Camera 6.7 Update

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

Camera 6.7 Update

PostTue Dec 17, 2019 11:41 pm

This new cameras update is now live on our support site.

It adds a lot of new features to URSA Broadcast as well as updates for the URSA Viewfinder, URSA Studio Viewfinder and also includes the recent Blackmagic RAW 1.6.1 update. For those wanting to shoot Blackmagic RAW on their URSA Broadcast DaVinci Resolve 16.1.2, which was released yesterday, supports all of the new URSA Broadcast Blackmagic RAW formats.

What’s new in Blackmagic Camera Setup 6.7

New features for URSA Broadcast

• Add language localization support.
• Add new demosaic algorithm for improved sensor response.
• Add extra level of gain control up to +18dB.
• Add gain slider and 1/3 stop gain adjustment.
• Add lens correction for B4 lenses.
• Add ability to remap buttons on broadcast lenses.
• Add Blackmagic RAW recording format.
• Add LUT embedding in Blackmagic RAW clips.
• Add 720p SDI output on main SDI and 720p SDI input.
• Add sensor pixel recalibration in camera.
• Add ability to adjust line level audio.
• Add sidetone level adjustment.
• Add improved ballistics and scaling of audio meters.
• Add choice of -18 or -20dB reference levels for audio meters.
• Add ability to remap the HFR button.
• Add ability to disable function and HFR buttons.
• Add press-to-focus for EF, PL and B4 lenses with focus servo.
• Add quick media switching from the heads up display.
• Add support for HDR metadata in SDI output.
• Add 'LUT' icon to status text overlays.
• Add 'PRE' icon to status text overlays for preset timecode.
• Add 2:1, 1:1 and 4:5 monitoring frame guides.
• Add customizable frame guides.
• Add ability to lock timecode to SDI Input.
• Retain jam synced timecode after power cycle.
• Improved jam sync timecode accuracy after playback.
• Improved stability when using external or program reference.
• Improved compatibility for embedded audio on SDI outputs.
• Improved thermal performance.
• Improved ND filter status text.
• Improved Canon B4 lens support.
• Improved EF lens support.
• Improved auto exposure speed and performance.
• Improved auto focus performance.
• Improved media formatting user interface.
• Improved clip playback for renamed clips.
• Numerous performance and stability improvements.
• Removed old Cinema DNG format.

New features for URSA Studio Viewfinder

• Add support for new URSA Broadcast gain settings.
• Add support for new 4:5 and 1:1 frame guides.
• Add improved ballistics and scaling of audio meters.
• Add choice of -18 or -20dB reference levels for audio meters.
• Fixed bug where focus assist changes colour on power cycle.

New features for URSA Viewfinder

• Add support for new URSA Broadcast gain settings.
• Add support for new 4:5 and 1:1 frame guides.

No new features in 6.7 for other camera models.

What’s new in Blackmagic RAW 1.6.1

• Added Blackmagic URSA Broadcast support.
• Blackmagic RAW Avid Media Composer plugin general performance and stability improvements.
• Blackmagic RAW Adobe Premiere Pro plugin general performance and stability improvements.

We are also working on a firmware update for the Blackmagic Camera & Studio Fiber Converters which will follow in 2020.

LouisBacker

Re: Camera 6.7 Update

PostWed Dec 18, 2019 2:36 pm

This looks brilliant! Having four UB's with both Canon B4's and the bundled Fujinon 16x lenses, it will be interesting to see the diffence. Great bonus with the Viewfinder monitor update too.
2 x Sony FX9, 2 x Sony FX6, 6 x Ursa Broadcasts, 2 x Canon CR-N500 PTZeds with MRMC auto-tracking, ATEM CCU, ATEM TV Studio 4K. NewTek Tricaster TC1 and 460. Dataton Watchout, Reckeen 3D Studio & vMix 4K

pederdingo

PostWed Dec 18, 2019 9:39 pm

Looks very promising, thanks Tim

jzubac

PostThu Dec 19, 2019 3:16 am

Has anyone tried the new update on the ursa brodcast. I'll try it tomorrow and see what it does.

Knut Bussian

PostThu Dec 19, 2019 4:09 pm

Hi,

I've upgraded our two UB but don't understand how to set up the REC VTR button as "push to talk" in combination with a Clearcom intercom coming from the DB25 connector of the Studio Fiber Converter.

When I set the VTR button to "push to talk" and press it, nothing happens?

Does the "Mic Switch" on the Fiber Converter affect the function and does it work at all with intercom coming through the DB25 connector?

Knut

Xtreemtec

PostThu Dec 19, 2019 4:45 pm

Knut this function only applies to the Minijack on the camera. The Fiber intercom system is completely separate from the In camera intercom system.

The website mentions that begin 2020 there will also be an update for the fiber converters. So it might get in there. But it is good you mention it now. So they can do something about it. Like sending the Push to talk data out the output of the camera as ANC data like they also do with the tally indicator on the Fiber converter. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Matt Certa

PostThu Dec 19, 2019 8:39 pm

Lots of good things in the patch. One thing I've noticed with my ENG viewfinder, is that it is back to going dark after 15-20 seconds. Guess we have to put gaffe tape over the motion sensor again?

jzubac

PostFri Dec 20, 2019 1:35 am

I done it today on 3 Ursa broadcast and the studio viewfinders. Noticed a few things right away:
1. It gets timecode right from the switcher now
2. The gain increments are good, but it only changed on the camera. I still have the old gain settings on the Atem and CCU
3. The representation of color is much more accurate
4. Image still looks grainy in low light

pederdingo

PostFri Dec 20, 2019 2:44 pm

I've done a small test 5.1 vs 6.7.

Canon HJ22xIASE.
Firmware was reset in both versions and set to 50 fps UHD 1/50 Prores 422. WB set to "Flouresent".

First impressions: Less but bigger noise. Some color shift compared to 5.1, and **some almost purple/green banding in the shadows**.

EDIT: **The purple banding I mentioned seem to have been caused by color space change in photoshop - it is not shown in Davinci - sorry for the confusion.
Overall the image appears less noisy with moving images without too much loss in detail. Very nice extra feature to the fixes in 6.7.

Moving pictures (with compression):
Attachments
bm_test.jpg
bm_test.jpg (984.78 KiB) Viewed 7358 times

LouisBacker

Camera 6.7 Update - Improved autofocus?

PostMon Jan 06, 2020 6:19 pm

In the long list of 6.7 updates, there is mention of improved autofocus performance.

I'm not aware of an autofocus facility on the Ursa Broadcast (not in the conventional camcorder-type autofocus sense anyway). Does it simply mean better at maintaining focus throughout the zoom, i.e improved parfocal performance?

Can anyone enlighten?
2 x Sony FX9, 2 x Sony FX6, 6 x Ursa Broadcasts, 2 x Canon CR-N500 PTZeds with MRMC auto-tracking, ATEM CCU, ATEM TV Studio 4K. NewTek Tricaster TC1 and 460. Dataton Watchout, Reckeen 3D Studio & vMix 4K

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

Re: Camera 6.7 Update - Improved autofocus?

PostMon Jan 06, 2020 11:23 pm

LouisBacker wrote:In the long list of 6.7 updates, there is mention of improved autofocus performance.

I'm not aware of an autofocus facility on the Ursa Broadcast (not in the conventional camcorder-type autofocus sense anyway). Does it simply mean better at maintaining focus throughout the zoom, i.e improved parfocal performance?

Can anyone enlighten?
If your EF or B4 lens has a focus servo in it then URSA Broadcast can control the focus on it.

Our auto-focus works when you have your focus servo engaged on the lens, it gets triggered instantaneously by either pressing the 'focus' button on the camera, or by a press and hold on the 4" LCD touchscreen in the region that you want to focus. The camera will attempt to focus and then stop.

It is not a continuous auto-focus function, which I believe is what you are talking about.

ducksamr

PostWed Jan 08, 2020 10:45 pm

Hello, i bought 6 URSA BROADCAST cameras, it came in factory version 5.1, after the 6.7 update, my lens stop working communication with the camera. I try everything, and the lens don't apper in lens data menu.

the iris and lens controls in CCU dont work.

my lens is a J22ex7.6b from canon.

the other cameras still in the 5.1 version and works good.

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jan 10, 2020 2:20 am

Thanks for the info. We have had this reported on a few different models of J series B4 lenses now and are looking into a fix.

Raphaël Jacquot

PostFri Jan 10, 2020 9:59 am

Tim Schumann wrote:Thanks for the info. We have had this reported on a few different models of J series B4 lenses now and are looking into a fix.

would it be possible to include some form of autofocus in the BMMSC when the lens has motorized focus ?

codyfay

PostFri Jan 10, 2020 6:03 pm

Knut Bussian wrote:Hi,

I've upgraded our two UB but don't understand how to set up the REC VTR button as "push to talk" in combination with a Clearcom intercom coming from the DB25 connector of the Studio Fiber Converter.

Does the "Mic Switch" on the Fiber Converter affect the function and does it work at all with intercom coming through the DB25 connector?

Knut

What type of db25 connector do you use, and how do you get it to your other CCU?

Cody

Matt Certa

PostSat Jan 11, 2020 2:58 pm

I found some on amazon that were a multi tiered screw down connector. No soldering or pin out mess. In a normal broadcast environment you could daisy chain all the wiring between ccu’s, but I haven’t bothered to try with the Broadcast/ BM fiber setup yet. I’m waiting for this mysterious CCU firmware update

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 12:52 am

Knut Bussian wrote:I've upgraded our two UB but don't understand how to set up the REC VTR button as "push to talk" in combination with a Clearcom intercom coming from the DB25 connector of the Studio Fiber Converter.

This won't pass through to the Fiber Converters at this stage. Both devices need a firmware update for that to happen so the 'push to talk' signal gets passed through to the Fiber Converter's talkback. This just works for in-camera talkback on URSA Broadcast using the Mini-Jack at this stage.

coyutbm

URSA Broadcast iris problem since camera update 6.7

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 11:26 am

Since the camera update 6.7 we have a problem on our URSA broadcast cameras, when setup with a specific lens.
Sometimes the iris opens automaticly even the optic is set to manual. Even the iris button on the side of the flip out screen is active when the hardware switch on the lens is set to manual.

We have currently found this problem only with the FUJINON HA16x6.3BERM-M48 lens.

When we us a FUJINON HA23x7.6BERD-S6 or FUJINON HA42x9.7BERD the problems seems not to be around. These work fine.

I guess this is a software bug in camera update 6.7

Anyone else found this problem?

Tobias Dieterich

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 6:04 pm

coyutbm wrote:Since the camera update 6.7 we have a problem on our URSA broadcast cameras, when setup with a specific lens.
Sometimes the iris opens automaticly even the optic is set to manual. Even the iris button on the side of the flip out screen is active when the hardware switch on the lens is set to manual.

We have currently found this problem only with the FUJINON HA16x6.3BERM-M48 lens.

When we us a FUJINON HA23x7.6BERD-S6 or FUJINON HA42x9.7BERD the problems seems not to be around. These work fine.

I guess this is a software bug in camera update 6.7

Anyone else found this problem?

I‘ve also discovered this problem with a Fujinon HA13x4.5BERM-M48 set to analog mode.

Another problem is that in digital mode the URSA can only read the lens name, position of the iris and the position focus wheel, but cannot control the iris.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Tobias Dieterich | T.D. Video Engineering | www.tdvideo.de

video and embedded software engineer
ready for SMPTE ST 2110

Xtreemtec

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 7:17 pm

Maybe it would be a good idea to have a Digital Control On/Off slider in the Ursa. To switch to exclusive Analog mode. As it seems there are multiple lenses that do not work correct at the moment. These lenses are not use-able on a job at the moment due too this.
A switch-able mode to Analog mode would at least give you the option to go back to a basic IRIS only mode. But you are able to run the job without needing to search for a few replacement lenses while in a jobsite. ;)
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Tobias Dieterich

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 8:15 pm

+1 for a "full analog lense mode" like Daniel suggested

ready for SMPTE ST 2110

Martin Huesler

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 8:20 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:Maybe it would be a good idea to have a Digital Control On/Off slider in the Ursa. To switch to exclusive Analog mode. As it seems there are multiple lenses that do not work correct at the moment. These lenses are not use-able on a job at the moment due too this.
A switch-able mode to Analog mode would at least give you the option to go back to a basic IRIS only mode. But you are able to run the job without needing to search for a few replacement lenses while in a jobsite. ;)

I totally agree.
With this firmware we cannot work with these lenses.
Is there a way to return to the old firmware?

Tobias Dieterich

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 9:19 pm

Martin Huesler wrote:I totally agree.
With this firmware we cannot work with these lenses.
Is there a way to return to the old firmware?

Have not tried it on the camera... on the ATEM switcher you can just install an old version and use the ATEM setup programm to downgrade.

ready for SMPTE ST 2110

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jan 15, 2020 3:08 am

Martin Huesler wrote:Is there a way to return to the old firmware?

Yes. To roll back you just uninstall Camera 6.7 on your Mac or PC. Then install Camera 5.1.1 and update the camera with that.

We will try to get hold of the Fujinon lenses mentioned above to solve that issue.

MartinOstby

PostWed Jan 15, 2020 8:12 pm

ducksamr wrote:Hello, i bought 6 URSA BROADCAST cameras, it came in factory version 5.1, after the 6.7 update, my lens stop working communication with the camera. I try everything, and the lens don't apper in lens data menu.

the iris and lens controls in CCU dont work.

my lens is a J22ex7.6b from canon.

the other cameras still in the 5.1 version and works good.

I have a same problem as ducksamr with another canon lens:
J17ex7.7 B4 IASE SX12 . (A digital SD lens)

A 22x7.6 HD lens from Canon works fine.

coyutbm

PostMon Jan 20, 2020 9:04 am

BMD helped us to get the iris problem solved. Thanks a lot for that :D
So the iris works now also correctly on our older lens (FUJINON HA16x6.3BERM-M48) after the camera 6.7 update.

The solution was to set the dip switch 1 for 'C.COM' on our lens to the 'On' position. This activated digital control and is all working well now. The picture shows the cover from the dip switches.

coyutbm

PostThu Jan 23, 2020 1:17 pm

I found another "bug"

If you want to use the push iris button on the lens handgrip, there's only one way to get it work correctly

- start camera
- turn lens to auto mode
- turn on auto exposure in the flip out screen
- choose "iris" as option (Above the iris reading a "A" apears for automatic control.
- turn auto mode on the lense "off"
- Iris push works now even in manual lens mode

If you turn off/on the camera you have to start over again...

Push to iris works, even better then in the past firmware releases but still not really usable in live szenarios.

If you want to set push to iris in manual lens mode, the "iris" only option is not available.
The only options are "shutter+iris" and "irs+shutter". Iris alone is missing until you turn the lens to "automatic mode" and choose it then.

coyutbm

Auto iris exposure

PostThu Jan 23, 2020 1:22 pm

Does anybody know if we can expect better iris auto exposure on URSA Broadcast in the near future?
It would be nice if we could use it on non operated cameras for wide shots at events.
So when the light changes it would adjust smooth without big steppings.
Other brands can do this pretty well.

Xtreemtec

PostFri Jan 24, 2020 2:56 pm

Smooth without big steps would be very nice. It seems that it now has a 1Hz (1 times a second) refresh rate for the Auto Exposure.. So in most cases the steps are way to big and sudden.

We experience this a lot with our 66x box lens. Were with 1 operator mode we tested auto exposure when zooming in on a stage we need to open up the iris to see the artists, But when zooming out you get a lot more daylight and need to close the iris to not over expose..

In auto mode you see the iris do this in 5 / 8 big steps.. Which is not usefull.

btangonan

PostSat Jan 25, 2020 10:26 pm

How do you remap the HFR button?

The function assignment screen only shows the F1 and F2 buttons for reamapping.

Knut Bussian

PostMon Jan 27, 2020 11:56 am

+1

Smoother auto exposure, yes please!

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jan 28, 2020 9:53 pm

btangonan wrote:How do you remap the HFR button?

The function assignment screen only shows the F1 and F2 buttons for reamapping.

You need to update to 6.7 if you are only seeing those two buttons on the function button setup screen.

GalKINO

PostWed Feb 19, 2020 9:38 am

MartinOstby wrote:
I have a same problem as ducksamr with another canon lens:
J17ex7.7 B4 IASE SX12 . (A digital SD lens)

A 22x7.6 HD lens from Canon works fine.

Same problem here with this canon J17ex7.7 lens.
Had to downgrade back to 5.1.1 to see the iris value again. When can we expect the solution for this? Any idea?
Alexander

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Feb 20, 2020 12:59 am

We have a fix for this on J series lenses on the way very soon.

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Feb 24, 2020 6:17 am

6.8.1 is now live on our support site here. It is really a bug fix update for improved compatibility initialising communication with J series Canon B4 lenses on URSA Broadcast.

pederdingo

PostMon Feb 24, 2020 9:02 am

Nice, thank you

coyutbm

PostMon May 11, 2020 6:28 am

We still have a aperture Problem with FUJINON HA23x7.6BERD-S6 and FUJINON HA16x6.3BERM-M48.
Sometimes the aperture gets opend fully without any input even with the dip switch 1 for 'C.COM' set to the 'On' position on the FUJINON HA16x6.3BERM-M48 and the FUJINON HA23x7.6BERD-S6 should work digitaly.

I have seen there were some camera updates since 6.7. But the fixes seem only for Canon J lenses.
Were there any fixes included for the FUJINON also? We are still on 6.7 firmware. It used to work flawless prior 6.7.

The problem is we can't replicate the problem our self. It happens random. A really big problem on live events.

I guess updating to the latest firmware is the first step. But were there any FUJINON fixes included in this release? We can't happen this again as we might loose jobs, which is not a option in theses hard days.

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostMon May 11, 2020 6:34 am

6.9.2 had some updates for Fujinon lenses on URSA Broadcast. More info here.

coyutbm

PostMon May 11, 2020 7:00 am

Thx for the info. But seems like a zoom and not an aperture fix.
We will install the latest version. Is there anything else we can do? The bug comes up randomly.

Return to Live Production