DeckLink Mini Monitor current drivers

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

lukehoward

DeckLink Mini Monitor current drivers

PostFri Dec 20, 2019 1:00 am

I have a DeckLink Mini Monitor in my MacPro5,1. It is recognised by Desktop Video Setup and Pro Tools using version 10.9.3 of the Blackmagic drivers. After upgrading to 11.4.1, it is no longer recognised. Downgrading fixes it but I am concerned that the older drivers may no longer work on future macOS versions. Is the DeckLink Mini Monitor still a supported product?

Andrew Kolakowski

Re: DeckLink Mini Monitor current drivers

PostFri Dec 20, 2019 9:30 pm

Latest driver is not always the best. Functionality doesn't really change much on those cards.
Driver should rather match your OSX. If you run fairly old one then using latest driver is not good at all.
If everything works then in most cases there is 0 reason for any update, specially with BM :D

lukehoward

PostFri Dec 20, 2019 10:26 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Latest driver is not always the best. Functionality doesn't really change much on those cards.
Driver should rather match your OSX. If you run fairly old one then using latest driver is not good at all.
If everything works then in most cases there is 0 reason for any update, specially with BM :D

Right, I’m on Mojave but I’m concerned the older driver may not support Catalina when I upgrade to a MacPro7,1.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostFri Dec 20, 2019 10:57 pm

Did you let installer to do firmware update (did you reboot your machine)? Search forum- there were people with similar problems.
When you load very new drivers there is also firmware update required on card which is finalised during machine reboot. Sometimes it's blocked by OS/antivirus etc. You have to make sure card is updated successfully. Try searching forum or asking Xtreemtec- he is familiar with all those hidden problem wit BM.

lukehoward

PostTue Dec 24, 2019 3:05 am

Thank you for the tip, installing the firmware update manually seemed to fix it. I wonder if it didn't do so automatically because Pro Tools starts at login (on my system), which acquires the device.

Return to Post Production