Mac Pro 7,1 GPU

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

famojdh

  • Posts: 13
  • Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:59 pm
  • Real Name: Jesse Harris

Mac Pro 7,1 GPU

PostTue Dec 17, 2019 5:12 pm

Is there a consensus opinion from BMD or from more educated/expert people than myself regarding the nMP 7,1 GPU offerings?

I do a mix of UHD/4k editing (often multicam) and grading - is the advantage of the DUO (dual) Radeon Vega 7 worth the extra $2400 (over the single card)? Single 32g vram vs dual-cards. I'm aware the vram goes not get doubled with 2 matching cards.

Looking forward to hearing your comments.

Thank you
Offline

MishaEngel

  • Posts: 1233
  • Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:18 am
  • Real Name: Misha Engel

Re: Mac Pro 7,1 GPU

PostTue Dec 17, 2019 5:26 pm

Just wait for the reviews.
Offline
User avatar

Marc Wielage

  • Posts: 6576
  • Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:46 am
  • Location: Hollywood, USA

Re: Mac Pro 7,1 GPU

PostWed Dec 18, 2019 7:30 am

Too new to say. I don't think a lot of the developers have their 2019 Mac Pros in yet.

My guess is that the Radeon Pro Vega Pro Duo GPU will be plenty for a lot of users. Our eventual hope is to budget for a mid-priced Mac Pro with two of these. We'll see about the Afterburner at some point.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood
Offline

famojdh

  • Posts: 13
  • Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:59 pm
  • Real Name: Jesse Harris

Re: Mac Pro 7,1 GPU

PostWed Dec 18, 2019 1:52 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:Too new to say. I don't think a lot of the developers have their 2019 Mac Pros in yet.

My guess is that the Radeon Pro Vega Pro Duo GPU will be plenty for a lot of users. Our eventual hope is to budget for a mid-priced Mac Pro with two of these. We'll see about the Afterburner at some point.


Thanks for weighing in Marc! Appreciate all your input you give to the community. I guess I will be an "early-adopter" as I've pre-ordered the nMP 7,1 with 2x Pro Radeon Vega VII's - not the DUO, because Juan Salvo and others have said the DUO will be lane-sharing in their PCIe slots.

I ordered the 3.2ghz 16-core with 96g of RAM, GPU as above, 2tb SSD - no wheels ;) By the way Apple is offering a 5.5% small business discount (EIN must be supplied) and amazingly they are offering no sales tax with proper resale paperwork!! At least in NY. Total before tax $14,099 w/apple care.
Offline

Brad Hurley

  • Posts: 1463
  • Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:42 pm
  • Location: Montréal

Re: Mac Pro 7,1 GPU

PostWed Dec 18, 2019 3:51 pm

While this podcast interview is focused on Final Cut Pro X, there's some useful info in it from Thomas Grove Carter, an editor (not a colorist); he's the guy who did the "cutting at the speed of thought" presentation awhile back that you can find on youtube and caused some editors to reconsider FCPX.

Apple gave him a pre-release Mac Pro so he has had quite a bit of time with it now:

https://www.relay.fm/mpu/514
Resolve 16.1.2 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2
Offline

famojdh

  • Posts: 13
  • Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:59 pm
  • Real Name: Jesse Harris

Re: Mac Pro 7,1 GPU

PostWed Dec 18, 2019 3:52 pm

Brad Hurley wrote:While this podcast interview is focused on Final Cut Pro X, there's some useful info in it from Thomas Grove Carter, an editor (not a colorist); he's the guy who did the "cutting at the speed of thought" presentation awhile back that you can find on youtube and caused some editors to reconsider FCPX.

Apple gave him a pre-release Mac Pro so he has had quite a bit of time with it now:

https://www.relay.fm/mpu/514



Thanks a lot Brad! I will definitely give it a listen.
Offline

Ned Soltz

  • Posts: 131
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:57 pm

Re: Mac Pro 7,1 GPU

PostThu Dec 19, 2019 4:25 pm

I will be ordering a 16-core with 96gb RAM (32gb stock and another 64gb from OWC), Radeon DUO and 1 tb SSD (2x 512gb which will appear as a single 1 TB volume).

Already ascertained from BMD that my Decklink Extreme 12G can go in any slot.

Will be using a 55" LG OLED to connect via HDMI to the DeckLink Extreme, but now questioning whether it would be better to go SDI to a Teranex Mini SDI->HDMI and from the Teranex to the LG. Since the Decklink now outputs HDR via HDMI, I suspect I can do without the Teranex.

Not going with Afterburner at this point.

Debated the Promise 32tb MPX module but I honestly want to wean myself away from spinning disks. I have a G-Tech 32tb RAID (currently in RAID0 rather than RAID 5 and I just back up important files to another spinning disk).

Have here for evaluation and future review OWC Enclosure with 4x 2tb NVME drives. While pricey, I presume it will be fast and I don't have huge projects.

Anyway, would be very interested in hearing Resolve experiences with new Mac Pro. Not ordering mine until after the first of the year.
Offline

famojdh

  • Posts: 13
  • Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:59 pm
  • Real Name: Jesse Harris

Re: Mac Pro 7,1 GPU

PostThu Dec 19, 2019 5:10 pm

Ned Soltz wrote:I will be ordering a 16-core with 96gb RAM (32gb stock and another 64gb from OWC), Radeon DUO and 1 tb SSD (2x 512gb which will appear as a single 1 TB volume).

Already ascertained from BMD that my Decklink Extreme 12G can go in any slot.

Will be using a 55" LG OLED to connect via HDMI to the DeckLink Extreme, but now questioning whether it would be better to go SDI to a Teranex Mini SDI->HDMI and from the Teranex to the LG. Since the Decklink now outputs HDR via HDMI, I suspect I can do without the Teranex.

Not going with Afterburner at this point.

Debated the Promise 32tb MPX module but I honestly want to wean myself away from spinning disks. I have a G-Tech 32tb RAID (currently in RAID0 rather than RAID 5 and I just back up important files to another spinning disk).

Have here for evaluation and future review OWC Enclosure with 4x 2tb NVME drives. While pricey, I presume it will be fast and I don't have huge projects.

Anyway, would be very interested in hearing Resolve experiences with new Mac Pro. Not ordering mine until after the first of the year.


Thanks for your input Ned! Apple allowed you to "construct" that boot drive? All good - I am still cannot find an answer as to whether the DUO blocks (any)more PCIe slots than 2x Pro Vega VII. And whether 2x naked Pro Vega VII do either.

I hear you about the spinning disks... if I hadn't invested in an SAS 56T RAID5 (1.1gb/s) about 5 months ago, I'd be looking at that same 4x 2T nvme SSD solution.

I'll post back here when I receive mine! Supposedly by 1/6/20.

Return to Post Production

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests