Blackmagic Cinema Camera (EF mount) Lens tests (video)

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Tom

Blackmagic Cinema Camera (EF mount) Lens tests (video)

PostWed Jun 12, 2013 6:49 pm

BMCC LENS TESTS
Camera: Blackmagic Cinema Camera 2.5k EF mount
Filming Mode: Raw 2.5k - 23.976fps -180° Shutter ISO 800
Processed using: Davinci Resolve
Lenses Used:
Canon 24-105L f4
Helios 44 58mm f2.8
Samyang/Rokinon 35mm f1.4
Helios 28mm f2.8
Sigma EX DG 20mm 1.8
Tokina 11-16mm 2.8
Samyang/Rokinon 8mm Fisheye
All shots graded the same, equal Sharpening and Noise Reduction applied - the only variations were to compensate for exposure differences.
Tom Majerski
Colourist at Tracks and Layers
http://www.Tracksandlayers.com
Motion Graphics - Colour Grading - VFX

masterok

Re: Blackmagic Cinema Camera (EF mount) Lens tests (video)

PostWed Jun 12, 2013 7:58 pm

Nice test. Well i fell in love with Samyang 35mm. Loved the look. Too bad in 8mm there is such distrotion. Seems that Tokina looks great as well, but im just worried if I have to send my camera in or all of them now have that focusing issue fixed?

Manu Gil

PostWed Jun 12, 2013 9:31 pm

Thanks Tom. Very interesting.

Tom

PostWed Jun 12, 2013 10:14 pm

masterok wrote:Nice test. Well i fell in love with Samyang 35mm. Loved the look. Too bad in 8mm there is such distrotion. Seems that Tokina looks great as well, but im just worried if I have to send my camera in or all of them now have that focusing issue fixed?

I got mine after it was apparently being fixed on the built cameras, mine only just reaches infinity, has to be turned as hard as you can until it stops rotating. Its much less of a problem at 16mm.

I also LOVE the Samyang 35mm, such a great lens! I would love them to make a 16mm or 18mm with the same quality image.
Tom Majerski

Dennis Nomer

PostFri Jun 14, 2013 8:39 am

Thanks for the test. These things are so useful!

It seems to me that there is a consideration of the ND's affecting sharpness when you open up a lens and compare with the same light. I know the lens behaves differently wide open, but I worry about the ND's.
Dennis Nomer

sean mclennan

PostTue Jun 18, 2013 5:38 pm

Tom wrote:
masterok wrote:Nice test. Well i fell in love with Samyang 35mm. Loved the look. Too bad in 8mm there is such distrotion. Seems that Tokina looks great as well, but im just worried if I have to send my camera in or all of them now have that focusing issue fixed?

I got mine after it was apparently being fixed on the built cameras, mine only just reaches infinity, has to be turned as hard as you can until it stops rotating. Its much less of a problem at 16mm.

I also LOVE the Samyang 35mm, such a great lens! I would love them to make a 16mm or 18mm with the same quality image.

Ask an ye shall be rewarded!! Samyang 16mm f2 lens shipping end of July!!

Tom

PostTue Jun 18, 2013 6:31 pm

sean mclennan wrote:
Tom wrote:

cool! I hope its one of their better lenses!
Tom Majerski

rick.lang

PostTue Jun 18, 2013 9:56 pm

sean mclennan wrote:
Tom wrote:

Good find, Sean. On the BMCC, this will perform like a 36mm lens compared to full-frame with a horizontal angle of view about 53 degrees. On the BMPC4K, it's like a 27mm lens with about 67 degrees HAOV. Wonder when the ciné version T2.1 will be released assuming they have plans for that?

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography