Frame.io--"Upload Failed"--more options/information

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Travis Ward

Frame.io--"Upload Failed"--more options/information

PostFri Sep 13, 2019 2:21 am

I'm working on a concert video with a client. The video is 1.5 hours long. It rendered fine and began its upload to Frame.io.

First, the actual upload percentage does not seem to update in realtime. Every 20 minutes or so, it jumps a few percent, so it's hard to get an idea of how far along it actually is.

Second, after hitting maybe 50%, it mysteriously went to "Upload Failed". Why? I have no idea. There is no information provided as to why it failed.

This Frame.io integration is a selling point featured on the BMD website as a great way to work with clients. However, given the lack of responses to my prior thread and other threads wondering about Frame.io, it's hard to believe BMD actually cares about how we're using it.

We need more information on how this integration works and why/when it fails.
Travis Ward

Marc Wielage

Re: Frame.io--"Upload Failed"--we NEED more options/informat

PostFri Sep 13, 2019 6:11 am

I'm a big fan of Frame.io, and I've often said "we could not do our job for clients without Frame.io" (and it's the truth).

I have encountered the "Upload Failed" problem before, and my suspicion is that it's a problem in the browser communicating to the Frame.io database. Frame.io customer support had me log out, quit the browser, relaunch the browser, relog-in back to Frame.io, and then the upload worked fine.

I'm not a fan of uploading directly from Resolve or any other program because I'm a stickler for checking the render first to make sure sound and picture (and windows or other markers) are correct. Once I know the file is correct, then I manually upload it. That works every time for me.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Robert Arnold

PostTue Dec 24, 2019 5:33 am

+ 1. The integration is great when it works, but when an upload fails or for some reason markers don't populate there is no recourse...

ambustion

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 3:11 pm

The files are stored in a temporary folder. I've found kind of inconsistent naming of the files(some are named 'original' and some use my specified file names. You can upload it after the fact directly to the browser from there if you need and just rename it. I just tried frameio for the first time ever and had a ton of problems with files that would go up and then just generate thumbnails forever and never be playable. over 13 episodes on a low low budget show, it was incredibly frustrating. I think in the future I'll definitely just be exporting to a watch folder or uploading by hand.

Major Editing

PostSat Sep 23, 2023 11:37 am

Unfortunately, this issue, for me at least, still hasn't been fixed. I've done the log out, log back in, re-authorized etc...etc...and it still fails. Unfortunately, unless it's directly uploaded into Frame from Davinci, the markers and comments from me to clients and from clients back to me don't work...they don't appear on the timeline. So you can't render it to your computer and then drag it into Frame, the comments won't work.

I've been back and forth with Frame and they claim they have no control over it in Davinci because Blackmagic built the code for the integration. Blackmagic as been TOTALLY UNRESPONSIVE!!!

Return to DaVinci Resolve