Intensity Shuttle USB vs Thunderbolt

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

mschubb

Intensity Shuttle USB vs Thunderbolt

PostTue Dec 24, 2019 8:02 pm

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Looking at the Shuttle to transfer legacy video (VHS, Betamax, etc.) and want the best possible output for use in documentary shot in 4K. Might also want to do HDMI capture in the future.

Is there any reason for me to get the Thunderbolt version of this card? Or will USB 3.O be just as good in actual use? Have a Windows 10 desktop (specs below) and a Thinkpad laptop (i7-8650U) w/SSD and both have USB 3.1 Gen 2, Type C inputs. Thinkpad has Thunderbolt 3.

Any other concerns about compatibility or installation? Or other devices I should consider?

Thanks again!

Mark

Desktop Specs:
MSI Z730M Gaming Pro Motherboard
7-8700K (not overclocked)
M.2 SSD drives

Xtreemtec

Re: Intensity Shuttle USB vs Thunderbolt

PostThu Dec 26, 2019 5:21 pm

The usb 3 is a bad choice. It has a few compatibility issues with current machines.

But if you want the best capture results I think you beter go for a bit more high end capture card instead of the cheapest option.

Would really look into a proper Decklink card.

Also keep in mind that you need a quality TBC TimeBaseCorrector when you are going to capture from tape.
Sticking svhs direct to the capture card won’t work in many cases as the sync on tape is really bad.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

mschubb

PostFri Dec 27, 2019 4:46 am

Thanks for your suggestions.

Massimiliano Celindano

PostMon Dec 30, 2019 2:07 pm

USB 3.1 Gen 2 can transfer data at speeds up to 10 Gbps while Thunderbolt 3 up to 40 Gbps. As you can see, there's a huge difference. Therefore, putting a Thunderbolt 3 device into a USB 3.1 Gen 2 port is anything but useful.

Return to Getting Started