser."

In Skype camera settings, it doesn't see it at all: "No device found."

Not sure where to go from here, so I'd really appreciate any ideas or suggestions. Thank you!
Last edited by dennyfowler on Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:46 am, edited 3 times in total.

dennyfowler

Re: ATEM Mini not recognized by computer as "webcam"

PostMon Dec 16, 2019 2:38 am

I tried the ATEM Mini on an old Windows laptop -- drivers were immediately installed and the ATEM was recognized in OBS. On the desktop described in the OP, the device is still not recognized.

On this older laptop, I didn't install any Blackmagic software first. I just plugged the ATEM in vis USB and it worked.

All the "Device Manager" drivers seem to be identical. One notable difference between laptop and desktop is that upon inserting the USB cable into the laptop, I got the "Windows has recognized a new device" alert as it installed and configured it. This alert never came up on the desktop, as if it never properly recognized and configured the device, despite the presence of the drivers.

Ian Morrish

PostMon Dec 16, 2019 3:10 am

What version of Windows are your using?
The USB Webcam feature only seems to work on Windows 10, even though the ATEM software control and setup program work on Windows 7.
Regards,
Ian Morrish
Video Integrated Scripting Environment
(Windows PowerShell with ATEM driver + more)
https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com

Xtreemtec

PostMon Dec 16, 2019 11:14 am

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... s/W-APS-13
Control Panel Included

ATEM Software Control Panel included free for Mac 10.13 High Sierra, Mac 10.14 Mojave or later and Windows 10.

Windows 10 Only. ;) And i think also only 64 bit version. But might be wrong here..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

dennyfowler

PostTue Dec 17, 2019 12:42 am

It turns out to have been a simple settings issue in Windows' "Camera privacy settings" – you have to affirmatively choose to "Allow apps to access your camera" and grant "camera access" for the computer. Simple as setting those to ON, and it worked.

In a separate concern, I'm finding that the ATEM is only properly recognized when using a USB 2.0 port. When plugged in to a USB 3.0 port, the ATEM Mini is recognized as a camera, but I get a black screen for video, or just the top few rows of pixels. (Tried two different USB 3.1 cables, as well as USB 2.0 cable.)

(I am running Windows 10 64 bit, by the way.)

Ian Morrish

PostTue Dec 17, 2019 12:53 am

I'm using a PC with USB3.0 only and a cable 3.0 A plug <> 3.1 type-C plug
No problems with Windows 10 and the Mini appearing in OBS.
Regards,
Ian Morrish
Video Integrated Scripting Environment
(Windows PowerShell with ATEM driver + more)
https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com

ItsCool

PostTue Mar 31, 2020 10:11 pm

Tx. had the same issue. First it turned out that I pushed my new USB-C connector not hard enough. Click...and yes the ATEM was seen in my web conference software. Alas: Video only, no sound, neither from mic in or camera mics. And yes, my HDMI output produces both image and sound. Any ideas?

PS: Laptop is Surface Book. Mic is Rode lavalier.

July 1st Update: swapped to ATEM Mini Pro and audio works now. Only need to fix the HDMI lipsync when streaming in webconferences. But Daniel had a good post on that ;-)
Last edited by ItsCool on Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jacksonrod21

PostTue Jun 30, 2020 8:20 pm

I'm having the same issue but with a 2017 iMac running Catalina OS. I feel like it could just be issues with Catalina OS as well because it's got some bugs, but half the time my Mac recognizes the ATEM mini pro as a webcam and other times it doesn't.

It didn't seem to have any trouble before the last black magic firmware update. Has anyone had this problem?

droopydog500

PostThu Aug 06, 2020 5:06 pm

jacksonrod21 wrote:I'm having the same issue but with a 2017 iMac running Catalina OS. I feel like it could just be issues with Catalina OS as well because it's got some bugs, but half the time my Mac recognizes the ATEM mini pro as a webcam and other times it doesn't.

I am having this problem as well connecting the USB-C port to my MacBook Pro. I am only able to recover by power cycling the ATEM Mini Pro.

Gustavete

PostFri Aug 07, 2020 8:52 pm

Hello friends! SAME ISSUE!
I have acquired an ATEM MINI PRO and I have still managed, after 3 days of testing, that windows 10 recognize the device. I have replaced the cable 3 times and nothing. My ATEM is not showing up on any of my devices. Yes I can connect via Ethernet. I will thank you for your help

stanleyleary

PostSat Aug 08, 2020 4:51 am

I just got the ATEM Mini Pro today. When first hooked up it worked. Some reason it stopped.

I did update the firmware when I first installed it to version 8.4
Running on Macbook Pro 15" 2016
Catalina version 10.15.6
2.9 GHz Quadpcore Intel core i7
16 gb memory

I can use the ATEM Software control and control the device, but cannot get any of my other software like Zoom, Skype or others to see it as a webcam option in their pull down menus.

Please help

dianesands

PostSat Aug 08, 2020 7:46 pm

ATEM Mini Pro not recognized by MacBook PRO as webcam. I see there is a ATEM switcher 8.4 update which I am downloading now. . .

stanleyleary

PostMon Aug 10, 2020 7:06 pm

Apparently if you need a webcam input for something like Zoom, then you cannot use the Ethernet as the connection.

So I can plug my ATEM Pro into my Macbook Pro laptop out of the USB and it works just fine, but now I can no longer use the USB to record to hard drive. I must then do this on my computer with another software like OBS.

Also I noticed you cannot modify the XML for Zoom. If I am wrong please, please, please let me know and how to do this. Then I could use the Ethernet connection.

Last question is the ATEM Pro processing images all the same if they come out of the Ethernet or the USB output?

jsurya

PostThu Aug 13, 2020 12:27 am

If you would like to use ATEM MINI PRO to do the following simultaneously:
1. Record using USB-C
2. Live Conference Using Zoom
3. Stream Live to Youtube or Facebook (one of them directly and many using third party distribution)
4. View out put on a Monitor (multi-view or otherwise)

Do the following to achieve all the above at the same time:

1. Connect ATEM MINI PRO to internet using Ethernet
2. Connect External Hard Disk to USB-C for recording
3. Connect HDMI OUT to a Camera Capture Device like Magwell HDMI Plus (best choice), or Elgato Cam Link or Black Magic Ultra Studio Mini Recorder
4. Connect Magwell HDMI Plus Loopback HDMI to a Monitor HDMI for output viewing including multi-view
5. Connect Magwell USB connection to a Computer USB for Zoom Conference
6. Enter Youtube/Facebook Stream ID on the ATEM Mini Pro software control directly for live stream

THE ABOVE WORKS GREAT FOR ME. ESPECIALLY MAGWELL fills that of External Monitor viewing and acting as Computer Web Cam for Zoom etc. Elgato and Blackmagic Ultra Studio does not have loopback connection

Hope this helps.

ItsCool

PostSun Aug 16, 2020 11:19 am

Tx J,

Interesting solution and seems to be complete. Just that it adds a cost similar to a new ATEM Mini ;-) . In case the recording is not essential (so only option 2/3/4 need to be combined), just be aware that a (paid) Zoom account also allows for streaming live to Facebook/YouTube. For some this might be a solution without having extra hardware.

Cheers,

Jack.

RichardJolly

PostSat Sep 19, 2020 11:50 am

ItsCool wrote:Interesting solution and seems to be complete. Just that it adds a cost similar to a new ATEM Mini

I can recommend this cheap HDMI capture dongle, which I saw recommended by a vlogger. Works every time, I use two at a time plus a Blackmagic Mini Recorder to feed 3 x inputs into Wirecast:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/DIWUER-Capture ... 544&sr=8-3

When I need remore contributors to connect a camera to Zoom, Rendezvous or VT Transport I order another and have it sent directly to them.

ezavala7

PostSat Nov 07, 2020 2:08 pm

I experiencing the same issue, ATEM Mini not recognized by a computer as webcam.
Anybody has instructions how to connect the ATEM via USB, and a laptop recognize the ATEM as a webcam? either for Windows 7Pro or Windows 10Pro. Thanks!

Bob van Beek

PostMon Dec 28, 2020 11:35 pm

I still have the same problem, ATEM-MINI PRO WEBCAM over USB not recognized by Windows 10 64-bit
- I can control the ATEM through LAN
- when I connected ATEM on USB, it makes the connection ( because when i update the software the progressbar on the update window starts to run, till 60%, then it stops, Jumps to 70% and then the update process is canceled

On the ATEM i have 8.5.2 and try to update to 8.5.3in

I also uninstalled the BM Software, restart the computer , create a new update, restart the computer, still no drivers in the Device Manager visible ( yes many others)

I fact, there is a USB connection, because the reaction of installation software, progress bar

i am in contact with BMSupport,

Streaming over LAN, this al works, but i need ATEM also recognized as Webcam for Teams.

georgev

PostTue Jan 19, 2021 8:58 am

G'Day All

Solved by accident I Think :-)

I have two ATEM Mini's, the original one and an ISO. When I connected the original ATEM Mini into my NUC USB-3 port, it was recognised as a USB webcam, however when I connected the ATEM Mini ISO it did not. I found that very odd, :roll: I was using a "USB-3" (the blue plug) cable when I tried it unsuccessfully the first time.

I immediately thought that the cable was faulty, :evil: so I swapped the cable with a "USB-2" (the white plug) cable that happen to be terminated with a USB-C connector and to my surprise the ISO sprang to life. I then connected the original ATEM Mini back again and it worked on the "USB-2" as well. I then thought just make sure that the "USB-3" cable was faulty and maybe not properly seated, I swapped it back and the old ATEM Mini sprang to life!? :o I thought that maybe I did not connect it properly first time so I connected the ISO back again and the NUC once again did not recognise it as a webcam.

It really seemed odd to me, :idea: so as an experiment I swapped out the "USB-3"(blue plug) for the "USB-2"(white plug) and the ATEM Mini ISO immediately got recognised as a webcam..

It turn's out, if you want to use the Mini PRO or ISO as a webcam for Zoom or Teams etc.. you have to use a USB-2 cable. I suspect it might have something to do with them being able to record video at a high frame rates via the USB port on the PRO & ISO models, as such if you use a USB-3 cable I suspect that there are signals on pins that are not used in a webcam. So that is why (speculation on my part) the computer does not recognise it as a webcam.

The only people that can shed light on this is BMD support.. :?

Regards GV

Motwnk

PostSun Jan 24, 2021 8:21 pm

I am on my second ATEM mini pro unit. Both have acted the same way in regards to not being seen as a webcam by the computer.

With both units, initial setup went smooth. Take the switcher out of the box and plug into power. Connect camera 1 (video camera). Connect camera 2 (HDMI feed from a pc). Connect via USB-c to another pc running zoom. On the first connection, the computer sees the switcher and says "setting up Black Magic device". Launch Zoom, select which camera to use and chose Black Magic Design. The zoom feed worked fine and actually tried 2 or 3 different meetings.

The next day when I went to church to get ready to live stream the service, the computer would no longer recognize the Atem mini pro. After a few rounds with B&H support, and web searches including this forum, I connected with Black Magic Support. They had me send the unit in. After 3 weeks, (including Christmas and New Years) they determined they couldn't fix the unit and they sent me a new one. I have tried both USB-c 3.0 and 2.0 cables with no difference.

Yesterday, I repeated the same steps as above to setup and test the new unit. It worked like expected. This morning when I arrived at church the computer would not see the switcher. With further testing, two other PCs do not see the switcher either. One of the PCs is connected to an ethernet switch and so is the ATEM mini pro. I can use the control software to operate the ATEM that way.

With the first unit, I thought I just got a lemon. Now that it has happened the same way twice it is too coincidental.

Has anyone else seen this behavior?

Phil -

lancehough

PostSun Jan 31, 2021 5:36 pm

I am experiencing the same issues of not being able to get the ATEM Mini to connect as a webcam. I have control through the software, but cannot get Zoom or Teams to recognize it as a webcam. Would definitely love to understand the root of this issue so we can get this working.

I too have tried connecting through both USB2.0 and 3.0 but it made no difference.

billshander

PostTue Mar 02, 2021 1:12 pm

I had the same problem - on a Mac. The only thing that fixed it was power cycling the ATEM Mini. That did hte trick immediately.

GMWinters

PostSun Mar 07, 2021 5:09 pm

I am experiencing the same issues of not being able to get the ATEM Mini Pro to connect as a webcam. I have control through the software, but cannot get Facebook Live to recognize it as a webcam through any browser.
This isn't happening every time. It will work for about a month then, then it won't. I have gone through all the steps listed here and it will still not work until I go through the same steps three to four times.

Would definitely love to understand the root of this issue so we can get this working.

ATEM Mini Pro is connected to the desktop through USB 3.0(USB-C).

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700 CPU @ 3.00GHz 3.00 GHz
Ram: 64.0 GB (63.8 GB usable)

I haven't tried georgev's solution.

Thanks GMW
georgev wrote:G'Day All

Solved by accident I Think :-)

I have two ATEM Mini's, the original one and an ISO. When I connected the original ATEM Mini into my NUC USB-3 port, it was recognised as a USB webcam, however when I connected the ATEM Mini ISO it did not. I found that very odd, :roll: I was using a "USB-3" (the blue plug) cable when I tried it unsuccessfully the first time.

I immediately thought that the cable was faulty, :evil: so I swapped the cable with a "USB-2" (the white plug) cable that happen to be terminated with a USB-C connector and to my surprise the ISO sprang to life. I then connected the original ATEM Mini back again and it worked on the "USB-2" as well. I then thought just make sure that the "USB-3" cable was faulty and maybe not properly seated, I swapped it back and the old ATEM Mini sprang to life!? :o I thought that maybe I did not connect it properly first time so I connected the ISO back again and the NUC once again did not recognise it as a webcam.

It really seemed odd to me, :idea: so as an experiment I swapped out the "USB-3"(blue plug) for the "USB-2"(white plug) and the ATEM Mini ISO immediately got recognised as a webcam..

It turn's out, if you want to use the Mini PRO or ISO as a webcam for Zoom or Teams etc.. you have to use a USB-2 cable. I suspect it might have something to do with them being able to record video at a high frame rates via the USB port on the PRO & ISO models, as such if you use a USB-3 cable I suspect that there are signals on pins that are not used in a webcam. So that is why (speculation on my part) the computer does not recognise it as a webcam.

The only people that can shed light on this is BMD support.. :?

Regards GV

This is a serious communications issue Blackmagicdesign.
V/R GMW

0301chris

PostThu Mar 11, 2021 12:47 pm

same problem with my Atem mini on a win 10 PC. zoom app lists the Blackmagic Atem as a video source. It often also displays the video signal but randomly does not. happened yesterday before hopping on a call so I had to use my Logitech 920 backup that always work. Tried various cables ranging from USB 2.0 to 3.1 gen 2, various lengths and various ports on my PC. Did not identify a pattern, yet.
This state of affairs makes the Atem unfit for serious con calls or teaching where I really don't need any additional drivers of uncertainty...

Tim_Partridge

PostSun Mar 14, 2021 8:52 pm

I replaced my ATEM Mini Pro with my new ATEM Mini Extreme ISO and the web cam no longer works on a type C to type C in a USB 3 port. (I tried both USB outputs on the ATEM.)

I used the the tip above about plugging into a USB 2 port and it works. (So long as I switch on the ATEM after the laptop, something I also have to do with the ATEM Mini Pro.)

So yes, it looks as though there may be an issue with the ISO models.

Regards,

Tim

Xtreemtec

PostMon Mar 15, 2021 12:15 pm

USB 3 ports and BMD hardware have a great reputation.. :lol: :lol:

Also most mini converters and other hardware is not able to run utility or update on a USB3 port.. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Nerds LTD

PostTue Mar 16, 2021 11:56 pm

Along those lines, I have both a Web Presenter and a Web Presenter HD. The Web Presenter works beautifully at 720p while the Web Presenter HD not only macroblocks when used as a webcam, but it seems to be uncertain of which resolution it should output to. I was so confused by this that I recorded the phonomenon in Zoom. It's too big to be posted here but I've made the recording public on zoom's servers.

Here's the 3 minute video: https://zoom.us/rec/share/I2QMSKxxdicTiUppW2PvEWlolr8JG5ZOdgiAGhYWGNh9KVX5qeFCnCK-hiTRP8l6.wqMlzSt7CAiyvKYP?startTime=1615836525000
https://NerdsLimited.com
Legal Flyer® for iOS: Property Releases For Drone Pilots http://legalflyer.com/

noblejeanz

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 9:00 am

jacksonrod21 wrote:half the time my Mac recognizes the ATEM mini pro as a webcam and other times it doesn't. It didn't seem to have any trouble before the last black magic firmware update. Has anyone had this problem?

Same here on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15' 2015), OS 10.14.6 - sometimes the ATEM mini is recognized, sometimes not. sometimes turning the ATEM mini off and on again helps, sometimes not.
I have tried different USB A to USB-C cables, makes no difference.
Connection with the BM audio interface is there, even if the BM webcam is not recognized.
And the selectable frame rates also change from time to time, when the ATEM mini is recognized.

Are there any ideas other than unplugging again and again?

KerrGM

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 7:29 pm

I'm also interested in this. Every so often my ATEMs (mini pro & extreme) go black screen when I connect to Teams/Zoom.

It happens on both my MBP and Dell laptop and is when I'm using Teams & Zoom.

Typical scenario:
Check the Teams/Zoom device settings - shows ATEM output
Join Teams/Zoom - black screen, but ATEM PGM still shows the image
A quick mains off/on sorts it.

The only thing I can think is that it may be when I do a Zoom meeting then do a Teams meeting - and I've had similar issues when using a webcam such as Logitech

mijimij

PostFri Sep 03, 2021 11:05 am

Having a few of the same issues,
Yesterday I had a ATEM mini Extreme which works when connected to Macbook pro connected to USB C worked 1st time (with control software and as a webcam)

I've also got an Alienware Aurora R7 running Windows 10 Enterprise
Intel Core i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz, 3696 Mhz, 6 Core
With 2 USB c Inputs.

No connection was found using the same lead that works with the mac and both ports,

Then I also used a USB C to USB 3 cable which I have from a webcam and it worked, BUT the Audio from the ATEM was VERY Noisey like it was the sound of the Fam in the computer tested the same audio input into the input of the PC and audio was fine (without the noise)

Not sure if there is a plug and play error in windows 10 that is making the USB C port causing this issue.

I've tested the USB C ports with the same cable with a USB C Webcam and worked 1st time.

It's either waiting for a BM update or just giving up on Windows/ Dell USB C and the ATEM mini.

Jim

nictau

PostThu Mar 24, 2022 12:23 pm

Just to inform about another reason for this behavior:
In my case it was a dysfunctional USB-Cable.
Probably it helps someone.
Greetings.
Lenovo P15 Notebook Gen 2
128 GB RAM | Intel® Core™ i9-11950H
NVIDIA® RTX™ A5000 16GB
2x 4TB M.2 SSD
Windows 10 Pro 64

SignalCPT

PostTue May 03, 2022 3:54 am

I developed issues trying to connect my ATEM Mini Pro as webcam to Windows Cameera, Teams and WebEx via USB after a few months in use. The ATEM switch worked well with Zoom throughout, which made it all the more difficult to troubleshoot, but Windows Camera, Teams and WebEx stopped detecting the video portion. Thinking it was a Microsoft patch and after many rounds with Microsoft support I decided to check the switch settings and found the video standard under the "General" tab was set to 1080p23.98 which is a very odd setting. I understand the standard for streaming to Facebook is 1080p30, so I switched it to that as well as "Auto" and Teams and Windows Camera started working again under those settings. Haven't tried WebEx yet, but I believe it would work as well. Hope this helps.

Return to Live Production